We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Jagged Alliance 3.

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

cpmartins wrote: July 16th, 2023, 20:43
PROS:
Tactical layer has a lot of options.
Stealth is a viable option when it fucking works.
Overwatch farming is possible if your shooters don't suck balls.
Explosives are fun to use, especially on CQC.

MEH:
Night-ops are a mixed bag with the enemy just fishing burst-fire damage through blind fire.
Party banter is hit or miss.

SHIT:
It fucking uses pod behavior, when combat starts the enemy can take a move turn. This leads to utter retardation like your stealth knife merc waiting for the guy he just stabbed in the neck to run away. What the fuck were they thinking.
No Bobby Ray. No, you can't buy guns in a mercenary game about guns. I found a few vendors but they were all worthless.
Can't sell your guns anywhere so far, and mines will eventually run out. Yes, all of them.

There's more, but so far it's a 6/10 for me. I'll update the post when I'm further into it.
I'm not shocked but this makes me sad.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Enemies stand in clusters (pods) around the map and the whole pod is activated when one of your guys moves within an arbitrary range, instead of individually wandering around like in the original xcom. Most nuxcom clones have pods. Usually the enemies get a free move action so you would have to aoe or overwatch the pod if you want to kill them before they get in cover.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Between pods and bughunts I'll take pods every time.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

That means you don't like the old X-Com though innit?
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

General Reign wrote: July 17th, 2023, 10:58
Nobody liked the bug-hunt behavior. That's why recent mods for it have surrender mechanics and automatically activate a cheat to show you the last couple enemies if it's passed 20 turns.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

Emphyrio wrote: July 17th, 2023, 11:56
General Reign wrote: July 17th, 2023, 10:58
Nobody liked the bug-hunt behavior. That's why recent mods for it have surrender mechanics and automatically activate a cheat to show you the last couple enemies if it's passed 20 turns.
I guess I did. I liked X-Com Files more than the base game though.
Humbaba

Post by Humbaba »

In JA2 enemies stand around or patrol in fixed locations and if they get an interrupt they also get a free first turn so I don't know what the complaint is here.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

How is it compared to Troubleshooter?
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Emphyrio wrote: July 17th, 2023, 21:38
Honestly I thought it was pretty shit, comparison aside. Just not my kind of game even though it's in one of my favorite genres.
Gregz
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gregz »

GhostCow wrote: July 17th, 2023, 21:42
Emphyrio wrote: July 17th, 2023, 21:38
Honestly I thought it was pretty shit, comparison aside. Just not my kind of game even though it's in one of my favorite genres.
You thought JA3 was shit, or Troubleshooter?
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

JA3. I hadn't played the previous games in the series, so I didn't know what to expect, but it just wasn't for me. I don't think it's a bad game. Just not to my taste.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

GhostCow wrote: July 17th, 2023, 21:45
JA3. I hadn't played the previous games in the series, so I didn't know what to expect, but it just wasn't for me. I don't think it's a bad game. Just not to my taste.
why
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Too much management. I don't really want to have to mine for money or balance hiring costs in that kind of game. I also really didn't like the way combat gets initiated. It's basically real time with no pause up until the enemy sees you and then they get a free turn to move. I know that's common in these kinds of games from playing nuXCOM, but at least in nuXCOM it stays turn based, even before combat, so you can set your team up how you want before initiating. In JA3 it seems more like you're supposed to sneak in and put everyone in overwatch before the start of combat, except the enemy tends to see you before you can set up. It all just kind of seemed like a pain in the ass to me compared to something like nuXCOM, Fire Emblem, or Troubleshooter.

Even in Troubleshooter I completely skipped some of the mechanics that I didn't care for like crafting, building robots, and training pokemon.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

reasonable criticisms.

I love the concept but the gameplay of JA2 wasn't my favorite either. The time limits on mercs is weird. Why not streamline it and pay everyone per diem?
Goth-Girl-Supremacy

Post by Goth-Girl-Supremacy »

Will wait for Lilura's blog post before deciding if it sucks or not.
Humbaba

Post by Humbaba »

[dropshadow=yellow]Right lads, what's the verdict?

-Humbaba[/dropshadow]
celsus

Post by celsus »

rusty
Last edited by celsus on September 29th, 2023, 08:48, edited 1 time in total.
Gregz
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gregz »

Emphyrio wrote: July 14th, 2023, 17:01
Fedora Master wrote: July 14th, 2023, 16:52
ALL REVIEWS:
Mixed (162)

lol
80% of the negative reviews are "it performs badly on my machine"
No, there are many reviews citing poor design decisions that affect initiative, stealth, etc.

I'm going to wait until these issues are addressed through fan mods. Thankfully this game is mod friendly.
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

Humbaba wrote: July 30th, 2023, 10:59
[bannedeffect=yellow]Right lads, what's the verdict?

-Humbaba[/partychairmandoesnotpermit]
I was going to reply, but then I realize Rusty has banned the dropshadow BBcode so I had to edit Humbaba's post to be allowed to reply... what is this Soviet Russia?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Atlantico wrote: July 31st, 2023, 17:08
I was going to reply, but then I realize Rusty has banned the dropshadow BBcode so I had to edit Humbaba's post to be allowed to reply... what is this Soviet Russia?
Sorry, didn't realize it did this. Should be fixed now.
Humbaba

Post by Humbaba »

This is the second time I've been the cause of a removed feature. Pretty based by me.

-Humbaba
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

I know a retard that is really enjoying this so I know it is not that great.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

General Reign wrote: July 31st, 2023, 19:50
I know a retard that is really enjoying this so I know it is not that great.
It's okay, you can say Humbaba's name.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

Actually it is a guy from NMA but I am glad that yellow text thing is gone before I saw it.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

celsus wrote: July 31st, 2023, 15:51
codexian edgelords can't even be consistent anymore
"I wonder what my authority figure has to say about my fun. Can I like this game? Oh please dragon daddy Lolura, post your deconstruction of Jagged Alliance 3, so I can smear your personal feelings all over youtube comments sections and reddit!"

I've only cleared Ernie Island since I last posted about JA3, its a good farewell to tactical games. I'm done with the genre, I even have no desire left to play Battle Bros. Too bad that Urban Trash game didn't come out sooner, because it looked better than JA3, but whatever I'm done. If you like these games, you will like JA3, unless you are just a grognard or tired of Xcoms and pseud tactics.
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

BG3 and JA3, games made decades after their ostensible predecessor and by another studio. Not an auspicious start.

JA3 needs to prove itself on its own merit by being a good game in isolation, but also has to be a worthwhile sequel to JA2. My expectations are low.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

No conscious person could've expected this to be good.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Nobody ever played jagged alliance 2, so 3 had to overcome how people remember ja2 should have been, which is impossible. The game is a tactical game. It has the tactics, guns, and stupid combat barks of 2, but none of your nostolgia.