We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

The Dragon's Dogma 2 Thread

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

As someone who loved the first DragDog, I'd probably buy it, but I need Crapcom to first get their heads out of their asses, fix the performance, drop Denuvo and stop being fags in general. Which may take some years. The diversity problem is not in-game (the first DragDog had niggers-a-plenty), but in Crapcom's offices. They need to stop hiring tards, trannies, niggers and women to fill their ESG quotas.
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

I'm contemplating just forgetting about the game. It doesn't seem nearly as good as I was hoping.

Plus people are calling it a remake and things look awfully similar while I'm watching a bit of Lobos playing through the beginning.
Last edited by Breathe on March 24th, 2024, 13:41, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

yewtoober made a video on what is 'paytowin' in gaming, includes a throwaway line referencing paying for fast travel in dragon's dogma 2 and got flooded with attacks by butthurt dd2 fans

dd2 confirmed for having the most mentally healthy fanbase
TKVNC

Post by TKVNC »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 24th, 2024, 13:46
yewtoober made a video on what is 'paytowin' in gaming, includes a throwaway line referencing paying for fast travel in dragon's dogma 2 and got flooded with attacks by butthurt dd2 fans

Sounds like a normal Console game fanbase, since DD2 was clearly a port. They are whales through-and-through, and will not only wolf down the slop they are fed, but also pay for more, and insult people who call their slop, slop.
Falksi

Post by Falksi »

I've been spreading this round social media to stick the knives into some normies and FF fanfags, and it's working a treat....

KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

People were saying this was a shoe-in for Game of the Year, but it's looking a lot less likely now. If it does win, it's because no other developer released anything even remotely of value, which is certainly possible of course. Imagine waiting 12 years for slop like this.
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

KnightoftheWind wrote: March 24th, 2024, 14:50
People were saying this was a shoe-in for Game of the Year, but it's looking a lot less likely now. If it does win, it's because no other developer released anything even remotely of value, which is certainly possible of course. Imagine waiting 12 years for slop like this.
Essentially developing the same game a decade later with no standout improvements. Kind of saddens me. I don't want to play the same game again.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Doesn't even matter if they fix every issue the game has, Avowed is coming :smug:
KnightoftheWind

Breathe wrote: March 24th, 2024, 15:06
Essentially developing the same game a decade later with no standout improvements. Kind of saddens me. I don't want to play the same game again.
It's a game that was (conceivably) made for Dragon's Dogma fans. If they change the formula too much, it would've been seen as alienating to the fans that stuck with Capcom over those 12 years and lobbied for a sequel. They just needed to make pawns better, and have better quests. That's really all a sequel needed to do, in my eyes at least. The quests in the original Dragon's Dogma were MMO-tier and felt like a waste of time, especially when they were spread out across the game world.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

It's a game made for white cuckolds who want to be bossed around by black men in positions of power, defeat evul white men, and shamed by their own pawns for daring to make them female.
Presumably all the MTX is also part of their humiliation fetish, well known "financial dom" sexual kinks.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on March 24th, 2024, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 24th, 2024, 15:34
It's a game made for white cuckolds who want to be bossed around by black men in positions of power, defeat evul white men, and shamed by their own pawns for daring to make them female.
Presumably all the MTX is also part of their humiliation fetish, well known "financial dom" sexual kinks.
I agree with all of this, tbh, my only complaint is that I don't see this same kind of venom for Baldur's Gate 3 or Starfield, which are much worse in these departments. Always found your obsession with Dragon's Dogma a bit weird, it's like you have a personal vendetta against the game since the first one came out.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

aweigh wrote: March 24th, 2024, 15:46
Always found your obsession with Dragon's Dogma a bit weird, it's like you have a personal vendetta against the game since the first one came out.
I just didn't like it, I don't know if I've ever said it's objectively a bad game. Have I?
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

Yeah you said it was bad last time. I'm not even a Dragon's Dogma fan tbh, but I still consider it a sign of something good being attempted (at least the first one). It is very disheartening to see Capcom become so woke. Part of the reason I stopped playing SF6 as well.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

aweigh wrote: March 24th, 2024, 15:48
Yeah you said it was bad last time.
I know I've previously praised DD for having one of the better implementations of what I envisioned fighting larger monsters was like in tabletop. I also liked how dynamic the side-quests felt. But that's about where my praise ends.
It's obviously popular with a lot of people but it just didn't hook me.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

People who've actually played it: Has the monster-climbing improved at all? Climbing on enemies is one of my favorite things to do in viddy games.
TKVNC

Post by TKVNC »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 24th, 2024, 15:51
aweigh wrote: March 24th, 2024, 15:48
Yeah you said it was bad last time.
I know I've previously praised DD for having one of the better implementations of what I envisioned fighting larger monsters was like in tabletop. I also liked how dynamic the side-quests felt. But that's about where my praise ends.
It's obviously popular with a lot of people but it just didn't hook me.
For those who actually played the first one, this is sadly, not surprising. There was significant MTX on the first game too, so that's not new - even if it was offensive then, it's doubly so now.

