We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Fractured Online

For RPGs that require a persistently online connection.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Fractured Online

Post by rusty_shackleford »

'ey use my referral
https://fracturedmmo.com/?refcode=03ff40e14c17

Do I recommend it?
No, because I haven't gotten to play it yet.

So, why is this game interesting and why am I shilling it? The devs bought it back from their publisher Gamigo(disgusting company) because they were going to run it into the ground, and went private for a while. That I can respect: Buying it back from Gamigo means they probably actually care about it.
Recently they reopened the servers for testing.

What's the gameplay like? No fucking idea.
I found some old dude who made a video of him making a house in-game :lol:
Ranselknulf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ranselknulf »

MMO's are almost always misses these days. I'll see if they let me try the beta test for free and give feedback if so.

I don't buy mmo's these days without them being fully released and a trial run.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

https://fracturedmmo.com/server-war-event-test-review/
SERVER WAR EVENT & TEST REVIEW
July 11th, 2023 at 3:20 pm
Get straight to the end-game in the first Server War event. 12 days of PvE and PvP madness are coming, starting on July 19!

Hi, fellow gamer and MMO enthusiast!

Today we have double news for you: a review of our previous “relaunch pretest“, and the announcement of the next one!

Read on to find out more!

FIRST SERVER WAR
Give a warm welcome to a unique event, the very first of its kind!

The Server War is a time-limited testing phase in which new characters are thrown directly into the end-game, with free progression and items. Its purpose is to get feedback on the balancing of end-game combat before the full game relaunch, with a special focus on PvP, including city warfare.

The event is starting on Wednesday, July 19, at 2pm UTC! It will end on Sunday night, July 30, which means it will run for 12 full days! Access it granted to all owners of an Adept founder pack or higher, which can be purchased in the store.

Given the type of event, it is needless to say that world and characters alike are going to be wiped after it is over.

SPECIAL RULES
Here’s the list of special rules that apply for this unique event:

There’s only one continent available – Aerhen. Even Wildfolk characters go there after the Tutorial Island.
Wildfolk’s primal energy regenerates by itself and they can become evil.
All characters start at rank 50 (the highest possible, giving 60/60 talent points) with all spell schools at level 10/10 and all spells unlocked.
Character attribute respecs are unlimited.
The cost to claim a land parcel outside of a city is 1,000 gold instead of 4,000.
The cost to claim a city is 10,000 gold instead of 100,000 and requires 10 settlers instead of 20.
Launching a raid or a conquest against another city is free and has a 1-day preparation time.
An admin command is given to all characters to add pieces of equipment and consumables to their inventory.
CHANGES
The event will also give participants the chance to preview some new features, including:

The first iteration of Alchemy. Get ready to play around with the Alchemical Distillery and the Aspect Extractor!
4 new Acid spells to make the Vitriomancer a thing!
Can’t get Proficiency Orbs yet? Imbue your equipment to raise your school levels!
…plus lots of bug fixes, of course!

CONTESTS
Several contests will be run during the event by our GMs, including 1v1 and group vs group PvP tournaments!

Moreover, there are going to be unique rewards for:

Players with highest PvP ELO
Players with highest Legend Score
Guilds with highest Season Score
…at the end of the test, of course! More details to come!

RELAUNCH PRETEST REVIEW
Here comes a quick review of our last test. As the game had been offline for a while and underwent a radical changes to its backend, technical issues were expected, and indeed we got some.

Let’s review the whole thing in brief!

ISSUES
Right at launch, players faced login issues. We figured out those were related to CPU architecture (strange but true) and migrated our dedicated servers to different models the day after, which fixed the problem.

After that, we moved on with further optimizations related to monsters in preparation for the Free Play event. Servers behaved very well there, but sadly we didn’t reach the critical mass we hoped for, so more testing of this kind will be needed.

FEEDBACK
The feedback we received on new mechanics, such as the overhaul to the progression system and crafting, was largely positive. Details on these new features and changes had been laid out in brief in this post. Testers have also pointed out better latency stats outside of the US and that the game overall feels “smoother” than before and more polished thanks to new animations, tooltips, vfx, etc.

