We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Meathead shooters

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
Vlajdimir Ermenović

Meathead shooters

Post by Vlajdimir Ermenović »

I'm looking for good fps games in the vein of Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Necrovision. I'm aware of CoD 1 and the earlier medal of honour games, but I wanna know about my options that don't take place in ww2. Any suggestions?
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Mm, yes, very different.

Vlajdimir Ermenović

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 22:41
Call of Juarez games?
Gunslinger was dope, but rtcw & necrovision had more than 2 weapons and proper health bars. Gunslinger was more like CoD but good. Only 2 guns and regenerating health.
Vlajdimir Ermenović

Acrux wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 22:42
Mm, yes, very different.

Return to Catle Wolfenstein is the 2001 game.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

Call of Juarez Gunslinger still remains on my top list. An amazing FPS, and I'm only shocked it never got a sequel or even a remaster.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

I understand you want something that ins't too much on rails like late 2000s or post 2010 shooters, but also not too boomerish with convoluted level design like... well, Doom etc?

FEAR, Half Life games, Cultic, Dusk perhaps ?

Or maybe some of this shite

Fargus

Post by Fargus »

you might enjoy this one since these were the same devs who made RtCW, they just went under the name Xatrix back in 1999
Maggot

Post by Maggot »

Fargus wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 23:43

you might enjoy this one since these were the same devs who made RtCW, they just went under the name Xatrix back in 1999
Played this for the first time recently, fantastic game and tough as hell.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

Maggot wrote: May 4th, 2023, 01:01

Yeah, from what i remember when i played it 14 years ago the higher difficulties were insane.

But what i do like is the setting. It's like exaggerated version of Russia in the 90s except it's America. :smug:
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Vlajdimir Ermenović wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 22:30
fps games in the vein of Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Necrovision.
you mean you want a scifi/fantasy FPS, possibly with a horror bend and gothic aesthetics? There aren't that many games like this.

You can try subsequent Wolfenstein games, though none of them are as good as RTCW. Wolfenstein 2009 is your typical kitchen sink "shooter 2.0" that tried to ape every thing in existence - it has a hub world, upgradeable weapons, character abilities, etc. Wolfenstein the New Order is basically Call of Duty, but with some surface level oldschool elements (like medkits and the ability to carry multiple weapons at the same time). Wolfenstein The Old Blood is probably the best nuwolf game, it feels like a loose remake of RTCW's first two chapters (i.e. castle, cable car, village, crypt). Wolfenstein the New Colossus is a woke garbage, don't bother. I didn't play youngblood and don't have any opinions on it, but apparently it's even worse than Colossus.

There was a short-lived trend of kitchen-sink shooters inspired by Bioshock (Wolfenstein 2009 was a part of that trend). Some of those games may fit the bill, particularly The Darkness 2 (made by devs behind Unreal and Warframe), Timeshift (Half-Life 2 clone from russian devs) and Singularity (made by Raven).

Relatively recent Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War (that was a mouthful) was made by Raven as well. It's surprisingly complex for a Call of Duty game - has non-linear narrative (like in CoD BO2), chargen, minor RPG elements, optional stealth, etc. Doesn't have any scifi or fantasy elements, but has a pretty cool espionage vibe going on.

Red Faction (the first one) is, similarly to RTCW, a Half-Life clone/successor. Has a very similar basic gameplay loop, similar weapons, similar enemies and design approach. Worth playing if you're into story-focused singleplayer shooters.

Clive Barker's Undying is a cool gothic horror shooter. Early 20th century, you play as a WW1 vet and an occult investigator who travels to some remote irish island in order to fight demons from another world. Gothic castles, magic, human enemies, paranormal enemies, magic.

Call of Cthulhu - Dark Corners of the Earth sort of fits the bill. It starts out like a horror-adventure, but an hour in it devolves into a survival shooter where you fight fisnmen with a typical early 20th century weapons like colt 1911 and tommygun.

You can also try Resident Evil Village. It's an FPS, it has castles, villages and industrial factories, and you can fight zombies and cyborgs in it. Very RTCWish, although the game itself is meh.
Last edited by wndrbr on May 4th, 2023, 03:30, edited 1 time in total.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Also, why did you call those games "meathead shooters"? I expected this thread to be about Halo or Gear of War.
KnightoftheWind

I suppose Painkiller is another similar game to RTCW and Necrovision. It's an interesting if not occult-heavy aesthetic.