But the quests were mostly very mediocre, and often had very poor writing, not played DD2, so I can't say about that, in truth the -real- meat of the game was the immersion and world building, wide open vistas, believable setting, and very strong combat for the time.

Dark Arisen fixed a lot of the narrative issues, as it had a clear plan on what it wanted to show - how rage against fate, and unchecked grief can corrupt, but it had perhaps the most diabolical loot system ever devised by any game, in the history of gaming.

For those who don't know - your loot was tied to Ranked Items you got from doing the content, Weapons, Armour, Trinkets (capes and stuff) Levels 1, 2, and 3 - now, you could purify them with currency from killing Daimon, that's fine - and it gave you gear that corresponded to your class base colour, Mystick Knight was Red for example, also, fine - but what people maybe didn't know was that all your potential "purified" loot was on a table that was hardcoded as soon as you launched the game for the first time. This table can NEVER be accessed, and cannot be viewed - so you can NEVER know what order your loot will be in. This means that to get the items you want, you may well have to play the expansion several times before the list goes to that item. It's RNG in a way, but not RNG you can manipulate.

What purpose does this system serve in an offline game? I have actually no idea. But it was fucking stupid.
Nooneatall

Post by Nooneatall »

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 24th, 2024, 15:57
People who've actually played it: Has the monster-climbing improved at all? Climbing on enemies is one of my favorite things to do in viddy games.
It plays almost exactly the same.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Looks like a decent enough game, but...

Problems:
• runs like ass, poorly on even latest high-end hardware.
• dysgenic NPC nogs where they don't belong (in eurofantasy games).
• MMO-like nonrandom enemy mobs along all paths that only exist to fight and have zero environmental interaction (as in they're not there doing stuff, they're just there all the time "waiting" for the player to come by so they can fight).
• stats tied to random equipment. (Why is this mid-game loot scarf more protective than a starter gambeson?)
Last edited by Rand on March 24th, 2024, 16:51, edited 2 times in total.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

MadRussian wrote: March 24th, 2024, 02:55
The diversity problem is not in-game (the first DragDog had niggers-a-plenty), but in Crapcom's offices.
I legitimately don't remember any. Mercedes was yedlike (snrk), but no actual black people.
Mortmal

Post by Mortmal »

It doesn't run too badly here; it's only in the city where you encounter trouble. As for the dysgenic NPCs, yes, it's as you said, Netflix fantasy. Well, it's not Europe; there's no economy, no nations, zero environmental interaction. Indeed, it's a fake realm anyway. However, the exploration is very good; it feels like dungeon crawling. You can't heal that easily; you need to immediately heal after a blow, or it stays until the next rest. Then, it's fun finding classes and trying them, but some are totally overpowered. If you liked DD, you will like it for sure; otherwise, I don't see anything that would change anyone's mind.
Aevann

Post by Aevann »

KnightoftheWind wrote: March 24th, 2024, 15:33
It's a game that was (conceivably) made for Dragon's Dogma fans. If they change the formula too much, it would've been seen as alienating to the fans that stuck with Capcom over those 12 years and lobbied for a sequel. They just needed to make pawns better, and have better quests. That's really all a sequel needed to do, in my eyes at least. The quests in the original Dragon's Dogma were MMO-tier and felt like a waste of time, especially when they were spread out across the game world.
I'm one of those fans. Just wanted a more robust and better developed story, more fleshed out characters, and a different place (didn't want to go back to Cassardis and Grand Soren). The combat was amazing, and the whole trope in general was satisfying. Not even obscenely woke, since Mercedes was inspired by Caska, for what I know, and Mason is just a questgiver whose quest you're not even forced to complete.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

oh my god, these are atrocious. I've not seen microtransactions this bad in even a lot of free games. Shame on anyone who defends this shit and a curse upon those who implemented it.
KnightoftheWind

Nammu Archag wrote: March 24th, 2024, 21:10

oh my god, these are atrocious. I've not seen microtransactions this bad in even a lot of free games. Shame on anyone who defends this shit and a curse upon those who implemented it.
These companies feel they MUST include DLCs and microtransactions to justify developing a game that is this expensive. Even if the performance wasn't a barrier, how many units do you think this game would sell?. I'd wager it would sell at or slightly higher than the original Dragon's Dogma (around 8 Million units), while costing 5x more to produce. Sales do not increase at the same rate that expenses do. This is a big reason why so many franchises have been left behind, or altered to increase mass-appeal. If they didn't, these companies would be losing money and would eventually go bankrupt. I made this point with Tekken I believe, but Tekken 3 sold around 8 million units also, and so did Tekken 7. But the cost to produce a PS1 game was FAR less than it is to develop an equivalent AAA title now.

