We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

The definitive, authoritative, and probably non-exhaustive list of non-(IBM) PC cRPGs

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

The definitive, authoritative, and probably non-exhaustive list of non-(IBM) PC cRPGs

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Rules for The List:
  1. No cRPGs that have released for PC.
  2. cRPGs exclusive to consoles will be listed under the appropriate console platform.
  3. cRPGs available but not exclusive to consoles but not available on PC will be listed under the appropriate non-console platforms.
  4. Acceptable platforms: No PC. Platform must have been released by 1995 or earlier.
  5. The release year of the game does not matter. There are still games being made for these platforms in the style of the older games.
  6. Being available on multiple platforms is fine, as long as it doesn't break rule #1.
  7. A title being emulated on a platform does not count as a release for that platform.
  8. It must be a cRPG.
Games marked with '*' are games with a shiny HQ seal of approval(read: if you think a game is good, please say so and I'll mark it as such.)
Games marked with '#' are games your curator thought looked interesting and/or good and probably worth your time.

Some games have links accompanying them, categorized as such:
CA = CRPG Addict
DC = dungeoncrawlers.org
► Amiga
► Antstream
► Amstrad CPC
► Apple II
► Apple IIGS
► Atari 8-bit
► Atari ST
► BBC Micro
► Commodore 64
► Commodore 128
► Commodore PET
► CP/M
► Dragon 32/64
► Macintosh
► TI-99
► TRS-80
► VIC 20
► ZX Spectrum
Please refer to rule #2 & #3 before suggesting a title for the following platforms:
► 3DO
► Sega Genesis
► SEGA CD
► Sega Saturn
► Turbografx
► NES
► SNES
► Gameboy
► EXCLUDED games

If you want to add something specific about a game, just post it and I'll link to your post next to the game's title.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on April 11th, 2024, 19:48, edited 2 times in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

I may one day move this to a HQ-hosted wiki, but for now I'll be maintaining it here. I think this is probably 95% or so complete. I suspect I'm missing quite a few non-English titles.
Ratcatcher
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ratcatcher »

I'd like to add a few Genesis titles:

-Phantasy stars: chapter II and III are genesis titles, the first entry is exclusively a Master System title, altho you could probably wrap it into the Genesis stuff because of retrocompatibility. I personally don't know any other MS RPGs.
-Shining force I & II. Sequels to shining in the Darkness but different enough to warrant their own entry imho. SitD is a blobber RPG with random encounters whilethe sequels are tacticool RPGs.
-Sword of Vermillion: full fledged RPG that plays as a mix of genres, first person exploration, random encounters in which you fight using a rudimentary action system using a top down view and a fighting game style view when fighting the numerous bosses (Archmonsters)

I never personally played them but I know the Ys serie wich spanned numerous consoles.
There's also Hydlide, another serie spanning numerous consoles I know little about, mainly famous as a NES/SNES title.
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

"Chaos Strikes Back (1989) CA (Sequel to Dungeon Master)"

So Dungeon Master deserves its own entry (not merely as a mention in CSB entry) both in Atari ST and Amiga and a nice green * because it is excellent fun and one of the best cRPGs of the 80s.

It is better than its sequel, but only because the sequel is so unforgiving :Inspector:
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Atlantico wrote: September 25th, 2023, 10:38
"Chaos Strikes Back (1989) CA (Sequel to Dungeon Master)"

So Dungeon Master deserves its own entry (not merely as a mention in CSB entry) both in Atari ST and Amiga and a nice green * because it is excellent fun and one of the best cRPGs of the 80s.

It is better than its sequel, but only because the sequel is so unforgiving :Inspector:
Dungeon Master released on PC, it appears CSB did not.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Ratcatcher wrote: September 20th, 2023, 17:02
I'd like to add a few Genesis titles:

-Phantasy stars: chapter II and III are genesis titles, the first entry is exclusively a Master System title, altho you could probably wrap it into the Genesis stuff because of retrocompatibility. I personally don't know any other MS RPGs.
-Shining force I & II. Sequels to shining in the Darkness but different enough to warrant their own entry imho. SitD is a blobber RPG with random encounters whilethe sequels are tacticool RPGs.
-Sword of Vermillion: full fledged RPG that plays as a mix of genres, first person exploration, random encounters in which you fight using a rudimentary action system using a top down view and a fighting game style view when fighting the numerous bosses (Archmonsters)

I never personally played them but I know the Ys serie wich spanned numerous consoles.
There's also Hydlide, another serie spanning numerous consoles I know little about, mainly famous as a NES/SNES title.
I excluded Japanese games because I don't speak the language(many of them are untranslated), I don't have a clue on how to emulate any of their various home consoles, and the list was primarily for western CRPGs.
Western CRPGs for consoles were included as exceptions.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

I wonder how many games there would be for a similar 1996 to present excluding Windows/Desktop PC list.