Showgunners — Running Man themed tacticool game from Hard West devs. Releases May 2.

For discussing tactical and strategy games. What's the difference between tactics and strategy anyways?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Showgunners — Running Man themed tacticool game from Hard West devs. Releases May 2.

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Upfront notice: I was a tester for this game and signed an NDA, therefore cannot comment on it beyond "it's fun" until release.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 1st, 2023, 18:32
Fargus wrote: May 1st, 2023, 18:22
Too ESG for my taste.
It's not. I'll explain tomorrow.
"Trust me, it's fun. Just buy the damn game goyim!"
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

This was spoilers, but now I don't want to spoil it for you guys because I liked it. :scratch:
You can trust me. Or not.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

N-No guys, there is obviously a game of 4D chess going on here!. This game is super BASED and REDPILLED!. Consoom now, ask question later!.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Real question: How is it any different from nuXCOM? It looks like it's a clone, but with fewer features than XCOM2.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Gregz wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 21:46
In 250 words or less, why should I play this game?
Showgunners is a fast-paced tactical action game developed by CyberSakura Studios. The game is enjoyable enough and lasts exactly as long as it needs to, which is around 12-15 hours. The game features a good selection of characters, but nothing particularly original, and the skills are mostly borrowed wholesale from other games of the genre.

Showgunners is a true spectacle that stays true to its format for a game that doesn’t overstay its welcome. The turn-based gameplay is really smart, and the third-person real-time movement is a nice change of pace for the genre. It’s scripted fun you can save scum to your hearts content, or die a glorious death in ironman mode.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Acrux wrote: May 2nd, 2023, 20:18
Real question: How is it any different from nuXCOM? It looks like it's a clone, but with fewer features than XCOM2.
The combat is deceptively like nuXCOM but encourages you to be much more action-oriented due to the fighting taking place in very tight spaces.
But outside of combat, it's nothing like nuXCOM. Between 'episodes' you go back to your quarters to talk to other contestants, give interviews, etc., During 'episodes' but between combat there's exploration + puzzles. Nearly all the combat takes place in the actual exploration area.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Kind of reminds me of Super Smash TV on the SNES. Similar premise anyway. I'd like to give it a shot when I have time, but that's something I don't think I'll have much of this semester.
Gregz
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gregz »

Acrux wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 22:10
Gregz wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 21:46
In 250 words or less, why should I play this game?
Showgunners is a fast-paced tactical action game developed by CyberSakura Studios. The game is enjoyable enough and lasts exactly as long as it needs to, which is around 12-15 hours. The game features a good selection of characters, but nothing particularly original, and the skills are mostly borrowed wholesale from other games of the genre.

Showgunners is a true spectacle that stays true to its format for a game that doesn’t overstay its welcome. The turn-based gameplay is really smart, and the third-person real-time movement is a nice change of pace for the genre. It’s scripted fun you can save scum to your hearts content, or die a glorious death in ironman mode.
12-15 hours? That's ... not much.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

GhostCow wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 22:40
Kind of reminds me of Super Smash TV on the SNES. Similar premise anyway. I'd like to give it a shot when I have time, but that's something I don't think I'll have much of this semester.
Probably also inspired by Le Prix du danger and its derivatives.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

I finally got around to trying this. I've only completed the first mission, but I have to say that it does seem pretty good. It's exactly what I was expecting.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

This has been getting some good coverage in videos lately and sales picked up again, 95% positive recent reviews, 94% positive overall.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

"Y'know, the game stands for everything I despise but mercy me it looks so GOOD!. I gotta...I GOTTA....CONSOOOOOOOMMMMM!!"
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

KnightoftheWind wrote: June 27th, 2023, 13:59
stands for everything I despise
How so?

It portrays the future they're living in as one that's terrible. The main character is a wife & mother who had her family brutally murdered.
MadPreacher

Post by MadPreacher »

rusty_shackleford wrote: June 27th, 2023, 14:01
KnightoftheWind wrote: June 27th, 2023, 13:59
stands for everything I despise
How so?

It portrays the future they're living in as one that's terrible. The main character is a wife & mother who had her family brutally murdered.
She's only pissed off that she didn't get to murder them first.