I think "Boomer Shooter" is the new term for games like Doom/Quake.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

KnightoftheWind wrote: May 4th, 2023, 03:35
I suppose Painkiller is another similar game to RTCW and Necrovision. It's an interesting if not occult-heavy aesthetic.
some of Necrovision devs worked on Painkiller. It even shares the same engine.
Suissant

Post by Suissant »

Painkiller really is a clone of Quake 3. It has basically no story, no narrative motive. It's an "arcade" first person shooter. It's an instantiation of a single player playing session of quake 3 but not in an arena as most q3 maps were, in a "level" as defined by quake 1 and 2.
Suissant

Post by Suissant »

Maggot wrote: May 4th, 2023, 01:01

Holy shit. I remember playing this game 10 years ago and even them people telling me it was obscure as strife.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Painkiller has more in common with slaughterwads, Serious Sam games, and to an extent character action games like DMC.

I remember reading an interview with one of the devs, and he said that DMC was a major inspiration. Hence you get locked in an arena, and must run around while controlling a crowd of enemies by mixing and matching different guns.
KnightoftheWind

Not every game needs a story, in fact sometimes no story is better. Less chances for soydevs to promote globohomo.
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

F.E.A.R.

Mostly for the AI
Vlajdimir Ermenović

Thanks for the recs @wndrbr and @Fargus , I'll look into it. Iron Storm especially looks good.

Wunderbar, I've played nuwolf TNO and Old Blood. They're whatever, kinda enjoyable, but nothing amazing.

Interesting what you said about Cold War. I thought Blops 2 was the last time they'd give it any effort. Though it's not what I'm asking for (regenerating health, two guns etc), I'm glad they made one more that's good for what it is.
Vlajdimir Ermenović

KnightoftheWind wrote: May 4th, 2023, 04:32
Look mom, I'm doing teh politics!
KnightoftheWind

Vlajdimir Ermenović wrote: May 4th, 2023, 19:34
Look daddy, I'm a heckin' based CENTRIST with a furry avatar!. Best not rock the boat, eh my fellow MIGApedes?. Just keep your head down and keep consuming product!.
Vlajdimir Ermenović

KnightoftheWind wrote: May 4th, 2023, 20:00
Look daddy, I'm a heckin' based CENTRIST with a furry avatar!. Best not rock the boat, eh my fellow MIGApedes?. Just keep your head down and keep consuming product!.
You said nothing interesting and your logic is retarded, and now you presume everyone who doesn't like your shit does so because he cheers for the other team. Wanting to remove stories because they're used by soydevs is like wanting to ban guns because they're used by thugs. The solution to soydevs isn't banning x or banning y, the solution is not being a fucking soydev. Did you ever think of that? No, of course you didn't, because you don't think for yourself, you just say whatever flavour-of-the-month buzzwords you think will earn you approval. Like ''MIGApede''. You expect people to understand that gibberish? Get a life, you gay bottom feeder.
KnightoftheWind

Vlajdimir Ermenović wrote: May 4th, 2023, 20:14
KnightoftheWind wrote: May 4th, 2023, 20:00

You said nothing interesting and your logic is retarded, and now you presume everyone who doesn't like your shit does so because he cheers for the other team. Wanting to remove stories because they're used by soydevs is like wanting to ban guns because they're used by thugs. The solution to soydevs isn't banning x or banning y, the solution is not being a fucking soydev. Did you ever think of that? No, of course you didn't, because you don't think for yourself, you just say whatever flavour-of-the-month buzzwords you think will earn you approval. Like ''MIGApede''. You expect people to understand that gibberish? Get a life, you gay bottom feeder.
WAOW Stop it with the identity politics!!, can't we all just GET ALONG?!. Jeez it's just skin color am I right?. So what if a story peddles gay sex and trans female characters and portrays whites as villains, it's just a game or a movie or a show!. Don't like it don't play it, sheesh!. I for one love Horizon Forbidden West because of it's beautiful graphics and fun gameplay, I couldn't care less if it's androgynous female lead kisses another androgynous female!. I think you should learn from my example, chud. Because centrism is just so heckin' logical!.
Vlajdimir Ermenović

KnightoftheWind wrote: May 4th, 2023, 20:20
Vlajdimir Ermenović wrote: May 4th, 2023, 20:14
WAOW Stop it with the identity politics!!, can't we all just GET ALONG?!. Jeez it's just skin color am I right?. So what if a story peddles gay sex and trans female characters and portrays whites as villains, it's just a game or a movie or a show!. Don't like it don't play it, sheesh!. I for one love Horizon Forbidden West because of it's beautiful graphics and fun gameplay, I couldn't care less if it's androgynous female lead kisses another androgynous female!. I think you should learn from my example, chud. Because centrism is just so heckin' logical!.
I never said I'm indifferent to gay shit in my games, you're making shit up. My complaint was about you pushing your gay political shit where it's neither wanted not necessary, and for not really adding anything to the conversation. I started this thread to solicit game recommendations, not for ''Look look, I used the word 'based'! Please tell me I'm doing well, daddy!''. The rest of us have better things to do with our time.