We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Do you Roguelike?

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
SoLong

Post by SoLong »

I personally prefer roguelite.

Roguelike (in its non-watered-down meaning at least) has basically no progression for the player... which yes, means it involves a lot of skill. Unfortunately it also involves randomness. I personally found it unrewarding because I was never quite sure if I won because I got better or because the Random Number God gave me the right combination of relics/cards/gem/whatever to make the run work.

I also like to feel like I'm actually progressing somewhere, even if it's just a number getting bigger.
just

Post by just »

are there any roguelites for a crpgfag
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Dead wrote: November 7th, 2023, 14:41
Gozag is turning all the corpses into gold
Oh shoot, yeah, I guess if you aren't playing on a mainline version from the last few years you may actually need corpses for necromancy... I forgot about that... They drastically changed how necromancy works in mainline but I didn't think about how it is in bcrawl. Hope my advice didn't ruin your run.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

SoLong wrote: November 7th, 2023, 14:45
I personally found it unrewarding because I was never quite sure if I won because I got better or because the Random Number God gave me the right combination of relics/cards/gem/whatever to make the run work.
At least in DCSS you are highly unlikely to win through luck alone. You could be decked out in a full set of powerful random artefacts and still bite the dust if you misplay because the game is a constant test of tactics and strategy. Yeah, having to start from scratch sucks, but that's what makes the victories count.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

WhiteShark wrote: November 7th, 2023, 19:39
Dead wrote: November 7th, 2023, 14:41
Gozag is turning all the corpses into gold
Oh shoot, yeah, I guess if you aren't playing on a mainline version from the last few years you may actually need corpses for necromancy... I forgot about that... They drastically changed how necromancy works in mainline but I didn't think about how it is in bcrawl. Hope my advice didn't ruin your run.
I switched to Sif Muna then got killed on level 7 by a group of hippogriffs unrelated to Gozag.
Hauberk

Post by Hauberk »

I've been playing Zorbus for a while.

It's not easy to survive. I got pretty far with a midget warrior only to buy the farm on floor 3 after a drawn out struggle with rutterkin and orcs. My current character is an elf archer. Since elves can tame animals, and the first floor has *elephants* roaming about, it proved to be a good choice. Pancake kobolds didn't agree.

I also got together with some other adventurers so I've got a proper party now. One elf sorceress, one kodexer insane hermit and an old fighter who looks like Gary Gygax. We'll see how long it lasts...
Rand

Post by Rand »

I honestly don't understand what's going on with CDDA anymore.
I used to be a (very minor) contributor, but I gave up when glaring problems with mapgen, the interface, base building, and important subsurface mechanics were broken arcane nonsense but most of the major dev work was in adding pointless (if not utterly insane) crap and obsessing over containerization of the entire world.
Last edited by Rand on November 19th, 2023, 17:00, edited 1 time in total.
Rand

Post by Rand »

The furthest I got in DCSS was basically as paladin of The Shining One with an absolutely insane set of armor and a eudemon blade. In the lower levels and all the weird demon filled places combat was a breeze. But I wasn't that knowledgeable about the game and fucked up somehow I can't remember and died.
Decline

Post by Decline »

I do not really 'like' the genre, I vastly prefer RTS, but because they're somewhat similar and because there is nothing else I have been playing these with probably less disgust then I should have had:

Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

Rand wrote: November 19th, 2023, 17:00
I used to be a (very minor) contributor, but I gave up when glaring problems with mapgen, the interface, base building, and important subsurface mechanics were broken arcane nonsense but most of the major dev work was in adding pointless (if not utterly insane) crap and obsessing over containerization of the entire world.
They turned comestibles with charges into individual items (e.g. salt (100) to 100 salt) fairly recently, severely slowing down picking up such items, and I don't recall this having been fixed or reverted. They haven't added interesting new mechanics or developed existing mechanics that need developing in months. Erk wants to limit player skill gain - as in you won't be able to go over 6 in each skill on an average run - and instead have him/her rely more on NPCs for skills he/she isn't proficient in.
Last edited by Dead on November 19th, 2023, 21:01, edited 2 times in total.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Dead wrote: November 19th, 2023, 20:51
Rand wrote: November 19th, 2023, 17:00
They turned comestibles with charges into individual items (e.g. salt (100) to 100 salt) fairly recently, severely slowing down picking up such items, and I don't recall this having been fixed or reverted. They haven't added interesting new mechanics or developed existing mechanics that need developing in months. Erk wants to limit player skill gain - as in you won't be able to go over 6 in each skill on an average run - and instead have him/her rely more on NPCs for skills he/she isn't proficient in.
Fuck.

