We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Speculative R&D: Game Controllers

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

rusty_shackleford wrote: July 18th, 2023, 15:17
maidenhaver wrote: July 18th, 2023, 15:12
The deck still has them.
https://patents.google.com/patent/US8641525B2/en (Ironburg effectively is SCUF, same CEO/founder)

They'd probably have a hard time arguing it would also apply to a mobile game console.

Also, steam deck apparently has two on each side so they could be doing the ol' double blade razor defense.
i don't know the specifics of the case(s) but in the world of controllers right now pretty much ALL third-party controllers now come standard with at least 2 extra programmable buttons, USUALLY on the back/grips but not always. Designs aren't standardized yet so there's a lot of variety and some designs work better than others for some people.

Scuf probably held onto their specific paddle patent but it definitely hasn't stopped companies from making their own designs for extra programmable buttons; extra buttons are pretty much THE main selling point now for ALL controllers beyond 1st party, and even 1st party offer their own "premium" controllers with extra buttons as well.

Also, all third-party controllers also come almost standard now with mechanical switch or optical switch buttons and triggers. All of the controllers in my pics here have mechanical dpad/buttons/triggers, EXCEPT for the 8bitdo ultimate bluetooth (white one in charging dock) which still uses rubber membrane.

All of these pictured also have gyro as well, though not all of the gyros are six-axis. Also pretty much standard on all third-party controllers now. I don't really use gyro much however, kinda been wanting to start using it since i have so many controllers with gyro but i just can't get used to physically moving the controller for aiming.

(i have more controllers plus also arcade sticks as well... i'm kind of addicted to collecting controllers, i have about 10 different "pro" controllers now, give or take)

Last edited by aweigh on July 19th, 2023, 00:19, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 1998 »

They are certainly not innovating, but 8bitdo's are pretty good. I got an Ultimate and its realistically its the best controller I ever had.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

1998 wrote: July 21st, 2023, 17:23
They are certainly not innovating, but 8bitdo's are pretty good. I got an Ultimate and its realistically its the best controller I ever had.
it is really good. it's my main "old reliable" controller, the one I know will stand the test of time. Currently using it for street fighter 6 mainly. It's very well constructed.

Only thing that keeps it from being my #1 is:

- face buttons could be better, they feel a tad mushy.
- dpad while accurate also feels a BIT mushy.
- bumpers have a bit too much wiggle and play in their housing, i prefer a tighter bumper press.

But ^ those are just nitpicks, the actual design decision that keeps it from being my all-around main is the triggers are too hard to press and have too much travel length. Games that require keeping the LT held down become very difficult and the controller feels uncomfortable in the hand.

an 8bitdo ultimate bluetooth PRO (or ultimate 2) with shorter triggers or trigger stops and clickier buttons and bumpers would probably the best end-game controller ever made. Also 4 back buttons instead of 2, though that's not that necessary for me (would just be nice).
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

aweigh wrote: July 21st, 2023, 20:52
an 8bitdo ultimate bluetooth PRO (or ultimate 2) with shorter triggers or trigger stops and clickier buttons and bumpers would probably the best end-game controller ever made. Also 4 back buttons instead of 2, though that's not that necessary for me (would just be nice).
I've almost bought this multiple times because my dual sense is getting old and the battery life isn't so great anymore. I keep backing out because I hear the 8bitdo is a bit uncomfortable to hold and I really don't like the analog stick placement. I'd give just about anything for a good PS style gamepad with hall effect sticks.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

GhostCow wrote: July 21st, 2023, 20:56
aweigh wrote: July 21st, 2023, 20:52
I've almost bought this multiple times because my dual sense is getting old and the battery life isn't so great anymore. I keep backing out because I hear the 8bitdo is a bit uncomfortable to hold and I really don't like the analog stick placement. I'd give just about anything for a good PS style gamepad with hall effect sticks.
The 8bitdo ultimate is not the most ergonomic controller, that's true. It's not deal-breaking, you just need like 2 weeks or so to get your hands used to it. Keeping the LT held down all the way becomes uncomfortable very quickly (for me, personally), so any game where keeping the Left Trigger depressed for a long period is pretty much out of the question; mainly due to the high spring tension in both triggers and the exceedingly large amount of "travel" the triggers have.

