We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Various video game stuff not deserving its own thread

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Breathe wrote: March 7th, 2024, 04:47
rusty_shackleford wrote: March 7th, 2024, 03:04
highly reactive gameplay is far more enjoyable than "player choice and freedom"
What are some examples of highly reactive gameplay?
viewtopic.php?p=53405-the-devteam-think ... TOE#p53405

BG3 is an obvious recent example, but it falls apart(much like the game) in act 3. Highly reactive tho.
I'd say "player choice and freedom" is nothing without actual reactivity to it.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on March 7th, 2024, 05:01, edited 1 time in total.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

rusty probably won't like this response, but Icewind Dale 2 is very reactive to race, class, and skills. Now, a lot of times this might be a flavor text difference, but there are several times quests can be completed differently. Like a drow, svirfneblin, etc. can understand goblin speech for one quest. Or carrying around one particular item found really early on can allow the player to skip a late game battle. There are even some apparently recently discovered things like grey dwarf fighters of a certain level or higher can get a +3 weapon a little early. Or the golems that can be charged with lightening late game to fight for you.

Of course, most of this is in the early game because of the rushed development the game had.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

There's a quest in EQ2 that's kind of a pain where you have to learn to speak Kobold to complete it, but if you're a Ratonga it turns out that you speak a dialect of the same language as Kobolds and can pick the language up easily. That quest always stuck with me and its been years, perfect example of reactivity and intriguing world-building in a small side quest.
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

I'm really starting to hate gamers. Maybe it's because multiplayer games force me to interact with people I wouldn't otherwise even think about. I used to think "people suck but atleast gamers are people with imagination and are cool", but now I think even most gamers are not worth the air they breathe. Maybe the propaganda that makes me not even touch a game, is actually effective in turning these potato brains into mashed brains.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Boontaker wrote: March 7th, 2024, 06:31
I'm really starting to hate gamers. Maybe it's because multiplayer games force me to interact with people I wouldn't otherwise even think about. I used to think "people suck but atleast gamers are people with imagination and are cool", but now I think even most gamers are not worth the air they breathe. Maybe the propaganda that makes me not even touch a game, is actually effective in turning these potato brains into mashed brains.
Try playing multiplayer games that encourage teambuilding, like Deep Rock Galactic or the recent Helldivers 2.
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 7th, 2024, 06:31
Try playing multiplayer games that encourage teambuilding, like Deep Rock Galactic or the recent Helldivers 2.
HD2 got too much hype, it's going to be filled with filth for a few months. I'm glad the devs are not buffing anything though, hopefully the shitters will quit
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Boontaker wrote: March 7th, 2024, 06:35
rusty_shackleford wrote: March 7th, 2024, 06:31
HD2 got too much hype, it's going to be filled with filth for a few months. I'm glad the devs are not buffing anything though, hopefully the shitters will quit
I only played it for a bit but everyone seemed quite friendly.
OnTilt

Post by OnTilt »

I just realized that the Tactician mode I've been playing BG3 on had the "honor" mod running. I was looking forward to a higher difficulty and now realize there isn't one. This game is too easy.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

OnTilt wrote: March 7th, 2024, 09:14
I just realized that the Tactician mode I've been playing BG3 on had the "honor" mod running. I was looking forward to a higher difficulty and now realize there isn't one. This game is too easy.
Difficulty of BG3 is far, far below tactician DOS1/2
OnTilt

Post by OnTilt »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 7th, 2024, 09:15
I was going play those next anyway. Is DOS1 worth it or should I jump straight to DOS2?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

OnTilt wrote: March 7th, 2024, 09:17
rusty_shackleford wrote: March 7th, 2024, 09:15
I was going play those next anyway. Is DOS1 worth it or should I jump straight to DOS2?
I liked DOS1 more because it has a fairy tale story, both are worth playing.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Breathe wrote: March 7th, 2024, 04:47
rusty_shackleford wrote: March 7th, 2024, 03:04
highly reactive gameplay is far more enjoyable than "player choice and freedom"
What are some examples of highly reactive gameplay?
An enemy with a sword picking up a chair and whipping it at me because I'm out of his reach
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

We've gotta shoot everyone who says "I'm 57 years old, I have 6 toddlers and I can only play for 17 minutes on the weekend between my 2 jobs, this is how you should change the game to cater to me:"
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Everspace 2 seems gud, added it to my backlog after playing it for a bit.
First game was a roguelite or something, second one is a full-fledged RPG that continues the story of the first one but I don't think you need to know it as I don't and they explained everything.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

"Perfect example of how sincerity has been destroyed by self referential quirky bullshit. This is directly downstream of the marvel movies and it has infected every form of media."
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

lol this is actually incredibly sad. Women are living their lives with the highest levels of cognitive dissonance. Everything they want inside they shun outwardly. If they weren't coddled so much they'd surely fall back into their biological roles.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

I only really like endings where there's promise of further adventures. Don't tell me my guy spent 2 weeks out of his entire life on a quest and then retired happily ever after, that's boring.
BG3's epilogue is the first time I've been happy with the end of a game in a long time and now I have to replay it because I heard they updated it AGAIN and allow you join the Gith rebels as a non-Githyanki.
Red7

Post by Red7 »

Breathe wrote: March 8th, 2024, 18:04
lol this is actually incredibly sad. Women are living their lives with the highest levels of cognitive dissonance. Everything they want inside they shun outwardly. If they weren't coddled so much they'd surely fall back into their biological roles.
i think my eyeballs will suffer cognitive reduction after i saw that shit. they tried to protect the brain but its to late now
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

Vergil wrote: March 7th, 2024, 22:19

"Perfect example of how sincerity has been destroyed by self referential quirky bullshit. This is directly downstream of the marvel movies and it has infected every form of media."
The ad with the models was also fantastic too.

Breathe

Post by Breathe »

The optimal gamer is skinny, which limits his chance of "fat-fingering" keys.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 8th, 2024, 18:15
I only really like endings where there's promise of further adventures. Don't tell me my guy spent 2 weeks out of his entire life on a quest and then retired happily ever after, that's boring.
BG3's epilogue is the first time I've been happy with the end of a game in a long time and now I have to replay it because I heard they updated it AGAIN and allow you join the Gith rebels as a non-Githyanki.
I like endings where the heroes save the world, but everything is still worse off because of all the destruction.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

I like endings where my character does something evil and it ends with him sitting on a big scary looking throne.
Element

Post by Element »

Vergil wrote: March 11th, 2024, 12:56
I like endings where my character does something evil and it ends with him sitting on a big scary looking throne.

ot: the vault is really cool. Looks better and is not a pain to use like imgur or imgbox.
Last edited by Element on March 11th, 2024, 14:06, edited 1 time in total.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

► Geneforge 1 spoilers
Last edited by WhiteShark on March 11th, 2024, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.
Havitner

Post by Havitner »

WhiteShark wrote: March 11th, 2024, 15:20
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Val the Moofia Boss wrote: March 8th, 2024, 22:10
Vergil wrote: March 7th, 2024, 22:19

The ad with the models was also fantastic too.

This is better propaganda than 99% of actual propaganda. Remember Reach :salute:
Last edited by Nammu Archag on March 12th, 2024, 03:21, edited 1 time in total.