We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

The Dragon's Dogma 2 Thread

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

I feel like there's more animal abuse in this game than is usual in RPG games.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

If you've watched the showcase and/or case about this title a lot, they seem to be having a survey you can fill up:

https://project.tolunastart.com/tqsrunt ... Q3CkkIPGEX

The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

A new support class that can make stuff out of smoke and/or illusions.

GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

I can't imagine anything more gay than playing a support character in a single player arpg
Rand

Post by Rand »

GhostCow wrote: December 3rd, 2023, 15:55
I can't imagine anything more gay than playing a support character in a single player arpg
Swinging around a censer to fight is pretty gay on its own.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

I know this is a horrible thought, but women play videogames.

I know. I know.

And some of them like to play these roles, because it suits them.

I know! I know!

Don't shoot the messenger!
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

The_Mask wrote: December 3rd, 2023, 19:39
I know this is a horrible thought, but women play videogames.
Women play Animal Crossing and the Sims, not ARPGs.
Ratcatcher
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ratcatcher »

Well, gay men do play videogames. I suppose we should ask them to rate this on a scale of gay.
Sweeper

Post by Sweeper »

Ratcatcher wrote: December 3rd, 2023, 22:31
Well, gay men do play videogames. I suppose we should ask them to rate this on a scale of gay.
@Slavic Sorcerer
Slavic Sorcerer

Post by Slavic Sorcerer »

Sweeper wrote: December 3rd, 2023, 22:37
@Slavic Sorcerer
Thanks for summoning me.
Rand wrote: December 3rd, 2023, 16:38
I don't find either of those gay at all.
I understand why there are people who think it is.

Apologies for a fever-induced-sleep-deprived-walltext of a dude who loves playing healers.

Real life equivalent would be a nurse.
Being a nurse is typically a woman's job.
Women are not fit for the frontlines, but they have (or used to have) an instinct to take care of the sick and wounded.
So "healing" and "supporting" someone is often viewed as "female role".

This one is very specific, but the pre-Christian Vikings found male practitioners of magic as unmanly.
In short, instead of going on the frontlines, a man who is a seiðmaðr (one who practices seið , women's magic) was deemed argr ("unmanly, effeminate, cowardly")
While The Viking Answe Lady's article is mostly about pre-Christian Viking's views on homosexuality, there are certain snippits relating to that aspect in the article.

The whole vibe of "healers are gay" also probably stems from portrayal of healers as cute, innocent, often childish women with big booba.
If you look at the roster of League of Legends or DoTA, you would have a hard time finding a male healer.
A support is more likely to be found, but vast majority of support and healer roles are filled by female characters.

It's also oftentimes a role assigned to a mandatory female in the team.
It's hard to fuck up, and it circles back to the cutesy, pretty design.

If there's a male healer however, they are often on the pretty side than manly.

Another one is the portrayal of male magic casters overall. They are usually on the slim side, and they are not physically strong
Which makes sense. They did not practice sword swings, but magic.

TL;DR - playing a support/healer is not gay in itself.
It's deemed as gay cause you're not on the frontlines getting your ass chopped off
Healers are often big booba cute women in the media
Guys playing healers are like guys working as nurses
Last edited by Slavic Sorcerer on December 4th, 2023, 20:51, edited 1 time in total.
Sweeper

Post by Sweeper »

Slavic Sorcerer wrote: December 4th, 2023, 20:50
Rand

Post by Rand »

Apologies for a fever-induced-sleep-deprived-walltext of a dude who loves playing healers.

Women are not fit for the frontlines, but they have (or used to have) an instinct to take care of the sick and wounded.

This one is very specific, but the pre-Christian Vikings found male practitioners of magic as unmanly.
In short, instead of going on the frontlines, a man who is a seiðmaðr (one who practices seið , women's magic) was deemed argr ("unmanly, effeminate, cowardly")
While The Viking Answe Lady's article is mostly about pre-Christian Viking's views on homosexuality, there are certain snippits relating to that aspect in the article.

The whole vibe of "healers are gay" also probably stems from portrayal of healers as cute, innocent, often childish women with big booba.
If you look at the roster of League of Legends or DoTA, you would have a hard time finding a male healer.
A support is more likely to be found, but vast majority of support and healer roles are filled by female characters.

Another one is the portrayal of male magic casters overall. They are usually on the slim side, and they are not physically strong

It's deemed as gay cause you're not on the frontlines getting your ass chopped off
Note that I don't mean gay as in the old definition of homosexual.
I mean gay as in the new disconnected definition... call it in the realm of "soy" may actually fit better.
Last edited by Rand on December 4th, 2023, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.
Slavic Sorcerer

Rand wrote: December 4th, 2023, 23:30
I mean gay as in the new disconnected definition... call it in the realm of "soy" may actually fit better.
So "gay" as in "unmanly"?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

It can be explained much easier than that.
Women play healers because they like to control everything indirectly.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Nothing is more dangerous to an online group than a female healer who "just wants to help."
Rand

Post by Rand »

Slavic Sorcerer wrote: December 5th, 2023, 07:41
Yes? But it's a bit different, too.
(I suppose that's the reason "gay" morphed a bit further to fill the spot.)
Slavic Sorcerer

Rand wrote: December 5th, 2023, 15:23
Slavic Sorcerer wrote: December 5th, 2023, 07:41
Yes? But it's a bit different, too.
(I suppose that's the reason "gay" morphed a bit further to fill the spot.)
I kinda catch the drift. I think. I guess?
Hard to argue it's not "gay" in that sense (if I got it correnctly), I'll give you that.