That's pretty much its only weakness, however, and everything else about the controller is absolutely fantastic. Amazing construction quality, good plastic, feels very very solid in your hands, put some kontrolfreekz or Scuf thumbstick grips on the sticks and it can actually feel somewhat "premium" in the hand.

I can't think of any PS-style pads with Hall Effect sticks right now to recommend, however I can simply tell you which controllers I recommend currently that I own and like using:

1. (Currently my "main" controller) the BEITONG Zeus 2
Zeus 2

- has 2 extra programmable buttons up top, near the bumpers, and 4 extra programmable buttons on the back aligned alongside the grips of the controller. This is an "Xbox style" controller in both shape and analog stick placement.

- comes with 3 different modules for the ABXY buttons: 1 hard-press mechanical switch button, 1 soft-press/fast-press mechanical switch button, and 1 conventional rubber dome button module. Use whichever one you like or if one set of buttons eventually gives out then you can just pop in one of the other modules.

- comes with varying height thumbsticks, can mix and match heights. rubber material on the thumbstick caps is of good quality so it's not strictly necessary to buy aftermarket ones like kontrolfreek or scuf stick grips, the default material on the sticks is already pretty good.

- has trigger stops for the triggers, this turns the trigger from default state to a shorter press (when the feature is activated it physically slides a plastic bar about halfway thru the trigger to stop it from reaching the bottom).

- has 2 different styles of d-pad modules: 2 diamond shaped d-pad modules (one made of plastic, the other one made of metal), and 2 cross-shaped d-pads (1 plastic, 1 metal).

- d-pad and face buttons are all mechanical switches (except for the specific rubber dome face button module, obviously) and feel great to press, bumpers are "clicky" as well though i don't think they're mechanical, i think just regular rubber dome switch, but they feel great to press and make a very satisfying sound.

- can hold up to 4 profiles; set up one profile with one button config, switch to another profile with a different button mapping, etc. The controller has a dedicated profile button so you simply press it to cycle through the 4 available profiles. This is the best implementation of profile switching.

- controller software allows you to fine tune the analog stick response curves, like say making the left stick respond faster to physical input (tilt left stick 20% and output 50% movement), or say make the right stick smoother (tilt right stick 10% but output only 5%), or anything in between. Setting up curves is extremely useful when a game has a bad one, for example the default curve on remedy's Control is awful and I had to fix it with my own custom one, slow to start but with faster acceleration nearing the end of the curve.

this feature is useless to me though because I use a third-party program called ReWASD for every game and ReWASD offers even better response curve customization, however I know a lot of people don't like running extra programs so the controller software having this is a big selling point. Profiles also hold the programmed response curve, btw, same as the button mappings, so switching profiles can be an easy way of switching response curves.

- has fully-featured 6-axis gyro which you can configure to a great degree within the controller software, including things like the gyro deadzone, the gyro sensitivity and speed, whether you want to emphasize rolling or tilting for your gyro movement, and whether you want to activate the gyro when you press a button, when you HOLD DOWN a button, when you release a button, or if you want it turned on permanently. You can also enable/disable the gyro with an actual physical switch located underneath the controller.

- controller has a built-in feature that automatically makes your gyro take over the computer's mouse pointer, can be further configured in the software but works as advertised by default, just press the corresponding button and: on first press it makes your left analog stick take over your mouse cursor (left/right can be changed in software), then you can enable the gyro via its dedicated button on the controller and it will also take over the mouse pointer. can be further configured in software.

- built in macro functionality for recording button macros. i don't really care that much about it because i use ReWASD for every game I play and ReWASD allows all the macro functionality one could possibly want, but for someone who doesn't want to use extra programs running on the computer to make a simple macro then the controller offers this natively.