Some pain points of course are still around, such as the use of recipes in crafting and the overall lack of end-game PvE and PvP events. Big news are coming in this regard however, so stay tuned!
Ranselknulf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ranselknulf »

They want you to pay to beta test the game for them.

Modern gamers are kinda stupid if they fall for that shit.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

This is out on Steam in early access. Has a low mixed rating, but recent reviews are very positive. Anyone played it?
revenant

Post by revenant »

rusty_shackleford wrote: December 11th, 2023, 17:15
This is out on Steam in early access. Has a low mixed rating, but recent reviews are very positive. Anyone played it?
Haven't played it, but game mode being tied to player race seems an interesting idea - supposedly, humans play on the PvE server, beastmen - a mixture of PvE and PvP and demons - on hardcore PvP. There was mingling of different races and gameplay types announced, I think? Visually the game looks a lot like Albion Online.
Ranselknulf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ranselknulf »

Tis the season for new games.

I'm considering trying this game out in the next couple weeks, maybe a game sesh or two. Has anyone else attempted the game yet or has any feedback.

The steam reviews make the game sound like an homage to Ultima Online and others saying its a grindy crafting game with lots of harvesting resources and transporting materials (sounds New Worldish).

I do enjoy games that don't have a million read me's and how to guides. It makes testing things out and discovering interesting, so that's not necessarily a bad thing for me.
Last edited by Ranselknulf on December 11th, 2023, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.
Ranselknulf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ranselknulf »

Doing a little research right now before I decide how much to spend on the game.

It doesn't appear to be a monthly subscription, but you can buy VIP time for faster "training" or something?

It sounds similar to the Project Gorgon pay model, but I'm not really sure. Lifetime VIP time is about $300 kwa bucks, which isn't unreasonable, but I don't want to spend that kind of money on a dead / dying game.

Box price is about $25, which is fine for a game even if I only end up playing it for a couple hours.

Current steam charts, and I know that a lot of people probably don't play through steam, but maybe I'm wrong?

For context, here is the steam charts for this travesty of a game. Makes me lean toward just buying the boxed copy version of the game and figuring out the VIP stuff later.

Ranselknulf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ranselknulf »

Didn't see a spot to put ur referral code.

Installing now, I'll let you know what I think before end of day.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Appears there's one guy streaming it on twitch with 12 whole viewers

this genre is so dead
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on December 15th, 2023, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.
Ranselknulf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ranselknulf »

I've wasted money on worse things. Yes, i'm talking about women.
Ranselknulf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ranselknulf »

I'm going to approach this game in a casual manner as a small coop dungeon crawl.

If it does miraculously improve over time, at least I got some early farming in before the gankers decided to join the game.

According to people on the forum, supposedly some new content release is coming in 2 months, so who knows.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

@Ranselknulf have you played Project: Gorgon?
Small community but very fun. I got something like 800 hours out of it.
Ranselknulf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ranselknulf »

rusty_shackleford wrote: December 15th, 2023, 23:55
@Ranselknulf have you played Project: Gorgon?
Small community but very fun. I got something like 800 hours out of it.
Light weight, I have over 1,000 hours in the game. It's been over a year and a half since I played it though. I was just about done maxing out the decrafting item skill, forget whats its called, think it was "transmutation" or something, had like a few more of the highest tier stuff to get, it had just come out when I quit. Whatever the level 80 to 85 or 90 zones were.

Not sure I want to return at the moment, plus asf wanted to try this game.

I think I posted before about the reasons I left the game, maybe it was in the rpghq chat irc, but I can post again when I get around to it. Playing this game at the moment.
Last edited by Ranselknulf on December 16th, 2023, 00:44, edited 2 times in total.
Ranselknulf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ranselknulf »

Ok, I think I got the basic gameplay loop for new gamers down.

Reminds me of Path of Exile so far. Not sure where the Ultima Online description comes from so far other than maybe graphics and no hand holding?

Maybe if I get farther it will become apparently, i'm literally just out of the tutorial and figuring out what the strategy for the game, and surviving pvp, is.

