We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Do you ever feel like your internal thoughts/monologue can affect or even manipulate external reality?

Surely this will be a civilized forum
Hando

Do you ever feel like your internal thoughts/monologue can affect or even manipulate external reality?

Post by Hando »

I know this can easily be waved away as coincidence combined with confirmation bias but when I'm hit with a wave of synchronicity in a short period of time it really gets me thinking deeply about the nature of reality.
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

Hando wrote: April 16th, 2023, 17:37
I know this can easily be waved away as coincidence combined with confirmation bias but when I'm hit with a wave of synchronicity in a short period of time it really gets me thinking deeply about the nature of reality.
No. It's just that most of the time we are thinking along the lines of what is happening around us.
madbringer
Turtle
Turtle

Post by madbringer »

Wasn't there a recent study that showed a significant portion of humans don't have internal monologue?
madbringer
Turtle
Turtle

Post by madbringer »

Tweed wrote: April 17th, 2023, 03:25
I have an internal monologue, if only I could get him to shut up.
Bro, I'm with you. This asshole is constantly pushing me to do things I'd rather not do, like get out of bed on a cold monday morning and subject myself to a bunch of ungrateful brats at work. What an asshole.
Hando

Post by Hando »

madbringer wrote: April 17th, 2023, 03:44
Bro, I'm with you. This asshole is constantly pushing me to do things I'd rather not do, like get out of bed on a cold monday morning and subject myself to a bunch of ungrateful brats at work. What an asshole.
Well you have to make Mr. Noseberg rich somehow, right?
madbringer
Turtle
Turtle

Post by madbringer »

Hando wrote: April 17th, 2023, 04:01
It's more like I feel an obligation to educate the younger generation.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

madbringer wrote: April 17th, 2023, 04:36

Wud iz an...anadiplosis? Anadiplosis...man, miss me with this gay ass nigga anglish sheit.
madbringer
Turtle
Turtle

Post by madbringer »

Tweed wrote: April 17th, 2023, 04:49
madbringer wrote: April 17th, 2023, 04:36

Wud iz an...anadiplosis? Anadiplosis...man, miss me with this gay ass nigga anglish sheit.
Nigger speak. The word you're looking for is "alliteration".
Hando

Post by Hando »

Mesugaki wrote: April 17th, 2023, 08:48
don't do drugs or drink kiddos. Let this be a lesson.
Don't get me wrong, I agree absolutely. But what I said wasn't necessarily borne out of intoxication. You can have thoughts like this without being under the influence of a substance. It's just human introspection.
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

I thought about this when I was in my twenties, it's a normal introspection and then you realize yeah no this isn't a thing.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

I had no idea that most people have no inner monologue. I couldn't begin to grasp what that would be like. No surprise there seems to be a correlation between no inner voice and aphantasia.
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

I remain unconvinced that some people can't actually have an inner dialogue or "aphantasia" actually exists, since the ratio of those kinds of people is so low it is basically covered by the ratio of people who are so stupid, obstinate or autistic that they don't understand the term the same way as most others and therefore they declare that "don't have it".

Like myself, I can easily imagine a scenario with all kinds of details, so I don't have aphantasia. But wait, if I understand that as not being able to actually see that in front of me with "my imagination", then I am of course a fucking moron and suddenly have aphantasia.

Same with inner dialogue. It's part of the thought process, so of course I have an inner dialogue. But wait, if I understand that as actually hearing voices and talking to them, then again I am of course a fucking moron and suddenly don't have any inner dialogue.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Atlantico wrote: April 24th, 2023, 10:16
I remain unconvinced that some people can't actually have an inner dialogue or "aphantasia" actually exists, since the ratio of those kinds of people is so low it is basically covered by the ratio of people who are so stupid, obstinate or autistic that they don't understand the term the same way as most others and therefore they declare that "don't have it".

Like myself, I can easily imagine a scenario with all kinds of details, so I don't have aphantasia. But wait, if I understand that as not being able to actually see that in front of me with "my imagination", then I am of course a fucking moron and suddenly have aphantasia.

Same with inner dialogue. It's part of the thought process, so of course I have an inner dialogue. But wait, if I understand that as actually hearing voices and talking to them, then again I am of course a fucking moron and suddenly don't have any inner dialogue.
You know, it's okay if you only imagine in black and white and your conscience only speaks to you in monosyllables, no need to project. :smug:
Thor Kaufman
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Thor Kaufman »

I figure being without an inner monologue is akin to being in a constant flow state or hypnosis-like state. But when you feel certain things you may not be able to properly attribute or analyse them, like anxiety or anger. Aka NPC
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

Tweed wrote: April 24th, 2023, 13:10

You know, it's okay if you only imagine in black and white and your conscience only speaks to you in monosyllables, no need to project. :smug:
I honestly don't understand what you are trying to say, it's hard to decipher the meaning from the smugness

edit: protip, read the post you're replying to before attempting a snappy comeback lmao
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

To borrow a leftistism, I think it's a spectrum. I've heard people claim that they really can induce hallucinatory images over their waking vision. One guy in particular said that's how he drew: he would cause himself to see the object, which to him would appear to hover over the paper, and then trace it.

On the other hand, I've heard people who seem otherwise intelligent describe aphantasia convincingly. They said that they could perfectly well understand what words like 'red', 'square', etc. describe, but they could not assemble those into any internal visual. When not seeing the object itself, to them they are mere adjectives disconnected from any particular image, just as if they were abstract adjectives like 'just' or 'superb'.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Atlantico wrote: April 24th, 2023, 14:12
I honestly don't understand what you are trying to say, it's hard to decipher the meaning from the smugness
Being an imaginelet must be rough.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

I didn't have any internal dialogue with words until I saw someone thinking with words on a TV show and realized I could do it too. This was in like primary or middle school. I think it's a phase everyone starts at and some people never get out of.
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

Tweed wrote: April 24th, 2023, 15:33
Having 24 pairs of chromosomes must be rough.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Atlantico wrote: April 24th, 2023, 22:02
This is your brain on aphantasia. The poor imaginelet, meaning well, is forced to used worn-out, tired insults due to the inability to imagine. Sad.
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

Tweed wrote: April 24th, 2023, 23:46
Atlantico wrote: April 24th, 2023, 22:02

This is your brain on aphantasia. The poor imaginelet, meaning well, is forced to used worn-out, tired insults due to the inability to imagine. Sad.
Wow uses worn out tired insults, complains about exactly that. 24 your lucky number bro lmao
Sweeper

Post by Sweeper »

Thought is supposed to be intuitive.
When speaking to someone, do you actually think about and plan out what you'll say next in the middle of conversation? Or do you just naturally engage?
The truth is if you do have what you call an "internal monologue" you're actually schizophrenic.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

madbringer wrote: April 17th, 2023, 03:19
Wasn't there a recent study that showed a significant portion of humans don't have internal monologue?
I strongly doubt this is true. How could people never think with words, even accidentally?