- high quality analog stick modules that are advertised as "professionally calibrated". I can vouch for the high quality of the analog stick modules: they come with ZERO deadzone, they both center perfectly to 0.0 on the XY axes and the software for the controller allows analog stick calibration to return them to 0.0 should they ever develop drift. Note that this isn't necessarily ground breaking, most people don't remember but ps2, gamecube and dreamcast controllers all auto-calibrated themselves to prevent or fix drift, it's the screen that popped up advising you not to press the analog sticks while booting the console, or in the gamecube's case it had its own dedicated screen for calibration (if i remember right you held down a button combination to activate it). Companies stopped doing this to cut costs as i imagine it requires more sophisticated firmware on the controllers. So it's not hall effect but it's the closest thing to it in terms of drift prevention (should it ever happen).

- analog sticks come with metal rings around the shafts for maximum smoothness when gliding around the stick gate, and I can attest they are EXCEEDINGLY smooth. they feel like butter in motion, just pure joy.

- Premium-feeling rubberized grips. The kind of thing you didn't know you wanted in a controller until it touches your hands, then you want rubberized grips on every controller.

So far I've had my Zeus 2 for about 1 month and it is a fantastic controller and have noticed no issues whatsoever.

2. Flydigi Apex 3
Apex 3

- a lot of the same features that the Zeus 2 above has in overall terms as the zeus 2 and the apex 3 are direct competitors of each other, with BEITONG and Flydigi being the two biggest third party controller companies in Chyna.

- has 4 extra programmable buttons located in a row along the BACK of the controller. I actually find this placement to be superior to the Zeus 2 placement, although the apex 3 lacks the extra two "top" buttons and I've grown to really like those.

- High-quality calibrated potentiometers/analog stick modules, steel anti-friction rings on the stick shafts (not as amazingly smooth as the ones on the Zeus 2, but smooth), elevated hybrid-style mechanical switch D-pad (actually the BEST d-pad i've ever used), mechanical switch ABXY face buttons, rubber dome switch bumpers, 4 separate profiles + profile switching on the controller (though not as good as the zeus 2's profile switch button).

- like the zeus 2 it is also mechanical switch abxy face buttons however i find the buttons on the apex 3 to require a bit too much force to press. they feel great and give a good mechanical "click" but the actuation force is high enough that i don't like using it for games that require me to mash buttons, like say the recent God of War, or the new Star Wars: Jedi games, where you press X and Y a lot to use light/strong attacks; for those types of games I found the apex 3 mechanical buttons are just "stiff" enough that it did begin to make my thumb feel tired after extended use. Also disqualifies the controller for fighting game use as well, even though the apex 3 d-pad is one of the best d-pads i've ever used.

- also has its own software program that allows pretty much all of the same features i talked about with the zeus 2. Six-axis gyro customization, macro recording, button remapping, analog stick re-calibration to prevent or fix drift, response curve customization through the controller software, etc.

- big CON is they sell you the different-height thumbsticks separately, controller only comes with 2 'regular height' ones; however the rubber material on the stick caps is of excellent quality and they feel incredibly grippy. No real need to get aftermarket ones for these, same as the zeus 2, they just feel really good on your thumbs.

- What sets the Apex 3 apart from others in its field is that it has the same type of adaptive feedback triggers that the PS5 controller has, and you can enable it for specific games via the Flydigi software; it will then enable the PS5 adaptive trigger features in the game if it has some (usually needs to be toggled within the in-game menu as well). This is a selling point for some people but frankly speaking I tried this out on some games and I realized i didn't really like it, I just think it gets in the way. I tried it out on Cyberpunk 2077 and while it is cool at first how each different gun produces a completely different trigger feedback, after a few minutes i just became annoyed that the trigger became so stiff to press when i used a sniper, and stuff like that. i just want to press the trigger i don't want it to fight me lmao.

luckily you can use the software to make the trigger emulate a trigger stop by setting it to stiffen at about 25-30%, so when you press the trigger about 30% it will then activate maximum dampening and become "stiff", effectively emulating a trigger stop. Obviously not as good as a real trigger stop because if you keep pressing it will obviously give way, but still better than nothing.