So unless gamers are willing to accept less graphical fidelity, AAA development has no future. You are going to see worse games that nickel and dime you with DLC, there is no real alternative unless companies feel they can sell enough units to justify the cost.
krokodil
Turtle
Turtle

Post by krokodil »

Falksi wrote: March 24th, 2024, 14:09
I've been spreading this round social media to stick the knives into some normies and FF fanfags, and it's working a treat....

this is a complete lie and juxtaposition though
>DD2 New World and New Areas
it's the same fucking place as DD1 with one new biome added
>DD2 New Story
it's the exact same as the first game

I don't even like FF7 that much and think it's one of the most overrated FF games and JRPGs in general but there's more new shit in FF7 remake (and I assume rebirth considering the first one) than what's new in DD2 because the FF7 remake trilogy is just another set of games in the "compilation of FF7" they are sequels. The FF7 remake trilogy are sequels presenting themselves as a remake while DD2 is a remake presenting themselves as a sequel.

CAPCOM troons coping hard it seems
krokodil
Turtle
Turtle

Post by krokodil »

also most people, especially on PC, played Dark Arisen, which wasn't done by Itsuno. The original first game didn't do very well, it wasn't until Dark Arisen that even on consoles people started to warm up to the game and it became a hit.
KnightoftheWind

I was under the impression the Dark Arisen-version included a new area, and not much besides that. Hardcore players liked Bitterblack Isle for the challenge, but that doesn't have much bearing on the main game.
Aevann

Post by Aevann »

KnightoftheWind wrote: March 24th, 2024, 22:04

These companies feel they MUST include DLCs and microtransactions to justify developing a game that is this expensive. Even if the performance wasn't a barrier, how many units do you think this game would sell?. I'd wager it would sell at or slightly higher than the original Dragon's Dogma (around 8 Million units), while costing 5x more to produce. Sales do not increase at the same rate that expenses do. This is a big reason why so many franchises have been left behind, or altered to increase mass-appeal. If they didn't, these companies would be losing money and would eventually go bankrupt. I made this point with Tekken I believe, but Tekken 3 sold around 8 million units also, and so did Tekken 7. But the cost to produce a PS1 game was FAR less than it is to develop an equivalent AAA title now.

So unless gamers are willing to accept less graphical fidelity, AAA development has no future. You are going to see worse games that nickel and dime you with DLC, there is no real alternative unless companies feel they can sell enough units to justify the cost.
The most organic solution I can think of is rising retail prices. You can't keep charging 60 or 70 dollars for games that cost hundreds of millions to make, and once released, they're at the market's will. Of course this is the most consumer-hostile choice in the short term, but if it avoids the need to include mxs and other bs to cover the cost, I don't se the problem. Inflation is not a myth. If this was to happen, though, I expect the quality to rise accordingly.

There's maybe something important to consider, which is the generations of consumers. People born in the 2000's will not have the same expectations of quality and worth than the ones born in the 80's or 90's.
KnightoftheWind

Aevann wrote: March 24th, 2024, 22:41
KnightoftheWind wrote: March 24th, 2024, 22:04

The most organic solution I can think of is rising retail prices. You can't keep charging 60 or 70 dollars for games that cost hundreds of millions to make, and once released, they're at the market's will. Of course this is the most consumer-hostile choice in the short term, but if it avoids the need to include mxs and other bs to cover the cost, I don't se the problem. Inflation is not a myth. If this was to happen, though, I expect the quality to rise accordingly.

There's maybe something important to consider, which is the generations of consumers. People born in the 2000's will not have the same expectations of quality and worth than the ones born in the 80's or 90's.
Even $60 is a hard sell in the modern age. Partly because Steam and other digital distribution services have degraded the perceived value of video games for the vast majority of people. There are thousands of games available to buy, and sales occur constantly. Why pay $60 now, when you can just wait 3-6 months and buy the same game at half the price?. The ease of piracy has also degraded the perceived value of video games even further, when you can just "stock up" on every game you want to play, why bother paying for anything at all?. Companies are not only competing with other companies, but they are competing with a lot of indies/AA developers and even 'themselves'. Via emulation, you can play the entire backlog of Capcom's games, which tend to exceed the quality of their recent output in many ways. It's harder than ever to stand out in the gaming space, despite the social media age. Which is why Capcom wants to push microtransactions as hard as possible during the initial launch, when the bulk of it's customers are playing the game. If they sneak in DLCs later, the hype train would have already moved on and Dragon's Dogma 2 would be irrelevant.

It's an industry wide problem, and why gaming's future is bleak. I can't see the current order sustaining itself, even without the interference of leftism in the West.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

@KnightoftheWind you're skipping over the fact that the gaming audience has grown massively. Tekken 7 failing to sell more copies than Tekken 3 is a failure on the marketing and/or developers.
The price of games should have gone down, not up. The potential audience for a game like DD2 is magnitudes greater than the first game let alone what it was for games in the 90s. 1 million copies was enough to put you in competition for best-selling game of the year in 2000. Now you'd need to sell 15+ million to even be close to being in the running.

BG2 sold about 500k copies a year after release, BG3 has already passed 15 million:
https://web.archive.org/web/20021207211 ... nfo/about/
In June 2001 Baldur’s Gate II: Throne of Bhaal was released, the expansion pack to the award winning Shadows of Amn, and the conclusion to the Baldur’s Gate series, selling around 500,000 units
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on March 24th, 2024, 22:56, edited 2 times in total.