Will dig into it more tomorrow.

ps.. catching a horse isn't that difficult at all. Craft some rope and snare a bitch.
Last edited by Ranselknulf on December 16th, 2023, 02:40, edited 1 time in total.
Decline

Post by Decline »

Deck Verified Status
Playable
Hide Details
Some functionality is not accessible when using the default controller configuration, requiring use of the touchscreen or virtual keyboard, or a community configuration
This game sometimes shows mouse, keyboard, or non-Steam-Deck controller icons
Entering some text requires manually invoking the on-screen keyboard
Some in-game text is small and may be difficult to read
This game's default graphics configuration performs well on Steam Deck
This game's first-time setup requires an active Internet connection
Singleplayer gameplay requires an active Internet connection
Prometheus DymStudios - CEO Jul 1, 2017, 4:55 AM

@scellow as pointed out above, the games you mentioned, including ROTMG, have 8-direction movement. That's really the only type of movement possible with WASD in a top-down game, but for us, it would be way too limiting. Even if we implemented WASD to please a few players, we would just put those players at a disadvantage compared to those using click-to-move.

That being said, I think that you lack of appreciation for click-to-move might be due to the fact you associate it with pathfinding, auto-follow and auto-attack. This will not be the case for Fractured: pathfinding exists, but it's limited (on purpose), most of the time you will hold down the mouse button to move because you'll be busy dodging and positioning. Auto-attacking and auto-follow don't exist at all.

Rest assure, combat will be both tactical and hectic, you will love it "even" with click-to-move! 🙂
https://forum.fracturedmmo.com/topic/41 ... a-mouse/15

it's dead jim
Last edited by Decline on December 16th, 2023, 03:19, edited 2 times in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Click-to-move is trash because you have your attack and movement bound to the same form of input. You fundamentally cannot move and attack in two separate directions, you are at a disadvantage vs WASD, not an advantage.
Ranselknulf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ranselknulf »

Sad to say, it took me about 45 minutes to figure out there is an auto run hot key.

The default autorun key is numlock.

Autorun vastly improves the gameplay.
Ranselknulf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ranselknulf »

Game Update:

Here's what I've learned so far from playing the game.

The weapon skill progression system is based on a bestiary. Ie.. if you kill 20 Bears, you might learn an ability called bear strike. If you kill 20 wizards, you might learn fireball or such.

The crafting system is also similar. If you craft 20 cloth armors, then you can make cloth armor +1. If you make 20 cloth armors +1, then you can make cloth armor +2, etc. Armor does break, and I'm not sure what the mechanics are for it because I haven't had any break yet, but I've seen others have armor break.

Supposedly this is pvp lite. Ie.. the victor can't loot the corpse of the loser. I haven't tried pvp yet so I can't verify, but thats what people seem to be saying.

It will take about 3 hours of carting stone and wood back and forth to build the smallest house and a few crafting benches. Making a cart or two is definitely a first priority if you decide to build a house. When you chop down a tree you get logs, and you can only carry one log at a time, but a cart can carry 12. Carts will decay if you don't park them in your land plot when finished with them. Stone is a similar situation, but you only get one stone block from each node. You need a lot of stone and wood, so you will be carting it back and forth, which means, put your plot in a strategic location where you can get access to all types of materials. Copper, Iron, Stone, Wood, and most importantly Gold. It takes 2000 gold a week for upkeep of a land plot. A well geared person can make 2000 gold in about 20 minutes from what I've heard. It might take me an hour to make 2000 gold right now for context.

When you die, you will respawn in the same location if you wait for 30 seconds, or if the location is not safe enough, you can suicide back to a starting point. I haven't tried the suicide option yet, but I should try it out soon I suppose.

The talent skill system is like PoE. Ie, a branching circular tree where you unlock abilities in a sequence to unlock the next.

There is no private messaging / DM system in the game and you have no ability to turn off global chat (which can be annoying at times).