- has a useless lcd screen on the center of the controller that tells you remaining battery or visual profile switching; this is actually INFERIOR to the Zeus 2 profile switching because on the Zeus 2 there is a dedicated PROFILE button and you can simply press it to cycle between your 4 button profiles, and this is MUCH faster than having to navigate the little screen menu on the apex 3. The best use I found for it was for putting a funny rabbit GIF on it that loops while I use the controller.

- also has premium-feeling rubberized grips on the controller and in fact they're even better than the rubber material on the Zeus 2. it simply feels great on the hands. very comfortable.

Have had the apex 3 for about 7 months and so far it's working great. No drifting, no nothing, just works as advertised.

3. 8bitdo ultimate bluetooth
8bitdo ultimate bluetooth

- all buttons are rubber dome switch, however they feel fine to press and rubber dome buttons and d-pad are time-tested and battle worn and will literally last decades. also softer to press than mechanical switch buttons so some people prefer rubber dome anyway just because of this.

- has 2 extra programmable buttons located on the back of the controller. I actually find them uncomfortable to press and rarely use them.

- also has gyro however it is NOT six-axis gyro, so not as "good" as the gyro on the controllers listed above. i haven't really tested it that much, personally, but i have no doubt that it should suffice for any gyro related activity in a game that requires it, like those shrine puzzles in new Zelda games for example. i mean it's literally marketed as a Switch controller so i imagine it should work.

- gyro does NOT work when connected to PC via XINPUT mode, it ONLY works via DINPUT mode. you can use the controller on pc via dinput mode however you need to then use third-party software to configure the controller buttons, be it steam input API or something like ReWASD. So, basically, when in normal XINPUT PC mode it doesn't let you use the gyro.

- analog sticks do NOT have high quality rubber on them so I recommend putting some kontrolfreekz or scuf stick grips on them. big improvement.

- dpad feels kinda mushy but it's still a good dpad. in fact i use it as my main SF6 controller at the moment. it's essentially like an old SNES style dpad and works great.

- also has controller software but it's pretty basic, just remap buttons and make profiles.

- has dedicated profile switching button like the zeus 2. Gyro on/off has to be configured via the software however, no physical gyro button. Can be configured in the software similarly to the zeus 2 and apex 3 gyros. Doesn't really matter much anyway since like i said, the controller gyro doesn't work on XINPUT mode and using it in DINPUT mode requires jumping through hoops on PC.

- big PRO is it comes with its own charging dock which lets you put the wireless dongle inside it so it will only occupy 1 usb slot on your PC. the signal strength is also EXCELLENT and reaches pretty damn far.

- almost forgot, the main selling point is that it has Hall Effect analog sticks which are "drift proof". as far as how they feel they feel just fine, however i find that the spring tension in the 8bitdo ultimate BT sticks is higher than normal for controllers and they feel ever so slightly 'heavier' to move than other analog sticks. This sounds like a bigger deal than it is in reality, the sticks feel fine, but as an example they are definitely higher-tension than the analog sticks on say, a regular stock xbox controller. Some people actually prefer this, however, and this would in fact be a PRO for them, in fact higher-tension spring strength is an actual feature/selling point for the xbox Elite controllers. Perosnally speaking however i prefer a more looser stick, not a fan of the high spring tension.

- Overall one of the most "solid" feeling controllers i've ever held in my hands. this thing feels like it will never break or stop functioning.

Have had the 8bitdo Ultimate since it came out and have used it extensively and it is still working exactly the same way as on the first day.

4. BIGBIGWON "Blitz"
Blitz

- regular ALPS sticks however mine work perfectly, they center to 0.0 xy without issue. no deadzones to speak of, they work great. Much higher quality potentiometers than what you find in "stock" xbox/PS controllers, which are bottom of the barrel.

- you can configure things via button combinations (remapping buttons, profile switching, etc).

- actually has a 6-axis gyro. it is advertised and sold as a Switch controller so it SHOULD be good enough gyro for the gyro things Switch games require.

- ALL mechanical: mechanical d-pad, mechanical face buttons, mechanical bumpers, and mechanical "mouse-click" triggers. However the triggers aren't analog so that means it's unusable for racing games or any other game where the analog trigger is utilized for stuff like throttle or whatever.

- controller shape is like the Switch Pro controller.

