We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

The Dragon's Dogma 2 Thread

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

Rand wrote: March 30th, 2024, 01:54
rusty_shackleford wrote: March 29th, 2024, 17:38
The only "diverse" character I remember is Mercedes, who is based on that chick from Berserk afaik
She's also not black.
Close enough. She annoys me being in the game because of her ethnic dissimilarity to the inhabitants AND because she's a ridiculous small woman in a man's warrior role.
? Mercedes and Mason are from Hearthstone, which is apparently a kingdom full of browns and blacks. Also her story arc is about how she's a less-than-competent woman who was intentionally given a do-nothing role for show.
Grende Hearthstone used to lead a company of knights. Of his two sons and his daughter, Mercedes ; the brothers also led their own companies of knights. But Grende’s hopes for his daughter ran more towards wedding her to an influential noble or a royal from a neighboring demesne to firm up the power base of the House of Marten. But once she reached marrying age, Mercedes instead asked for her own company of knights. Aware of her own inexperience and that lack of skills required to lead others, she trained until she was reasonably able as a knight. It was around this time that the dragon appeared in Gransys. If someone from Grende’s nation defeated the dragon, it would greatly increase the power of Hearthstone. Grende was not reckless enough to send either of his brave and strong sons. However, he had to send someone of suitable position — someone as closely related to him as possible — or Gransys might take offense. For the first time in years, Grende called Mercedes forth to speak with her.

He hardly wanted his sons to head to the front lines of the battle with the dragon, for to face a dragon was certain death. Mercedes, however, was of suitable position to be Hearthstone’s representative. In addition, the people of Gransys would surely never allow a woman to stand on the front lines. Unaware of this, Mercedes was happy to receive the orders from her father and set off for Gransys thinking that he had finally given her his approval, not understanding his true reasons...
In her last quest she's humiliated in battle (you can interfere and win it which only compounds the humiliation) and heads back home (and kidnapped by the dragon if she's your beloved). She's a very anti-feminist character.
pokafox

Post by pokafox »

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 30th, 2024, 20:55
Is the water still full of leeches?
Yup ! Respawns you on the shore but kills ennemies and pawns.
Roguey wrote: March 30th, 2024, 21:06
In her last quest she's humiliated in battle (you can interfere and win it which only compounds the humiliation) and heads back home (and kidnapped by the dragon if she's your beloved). She's a very anti-feminist character.
Yeah. The guy who defeats him, Julien, is the one from the kinda "French" kingdom, Voldoa. He even calls her a "she-goat". Mercedes does sound like she has a French accent as well though but Mason doesn't. Probably just English dub inconsistencies but the localization was really great overall.

On voice overs and translations, I would say while it's good it's not as good and memorable as DD1 AFAIC, for now at least. It's at least in tone though, as in you don't feel like you're listening to 21st century New Yorkers as in most games nowadays.
Last edited by pokafox on March 31st, 2024, 07:50, edited 6 times in total.
Efyr

Post by Efyr »

I will love to see a mod that change some NPCs skin color. Every time I see a black person in a medieval fantasy game remind me to this movie :
pokafox

Post by pokafox »

Upgraded the 2060 with a 4060 and replaced the 1070 with the 2060. Getting much better performance while upping visuals. Still around the 30s in the Capital though.

Met 2 more good guys black characters that seem relevant to the plot. They don't feel stereotypical, speak in the same "old timey" manner as everyone else and don't particularly stand out in any way but I will say it does feel like there was at least some "have positive black characters" DEI agreements there.

Pretty much been having a blast exploring the open world and fighting epic battles. The open world is super detailed and intricate with lots of secrets and incentive to travel and manage ressources, and the combat is just stellar. The mix of both creates something pretty unique to that series. Think Monster Hunter x High Fantasy Open World.

Last edited by pokafox on April 5th, 2024, 11:50, edited 2 times in total.
Rand

Post by Rand »

pokafox wrote: April 5th, 2024, 11:47
Upgraded the 2060 with a 4060 and replaced the 1070 with the 2060. Getting much better performance while upping visuals. Still around the 30s in the Capital though.
Game is proven to be severely CPU bound for most things.
Can't say why. Maybe bad stack/thread handling.
Needs a refactor to fix.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Efyr wrote: March 31st, 2024, 15:23
I will love to see a mod that change some NPCs skin color. Every time I see a black person in a medieval fantasy game remind me to this movie :
If they all looked and talked like that, I wouldn't mind as much.
pokafox

Post by pokafox »

Rand wrote: April 5th, 2024, 13:49
Needs a refactor to fix.
Yeah my oldass i5-6600 is what should be highest upgrade priority. Unfortunately that's pretty much all my mobo can take and if I'm gonna change that too might as well rebuild a whole rig. 4060 was second hand should serve me long enough until I finally can afford to decide to go for it.
ERYFKRAD

Post by ERYFKRAD »

Warrior is a lot faster this time around if you go about timing the hits. Having fun dudes. Accidentally the oxcart and everything.
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

Family share works, if you don't want to pay for this. There's a new steam family share beta that's a little better than the previous system.
pokafox

Post by pokafox »

ERYFKRAD wrote: April 6th, 2024, 01:36
Warrior is a lot faster this time around if you go about timing the hits. Having fun dudes. Accidentally the oxcart and everything.
Warrior is so damn fun in this one. Not digging Archer as much as in the first one though.

