We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

October: Shard of Spring

Participate in a new RPG each month with other members of the HQ
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

rusty_shackleford wrote: July 10th, 2023, 08:41
Watser wrote: July 10th, 2023, 08:30
Solid initiative, I'll try to join in later this year if time allows it.
Depending on the size of the game, a one-month window might be stretching it. Sticking to an estimated completion time of ~20 hours to accomodate everyone (depending on who is joining) might be preferable. Alternatively, we can also do special longer sessions for suggestions such as M&M 1 and games of similar scope.
I have no idea what an ideal length of time might be, I just picked one month because it seemed like a decent amount of time.
Anyone have any feedback on hours of play to length of real life time?
1 month sounds good.
It really comes down to how much free time individual people have per day / week to play. Most games take about 20 - 60 hours to complete.

I guess if it becomes a problem maybe alternate between short games and long games but that could require too much "planning ahead" which would make the whole "what's next" less spontaneous and organic.

Either way this is a great idea especially if the games played are hidden gems or less well known or fairly old games. (pre-2000's)

EDIT:
You may wanna have a thread dedicated specifically to "Played X game - Here's my feedback" with a sort of template and keep that thread pristine of discussion / side-chatter.. so in one year people can go to a central thread and just read different peoples experiences like a catalogue. (Maybe even sticky it)

THen keep all the discussion about the event and what game to play next etc to this thread.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

Shillitron wrote: October 1st, 2023, 17:27
EDIT:
You may wanna have a thread dedicated specifically to "Played X game - Here's my feedback" with a sort of template and keep that thread pristine of discussion / side-chatter.. so in one year people can go to a central thread and just read different peoples experiences like a catalogue. (Maybe even sticky it)

THen keep all the discussion about the event and what game to play next etc to this thread.

Or create an entire subforum then kick off a [<Insert Game Name> - <Insert Date>] thread for each one and let every poster who played the game contribute a post of their experience. :Inspector:
Last edited by Shillitron on October 1st, 2023, 17:33, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

My feedback on this game so far is that we should probably pick games that are a little further ahead in the CRPG timeline to avoid alienating 99% of the forum.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

rusty_shackleford wrote: October 1st, 2023, 17:32
My feedback on this game so far is that we should probably pick games that are a little further ahead in the CRPG timeline to avoid alienating 99% of the forum.
I really don't care about people's opinions on Dragon Age 2 or Oblivion though..

Can we pick a timeline between <I need DOSBOX to run this> and.. <Press Button and Awesome Happens> ?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Shillitron wrote: October 1st, 2023, 17:34
I really don't care about people's opinions on Dragon Age 2 or Oblivion though..

Can we pick a timeline between <I need DOSBOX to run this> and.. <Press Button and Awesome Happens> ?
Probably 1988-2002, altho I'd like to hear feedback from others.
Watser
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Watser »

This is difficult to quantify as it varies a lot from game to game.
Take Wizardry 1 for instance; simple controls, easy to get into, short in scope and fun to boot but was released in 1981.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Watser wrote: October 1st, 2023, 17:59
Take Wizardry 1 for instance; simple controls, easy to get into, short in scope and fun to boot but was released in 1981.
Is there an automapper for wiz 1?
Watser
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Watser »

maidenhaver wrote: October 1st, 2023, 18:01
Automapping defeats the entire purpose of playing a grid-based blobber where the dungeon is your primary enemy. You have a spell to pinpoint your location, use it.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

rusty_shackleford wrote: October 1st, 2023, 17:50
Shillitron wrote: October 1st, 2023, 17:34

Rubbish, if people can't handle old graphics or setting up an emulator that takes more than double clicking and icon they shouldn't be here and nobody is twisting their arms anyway. Besides, Demon's Winter is from 1988 so they're not that far apart.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Watser wrote: October 1st, 2023, 18:03

