We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Avowed, a TES-like game from Obsidian

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Anon

Post by Anon »

1998 wrote: January 19th, 2024, 14:59
Anon wrote: January 19th, 2024, 14:28
this will be just yet another Obsidian massive flop. then maybe they'll finally shut off and of course blame the community for not buying their shit anymore.
Yes, it will commercially flop. But they probably play it off like another massive success counting every single 1min playtime Game Pass installation.
True, like Bethesda is doing with Starfield. But deep down they know they set their expectations way higher than what they're getting.
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

I can't imagine working on a mediocre product (for years) while knowing it's mediocre and having to fake enthusiasm for it. We never see the regular devs who leave the studio for this reason, and would rather work on something great. We only see the leftovers who are proud of their mediocrity or too green to know better.
Last edited by Breathe on January 19th, 2024, 17:52, edited 1 time in total.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Rand wrote: January 19th, 2024, 12:26
I don't know what the world would have been like if the Nazi leaders were smarter and allied with Britain and America instead of fighting them
Hitler tried over and over again to ally with Britain and they refused every time.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Vergil wrote: January 19th, 2024, 18:34
Rand wrote: January 19th, 2024, 12:26
I don't know what the world would have been like if the Nazi leaders were smarter and allied with Britain and America instead of fighting them
Hitler tried over and over again to ally with Britain and they refused every time.
Never said they didn't. Just that they didn't pull it off.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Not sure how they were supposed to have been "smarter" then if they tried exactly what you said they should have done and were refused.

Also idc about being off topic WWII sperging is more interesting than Obsidian slop. Probably has better lore too.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Vergil wrote: January 19th, 2024, 21:17
Not sure how they were supposed to have been "smarter" then if they tried exactly what you said they should have done and were refused.

Also idc about being off topic WWII sperging is more interesting than Obsidian slop. Probably has better lore too.
They weren't too bright with their American dealings, iirc.
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

Rand wrote: January 20th, 2024, 22:09
Vergil wrote: January 19th, 2024, 21:17

They weren't too bright with their American dealings, iirc.
I don't know enough about any conversations between US and Germany post WW1, but after the Balfour Declaration was made prior to WW1 I don't think there was much Germany could do from that point forward anyway. Jews used their media control to propagandize US into backing the Brits so they could get Palestine.
Last edited by Breathe on January 20th, 2024, 22:15, edited 1 time in total.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

I'm calling it here btw
If there's any White male companions it's going to be a single guy and he'll be a mega faggot.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Avowed got an 'E' rating from ESRB(????)

for non-Americans, that's for games rated 10 and up.
Games with this rating contain content that the ESRB believes is suitable for ages 10 and over, including cartoon, fantasy, or mild violence, mild language, and/or minimal suggestive themes
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

That did strike me as pretty odd when it first popped up. Just how sanitized is this gonna be? Doesn't obsidian love to larp that they tell "deep, meaningful morally grey stories? It already looks like an edges sanded off F2P MMO as it is.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Its rated 10+ for it's brave display of bipoc and trans allies. Gotta grab the kiddies.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Wouldn't be shocked if you pitted two games against each other that had romantic/sexual themes and one was straight with the other one being gay the fag game would get a lower score because straight sexuality is repressive and lame but gay buttsex is stunning, brave, and important.
Axel_am

Post by Axel_am »

I have fait that when this gets patched/modded it would actually be something decent. But as it stands Avowed looks like a huge let down.

I see at best the base product being average or slightly above it. I wouldn't like to think about the other alternatives as that dampens my mood. The thing is the whole project looks really uninspired. I hope they manage somehow to insert some life into it or else this is just going to be another Hollowborn by Obsidian.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Axel_am wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 10:33
I have fait that when this gets patched/modded it would actually be something decent.
Only problem with that there's no guarantee it will be very moddable or have any sort of meaningful modding scene build up around it. The Outer Worlds didn't get any sort of mod support did it?
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 04:22
Avowed got an 'E' rating from ESRB(????)

for non-Americans, that's for games rated 10 and up.
Games with this rating contain content that the ESRB believes is suitable for ages 10 and over, including cartoon, fantasy, or mild violence, mild language, and/or minimal suggestive themes
That was an error, they made the video private and uploaded a new one with a "rating pending" instead.
Axel_am

Post by Axel_am »

Vergil wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 11:10
Axel_am wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 10:33
I have fait that when this gets patched/modded it would actually be something decent.
Only problem with that there's no guarantee it will be very moddable or have any sort of meaningful modding scene build up around it. The Outer Worlds didn't get any sort of mod support did it?

If they are hoping Avowed to compete with TES they must have made plans for mod support is what I'm thinking.
Last edited by Axel_am on January 22nd, 2024, 16:40, edited 1 time in total.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

Deeper dive:

They confirm you'll be able to use spells on the environment.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Does MicroSoft force their indentured developers to make their games as awful as possible, or is it just the Pajeet magic touch?
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

gerey wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 21:35
Does MicroSoft force their indentured developers to make their games as awful as possible, or is it just the Pajeet magic touch?
After finding out that Bethesda offshored big chunks of starfields development to Indonesia and India, I wonder if Microsoft just forces all their dev niggers offshore to reduce costs, especially since Xbox is now a netflix style company
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

Nammu Archag wrote: January 24th, 2024, 02:54
After finding out that Bethesda offshored big chunks of starfields development to Indonesia and India, I wonder if Microsoft just forces all their dev niggers offshore to reduce costs, especially since Xbox is now a netflix style company
I didn't know this. No wonder it's not just soulless but also complete crap in every regard.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

Devs being diversity hires + focus groups being diversity hires = Avowed. Any white men on the team not committed to chopping off their genitalia is just coasting and keeping their heads down, while their brown female superiors call the shots and clap like seals at all the heckin' AMAZING work being done. Especially at the weekly diversity and inclusion meetings taking place, those are the best times for sure. No one with taste actually thinks the game looks good, but they don't have control of the ship so they just nod and smile and hope they won't get fired next week for being white males with talent and creativity.

They probably get snubbed at the cafeteria, snubbed during their coffee breaks, and bring some air fresheners to work to mask the smell of foul odours emanating from their "fellow employees". But they dare not speak a word of it, and they dare not reveal it, otherwise they'd be ostracised even more. On the outside we get terrible games, but on the inside?, I struggle to think of what goes on.
Wretch

Post by Wretch »

KnightoftheWind wrote: January 24th, 2024, 03:11
Devs being diversity hires + focus groups being diversity hires = Avowed. Any white men on the team not committed to chopping off their genitalia is just coasting and keeping their heads down, while their brown female superiors call the shots and clap like seals at all the heckin' AMAZING work being done. Especially at the weekly diversity and inclusion meetings taking place, those are the best times for sure. No one with taste actually thinks the game looks good, but they don't have control of the ship so they just nod and smile and hope they won't get fired next week for being white males with talent and creativity.

They probably get snubbed at the cafeteria, snubbed during their coffee breaks, and bring some air fresheners to work to mask the smell of foul odours emanating from their "fellow employees". But they dare not speak a word of it, and they dare not reveal it, otherwise they'd be ostracised even more. On the outside we get terrible games, but on the inside?, I struggle to think of what goes on.
This is unfortunately the average western employee experience, not just game dev.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

Vergil wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 04:30
That did strike me as pretty odd when it first popped up. Just how sanitized is this gonna be? Doesn't obsidian love to larp that they tell "deep, meaningful morally grey stories? It already looks like an edges sanded off F2P MMO as it is.
I remember Sawyer gushing about how adult Deadfire was gonna be.. and it ended up just being a bunch of naked guys with shitty low poly penis's walking around in a bath house.

No wonder his Girlfriend left him.
Last edited by Shillitron on January 24th, 2024, 03:22, edited 2 times in total.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

https://www.pcgamer.com/avoweds-compani ... know-them/
Avowed's companions won't ditch you for making the 'wrong' choices: 'It's not about maintaining their approval, it's about getting to know them'

Storywise, companions will each have a "personal arc," said Patel, and they'll all be involved in each playthrough—it's not like Baldur's Gate 3 where you can walk by a hand sticking out of a portal, shrug it off, and leave Gale to his fate.

"We didn't go with a strict approval system. We didn't want players feeling like they had to choose the 'right' options in order to maintain their companions. So it's not about maintaining their approval, it's about getting to know them, building relationships with them, and you know, finding points of commonality and strength where they're learning things from you as the player character, and you're getting a little bit of their perspective on the world." said Patel.
pathetic. The reactivity will likely be worse than in TOW.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 24th, 2024, 08:09
it's going to be absolute garbage
She's an affluent white woman who took her husband's last name for the exotic factor.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Roguey wrote: January 24th, 2024, 10:45
She's an affluent white woman who took her husband's last name for the exotic factor.
I'm well aware, but she's also an absolutely awful writer.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 24th, 2024, 10:48
Roguey wrote: January 24th, 2024, 10:45
I'm well aware, but she's also an absolutely awful writer.
I didn't mind Aloth and Sagani or her finish on Grieving Milf, and I've heard good things about the Devil of Caroc, but she fell hard with Maneha in White March part II and seems to have stayed there. It's a mystery if her self-insert in The Outer Worlds is an intentional clown with her immature rebellious attitude despite being well into adulthood.