- has 2 extra programmable buttons located alongside the grips of the controller and 2 extra "top" buttons located next to the bumpers and triggers, similar to the Zeus 2. They're mechanical switch as well and are comfortable to access and press.

- actually has a rubberized grip on the handles as well and it's surprisingly high-quality.

- this is BIGBIGWON's 2nd controller, it's actually relatively new and they're trying to compete with flydigi and beitong and 8bitdo and i gotta say, it's a damn good controller. it feels great in the hand, feels solid, oh and the rubber material on the analog stick caps is also surprisingly high quality as well. Feels like they wanted to make a statement.

- dpad is mechanical and very clicky however it's actually fucking TERRIBLE for actual usage; too stiff and unpleasant to use. I mean it's obviously still functional, it's fine for navigating menus, but doing a hadoken on this thing is completely out of the question.

- ABXY face buttons feel good to press however they use a "flat" design for the button surface and I find i'm not a big fan of the flat button, i prefer a more rounded keycap. kinda hard to explain until you experience it yourself. functionallity and feel-wise they feel just fine for use however, and they are very soft-press, you can really mash them like crazy and get some good speed going. definitely zero problems with actuation force here.

Have had the Blitz for a short time only, since it came out, but it's already made me a fan of BIGBIGWON. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on their future controllers, might possibly have a new top player in the controller market if they keep up the quality like this.

5. flydigi "Direwolf"
Direwolf

- this is flydigi's "budget" offering, sold for $45 and for this price it is a fucking AMAZING controller.

- xbox shaped with xbox style stick layout.

- normal plastic shell, buttons are regular rubber dome switch, no trigger stops or anything fancy.

- however it does have a bit of rubberized grip, surprisingly.

- has 2 extra programmable buttons on the back.

- same high quality ALPS stick modules that flydigi uses on all of their controllers, with high quality potentiometers.

- has the same elevated hybrid-style d-pad that the apex 3 has, though rubber dome switch instead of mechanical. Regardless I find the flydigi d-pad design to be one of the best d-pad designs I've ever used. Since the buttons are rubber dome switch they are soft to press, so ironically Flydigi's budget offering is better for street fighter than their flagship controller.

It's a simple controller but for the price this thing is an absolute STEAL. Can't give enough praise to this, it's just a really good controller for a really low price.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

aweigh wrote: July 19th, 2023, 00:01
J1M wrote: July 18th, 2023, 23:27
General Reign wrote: July 18th, 2023, 21:21

When I was speaking on the steam controller I meant the touchpad on the front. Hell I don't even know what those buttons on the back could be used for. I have them on one controller and they just sit there unused.
They are alternative face buttons in the competitive Xbox shooter scene. Allowing players to jump without taking their thumb off the aiming stick, for example.

On PC I am sure you could configure them to perform more actions.
Yeah, I use ReWASD to program back buttons/extra top buttons on my controllers. I love that program, it's fantastic. You can make crazy custom profiles with lots of different ways to bind inputs, like layers, shift-layers, modifier button, long-press, double-press, triple-press activations, etc.

My current controller has 6 programmable buttons and i don't even have enough uses for all of them, i mainly use 3.
What specific functions do you use the extra buttons for in certain games if you do not mind me asking?
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

General Reign wrote: July 22nd, 2023, 07:33
aweigh wrote: July 19th, 2023, 00:01
J1M wrote: July 18th, 2023, 23:27

They are alternative face buttons in the competitive Xbox shooter scene. Allowing players to jump without taking their thumb off the aiming stick, for example.

On PC I am sure you could configure them to perform more actions.
Yeah, I use ReWASD to program back buttons/extra top buttons on my controllers. I love that program, it's fantastic. You can make crazy custom profiles with lots of different ways to bind inputs, like layers, shift-layers, modifier button, long-press, double-press, triple-press activations, etc.