The timed Parry they added to Fighter is great too. This and the Skewing grapple that used to be Thief in 1 will probs make me default to Fighter again in the long run. Sword and Board !
Statesman

Post by Statesman »

Rand wrote: April 5th, 2024, 13:49
Needs a refactor to fix.
7800x3d chads rise up!

Honestly though, I'd wait for the rumored DLC at the very least to bother with the game. By the time I go through my backlog, Dragon's Dogma 2: Definite Edition will probably be out.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

They keep updating the game with patches, but they don't really disclose what these patches actually do. But, as far as I can tell, they have not fixed the frame-rate issues, so...

pokafox

Post by pokafox »

No noticeable change in performance here.

Gained around 10-15 a few days ago by finally realizing I could enable DLSS on the new 4060, though. Not as much in the Capital. It's 100% the NPCs.

Same issues on PS5 apparently so while Denuvo probs make it a tad worse it doesn't seem to be the main culprit.

It's a shame really. No way they didn't know about it. The funny thing is that the game feels otherwise really light. Loadings are fast esp. compared to BG3 that took several minutes here, and there are no loadings whatsoever ingame unless you ferrystone.
Last edited by pokafox on April 9th, 2024, 08:58, edited 1 time in total.
Rand

Post by Rand »

pokafox wrote: April 9th, 2024, 08:55
while Denuvo probs make it a tad worse it doesn't seem to be the main culprit.
Depends on the exact implementation of it.
But...
Any implementation of Denuvo uses serious (to massive) processor and memory/bus resources to decrypt files on the fly and contact the Denuvo server for checks and authorizations many times per second.
If your game is already struggling with CPU load, that's gonna be a significant issue.
Last edited by Rand on April 9th, 2024, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.
pokafox

Post by pokafox »

Rand wrote: April 9th, 2024, 13:26
Depends on the exact implementation of it
But...
Denuvo uses massive processor and memory resources to decrypt on the fly and contact the Denuvo server for checks and authorizations.
If your game is already struggling with CPU load, that's gonna be a significant issue.
Man, looked into it a bit and didn't think it was that bad ...

Guess the PS5 is even weaker than I thought as well.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

Kinda funny to hear Yahtzee bitching about the same things as everyone else. I would've thought he had more insight.

pokafox

Post by pokafox »

boohoo just one save slot
boohoo no fast travel
boohoo why did selecting "reload last save at inn" reloaded me at my last save at inn
boohoo fights are too easy
boohoo max health decreases when taking damage/dying and i can't save scum fights

like ffs game has flaws but it's like people bitch all the time about Ubisoft's bland open worlds but just want exactly that in the end
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

pokafox wrote: April 6th, 2024, 08:39
ERYFKRAD wrote: April 6th, 2024, 01:36
Warrior is so damn fun in this one. Not digging Archer as much as in the first one though.

The timed Parry they added to Fighter is great too. This and the Skewing grapple that used to be Thief in 1 will probs make me default to Fighter again in the long run. Sword and Board !
Played this a bit through family share. Warrior is the only class they truly improved IMO, many of the others are just straight downgrades of DD1 classes, and a few feel about the same. I still prefer Warrior to Wayfarer just due to stats, I got more STR, HP, Def, knockdown resist as Warrior. Warrior can shrug off blows from trash, and parry them, or tackle through attacks. Against big mobs, they can topple them and snipe weak points. Warrior is a better "get everything's attention" class than Fighter just due to the considerably higher knockdown resist stat, and they got more tools to shrug off attacks. Offensively, Warrior is superior to Fighter as well.
Last edited by somerandomdude on April 11th, 2024, 08:37, edited 1 time in total.
Manny V

Post by Manny V »

pokafox wrote: April 11th, 2024, 07:01
boohoo just one save slot
boohoo no fast travel
boohoo why did selecting "reload last save at inn" reloaded me at my last save at inn
boohoo fights are too easy
boohoo max health decreases when taking damage/dying and i can't save scum fights

like ffs game has flaws but it's like people bitch all the time about Ubisoft's bland open worlds but just want exactly that in the end
the one save slot is pretty egregious but ye the rest of his complaints were just butthurt
Nooneatall

Post by Nooneatall »

If I can just play the original game and it has the same flaws but has dark arisen which fixes some of them, why would I buy a 70 dollar game with mtx and really shitty performance?
Why are you defending a shitty game? Do you get paid to defend this game? Go look in the mirror, touch grass. It's okay to admit the game is shit but you still like it because it looks slightly better than the original. It's okay to admit you like being bossed around by a medieval black man.
pokafox

Post by pokafox »

Nooneatall wrote: April 11th, 2024, 12:18
If I can just play the original game and it has the same flaws but has dark arisen which fixes some of them, why would I buy a 70 dollar game with mtx and really shitty performance?
Why are you defending a shitty game? Do you get paid to defend this game? Go look in the mirror, touch grass. It's okay to admit the game is shit but you still like it because it looks slightly better than the original. It's okay to admit you like being bossed around by a medieval black man.
I aint telling you what to do man. You do whatever the fuck you want indeed. On the mirror and grass you're the one sounding like a retard yelling at his screen rn tho.
Nooneatall

Post by Nooneatall »

pokafox wrote: April 11th, 2024, 14:04
Nooneatall wrote: April 11th, 2024, 12:18
I aint telling you what to do man. You do whatever the fuck you want indeed. On the mirror and grass you're the one sounding like a retard yelling at his screen rn tho.
I am a fat, disgusting, retarded, and unemployed studio apartment dweller but at least I don't suck game company cock