It's much more glorious to be on the frontlines after all.
Last edited by Slavic Sorcerer on December 5th, 2023, 15:47, edited 1 time in total.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

I don't remember if this was a type of monster in the first one, so I'm going to mask it just in case.

Dullahan:

[quote]Dullahan is a knight covered in a spiritual purple flame, cradling his own head in his arm.

He engages in deadly swordplay with a firm stance.

In the dark, he transforms into black mist and stalks the living.[/quote]

Slavic Sorcerer

The_Mask wrote: December 5th, 2023, 22:16
I don't remember if this was a type of monster in the first one, so I'm going to mask it just in case.

Dullahan:

[quote]Dullahan is a knight covered in a spiritual purple flame, cradling his own head in his arm.

He engages in deadly swordplay with a firm stance.

In the dark, he transforms into black mist and stalks the living.
Image[/ispoiler]
[/quote]

I dont recall anything such badass, even in the Isles.
Either it wasnt there or it was overshadowed by the Isles themselves (Death was neat as fuck)
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

Not a surprise: the warrior.

The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

Unsurprising, again... The Sorceror:

Goth-Girl-Supremacy

Post by Goth-Girl-Supremacy »

The Dullahan was kind of in the previous game but was called Living Armor.
tsuchi

Post by tsuchi »

Sweeper wrote: December 3rd, 2023, 22:37
@Slavic Sorcerer
Thanks for summoning me.

yeah but the thing is tis does not pertain to the censor in anyway. censor if anyone here saw the actual gameplay it's bascially a summoner, who summons illusions. i not only think it's a supercool idea but also a very spectacula class. it has nothing to do with healing as far as we know and it's also not strictly for support, you can literally summon a dragon in the gameplay video.

ALSO the thing about sorceres beeing usually slim is also partially true. yes that is usually the case but it depends on what kind of take on magic we are discussing. what about spellblades or any form of magic knight in general? what about alchemists from full metal alchemist wich were also basically ALL mage soldiers/warrior who often fought with malee weapons too and could be even massive like armstrong? i don't find the concept of magic or wizards in game gay at all..healer? maybe, but not a wizard on general terms and even less a summoner, for if that's the case basically every single persone here who has played ANY card game ( mtg,yugi,pokemon) is also gay, since that's precisely what you do in lore. and i bet EVERYONE here has played at least one of those.

censor is super cool. altough i REALLY hope they introduce the monk class this time around, i wan't to kick some dragon ass. literally.
Slavic Sorcerer

tsuchi wrote: December 12th, 2023, 01:13

yeah but the thing is tis does not pertain to the censor in anyway. censor if anyone here saw the actual gameplay it's bascially a summoner, who summons illusions. i not only think it's a supercool idea but also a very spectacula class. it has nothing to do with healing as far as we know and it's also not strictly for support, you can literally summon a dragon in the gameplay video.

ALSO the thing about sorceres beeing usually slim is also partially true. yes that is usually the case but it depends on what kind of take on magic we are discussing. what about spellblades or any form of magic knight in general? what about alchemists from full metal alchemist wich were also basically ALL mage soldiers/warrior who often fought with malee weapons too and could be even massive like armstrong? i don't find the concept of magic or wizards in game gay at all..healer? maybe, but not a wizard on general terms and even less a summoner, for if that's the case basically every single persone here who has played ANY card game ( mtg,yugi,pokemon) is also gay, since that's precisely what you do in lore. and i bet EVERYONE here has played at least one of those.

censor is super cool. altough i REALLY hope they introduce the monk class this time around, i wan't to kick some dragon ass. literally.

This Trickster class is fucking rad. If there is no better one, I'm gonna play Trickster.

Damn, I forgot about spellblades for a moment. I was focused on pure casters.
You're absolutely correct.

The core of the discussion was "playing support is gay".
IMO that's the least gayest thing.
You pick up a role that can turn the tides of battle and make sure your companions survive.

Or, like the youngster say, you make sure homies do big pp damage and don't die

I feel like this type of argument or opinion stems from fragile manliness and/or sexuality (hate to use that term but it is what it is)
Horror stories I've heard like men not wiping their own butts cause touching your anus is gay, or fathers not hugging their sons cause the son might grow up gay, ale both hilarious and concerning
Hell, long hair was gay for men when and where I grew up, unless you were Jesus Himself
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Playing support is just not a very appealing thing for most people. Sitting in the back and making sure everyone else is topped off is easy to insult. Would you rather be the guy with a sword who kills monsters or the guy who carries his food and water around for him? This becomes even more of an issue when you're not even helping a real team, you're watching AI fight while you do stuff in the background.
I remember when playing WoW it was extremely difficult to find a healer to queue for a dungeon because no one wants to be healer.
Also in personal experience everyone I've known who has played as a healer has been a woman or a guy who was too incompetent to do anything else.
Goth-Girl-Supremacy wrote: September 27th, 2023, 04:34
It's fine. Better to spam about DD2 than endure this Vergin fag shitting up every thread like it's some compulsion.
Zamn I only just saw this. I'll try to get better about posting more often just for you
As if your username and pfp weren't banal enough :lol:
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

Vergil wrote: December 12th, 2023, 14:37
Playing support is just not a very appealing thing for most people. Sitting in the back and making sure everyone else is topped off is easy to insult. Would you rather be the guy with a sword who kills monsters or the guy who carries his food and water around for him?
Speaking for myself, if I know I have a steady group, I love playing support classes. I stop having fun with it when I have to do stuff on my own. Which is what Dragon's Dogma is (yes, yes, we get a Pawn, not the same)...
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

healer isn't support, support is support, healer is healer