My current controller has 6 programmable buttons and i don't even have enough uses for all of them, i mainly use 3.
What specific functions do you use the extra buttons for in certain games if you do not mind me asking?
Well, for example in Red Dead Redemption 2 I map the 6 extra buttons on the Zeus 2 to the numberic 1-6 keys, so I can quick-swap weapons without having to bring up the weapon wheel. Do the same thing in Cyberpunk 2077, map the back buttons to 1-4 or 1-6 (depending on which controller I'm using). Of course, the game has to allow multi-input switching between KB/mouse and Controller, but luckily the majority of modern games allow switching inputs on the fly without issue.

Just started playing Necromunda: Hired Gun (will probably uninstall it soon though as I'm not enjoying it much) and I put B and A buttons on the 2 most easily accessible back ones so I can hit dodge and jump with the back buttons; that way I don't have to move my right thumb from the stick in order to hit B or A. I also do the same with Halo: Infinite, put crouch and jump on the back buttons so I can press them via back button without having to move the right thumb over to the ABXY face buttons.

In fact that was how back buttons originated, the desire to put ABXY inputs on the back so you could press them without having to move the right thumb off the stick, but one can always find more ways to use them.

Another good use is having one of the extra buttons act as the gyro button, for enabling it/disabling it when pressed or held down. If you wanted to cheat in Street Fighter or something you could put in special moves or combos on them, though that's dumb of course. I know flight sim and vehicle/truck sim enjoyers like to use controllers with extra buttons for all the crazy inputs they require but I don't really play any sims.
Last edited by aweigh on July 22nd, 2023, 16:41, edited 2 times in total.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

New budget-price Hall Effect stick controller just dropped that's getting amazing reviews:

Only problem is it's wired only. GameSir has a good reputation in the controller market, tho. Don't own a GameSir controller right now but I'm curious, might be the next one I get, or hopefully they make a wireless one next.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

these look really nice... the 8bitdo famicom 40th anniversary limited edition runs of their Ultimate contorller.
Last edited by aweigh on July 25th, 2023, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 1998 »

Damn, now I wish I wouldn't already own a regular ultimate.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

GameSir has released their new controller for PC, the budget-friendly "Cyclone", featuring magnetic hall effect sticks, hall effect triggers, six-axis gyro and 2 programmable back buttons. The standard version uses rubber-dome conducive buttons while the 'pro' version features mechanical switch buttons. The pro version also has rubber grips I believe.

I already ordered the standard version of the controller and can't wait to try it out, it will be my first GameSir controller and they have excellent word of mouth right now as a new player in the controller business. They are currently the only ones beside GuliKit sourcing the high resolution k-silver magnetic hall sensors which are of better quality than the ones 8bitdo used for their Ultimate BT controller.

IINE also recently dropped (as in yesterday) THEIR new PC-oriented controller, the Sirius. It's also budget-friendly at only $50 and features mechanical switch buttons, d-pad, magnetic hall effect analog sticks and also features trigger stops (which the GameSir one does not have). Also has 2 programmable buttons on the back. It also uses the "hybrid" circular d-pad which I *much* prefer over the traditional cross-shaped d-pad. No clue on the quality of the components, there's very little word of mouth about IINE other than that they make a ton of Switch controllers with pretty colors. I believe this is their first non-Switch controller as well.

I also already ordered one, should be getting it in a few days since I didn't want to pay extra for faster shipping. My only concern is that it's simply "too good to be true", a 50 dollar controller with all-mechanical buttons, trigger stops, circular "hybrid" d-pad, back buttons and hall effect joysticks and triggers? There's gotta be a catch. We'll see when it arrives!

aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

I actually saw a review of the new Lenovo Legion Go handheld gaming PC and it actually has this exact same type of "mouse" control technology built into it (video timestamped):

Basically you detach the right controller off the device and you pace it inside the provided "base", then you hit the "mouse mode" switch and it becomes an upright mouse. When in this upright position the two "back buttons" suddenly become the 'gun' triggers.

Never tried it myself but apparently there's something to it, the reviewer I was watching mentioned that after about 20 mins of using the detachable "controller" as a table-mouse he found himself being quite competitive and that he enjoyed using it like that.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

I don't think I'll ever be able to not laugh when I hear someone claim to be "quite competitive" playing on a shitty tablet.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

I've actually been interested in this Thrustmaster controller for a while now but I don't feel like paying $150 bucks for a wired controller. Plus the racing wheel add-on would be extra as well.

