We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Aeon Flux

Movies? TV shows? Books? Comics? Music? It goes here.
Emphyrio

Aeon Flux

Post by Emphyrio »

What do we think of this? Amazing animation, freakish fetishism, inscrutable plots.

Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

KnightoftheWind wrote: July 15th, 2023, 19:38
Post-modern vomit.
please explain what you think post-modern means in this sentence
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

Emphyrio wrote: July 15th, 2023, 19:45
Post-modern vomit.
Do I need to explain?, really?, just look at it. Characters don't make sense, animation doesn't make sense, there is no plot, there is no meaning to any of it, bizarre imagery for the sake of bizarre imagery, and to top it all off it's an MTV production. Should I install a neon sign for you, too?.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

KnightoftheWind wrote: July 15th, 2023, 19:58
Post-modern vomit.
Do I need to explain?, really?, just look at it. Characters don't make sense, animation doesn't make sense, there is no plot, there is no meaning to any of it, bizarre imagery for the sake of bizarre imagery, and to top it all off it's an MTV production. Should I install a neon sign for you, too?.
Ok, so you're using "post-modern" as a slur for a thing you don't like, not saying Aeon Flux is post-modern in the literal sense of the word. Got it.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

Looks pretty cool. Might watch more later. I don't like how only the protagonist knows how to aim though.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Dead wrote: July 15th, 2023, 20:22
I don't like how only the protagonist knows how to aim though.
keep watching
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Post-modern vomit.
None of that is bad, but a matter of personal taste. Its refreshing not to have a plot or grand narrative when new narratives are constantly forced on us. Your need to systematize everything like a protestant, into some cataclysmic duel of fates, is what's become tiresome. Not postmodernism. You need to put jesus to rest, along with the rest of wokism.
KnightoftheWind

maidenhaver wrote: July 15th, 2023, 22:28

None of that is bad, but a matter of personal taste. Its refreshing not to have a plot or grand narrative when new narratives are constantly forced on us. Your need to systematize everything like a protestant, into some cataclysmic duel of fates, is what's become tiresome. Not postmodernism. You need to put jesus to rest, along with the rest of wokism.
Well that's one of the dumbest things I've read in a while, nice job. Well, if you feel so passionately about it, feel free to CONSOOOOM as much MTV tripe as you want. It's clearly made for your type.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

Lay off the memes.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

KnightoftheWind wrote: July 15th, 2023, 23:02

Well that's one of the dumbest things I've read in a while, nice job. Well, if you feel so passionately about it, feel free to CONSOOOOM as much MTV tripe as you want. It's clearly made for your type.
If you want to start a prayer crusade to destroy MTV, I'll join.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

The shorts, the series, and The Herodotus File are all great.

Very personal series for Peter Chung since Bregna and Monica were obviously inspired by North and South Korea. And of course the fetishes. Love how the extreme freedom-at-any-cost Monican philosophy sometimes makes Aeon someone I don't want to see succeed. Everyone's morally compromised, and sometimes Trevor makes a good point. The War episode from the shorts is a fantastic story about challenging your sympathies, and it runs circles around the pathetic attempt Neil Druckmann made decades later.
This guy got filtered.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

why is it wrong to like things that make sense
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

I liked watching it as a teen in the 90s because I always thought I might see boobs.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

aweigh wrote: July 16th, 2023, 00:55
Sometimes stories are more enjoyable when every little thing isn't explained to death. :Inspector:

But if you've gotta know, the motivations of the characters make a lot more sense when you realize that Goodchild is not a cardboard villian, he's a frustrated Pelagian personality. That is, he believes in the essential goodness of man but takes a heavy-hansed approach to governance because people fail to live up to his unrealistic expectations. Goodchild does a lot of admirable things. Aeon is in many ways more of a villian than he is, and you see that even in the unvoiced season. Aeon's main motivation in the voiced season is often sexual jealousy directed at Goodchild. It's heavily implied that they were once lovers, Aeon's secret agent job is either the cause of their falling out or a consequence of it.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

Emphyrio wrote: July 16th, 2023, 01:59
Sometimes stories are more enjoyable when every little thing isn't explained to death. :Inspector:
Last edited by aweigh on July 16th, 2023, 02:19, edited 1 time in total.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

