We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Various video game stuff not deserving its own thread

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

Segata Sanshiro wrote: July 20th, 2023, 17:15
"Millennial writing"

It's Josh Whedon writing.
His writing appealed to girls. Fags too I guess.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

maidenhaver wrote: July 20th, 2023, 19:30
"Millennial writing"

Nobody can even agree what a millennial is, but they've been to blame for every latest bad thing since the financial crisis.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

Behind a cheat code I never knew about.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

KnightoftheWind wrote: July 20th, 2023, 23:50
maidenhaver wrote: July 20th, 2023, 19:30
"Millennial writing"

Nobody can even agree what a millennial is, but they've been to blame for every latest bad thing since the financial crisis.
What's he think is special about millennial writing?
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

Doesn't look too bad. Shitty video since they likely are not done yet.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

"alright bob so we need to make some akkadian characters"
"akkad... huh? ...Sounds african."
► Show Spoiler
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Farming sims are the only poz-free games left, because browns get ptsd when they see manual labor. It takes them back to the days they sang spirituals and picked cotton.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

There's a coal burner couple in Stardew Valley, but there's also a mod to fix that.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

This guy has created a mod for using real dice rolls in games. So far, I know he's made it available for Solasta, but I've seen him in some forums for other games working on making it available for those as well.

KnightoftheWind

I think JRPGs are archaic. For a genre that purpotedly has such a big story focus, I feel a more linear and action-oriented game design would suit it a lot better than turn-based battles and static text boxes. Having never played a Final Fantasy but admiring it's visual direction, it would have been better if the developers took more inspiration from games like Half-Life and Half-Life 2. Give me a setting, with plot and characters, but tell it through gameplay, and give me a window into that world without filling it with superfluous crap that adds little to my enjoyment. Forcing me to meander through town after town and sit through movie-length cinematics is not exactly good storytelling nor does it take advantage of the video game medium.

Story-heavy genres like film and books do a far better job at telling a story because it doesn't meander the way JRPGs do.
KnightoftheWind

GhostCow wrote: August 5th, 2023, 21:46
KnightoftheWind wrote: August 5th, 2023, 21:34
Having never played a Final Fantasy but admiring it's visual direction
Opinion discarded
I suppose I should have said, "never played a Final Fantasy for very long". I start them, but usually get bored after a while.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

KnightoftheWind wrote: August 5th, 2023, 22:27
KnightoftheWind wrote: August 5th, 2023, 21:34
Having never played a Final Fantasy but admiring it's visual direction
Opinion discarded
I suppose I should have said, "never played a Final Fantasy for very long". I start them, but usually get bored after a while.
That doesn't make it any better
KnightoftheWind

GhostCow wrote: August 5th, 2023, 22:28
KnightoftheWind wrote: August 5th, 2023, 22:27

Opinion discarded
That doesn't make it any better
But the reason for that is because the gameplay is archaic. It doesn't hold my attention whatsoever, and It's not timeless the same way a Mario game is or Doom is. JRPGs have gotten better over time, yet still they cling to these old concepts of static text boxes, towns, turn-based combat, etc. Even when they attempt to eschew these ideas, you get Final Fantasy XIII which looks boring as hell.

You can have a satisfying story while also having good gameplay with a good pace. JRPG developers still think it's 1987 and they're still making games for the NES or MSX.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

KnightoftheWind wrote: August 5th, 2023, 22:42
But the reason for that is because the gameplay is archaic. It doesn't hold my attention whatsoever, and It's not timeless the same way a Mario game is or Doom is. JRPGs have gotten better over time, yet still they cling to these old concepts of static text boxes, towns, turn-based combat, etc. Even when they attempt to eschew these ideas, you get Final Fantasy XIII which looks boring as hell.

You can have a satisfying story while also having good gameplay with a good pace. JRPG developers still think it's 1987 and they're still making games for the NES or MSX.
There's nothing intrinsically wrong with text boxes, towns, and turn-based combat. The central problem with JRPGs is that they tend to be baby-mode difficulty with zero tension (respawning monsters on which one may infinitely grind, no time limit) and total linearity.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Acrux wrote: August 3rd, 2023, 03:48
This guy has created a mod for using real dice rolls in games. So far, I know he's made it available for Solasta, but I've seen him in some forums for other games working on making it available for those as well.

Just made hanging out with creeps obsolete.
KnightoftheWind

maidenhaver wrote: August 6th, 2023, 03:49
KnightoftheWind wrote: August 6th, 2023, 03:48
maidenhaver wrote: August 6th, 2023, 03:42
Atomic Heart is 87gb.
Every game nowadays is reaching 90gb+.
I can't accept these terms.
Then classics and indies are ripe for the taking. You can download the entire SNES library in just a few gigs, and just that alone would provide enough entertainment for years to come. There is a reason these companies aren't interested in "game preservation", because they know they can't compete. Even with themselves.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I'm already using my upgraded steam deck for emulating. It has served me well, already.

btw its inexcusable using philips heads for the tiny ass screws on the back of the steam deck. I've stripped every one of them, because they use that shit instead of proper star or hex heads. Philips on tiny screws is retarded and I'm going to strangle Gabe for this decision.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

maidenhaver wrote: August 6th, 2023, 03:54
Philips on screws is retarded
Ftfy

Also, write a complaint. People rarely ever submit formal complaints for this sort of shit so nothing gets done.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Guys a 1tb SSD is like $40 now. Whining about file sizes is the dumbest shit and I don't know why so many people keep complaining about it.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

This is the proper way to manage storage: Have a main drive to hold your apps/os/games and a second drive for all your files. Uninstall games you have already beaten when you need more space. If you have a huge video collection, get a NAS too. I'm poor and I can still afford plenty of storage. This is how my setup looks:

I have plenty of games I could uninstall if I needed more free space than what I have now.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

GhostCow wrote: August 6th, 2023, 13:58
Guys a 1tb SSD is like $40 now. Whining about file sizes is the dumbest shit and I don't know why so many people keep complaining about it.
Slippery slope.