Hauberk

Post by Hauberk »

So I finally beat Zorbus. I didn't get the best ending, but it was a win and I'll take it. :cool:

The only enemy in that picture is the melanin-enriched d.o.c. I'm aiming at. Unfortunately for him, he reached for his waistband even when told not to repeatedly. STOP RESISTING!

The rest are my buddies through powerful charms etc. The only one to make it out in one piece except me was the skeleton warrior. Some thoughts about the game:

-It's pretty fun but once you figure out the formula it becomes more of a chore (towards the end).

-Bouncing sprites.

-Animations are otherwise minimal, but it's still serviceable in my opinion.

-The fun low-level / low-hp survival which you get in the beginning of the game vanishes pretty quickly. It's similar to high-level DnD.

-The inflation extends from HP to magic items. While that +2 mace is great in the beginning, it's nothing when compared to that +6 vampiric unholy bow you can enchant later.

-Great sound design for such simple game. You can generally hear them before you see them approach.

Decent Roguelike. I'd give it 3/5.
Last edited by Hauberk on December 29th, 2023, 11:23, edited 1 time in total.
Anon

Post by Anon »

I played DCSS quite a lot, in fact I still do occasionally. Sadly apparently most roguelikes are taken by an annoying woke, faggy crowd, including DCSS. Dwarf Fortress is the only roguelike I know that retains dignity
Last edited by Anon on January 19th, 2024, 18:30, edited 1 time in total.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Acrux wrote: January 19th, 2024, 19:03
Anon wrote: January 19th, 2024, 18:30
Dwarf Fortress is the only roguelike I know that retains dignity
https://steamcommunity.com/app/975370/d ... _deleted=1

yikes, guess I have to retract what I just said...

though mental illness is a prevalent factor in dwarf fortress so maybe I can just pretend it's just another one of them
Last edited by Anon on January 19th, 2024, 21:17, edited 1 time in total.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Anon wrote: January 19th, 2024, 21:14
Acrux wrote: January 19th, 2024, 19:03
Anon wrote: January 19th, 2024, 18:30
Dwarf Fortress is the only roguelike I know that retains dignity
https://steamcommunity.com/app/975370/d ... _deleted=1

though mental illness is a prevalent factor in dwarf fortress so maybe I can just pretend it's just another one of them
After almost 20 years of the Adams brothers developing DF themselves, they immediately hired a tranny when they released the game on Steam.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Oyster Sauce wrote: January 19th, 2024, 21:23
Anon wrote: January 19th, 2024, 21:14

After almost 20 years of the Adams brothers developing DF themselves, they immediately hired a tranny when they released the game on Steam.
Didn't know that. Yikes again
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Tales of Maj'Eyal is the overall best 'modern' roguelike easily.
It's even available for free from their site, the steam version is the donation version. DLCs cost money tho, I don't blame them, it's a good game.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on January 19th, 2024, 21:38, edited 3 times in total.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

What do you mean by "modern" roguelike?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Dead wrote: January 19th, 2024, 21:45
What do you mean by "modern" roguelike?
Roguelikes with goals other than getting to the bottom of a dungeon.
Goth-Girl-Supremacy

Post by Goth-Girl-Supremacy »

I'd say my personal Hell would be surrounded by roguelikes in every direction but every time I look at Steam they seem to be one step ahead.
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

I hated them for quite a while but lately I've started to warm up to them. Got a few in my backlog now.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Enter the Gungeon > Curse of the Dead Gods > Hades
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Breathe wrote: January 20th, 2024, 21:07
I hated them for quite a while but lately I've started to warm up to them. Got a few in my backlog now.
I played dead cells for a while back in the day. Decent game but it and many others quickly become trying to perfect a certain strategy to get as far as possible as quickly as possible, which to me just feels like gamified speedrunning. That automatically makes it kinda troony, not to mention the games themselves are usually really gay or made by troons, at least the popular ones. I have played some deckbuilding ones in the past though and enjoyed them more.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

Dead Cells is not a roguelike. Neither is Hades, nor Vampire Survivors.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Dead wrote: January 20th, 2024, 21:43
Dead Cells is not a roguelike. Neither is Hades, nor Vampire Survivors.
Ah yes the obligatory "not a real roguelike" comment. It's pretty funny because the actual "roguelikes" just suck compared to the supposed fakes.