We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Disgaea 7

And related anime RPGs go here.
UwU
GhostCow

Disgaea 7

Post by GhostCow »

Looks like shit tbh. I really didn't like Disgaea 6 much and expect this one to be worse, but I'll give it a shot anyway. I find it funny that it's releasing on the same day as The Lamplighters League and will probably sell more copies.

General Reign

Post by General Reign »

I have never managed to play one of these even though I own one of them on PS3. They just look a little too weebz for my tastes and I gather the story is retarded.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Disgaea 2 and 5 are both pretty good. If the one you have is one of those you should play it.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

I think I have 4. I lose the JRPG lotto.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

3 and 4 are pretty bad. I never got more than a few minutes into either.
poseidon00

Post by poseidon00 »

I mostly enjoy Disgaea's half serious-half parody style. I actually laughed out loud at some of the more silly parts of Disgaea 6. This looks horrible though, there is no need for the 3D and we saw like 2 seconds of gameplay.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Gameplay seems to be getting worse. I hated the super inflated numbers in 6 and I have no idea what they are thinking with the giant transformation in 7.
Derringer

Post by Derringer »

The only one I more or less completed was 1, everything past it just didn't look appealing at all to me. I tried out Disgaea 5 since it had HD sprites but I just got bored of it after a few minutes and never bothered trying to emulate D2. My favorite Nippon Ichi game was Makai Kingdom, ZHP was alright. The most appealing thing about Nippon Ichi's games were the sprites along with whatever systems they tried doing differently and the trailer I saw for 6 just looked awful even if people say that the game was playable.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

D2 is probably my favorite story of the series. I thought 5 had the best gameplay and a pretty decent story too.
Derringer

Post by Derringer »

I'll have to retry D5 and emulate D2 then, I just didn't feel like going through D5 at the time to see if it was worth bothering with.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Disgaea 2 is pretty cheap on Steam. It's on sale for $4 right now.

Derringer

Post by Derringer »

I don't think you can buy D2 off of Steam unless RPCS3 is on there.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

The Disgaea series has been on Steam for years bro. All of them are on PC now.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

Yes, but they are shit ports.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

General Reign wrote: July 11th, 2023, 00:23
Yes, but they are shit ports.
In what way? I played 1, 2, and 5 on PC with no issues.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

From the reviews on at least two or three of the early ports they had a few issues to where it would be better to emulate it. I noticed this when I was checking out sales last year. Some of the newer ports are supposed to be better. Don't take my word (or shit memory) for it buyers just look it up is all I am saying.
Derringer

Post by Derringer »

They polished the ports well enough that they're playable if you bother trying out the warez copies of them but the only thing really different is mouse support with a higher res font that doesn't match the games at all.
likerasapdisgaea

Post by likerasapdisgaea »

GhostCow wrote: July 7th, 2023, 21:35
Gameplay seems to be getting worse. I hated the super inflated numbers in 6 and I have no idea what they are thinking with the giant transformation in 7.
I mean they have done the giant gimmick a couple different ways before. Monster Fusion comes to mind. It looks like with 7 they are going back to form more. As a huge fan of the series since its conception I am looking forward to it.

(Also 6 was absolute garbitch)
likerasapdisgaea

Post by likerasapdisgaea »

GhostCow wrote: July 8th, 2023, 11:51
D2 is probably my favorite story of the series. I thought 5 had the best gameplay and a pretty decent story too.
Disgaea 2 is my favorite as well. TBH I thought you Meant Dimension 2 lol. That has never had a re-release despite being one of the better games in the series as a direct sequel to disgaea 1
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

This is out now, and apparently is better than previous games.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

It better be because d6 was fucking horrible. It will probably be a while before I get to this. I'm on a manga binge and need to finish my second playthrough of Sonic Frontiers with the new dlc
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

I've played a couple of hours of this and so far it seems pretty good. At least you don't gain 5 levels as soon as you attack your first enemy like in 6. I've seen players with over a billion hitpoints in video reviews though, so the numbers still get retarded at the end. I know that's a stable of the series, but not one I'm fond of. I usually just play through the story mode in this series and don't touch any of the post game or extra content because it's so grindy.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

I've put about 20 hours into this now and I can say it's as good as the best Disgaea games, which would make it a fairly above average game overall on my scale. It still has all of the same things I complain about it every Disgaea game, such as how grindy it is and how the numbers get so big as to be basically meaningless in the end, but I guess that's just the identity of the series. It certainly beats the shit out of Disgaea 6, but that's an extremely low bar. Also the MC is an otaku gyaru fox girl who is obsessed with this game's version of Japan, so she's pretty much the best MC in the series by a long shot. Also one of the few girls in the series who isn't totally flat as a board or a giant tit monster.

Last edited by GhostCow on October 19th, 2023, 02:38, edited 2 times in total.