We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

My head needs phones. Headphones.

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

My head needs phones. Headphones.

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Do you know anything about them? Is there a trustworthy review source? :scratch:
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

IEMs are much better sound quality for the price. I use the KZ ZEX Pros.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

What are you trying to use them for?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Dead wrote: May 7th, 2023, 04:42
Transmit sound from my computer to my brain.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 7th, 2023, 04:51
Dead wrote: May 7th, 2023, 04:42
Transmit sound from my computer to my brain.
I've been using Shure SRH840 for various purposes for about ten years. It's still working without any problem. There are forums like head-fi.org where you can find many reviews, but most audiophile forums tend to be more interested in mystifying audio equipment rather than practical analysis.
Klerik

Post by Klerik »

I used both turtle beach "haha turtle" and logitech headset but im using cheap 20 dollar sony headphones right now because they broke. I am not getting a fucking headset again because the sound quality sucks and I don't care to be an awesome GAYMER with the leet gaming gear.

So I'm probably going to just save some cash and get some studio monitors and use a clip on mic.
BosanskiSeljak

Post by BosanskiSeljak »

Audio Technica M50x were by far the best ones I had, and were amazing for music too until I broke them cause of fifa. They also don't look like cringe pro gaymer shit
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 7th, 2023, 02:48
Do you know anything about them? Is there a trustworthy review source? :scratch:
Here's what I know about headphones.

Primary concern is that they are comfortable to wear; I don't care how awesome they sound, if they are not comfortable to wear they're useless.

Secondary concern is everything else, like sound, looks and all the rest — in reality most headphones sound just fine — but if you go for wired headphones then make sure the wire is long enough for your application.

Don't spend more than $150 on your headphones and don't buy Chinese ones. Also avoid Sony.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Atlantico wrote: May 7th, 2023, 15:32
Here's what I know about headphones.

Primary concern is that they are comfortable to wear; I don't care how awesome they sound, if they are not comfortable to wear they're useless.
This is why I switched to IEMs once I had to start wearing glasses. There is no such thing as a pair of headphones that are comfortable to wear with glasses. My IEMs are comfortable to wear, include a microphone, and sound like $200 headphones even though they cost $40. IEMs are superior in every way in my opinion.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

Buy wireless. The wires on headphones are cancer and it was a good decision to stop using such headphones for me.

I use Sennheiser 4.40bt. I also have 458 as a spare, but i like them a lot less. They are of moderate cost. The charge time is 2-2.5 hours. Sennheiser shit is practically indestructible. You have to go out of your way to break them, i worked outside on my land plot with them, jogged, dropped them multiple times by accident. They still work, not even a scratch. Decent sound too, but i'm not an expert.
Last edited by Fargus on May 7th, 2023, 15:54, edited 1 time in total.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

Let's be honest, everyone recommends what they have. Which is why I recommend Yamaha headphones. I have ones that are cheap, natural sounding (no pumped up basses) and comfortable. My problem with them is that the 'skin' of the rubber started peeling off after 3 years.

Distrust anybody who recommends Sennheiser, they never sound right to me.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

Pretty sure most of the cheap headphones have the problem of "shedding skin". You can always buy new pads for them idk.
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

Segata Sanshiro wrote: May 7th, 2023, 15:53
Let's be honest, everyone recommends what they have.
Not in my case. I have two different Sony headphones and both are terribly uncomfortable. I've also had Sennheiser and I can't recommend them either. They're all usable, but I don't want to use them. Certainly don't recommend either brand.

I just don't rely on headphones that much, so I can't be bothered to buy better ones.
MadPreacher

Post by MadPreacher »

I use EKSA E1000 headphones, so I recommend the brand. My advice would be to get one of the newest headphones that use the EKSA 7.1 Soundbase software.

