Aliens: Dark Descent

For discussing tactical and strategy games. What's the difference between tactics and strategy anyways?
MadPreacher

Aliens: Dark Descent

Post by MadPreacher »

This just showed up in my YouTube recommended. It looks okay.

jcd

Post by jcd »

I am sure they will or already have turned it into Fortnite.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Looks good

Alien has been doing much better in video games than other forms of media, that's for sure.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

"You're encouraged to do this[revisit maps] because they're so large and they can have so many secondary objectives [...] these are persistent maps, that door you welded or where a broken sentry might be, that all stays."

Yeah I'm thinkin this is a rusty game.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Your troops can rest in 'safe' areas by welding the doors to the room shut and they lose stress.

Amazing, some random tactical game implemented barring a door for resting but no major RPG is capable of implementing such a basic feature.
Gregz
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gregz »

Is this a finished game or another bug hunt?
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

is this related to that Amnesia game
Cedric

Post by Cedric »

Honestly looks pretty fun.
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

Would have preferred turn based, but hey
SDG

Post by SDG »

Game sounds killer. Over on codex people are praising the shit out of it. Not much bad is being said about it other than some bug complaints. Just got my copy in the mail today. Lookin forward to trying it out.
Ratcatcher
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ratcatcher »

I bought this. One day I may even have time to play it. For now I played the introduction and if you overlook the mongrel-ish mystery meat strong indypindy wymmin you start as (something not completely out of character for the franchise, if it wasn't for ESG killing western aesthetics) there's definitely a very strong presentation and good art direction here. The locations I have briefly visited look very similar to what you have in the movies, great attention in the reproduction of vehicles and other heavy machines. Everything looks bulky, hefty, industrial. You know Alien(s) style.

There's quite a few customization options when it comes to difficulty. Since I'm not going to try too hard on my first playthrough, I went with Normal for enemy health and overall death clock and hard and very hard for enemy reaction time and aggressiveness gain. I figured this would avoid me slacking and picking up bad habits but still be manageable without too many reloads. For what I gathered the game is quite hard. There's an additional setting managing saves, if I understand correctly the game relies only on autosaves, bad for managing play time but good for balancing the game pace and difficulty I suppose. The 2 settings determine how many autosaves you are allowed to keep, mainly.

I could have got some info wrong, I only looked at this very briefly, noticed we have absolutely no info on the boards about what appears to be a very monocled game and wrote what little I can offer to maybe help some undecided bro(s). I'll try and come back later with additional spoiler free info and impressions, God willing.
2factorauth

Post by 2factorauth »

its looks like absolute banal shit boring trash in alien skin

a single look at the character screen just verifies it
1 damage type lol
also there are screens on steam where a squad has the same fucking gun on all of them...
good lord
and real time? ahhahaha
shiiiiieeet
not to mention the nigger wymbynz angle
Fedora Master
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Fedora Master »

Game is good. Just not if you're retarded.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I appreciate that it isn't incomplete garbage early access.
2factorauth

Post by 2factorauth »

Fedora Master wrote: July 11th, 2023, 22:05
Game is good. Just not if you're retarded.
if you are a shiteating tard maybe
Ratcatcher
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ratcatcher »

2factorauth wrote: July 12th, 2023, 15:46
Why are you so upset?
Fedora Master
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Fedora Master »

Ratcatcher wrote: July 12th, 2023, 17:33
Why are you so upset?
Probably got stuck on the tutorial

Dead

Post by Dead »

All of the characters look like douchebags
Fedora Master
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Fedora Master »

Dead wrote: July 12th, 2023, 20:10
All of the characters look like douchebags
Awesome, isn't it?
Dead

Post by Dead »

A simple test to determine whether a game could be good or not is to check if the enemies look cooler than your characters. If the enemies look cooler than your characters, the game will never feel great.
Fedora Master
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Fedora Master »

Dead wrote: July 12th, 2023, 20:14
A simple test to determine whether a game could be good or not is to check if the enemies look cooler than your characters. If the enemies look cooler than your characters, the game will never feel great.
BG3 and Solasta are garbage, true.
Ratcatcher
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ratcatcher »

Dead wrote: July 12th, 2023, 20:14
Tbh this excludes all Aliens + Predators related titles, most fantasy games and a few sci-fi ones too. And as much as we all love Doomguy, are you telling me with a straight face he looks 'cooler' than a Cyberdemon?

It's a tactical game. I don't care very much the characters are blokes I can identify with, as I'm not a troon nor a phaggot. In a game such as this one, aesthetics are better judged as a whole, mainly taking in environment. Ofc I'm not going to gliss on the assorted mongrelized mystery meat (refer to my first post) but, as a whole, the game def looks good, someone know his art direction here.

I reserve the judgement for the whole game being good or not after I finish it or at least after I have more time with it. Rule of thumbs are good for determining if a stick is adecuate for beating your wife, it cannot be used to determine the quality of complex products.
Fedora Master
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Fedora Master »

The game is fine aesthetically but clings a bit too much to the established "grey on black metal" look.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

I just want to know if this is worth playing with a friend or not.
Fedora Master
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Fedora Master »

General Reign wrote: July 12th, 2023, 20:52
I just want to know if this is worth playing with a friend or not.
I don't think it has coop?
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

Pointless. Thanks.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I'll wait for the expansion and sale.
2factorauth

Post by 2factorauth »

Ratcatcher wrote: July 12th, 2023, 17:33
Why are you so upset?
im mad as hell and im not gonna take it anymore!
i want to be hardcore but my mom wont let me :(
Eyestabber
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Eyestabber »

As I expected, the real time combat is a cluster fuck and it's actually RTwP. There's a delay between giving an order and someone finally deciding to carry it out, which makes most tactical options useless. By the time your tards decide to actually throw the grenade you ordered 3 seconds ago, everything is already dead (friend & foe). Other times there's not much of a delay, so if you select a shotgun blast it will result in a wasted shot due to idiotic range. Also, whoever decided the game couldn't be manually saved deserves to be shoved face first into a tree grinder. And the time opening boxes is ridiculously long, much longer than other games that use similar progress bars. Actually, EVERYTHING in this game takes its sweet fucking time. Maps are gigantic, which would be a good thing. Except for the fact that you can't save so whenever some RNG bullshit results in a squad wipe, well, time to replay the last 40 minutes of the game xDDDD.

This game makes good usage of the source material and has great atmosphere, and that's fucking it. The actual gameplay mechanics are mediocre to straight up bad.