We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Various video game stuff not deserving its own thread

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

Idea for a single-purpose website: a database of games that list whether you need an online account to play, or whether you always need an internet connection.
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

I stumbled upon this earlier today. Some of you may enjoy an extensive list of randomizers for games.

https://www.debigare.com/randomizers/
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

I once played a game, can't remember if it was FFXIV or The Sims 4, where you could tick a box next to each character creation option and then choose to only display the items you have checked off. It was the greatest thing I've ever seen in a character creation system and it's such a simple little thing. Every game without it is trash, making me scroll back and forth to compare two hair style or whatever.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 1st, 2024, 22:38
I once played a game, can't remember if it was FFXIV or The Sims 4, where you could tick a box next to each character creation option and then choose to only display the items you have checked off. It was the greatest thing I've ever seen in a character creation system and it's such a simple little thing. Every game without it is trash, making me scroll back and forth to compare two hair style or whatever.
FF14 has that, dunno about the Sims.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

I like that eating food meant for other species in Mass Effect just fucking kills you. Neat detail they didn't have to bother with.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 14:10
I like that eating food meant for other species in Mass Effect just fucking kills you. Neat detail they didn't have to bother with.
They also screw over weirdos by making most of their genitals kill you too.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Starbound originally had this, but they got rid of it in the alpha/beta/fucking whatever they called it.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Tweed wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 14:38
Starbound originally had this, but they got rid of it in the alpha/beta/fucking whatever they called it.
Every time I've tried to go back and try Starbound again its turned into a totally different game since I last played.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Vergil wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 15:11
Every time I've tried to go back and try Starbound again its turned into a totally different game since I last played.
and each time it still sucks
Hauberk

Post by Hauberk »

I wonder if the game would have been the success it was if it was more like this picture.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

most of the best games I've played barely explain anything and when they do, the explanations have typos
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Has anyone here had any extensive experience with Star Wars Galaxies?
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate is the only game that has successfully, if unintentionally, made me feel weird about killing NPCs. The game is set in London in the late 1800s and the protagonists are canonically just absolutely fucking butchering rival gangs that consist of 50% women.
Like, this wasn't that long ago. People's grandmothers's grandmothers are being shredded by my guy executing flawless 20-hit knife assault animations and it's never addressed.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Vergil wrote: March 4th, 2024, 17:36
I played SWG legends, it's pretty good.
DagothGeas5

Post by DagothGeas5 »

One of the first games online I played besides a private server for World of Warcraft was this game called Secondhand Lands
https://store .steampowered.com/app/675230 /Secondhand_Lands/ (need to remove the spaces because it does not load otherwise)
I knew nothing of English or what I was supposed to do, but it seemed fun to roam about and explore, though my ability with mouse and keyboard, plus massive language barrier, made me feel confused and lost most of the time. I came back to it to see if it still worked some time ago and added it to my Steam library, today I go to check on it out of nostalgia, and it says it is no longer available on Steam, yet their site and the download I used in the past seems to be working https://bobbythurman.itch.io/secondhand-lands
Does anyone know of a way to be sure if this game truly is gone for good, or if it's simply delisted from the Steam store without downloading the file from their site? It's not that I don't trust them, but I have learned to be careful with these things, and have no idea what to look for to protect myself.
Oyster Sauce wrote: March 1st, 2024, 22:38
Been a while since I played, but The Sims 4 has that option you speak of as well. It was a box on the left of the CAS page thing for items and hair, and there was also an option for the randomize sim button (randomize All or you could select/de-select what you did not wish randomized)
Last edited by DagothGeas5 on March 4th, 2024, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 4th, 2024, 18:43
Vergil wrote: March 4th, 2024, 17:36
I played SWG legends, it's pretty good.
Have you played the emulated version before?
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Updates to the game are long, long dead. The only thing that keeps it breathing is Frackin' Universe and the gaggle of repulsive fetish mods.

But Starbound could never decide what it wanted to be. At first it was just Terraria in space and had the working title Space Terry, but as it went on it became "Whatever Tiy though looked cool that week from some other game."
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

INSOMNIA: The Ark would be a decent game right now if it was made in unity instead of UE4. The issues left could have been fixed by fans. :/
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Tweed wrote: March 4th, 2024, 23:40

Updates to the game are long, long dead. The only thing that keeps it breathing is Frackin' Universe and the gaggle of repulsive fetish mods.

But Starbound could never decide what it wanted to be. At first it was just Terraria in space and had the working title Space Terry, but as it went on it became "Whatever Tiy though looked cool that week from some other game."
Didn't one of the devs have a shit fetish and add poop golems into the game?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Vergil wrote: March 5th, 2024, 07:34

Sounds like something a furry would do.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Vergil wrote: March 5th, 2024, 07:34

There were shit monsters, but I dunno if it was fetish related.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Jesus looking at a guide of content that's come out for SWTOR since I last played that game really is fucking deader than dirt. They really shouldn't have blown their load of TWO expansions about awful OC autism that no one liked.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Vergil wrote: March 5th, 2024, 13:13
Jesus looking at a guide of content that's come out for SWTOR since I last played that game really is fucking deader than dirt. They really shouldn't have blown their load of TWO expansions about awful OC autism that no one liked.
I liked them.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Low int dialogue is soulful, but also a complete waste of time/money because nobody actually plays retard characters, they just laugh at screenshots and demand every game add them so they can laugh at more screenshots
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 6th, 2024, 12:04
Low int dialogue is soulful, but also a complete waste of time/money because nobody actually plays retard characters, they just laugh at screenshots and demand every game add them so they can laugh at more screenshots
This is another example of people uptalking "player choice and freedom" because it makes them sound cool but if you look at the data most people play extremely similarly and optimal paths you will never deviate from will form. It's like how you have the "choice and freedom" to play New Vegas with all your limbs crippled or wearing a blindfold irl.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Vergil wrote: March 6th, 2024, 13:16
This is another example of people uptalking "player choice and freedom" because it makes them sound cool but if you look at the data most people play extremely similarly and optimal paths you will never deviate from will form. It's like how you have the "choice and freedom" to play New Vegas with all your limbs crippled or wearing a blindfold irl.
>he didn't do the real permanent self-crippling challenge run
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 7th, 2024, 03:04
highly reactive gameplay is far more enjoyable than "player choice and freedom"
What are some examples of highly reactive gameplay?