Eksa 7.1 Soundbase
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Guess it depends on what you want out of them. I used to use Logitech Artemis g933s, decent virtual 7.1, wireless capable, and Dolby sound, but they don't make em anymore and they're flimsy. Ever since they croaked I've been using a cheap pair of Sennheisers HD 202s, pretty damn good for twenty bucks.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

I used to have wired sennheiser hd 206 for maybe 3 years before they broke. Out of all cheap wired headphones i had these are the ones that lasted longest. But its still shit and died because of wires. Goddamn i hate fucking wires, never going back to them even if the sound would be like from the heaven itself.
Cedric

Post by Cedric »

After a lot of research I got these: https://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic-770 ... B0006NL5SM

I've been happy with them for six or seven years now. An excellent compromise between cost and quality, easy to find replacement parts for and very comfortable to wear.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I use shokz. Beats if I need to wear ear protection at work.
Priest

Post by Priest »

I have a nice headset already but I need to replace some cheaper in ear 3.5mm earphones. Any suggestions that won't immediately fall apart?
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Priest wrote: June 2nd, 2023, 20:04
I have a nice headset already but I need to replace some cheaper in ear 3.5mm earphones. Any suggestions that won't immediately fall apart?
KZ ZEX Pro
Red7

Post by Red7 »

sennheiser hd206 best from cheap. they break after 3-5 years, i usually just solder wire, the rubber around it cracks with time. way more durable than most other shit tho.

no bullshit wireless trash, good sound quality, comfortable and decent insolation from ext noises.
Red7

Post by Red7 »

Fargus wrote: May 8th, 2023, 01:14
I used to have wired sennheiser hd 206 for maybe 3 years before they broke. Out of all cheap wired headphones i had these are the ones that lasted longest. But its still shit and died because of wires. Goddamn i hate fucking wires, never going back to them even if the sound would be like from the heaven itself.
wireless shit is is really bad for your brain.
boot

Post by boot »

just got these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NTYB4M7/re ... =UTF8&th=1

I think $60 is a good price for them, I paid $100. Feels really sturdy. Pads are a bit stiff, though.
NotAI

Post by NotAI »

Planars. Planars. Planars. All the exceptions from the dynamics are top of the line models. Cost the same.

Probably you can start with HE6SE because that's an old model. They finally get rid of the terrible headband.

Verum Audio is also good if you're on a budget.

The lower priced options from Hifimans are good with correct EQ. Not revealing enough for music production, tried those. But the prices on the cheapest models can't be beat given the sound. They are more or less are least right timbre. At least. Most headphones are not. HE6 is the exception and great. Low price because risk. Defects were common on the production line for this model in the recent past.

In the top of the line models Hifiman is probably the very best. Middle of the line is also good. Arya. Audivina.

Alternative is Dan Clark Aeon which is well priced. Check Amazon.

A recent good alternative is Moondrop Venus. Great. Not overpriced.

Why these cans...my experience from buying and trying a bunch to select a single headphone for the entire sound team to produce music samples and recorded. Everyone must hear the same thing. But price matters because not everybody has the same budget. Optimization goal is maximally revealing. For the price. Because all this shit breaks periodically when used regularly. Like for work.

So far had five break. The only lesson learned is higher price means higher risk. Not over- or under- priced.
SpellSword

Post by SpellSword »

If you can find one the JVC's HA-RX300 Stereo Headphones have worked out pretty well for me.

I can't speak for the newer models but the sound is good on these and it took a long time before the cushions that go around the ears started to show signs of wear.
► Here is an image I found of them
Thor Kaufman
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Blessed thread.

I am looking for comfy headphones with noise cancelling function and WITH wires. And with replaceable battery so I can always have one ready if the current one is empty. Preferably cheap, i.e. around 50 bucks.
Don't care for any of that gay bluetooth shit, wire all the way.
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

These are pretty good for $50, if you want bluetooth. I recently ordered a pair of these, and I like them for the price I paid. The mic works better than I expected. They're about as good as bluetooth headphones you'd pay $100 for.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08R8DT7X6/re ... 92ec0&th=1
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

somerandomdude wrote: September 14th, 2023, 00:57
These are pretty good for $50, if you want bluetooth. I recently ordered a pair of these, and I like them for the price I paid. The mic works better than I expected. They're about as good as bluetooth headphones you'd pay $100 for.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08R8DT7X6/re ... 92ec0&th=1
G435 fits a wide range of people, but it was designed for the comfort of smaller head sizes. There is also an optional 85 dB volume limiter so you don’t blow out your ear drums.