We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Super Mario RPG Remake in November

And related anime RPGs go here.
UwU
General Reign

Super Mario RPG Remake in November

Post by General Reign »

Mario RPG Is getting a remake. It doesn't look like I would like it to, but I do appreciate it. Maybe one day we will get a sequel. Fuck Paper Mario and the Superstar Saga.

KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

Damn, I didn't think it would actually happen one day. People have been asking for a remake of this since the DS era. Will give it a try for sure!
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

I remember buying this game at Walmart when it came out. It was just a few days before I graduated from high school.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

I remember trying to play it with my mom like we did Mario 3 then she got up and said she liked the old Mario better and left. Haha.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

I never bothered with the original, but I'll probably give the remake a shot during a dry spell
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

GhostCow wrote: June 21st, 2023, 21:53
I never bothered with the original, but I'll probably give the remake a shot during a dry spell
Somehow(?) very underrated, I enjoyed it much more than a lot of other jrpgs that get heaped with praise.
Suissant

Post by Suissant »

rusty_shackleford wrote: June 22nd, 2023, 02:45
GhostCow wrote: June 21st, 2023, 21:53
Somehow(?) very underrated, I enjoyed it much more than a lot of other jrpgs that get heaped with praise.
I'm the exact opposite. I never understood the praise of this childish and boring game (Mario RPG) when I played it (rented) in my childhood, but I did somewhat find the opera scene from FF3 "cool", even though I disliked the game overall when I played it emulated in my twenties.
KnightoftheWind

Mario RPG is great because it has a charming aesthetic, great music, and doesn't have any of the typical JRPG bloat and heretical themes of "fighting God" or some shit. You don't have to grind incessantly, there aren't many cutscenes, and what is there has a good sense of humor and is more animated than the more static scenes of a Final Fantasy or the like. It's inherently more appealing to more people, and can be completed in a fraction of the time compared to most RPGs too.

It's successor Paper Mario is just as good, and it's sequel The Thousand Year Door was good too but had a tranny character and some areas were poorly designed. Mario & Luigi was too gimmicky for my taste, and every Mario-themed RPG released after 2004 just plain sucked. I hope this remake means Nintendo is going back-to-basics.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

Basically it is what a Mario RPG should be - something anybody can play.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

Will one be able to romance the women?
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

She has a vibrator in her room for sure. I think she wants the dick.
KnightoftheWind

General Reign wrote: June 22nd, 2023, 04:27
She has a vibrator in her room for sure. I think she wants the dick.
Sexual comments/"jokes" regarding a family friendly series?, where have I seen this before...

General Reign

Post by General Reign »

It's possible it was a translation thing but it was left vague for a reason.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Get ready for 100,000 more pieces of art inspired by Bowser kissing Mario.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

To balance that out there should be a lot of Bowser raping Daisy and Peach.
Humbaba

Post by Humbaba »

How do I build Mario for maximum dps? What classes do I dip in?
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Humbaba wrote: June 22nd, 2023, 12:43
How do I build Mario for maximum dps? What classes do I dip in?
You just reminded me why I never played the original. Nothing there for buildfags.
agentorange

Post by agentorange »

remake has a shit, banal style to it, or lack of style. original had a charming, unique look, it was like they tried to capture the look of those early 3d renders that you would see on box covers and magazine ads which the actual games never looked like, or like it was taking place in a miniature toy land.
KnightoftheWind

agentorange wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 03:22
remake has a shit, banal style to it, or lack of style. original had a charming, unique look, it was like they tried to capture the look of those early 3d renders that you would see on box covers and magazine ads which the actual games never looked like, or like it was taking place in a miniature toy land.
Short of recreating the old 3D renders 1:1, I don't see how they could've done it any better than this.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

KnightoftheWind wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 03:48
Short of recreating the old 3D renders 1:1, I don't see how they could've done it any better than this.
They should've recreated the 3D renders, the real time 3D power of the Switch is not enough to capture the ambient lighting properly.
If Obsidian can afford to make one of the best looking games ever made thanks to using pre-rendered backgrounds, surely Nintendo can do the same.

Deadfire even has a Switch port, probably looks the same as the PC version except maybe some of the real time lighting features. Too bad the guys who did the artwork for that game died in a tragic accident.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

General Reign wrote: June 21st, 2023, 20:52
Mario RPG Is getting a remake. It doesn't look like I would like it to, but I do appreciate it. Maybe one day we will get a sequel. Fuck Paper Mario and the Superstar Saga.

Looks way better than most would've expected.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

Hoping this turns out decent. I have younger family members who like RPGs but there aren't enough newer, higher-budget RPGs without "adult" themes like sex or identity politics.
KnightoftheWind

rusty_shackleford wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 06:41
KnightoftheWind wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 03:48
They should've recreated the 3D renders, the real time 3D power of the Switch is not enough to capture the ambient lighting properly.
If Obsidian can afford to make one of the best looking games ever made thanks to using pre-rendered backgrounds, surely Nintendo can do the same.

Deadfire even has a Switch port, probably looks the same as the PC version except maybe some of the real time lighting features. Too bad the guys who did the artwork for that game died in a tragic accident.
Well seeing as it's Square Enix, don't be too surprised they didn't go that route. They aren't exactly the creative bunch these days. I also figure Nintendo's IP team would veto such an idea even if they wanted to. After New Super Mario Bros, they really wanted to hold a firm grip on the way Mario and other characters are presented in games. It's the reason Paper Mario became a below-average series of action-adventure RPG-lites.
Rigwort

Post by Rigwort »

It's a perfectly enjoyable Babbies' first RPG, I played this when I wass a kid. I like the goofy little models, feels like they are actually trying to capture the style, and it's good kids will be able to play this. Though I am tired of all the soyfacing over Nintendo games.
Derringer

Post by Derringer »

aweigh wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 06:50
General Reign wrote: June 21st, 2023, 20:52

Looks way better than most would've expected.
It looks alright, Nintendo's probably gotten more comfortable developing assets for UE4 since their Yoshi switch title.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

New video that talks about some new features:
  • Party wide attacks after performing a number of successful timed attacks
  • Post-game boss fights
  • It looked like there were some new enemies shown in the video, too.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

J1M wrote: September 14th, 2023, 21:25
Zero challenge = zero interest.
"Postgame bosses" sounds like it could be challenging.
KnightoftheWind

J1M wrote: September 14th, 2023, 21:25
Zero challenge = zero interest.
Games can be easy and enjoyable, Mario RPG is one of those games that have stood the test of time because it's so unobtrusive and undemanding. It's one of the few JRPGs I enjoyed because it isn't some 100 hour "epic" with a pretentious storyline about how the Church/God is evil or some teenage angst saga. There's a lot of charm and humor that so few games in the genre have.