Looks intriguing tho.

Last edited by aweigh on October 10th, 2023, 03:49, edited 3 times in total.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

Yeah, $150 for a racing-dedicated controller is stupid. At that point you buy a wheel, or you get a NegCon and save yourself $120. For $50-60 it would be a curious buy to consider. Gamepads have become insultingly expensive. The wheel itself doesn't seem to have that much range either.

This thing came bundled with RRT4 for $60 and has force feedback. Gamers are the greatest goys.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

Just got my GameSir T4 "Cyclone" yesterday and used it for a little bit. I'll just keep this brief because I don't have the energy to type out a whole review. Before I continue, I want to remind people that the regular Xbox controller costs $60, and I'll be comparing this one to that one, and the regular Xbox controller does not have gyro, back buttons or hall effect analog sticks, or a built-in rechargeable battery.

If you want a cheap controller to use on your PC get this one. It's only $40 on Amazon and, while still using relatively "cheap" plastics (don't expect premium rubber grips or soft-touch plastic materials), it still manages to feel well-built and of higher overall construction quality than the regular 1st party Xbox controller.

It has hall effect analog sticks which means they will never get drift, return to center perfectly and don't snap or 'stick' to cardinal axis directions like some controllers do; hall effect triggers which means they have perfect 0-100% degree activation (other triggers only begin activation from around the 30% mark, making them bad for using as throttles or things like that), perfectly fine rubber-dome switch face buttons that are of slightly higher quality and feel than the ones on a regular Xbox controller, and a very 'clicky' cross-shaped D-PAD (means they put a steel ring underneath just like MS does with the regular Xbox controller), which I found to work acceptably for any type of game, including 2d platforming and for doing fighting game moves. And of course 2 extra programmable back buttons which feel 'fine' and are in a good position for your fingers to press.

D-PAD acceptability is highly subjective however, and no, it's not as good as the D-PAD on the 8bitdo Ultimate line of controller, so if the D-PAD is a priority then I still recommend going with 8bitdo. In fact, even as much as I like this Cyclone it's still difficult to recommend over an 8bitdo as there are cheaper variants of the 8bitdo controllers that compete with the Cyclone's price, except that the only 8bitdo variant with hall effect analog sticks is the Ultimate BT which retails for $75 dollars, making it almost twice the price as this Cyclone. You can get cheaper 8bitdo controllers but they won't have hall effects, whereas this Cyclone does have them and for $40. But yes, the D-PAD is still the weakest part in this Cyclone. It's... "fine", but no more.

It also comes with gyro controls (I don't really use gyro much but I know a lot of people love using it, like have it only activate when they aim down sights), and it features "impulse vibration" which is just Microsoft's marketing for having 4 vibration motors instead of 2 (not many 3rd party controllers bother putting in all 4 vibration motors, most only use 2 of them).

Of particular note I want to praise the exceptionally well-calibrated analog sticks which have an astoundingly low circularity error rate (which means it's using high quality hall effect analog modules paired with a good controller firmware where someone actually took the time to calibrate things properly). The controller also has an option for enabling "zero deadzone" mode on the analog sticks which is always great to have (should be a standard feature, in my opinion).

Lastly, while it's subjective I also really like the overall shape and how it feels in the hand. Over the years, and after owning so many different controllers, I've found that the one thing that matters most in the end is simply how the controller feels in your hands, and damn this Cyclone is comfortable as hell. Every button feels naturally reachable and I never feel like my hands or fingers are strained. It's basically a copy of the regular Xbox controller shell shape but slightly refined to be a tiny bit more angular instead of arrow-shapped. I especially like how the bumpers on this Cyclone feel better-placed than they do on the regular Xbox controller.

It's not the best at anything, it doesn't have switchable sticks or hair triggers, but it's priced at $40 and is of superior overall quality to the regular Xbox controller. The way I see it right now, if you're looking for a "cheap" controller that's also "good", there is simply no better choice. Get this one, it won't disappoint for its price. And it will probably go lower in price as time goes on and GameSir releases new models. I also saw it for $35 on AliExpress.