I think that's the basics for now. Still haven't made up my mind whether to recommend it yet or not, but I'll hit some more difficult POI's and dungeons in the next month's time frame to give you my final recommendation.
Last edited by Ranselknulf on December 23rd, 2023, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

What is the end game? What are the "chase" goals for hardcore players?
Ranselknulf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ranselknulf »

Sorry for my absence the past few weeks, its been a busy time of year, but yes, I have played the game a bit.

The game has good things and bad things, but its enjoyable so far.

The good: Lots of locations and POI's, I haven't yet visited a spot where it felt like there was nothing useful I could do to progress or advance my character. Some mmo's have zones that seem worthless to you, but there is always a need for the materials and stuff you find while out and about.

The bad: inventory management is very early access and lacks things like "auto sort" for example. The storage space does not seem large enough for the shear amount of materials you find and all of these materials are needed for making reagents to imbue equipment. You get a bank vault in the starter areas (not that big either), but I don't really visit there often as I got a plot far away. You make your own plots that are safe from pvp, but there is limited build space so putting down a bunch of storage chests really limits what you are capable of building. Moving into a pvp city isn't much better. pvp cities you get a 5x5 plot, and plots safe from pvp are 4x4. I have six chest on the ground right now (6 grids) and they are all full and my bank is fairly full also. The games pathing can be a bit wonky at times.

The neutral: These observations could be good or bad depending on what type of game you are looking for. Trees and mining resources take 1 hour to respawn, so if others are mining in the area be prepared to fight for shit or find stuff that is less desirable to better geared players. There are some long crafting times for certain items, like building a bonfire to make charcoal it will take 8 hours real life time to "burn down" so you can get coal for your blacksmithing needs. Which is fine, but just keep in mind the space requirements of your base and plan accordingly. Also, tanning hides can take 2.5 hours, crafting wood boards from logs can take 2.5 hours, smelting ingots can take 2.5 hours. Basically, be prepared to wait if you want to craft stuff, but you don't have to craft if you don't want to either. It's completely viable to just kill monsters for gold and buy gear, and is probably a faster route starting off anyways.

Enemies seem to respawn rather quickly, which can be good or bad depending on your play style, but as long as you keep moving you should be fine, but if you run into a tough monster you can't beat, be prepared to refight everything you just fought when it respawns.

I haven't really made up my mind yet fully, but I'm currently enjoying it enough to keep playing. It's definitely not a game for everyone and it is a massive time sink.
Ranselknulf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ranselknulf »

Boontaker wrote: January 4th, 2024, 07:02
What is the end game? What are the "chase" goals for hardcore players?
I'm not close to the end game, and I could be completely off on this, but from what I've read and inferred is the end game goal is to build pvp cities where you are the governor or part of the guild of players who own the city and then build up and make defenses. Armor and materials are always needed as there is no ability to repair armor or weapons and they will break quite often if you end up dying a lot. People will attack you if you take the fastest travel paths unless you have protection from others ofc.

I'm imagining the end game loop is something along the lines of :

1. Gather gold - It takes a certain amount to initiate a raid of a city.
2. Get good armor and weapons - requires gathering materials, making reagents to imbue with appropriate properties
3. Assault city or attack their resource gathering wagons and such.
4. Get spoils - which may or may not be good (haven't raided a city yet)
5. Repair armor and weapons.

There does seem to be world bosses of some sort also, but I'm fairly sure those drop materials for making the best weapons and armor.
Last edited by Ranselknulf on January 6th, 2024, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

why did they change the title art from a white guy to a negress lmao
Ranselknulf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ranselknulf »

I'd call it a pvp mmo. There are safe areas, but if you get caught out in the wild, you can be attacked.

The player population doesn't seem that high, but I have noticed a few more people online in recent times.

Ie.. I use to go mine coal and copper unmolested, but now I have people hitting my regular mining areas.

As decline is saying, the game could very well be dead, but I don't know enough about the development team and its efforts. I'm not joining discord just to find out.

I always approach any game with the mentality that its current state is all it will ever be, and then I don't get annoyed by the lack of development. If the game isn't good enough to play in its current form, then its not worth playing, if it is good enough and some how it does get better, then well play on.
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

you can kill people, though they cheat
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

new patch this week, game is even more broken, come join our growing guild
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin