We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Avowed, a TES-like game from Obsidian

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Avowed, a TES-like game from Obsidian

Post by wndrbr »

looks like a $20 asset flip.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

I don't care about graphics whatsoever, but for an industry that prioritizes "cutting edge" visuals for every new release, this tripe looks no better than The Witcher III. A 2015 game. In fact at some points it looks worse, just because the art design is so bad.

This has to be one of the worst showcases I've seen in recent memory, not one thing shown looked appealing. We're definitely in the late stages of AAA gaming, it can't last much longer.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

2 and a half minutes of absolutely nothing, about as much as I expected from nusidian's team working 5 years straight.

13 years ago Obsidian was capable of putting out games like FNV in an 18 month dev cycle, now they can't even make an in-engine demo reel in 60.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Fampyr sisters... we got too cocky.

MadPreacher

Post by MadPreacher »

Obsidian trying to make face diapers look cool...
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

"Y-you scare us."

Look out, Dragonborn! Get ready to be deconstructed by an intelligent game for smart gamers.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Can't wait to see some TOUGH women with thick biceps and flat chests.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Stop trying to make the Pillars setting happen. It's not going to happen.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

FORGE

YOUR

[glow=yellow]DESTINY[/glow]

Boilerplate ARGP. Sign me right up for this.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

Yeah, after getting all that Microsoft money this is a really pathetic showing. inXile is making games with better graphics than Obsidian now.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

According to a preview, the game won't feature classes.

And there are only two playable races - Humans and Elves. Probably because it was too difficult and time consuming to make main character's height variable.
Vlajdimir Ermenović

Post by Vlajdimir Ermenović »

Game trailers are such cringe. Give me 20 minutes of unedited gameplay showing the core gameplay mechanics. How is this gayness at all representative of the final product?
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

https://www.pcgamer.com/avowed-open-wor ... -rpg-size/
When Avowed was first announced with a CGI trailer back in 2020, the headlines and discussions that it sparked all pointed to one specific game: Skyrim. Even though the teaser didn't give away much, the similarities were clear. First-person view; a sword in the right hand, a spell in the left. Surely this was Obsidian's take on an enormous Bethesda-style RPG? And yes, it turns out that was the plan—at least at first.

"Originally we were pitching, in essence, our Skyrim. But that is not what Avowed, as it currently exists, is going to be. I think over the course of time as we worked on it… Bethesda makes an awesome Skyrim. Mojang makes an awesome Minecraft, and Turn10 makes awesome racing games. What we do is we make our awesome RPGs, right? That's when we backed up and said again: What are we good at? What's our lane? Outer Worlds is the greatest, latest example of that," said Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart in an exclusive interview with PC Gamer.
everything is going according to keikaku, we downscoped the project because we wanted to do so, not because we are incompetent.

WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Copesidian wrote:
That's when we backed up and said again: What are we good at? What's our lane? Outer Worlds is the greatest, latest example of that.
:what:
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

wndrbr wrote: June 15th, 2023, 08:53
https://www.pcgamer.com/avowed-open-wor ... -rpg-size/
When Avowed was first announced with a CGI trailer back in 2020, the headlines and discussions that it sparked all pointed to one specific game: Skyrim. Even though the teaser didn't give away much, the similarities were clear. First-person view; a sword in the right hand, a spell in the left. Surely this was Obsidian's take on an enormous Bethesda-style RPG? And yes, it turns out that was the plan—at least at first.

"Originally we were pitching, in essence, our Skyrim. But that is not what Avowed, as it currently exists, is going to be. I think over the course of time as we worked on it… Bethesda makes an awesome Skyrim. Mojang makes an awesome Minecraft, and Turn10 makes awesome racing games. What we do is we make our awesome RPGs, right? That's when we backed up and said again: What are we good at? What's our lane? Outer Worlds is the greatest, latest example of that," said Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart in an exclusive interview with PC Gamer.

Post by 1998 »

Yes, it looks like shit. But seriously, where did all this Skyrim Clone shit comes from? Just because its first person? Or did Obsidian push it? I don't even consider Skyrim to be a somewhat decent game, but in what way is this crap supposed to be TES-like?
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

1998 wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 18:16
Yes, it looks like shit. But seriously, where did all this Skyrim Clone shit comes from? Just because its first person? Or did Obsidian push it? I don't even consider Skyrim to be a somewhat decent game, but in what way is this crap supposed to be TES-like?
Chris Parker's goal was to make his own Skyrim. That version was scrapped.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

1998 wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 18:16
The first marketting material didn't show much except dual-wielding a sword and a spell in a skyrim-looking dungeon.
Klerik

Post by Klerik »

"20 years making games your way."

I DON'T WANT YOU TO MAKE GAMES MY WAY MORON. YOU ASK A FUCKING ACCOUNTANT HOW TO INSTALL A TRANSMISSION

I WANT YOU TO MAKE GAMES LIKE YOU DID WHEN YOU GAVE A SHIT.

Your studio is making fuck... 5 games at once and they are all mediocre garbage.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

empty marketing talk for the most part, but has a small nugget of new info - "Avowed had a co-op focus early in development".

Lol
Element

Post by Element »

KnightoftheWind wrote: June 11th, 2023, 17:30
I don't care about graphics whatsoever, but for an industry that prioritizes "cutting edge" visuals for every new release, this tripe looks no better than The Witcher III. A 2015 game. In fact at some points it looks worse, just because the art design is so bad.

This has to be one of the worst showcases I've seen in recent memory, not one thing shown looked appealing. We're definitely in the late stages of AAA gaming, it can't last much longer.
I think it looks a lot worse than Witcher. Imo quality of animations is an underrated aspect of 'graphics' since bad animations tend to stick out in a way that makes everything look off. Everything here moves and feels like a puppet.

PS: also the shaders for things like hot air above the braziers and the glowing orbs are horrific
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

wndrbr wrote: August 9th, 2023, 03:46

empty marketing talk for the most part, but has a small nugget of new info - "Avowed had a co-op focus early in development".

Lol
Dudes wearing a PBS shirt and his soy tits are showing xDD
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

Element wrote: August 9th, 2023, 16:35

I think it looks a lot worse than Witcher. Imo quality of animations is an underrated aspect of 'graphics' since bad animations tend to stick out in a way that makes everything look off. Everything here moves and feels like a puppet.

PS: also the shaders for things like hot air above the braziers and the glowing orbs are horrific
As fidelity increases, the less room there is for things to look "off". We accept that a PS1 game is never going to look photorealistic, but for modern AAA games they have to be as polished and bug free as possible, otherwise the immersion falls apart.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

wndrbr wrote: June 15th, 2023, 08:53
What's our lane? Outer Worlds is the greatest, latest example of that," said Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart

Got it.. so Obsidian is dead. :smug:
Red7

Post by Red7 »

funny i thought it looks worse than skyrim trailer. which means worse than vanilla skyrim with some very low end enb, trailer had better lighting than released game.

i just saw some kuktuber be like "those guys made new vegas they know how to make good shit".

no they dont. they fired those guys longa ago.
Red7

Post by Red7 »

Klerik wrote: June 24th, 2023, 20:20
"20 years making games your way."

I DON'T WANT YOU TO MAKE GAMES MY WAY MORON. YOU ASK A FUCKING ACCOUNTANT HOW TO INSTALL A TRANSMISSION

I WANT YOU TO MAKE GAMES LIKE YOU DID WHEN YOU GAVE A SHIT.

Your studio is making fuck... 5 games at once and they are all mediocre garbage.
u just hate all the precious women hired in their studio. they succeed/get their wage gap salary because of their talent. obsidian should make new logo tho kinda like bud light or some shit.
Red7

Post by Red7 »

he said "microsoft let us be us". damn, cant think of bigger insult. i guess they sucked so much they dindt had soy them up even.