Emphyrio wrote: July 16th, 2023, 01:59

But if you've gotta know, the motivations of the characters make a lot more sense when you realize that Goodchild is not a cardboard villian, he's a frustrated Pelagian personality. That is, he believes in the essential goodness of man but takes a heavy-hansed approach to governance because people fail to live up to his unrealistic expectations. Goodchild does a lot of admirable things. Aeon is in many ways more of a villian than he is, and you see that even in the unvoiced season. Aeon's main motivation in the voiced season is often sexual jealousy directed at Goodchild. It's heavily implied that they were once lovers, Aeon's secret agent job is either the cause of their falling out or a consequence of it.
The Herodotus File is about their first interaction. She was hired by him to do some assassinations to cover up some inconvenient history, which she does in a corrupt-a-wish way. Yes, they fuck. :bounce:
KnightoftheWind

Roguey wrote: July 16th, 2023, 00:47
The shorts, the series, and The Herodotus File are all great.

Very personal series for Peter Chung since Bregna and Monica were obviously inspired by North and South Korea. And of course the fetishes. Love how the extreme freedom-at-any-cost Monican philosophy sometimes makes Aeon someone I don't want to see succeed. Everyone's morally compromised, and sometimes Trevor makes a good point. The War episode from the shorts is a fantastic story about challenging your sympathies, and it runs circles around the pathetic attempt Neil Druckmann made decades later.
This guy got filtered.
The equivalent of duct-taping a banana to a museum wall and calling it high art. If a piece of entertainment is heinously ugly, I don't find any desire to "dig deep" into any of it's themes. It's not something that enriches my understanding of anything. It's just an exercise in patience, and anyone who unironically likes shows like Aeon Flux is a spiritual redditor and a bit of a jew.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

KnightoftheWind wrote: July 16th, 2023, 03:23
The equivalent of duct-taping a banana to a museum wall and calling it high art. If a piece of entertainment is heinously ugly, I don't find any desire to "dig deep" into any of it's themes. It's not something that enriches my understanding of anything. It's just an exercise in patience, and anyone who unironically likes shows like Aeon Flux is a spiritual redditor and a bit of a jew.
your neurotic seething is pretty jewy tbh
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

It was fine since the clips ran during commercials. Then again you had to actually exist in the 90's to appreciate it.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Not what I said. Why is liking a thing that doesn't explain itself to you wrong? Art doesn't need to tell stories or have any rhyme or reason. Not everything needs be condensed into a systematic theology or worldview. That's my point.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

maidenhaver wrote: July 16th, 2023, 08:56
Why is liking a thing that doesn't explain itself to you wrong? Art doesn't need to tell stories or have any rhyme or reason.
These points are entirely unrelated. Meaning that isn't immediately obvious is fine; meaninglessness renders the whole affair pointless.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Art doesn't need to tell stories or have any rhyme or reason.
This is literally postmodernism.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Acrux wrote: July 16th, 2023, 09:02

Yes.
WhiteShark wrote: July 16th, 2023, 09:01
Why is liking a thing that doesn't explain itself to you wrong? Art doesn't need to tell stories or have any rhyme or reason.
These points are entirely unrelated. Meaning that isn't immediately obvious is fine; meaninglessness renders the whole affair pointless.
Not at all. Knight of Wendy's dislikes a thing because the thing is postmodern, which in his worldview is simply evil. Calling something postmodern isn't a valid criticism. Not everything needs a canonical meaning to have value to somebody.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

KnightoftheWind wrote: July 16th, 2023, 03:23
The art style is inspired by Egon Schiele who was an Austrian and a pervert, but not a Jew.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

maidenhaver wrote: July 16th, 2023, 10:04
Acrux wrote: July 16th, 2023, 09:02
maidenhaver wrote: July 16th, 2023, 10:04

Yes.
Ha, sorry. I thought it was you suggesting earlier that Aeon Flux isn't postmodern. (It was @Emphyrio.)
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

so does this have a non-shit quality version so I can watch it and judge?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Æon_Flux
Æon Flux /ˌiːɒn ˈflʌks/
:groan:
æ does not make an 'ee' sound, I already feel like I'm being punished