EDIT: The "Pro" version of the Cyclone comes with mechanical switch face buttons but the price also increases to $50, and from the reviews I've watched it seems the mechanical switches they used are of low quality as most of the reviewers didn't seem to like them. Considering that is the only difference I do not think it's worth spending the extra money. As time has gone on I have found I do not actually like mechanical switches as much as I did when they were still a novelty; I like the very expensive ones like the switches on the Razer Wolverine and the Beitong Zeus 2 controllers, those feel great, but on "cheap" controllers I find that the low quality switches and buttons that they use make for a bad combination resulting in something inferior to simple, conventional rubber-dome buttons.

Last edited by aweigh on October 12th, 2023, 22:12, edited 19 times in total.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

So it's an Xbox controller for people that spent all their money on RGB?
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

I also received the new IINE Sirius controller as well but have mixed feelings on it. Might make a post about it later.

In other news, the new Scuf "Envision" controller for PC has been officially released:
https://scufgaming.com/pc-controllers/s ... sion-black

If you want my knee-jerk reaction it's simple, way too overpriced for what it is... but, that said, Scuf materials are of very high quality. The best soft-touch plastic cases, the best analog stick rubber caps and the best rubberized grips. Also the best "mouse-click" trigger stops. High price but a premium-feeling product.

...though this particular new controller looks ugly as hell. I do not like the design, or the Playstation-style layout. A lot of very weird decisions made for this new release, like the Vantage-style side-buttons and the PS4 pad shell shape. Considering Razer has semi-standardized extra top buttons by nestling them between the bumpers and the triggers, it is incredibly bizarre to me that Scuf would attempt to bring back their outdated Vantage-style side-buttons. Very odd. A lot of odd things about this design.

Also Scuf decided NOT to use hall effect analog sticks, making this a non-starter for me. The age of potentiometer-based sticks is dead. Very bad move by Scuf, shows how greedy and money-grubbing they are.

EDIT: Also I just noticed that Scuf gated the Wireless Connectivity function behind the "pro" $180 model only... LOL. Fuck Scuf.

Here is how Razer does the extra top buttons, and this design has now been almost standardized in the 3rd-party controllers who do decide to add extra top buttons:

Meanwhile, Scuf is putting them on the side instead, something they attempted to do with their old Vantage controller and it proved to be a bad design choice. Really no clue on why they decided to attempt to bring it back instead of just doing what Razer does, which is what everyone else (who adds top buttons) does.
Last edited by aweigh on October 12th, 2023, 22:28, edited 8 times in total.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

You clearly aren't that price sensitive. Why make such a big deal of $20 in your review?
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

the yawman arrow pad has finally finalized production, or is about to; i was told by a fellow controller enthusiast that they are about to receive a final product version of the yawman and they will have a review up for it soon.

this video isn't the review, this is just to show what the yawman is because it's easier to show than to explain.

Last edited by aweigh on October 14th, 2023, 05:48, edited 1 time in total.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

i hope they do another one of these videos for the Series controllers, as the Series controller is my favorite Xbox controller ever.

aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

Really can't praise 8bitdo controllers enough. They just make really solid, good controllers for a good price.

If you're ever in doubt as to what to get, and you're on PC, and you just don't want to bother researching controllers then just get an 8bitdo. It won't do you wrong.

Last edited by aweigh on November 4th, 2023, 23:02, edited 2 times in total.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

HYPR is an absolute scam company, as evidenced here. Love watching this guy repair controllers, and his commentary on the garbage work of some companies.

Rand

Post by Rand »

aweigh wrote: December 28th, 2023, 21:06
HYPR is an absolute scam company, as evidenced here. Love watching this guy repair controllers, and his commentary on the garbage work of some companies.

They have the nerve to charge 250 pounds for that trash?!? No!

Post by 1998 »

They look cheap, damn. Not even bothered to design some premium looking shell.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

aweigh wrote: December 28th, 2023, 21:06

Feel like it's a well deserved butt fucking if you spend $250 on a controller.