We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Aeon Flux

Movies? TV shows? Books? Comics? Music? It goes here.
revenant

Post by revenant »

rusty_shackleford wrote: July 16th, 2023, 14:01
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Æon_Flux
Æon Flux /ˌiːɒn ˈflʌks/
:groan:
æ does not make an 'ee' sound, I already feel like I'm being punished
aeon
noun
ae·​on
Synonyms of aeon
chiefly British spelling of EON

: an immeasurably or indefinitely long period of time : AGE

eon
noun
ˈē-ən ˈē-ˌän

Rusty's autism is overpowering even his anglo retardation
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

revenant wrote: July 16th, 2023, 14:10
rusty_shackleford wrote: July 16th, 2023, 14:01
Æon Flux /ˌiːɒn ˈflʌks/
:groan:
æ does not make an 'ee' sound, I already feel like I'm being punished
aeon
noun
ae·​on
Synonyms of aeon
chiefly British spelling of EON

: an immeasurably or indefinitely long period of time : AGE

eon
noun
ˈē-ən ˈē-ˌän

Rusty's autism is overpowering even his anglo retardation
Modern 'ae' and æ do not make the same sound. Æ is the vowel sound in 'cat'.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

It's like Dragon Age using a "fantasy D" for its logo despite that not being an actual D. Just purely for style.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

WhiteShark wrote: July 16th, 2023, 09:01
These points are entirely unrelated. Meaning that isn't immediately obvious is fine; meaninglessness renders the whole affair pointless.
I don't think any of the aeon flux episodes are meaningless.
In terms of plot they certainly all make sense. The themes explored also tend to be pretty clear. The worst you could say is that whatever message it might be trying to deliver isn't usually spelled out in big bold letters.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Acrux wrote: July 16th, 2023, 09:02
maidenhaver wrote: July 16th, 2023, 08:56

Art doesn't need to tell stories or have any rhyme or reason.
This is literally postmodernism.
Yes but it's not accurate to say that AF doesn't tell a story or have any rhyme or reason.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I've never seen Aeon Fucks, I just get tired of hearing how thing bad because postmodern.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Emphyrio wrote: July 16th, 2023, 16:44
WhiteShark wrote: July 16th, 2023, 09:01
These points are entirely unrelated. Meaning that isn't immediately obvious is fine; meaninglessness renders the whole affair pointless.
In terms of plot they certainly all make sense. The themes explored also tend to be pretty clear. The worst you could say is that whatever message it might be trying to deliver isn't usually spelled out in big bold letters.
I'll take your word for it, having not watched the show myself. My response was only directed at @maidenhaver's false equivalence between obscure meaning and a lack of meaning.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

There was no false equivalence with obscure meaning. I told you that something can have no meaning, and that thing with no meaning can be given meaning. Having no meaning is ok. If you want something to have meaning, go ahead and give it ten layers of meaning.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

It's like the people commenting on the show did not see it when it came out or something. This was before anime was in every asshole and before Adult Swim. It was before that thing you like - zoom zoom. It was all style without substance and that was fine because it AIRED DURING FUCKING COMMERCIAL BREAKS YOU FUCKING AUTISTS.
MadPreacher

Post by MadPreacher »

General Reign wrote: July 16th, 2023, 18:06
It's like the people commenting on the show did not see it when it came out or something. This was before anime was in every asshole and before Adult Swim. It was before that thing you like - zoom zoom. It was all style without substance and that was fine because it AIRED DURING FUCKING COMMERCIAL BREAKS YOU FUCKING AUTISTS.
Yup, that's why it never caught on. The animation was compressed into 120 second bursts that made no sense until they were released as single episodes in the first season. The storyline was created after the 120 second shorts because there was no voice acting or continuity. Aeon died after episode. In the second season they went to five minute episodes, but still lacked any voice or storylines.

Season 3 was half an hour long that had full voice and an actual storyline.
Last edited by MadPreacher on July 16th, 2023, 18:40, edited 1 time in total.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

Emphyrio wrote: July 16th, 2023, 16:44
Well Chronophasia is infamous for being intentionally impenetrable. Amusing analysis here https://coagulopath.com/analysis-of-aeo ... onophasia/ "It's just a dream bro." basically.
Last edited by Roguey on July 16th, 2023, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

I got about a fourth of the way through and I have to say, this feels like some german commie gobbledygook and I'm not watching the rest.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

General Reign wrote: July 16th, 2023, 18:06
Of course I never watched it. Why would I? That isn't why I'm here.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

Once again all of you are watching it the wrong way it was never meant to be viewed like that. Back then the animation was actually good because we did not have 100,000,000,000 shows to watch online.

Basically just don't engage with the material none of you are gonna like it.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

rusty_shackleford wrote: July 16th, 2023, 18:17
I got about a fourth of the way through and I have to say, this feels like some german commie gobbledygook and I'm not watching the rest.
Called it.
Æon Flux is set in a surreal German Expressionist-style futuristic universe.
I can spot g*rmoid machinations from a mile away.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

Emphyrio wrote: July 16th, 2023, 07:43
KnightoftheWind wrote: July 16th, 2023, 03:23
The equivalent of duct-taping a banana to a museum wall and calling it high art. If a piece of entertainment is heinously ugly, I don't find any desire to "dig deep" into any of it's themes. It's not something that enriches my understanding of anything. It's just an exercise in patience, and anyone who unironically likes shows like Aeon Flux is a spiritual redditor and a bit of a jew.
your neurotic seething is pretty jewy tbh
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

rusty_shackleford wrote: July 16th, 2023, 18:34
I can spot g*rmoid machinations from a mile away.
Yes, like I said, Chung was inspired by Egon Schiele but he himself is Korean and certainly not a commie given his thoughts on North Korea.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

i liked aeon flux a lot as a kid, it was cool and edgy for a cartoon

movie was awful
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

Of course the movie was going to be awful since you had to piece together the plot to begin with - the best they had to work with was pointy grass. Also, I hate Charlize Theron. I think I started hating her when she played that hooker bitch in Monster.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Roguey wrote: July 16th, 2023, 18:16
Well Chronophasia is infamous for being intentionally impenetrable. Amusing analysis here https://coagulopath.com/analysis-of-aeo ... onophasia/ "It's just a dream bro." basically.
It isn't all that confusing to me.

The boy is a prehistoric human with time control abilities and he puts Aeon into a live-die-repeat time loop through alternate timelines.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Apparently german and swedish both dropped æ in favor of ä, neat.
I prefer the way æ looks tbh, but it would be confusing to write ðæt. Too bad my university didn't offer norwegian or danish.