Automapping defeats the entire purpose of playing a grid-based blobber where the dungeon is your primary enemy. You have a spell to pinpoint your location, use it.
Not interested in playing a windows 95 screensaver.
Watser
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Watser »

maidenhaver wrote: October 1st, 2023, 18:06
Watser wrote: October 1st, 2023, 18:03

Not interested in playing a windows 95 screensaver.
Get out of here stalker scrub
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Imagine needing to make maps for Wiz 1.
Watser
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Watser »

It's an important aspect of the experience. Need? No, but it makes the game much more fulfilling when playing it the first time.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

https://gridcartographer.com/compare/#crpg
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Watser wrote: October 1st, 2023, 18:13
It's an important aspect of the experience. Need? No, but it makes the game much more fulfilling when playing it the first time.
"N-noooo! You can't just use grid cartographer! You need to use graphpaper! Its part of the eXpErIeNcE!"

You're a fucking poser. It isn't 1981. I'll use a goddam automapper anywhere I want.
Watser
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Watser »

I drew my map of wizardry 1 in grid cartographer idiot.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Watser wrote: October 1st, 2023, 18:25
I've never used it. I asked a simple question. Next time, just keep your dick in your mouth instead of speaking. Now go back to the chatbox.
Watser
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Watser »

maidenhaver wrote: October 1st, 2023, 18:30
Watser wrote: October 1st, 2023, 18:25
I've never used it. I asked a simple question. Next time, just keep your dick in your mouth instead of speaking. Now go back to the chatbox.
And I gave you the advice to just make your own map because using an automapper is not an enjoyable experience.
The dungeon is your enemy, getting lost is part of the experience.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

I hate making maps, I memorize the layout using my superior intellect.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Everything in combat costs move points btw, not just moving. They're probably the most important stat.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

rusty_shackleford wrote: October 1st, 2023, 17:50
Why!? My feedback is fucking good enough??! Huh!? HUH!?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Probably going to need a new party, need to think on optimal character builds and figure out what the stats do.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

I read the dos version is inferior, but so far, I disagree.
Watser
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Watser »

I went with 2 fighters and 3 mages due to the variety in runes. Though many of the spells are seemingly identical but differs, supposedly, only in their base effectiveness.
So far, deploying the 'save often' strategy has come in handy. Random encounters varies from a couple of skeletons to ~8 giant spiders or similar which will fuck you over.

Also, the C64 black knight hack has you start with 3k gold which surely can't be intended.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Watser wrote: October 2nd, 2023, 06:12
Also, the C64 black knight hack has you start with 3k gold which surely can't be intended.
Don't think this happened to me.
Either way, would recommend the DOS version. Maybe I just don't know enough about VICE, but the loading times were painful even with true emulation(or w/e) it is disabled + warp, on the dos version they're instant.
Watser
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Watser »

I set it to 300%, beyond that it started becoming janky with inputs registering twice occassionally. Will continue with the C64 version and refrain from going below 3.2k gold or however much I got from the start.
agentorange

Post by agentorange »

game look mid af
play something more hype
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

agentorange wrote: October 2nd, 2023, 08:13
game look mid af
play something more hype
half the point of picking it was I never even heard of it before and there's almost zero coverage of it in terms of guides
Watser
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Watser »

For reference this is the party I went with:

Human fighter - Swords, Tactics, Armored Skin, Hunting
Dwarf fighter - Axe, Dark Vision, Armored Skin, Berserking, Hunting
Gnome wizard - Ice Runes, Spirit Runes, Weapon Lore, Potion Lore, Item Lore, Monster Lore, Priesthood
Human Wizard - Fire Runes, Metal Runes, Weapon Lore
Human Wizard - Fire Runes, Wind Runes, Item Lore

The early game is predictably a little rough with only two fighters, but I hope having access to 3x mass damage spells in the endgame will pay off.
Armored Skin is currently carrying my fighters. Trolls start with it as a bonus skill but their racial -3 to speed is a heavy penalty as it's probably your most treasured stat.