We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Avowed, a TES-like game from Obsidian

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Inventory management is a sufficient minigame for me, thanks. A variety of challenges is good, though, so puzzles and secrets are nice.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 6th, 2024, 12:31
so-called 'minigames' and similar are palette cleansers. Essential for a good game, but destroy it when overused.
"Minigames are a waste of time" - Chris Avellone
"Josh Sawyer spent too much time on caravan; time that would have been better spent elsewhere" - also Chris Avellone
"I don't care for minigames" - Tim Cain
"I like well-executed minigames" - Josh Sawyer
Mondain

Post by Mondain »

Roguey wrote: February 6th, 2024, 13:08
rusty_shackleford wrote: February 6th, 2024, 12:31
so-called 'minigames' and similar are palette cleansers. Essential for a good game, but destroy it when overused.
"Minigames are a waste of time" - Chris Avellone
"Josh Sawyer spent too much time on caravan; time that would have been better spent elsewhere" - also Chris Avellone
"I don't care for minigames" - Tim Cain
"I like well-executed minigames" - Josh Sawyer
They're all wrong except Sawyer.
Ratcatcher
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ratcatcher »

And yet they all wish they had a fraction of the brillance possessed by the minds that gave us arcomage.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Minigames and puzzles are stupid, if I want to play a minigame and/or a puzzle I'll just fucking go play these genres, I don't need my RPG game pushing me that. Throwing puzzles at you like a you're monkey (and worse, you solving them like you're really one) shouldn't be what an RPG is about.

Secrets and challenges are nice
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

It depends on how the puzzle is integrated. If it's just a random Tower of Hanoi, yeah, that's not very good, but if it's something that can be solved by environmental interaction, that really adds to the game.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Yeah I can see it in a occasion where I'm solving a puzzle when I didn't even know I'm solving one because of how well integrated it is.

But when you're put somewhere you explicitly know it's the "puzzle section", it fucking sucks and makes me google the solution ASAP

Still, if I could choose, I'd pick no puzzles at all, only focus on writing and combat.
Last edited by Anon on February 6th, 2024, 13:49, edited 2 times in total.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

My rpg maker pokemon hack would outsell this trash.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Anon wrote: February 6th, 2024, 13:25
Minigames and puzzles are stupid, if I want to play a minigame and/or a puzzle I'll just fucking go play these genres, I don't need my RPG game pushing me that. Throwing puzzles at you like a you're monkey (and worse, you solving them like you're really one) shouldn't be what an RPG is about.

Secrets and challenges are nice
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

The director then goes on to explain how the footage we saw during the Developer Direct is actually "a few weeks behind" where the team is currently, in terms of its development.
Oh that's a relief, the footage was THREE WHOLE WEEKS old. Surely the game is perfect now.

This really isn't the "own" that Coping Patel thinks it is. Obsidian seriously needs a PR manager to hide these turds-masquerading-as-games better.
Last edited by Shillitron on February 6th, 2024, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

I like minigames when they're well done. Americans just hate fun.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Ratcatcher wrote: February 6th, 2024, 13:23
And yet they all wish they had a fraction of the brillance possessed by the minds that gave us arcomage.
Play to your heart's content.

https://github.com/arcomage/arcomage-hd
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Acrux wrote: February 6th, 2024, 14:59
Ratcatcher wrote: February 6th, 2024, 13:23
Play to your heart's content.

https://github.com/arcomage/arcomage-hd
It's not the same, it's like telling someone to eat a bowl of rice. It's alright, but it's not the same.