We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Satanic video games

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

KnightoftheWind wrote: April 15th, 2023, 16:15
Nothing autistic about it, it's honestly a very basic precaution to take. Only "heckin IRONIC" Gen X-ers found it appealing because they were already brainwashed by MTV and other forms of "hard hitting" media, it's made by and for them. It's why Blizzard themselves chose to soften the series' grimdark aesthetic with Diablo III, in order to appeal to more people. If such imagery were acceptable, there would be no need to do so, right?.
Is this Rusty's alt pretending to be retarded?
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Dead wrote: April 15th, 2023, 17:39
Nothing autistic about it, it's honestly a very basic precaution to take. Only "heckin IRONIC" Gen X-ers found it appealing because they were already brainwashed by MTV and other forms of "hard hitting" media, it's made by and for them. It's why Blizzard themselves chose to soften the series' grimdark aesthetic with Diablo III, in order to appeal to more people. If such imagery were acceptable, there would be no need to do so, right?.
Is this Rusty's alt pretending to be retarded?
No, Rusty would be funny.
madbringer
Turtle
Turtle

Post by madbringer »

It should be common knowledge that media has an affect on our subconcious mind.
Bro, what year are you living in? Last I checked MTV was doing sitcoms with goblins and niggers. The media I'd focus on is twitter, reddit, facebook. Those are brainwashing.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

Twitter, reddit and facebook existed when Diablo was released in 1997?, I never knew!. Think of all the fun stuff I missed out on!.
Watser
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Watser »

madbringer
Turtle
Turtle

Post by madbringer »

KnightoftheWind wrote: April 16th, 2023, 14:39
Twitter, reddit and facebook existed when Diablo was released in 1997?, I never knew!. Think of all the fun stuff I missed out on!.
Look, point is a lot of media was satanic in imagery back then but not really in the message. Today you are bombarded with gay, pedo shit left and right without severed goat heads. I think that is much worse.
Hauberk

Post by Hauberk »

Not an uninteresting subject. I think there's something to both sides of the argument.

Someone once said "you are what you consume" and I think it might apply to an extent here. These days, I feel the urge to avoid ''negative'' things in general and would rather fill my life with positivity (such as striving to do some good amidst all this evil and to try to obey God). Not sure I'd call doom or diablo "satanic" but there's no doubt that they depict lots of evil stuff and I never once liked references to real world magic symbols and names of spirits etc. I've developed similar feelings towards heavy metal which I enjoyed earlier.

At the same time I agree with @madbringer above (for example) when he says that the sicko agenda is much worse. It's a very obvious evil, though not one without severed goat heads if we go by the apparent religion of many celebrities.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

The Japanese's incessant use of churches that turn out to be evil and using angelic imagery for the final bosses has become tiresome. Within the last couple years we had Final Fantasy XIV, Diofield Chronicle, and now Granblue Fantasy Relink that did this. I know it's not a deliberate attack like how Western entertainment mocks Christianity, but it's just so old hat. They've been doing this since Breath of Fire and FF6 and FFT. It's been 30 years guys. Try to be more original than fighting "the empire" or evil churches or the villain transforming into an angelic monster.

Sometimes the Japs accidentally get close to naking a good story here, like the villain of the FF14 Shadowbringers patches coming close to being an antichrist parallel who deliberately dons the traditional aesthetics of goodness and presents himself as a righteous hero to mislead the masses with only a handful knowing better.

Also adjacent is the recent trend of "light and dark are just two sides of the same coin".
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

Be grateful that you are getting anything other than Romance of the Three Kingdoms.
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

There's a reason "Jenova" rhymes with "Jehovah." I think it has less to do with trying to be original, more to do with their underlying beliefs. Even in FF15, the version that never got finished but was released as a book, you were supposed to team up with evil Jesus against the 'God' figure of Bahamut, whom controls destiny.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

ArcaneLurker wrote: February 13th, 2024, 18:50
There's a reason "Jenova" rhymes with "Jehovah." I think it has less to do with trying to be original, more to do with their underlying beliefs. Even in FF15, the version that never got finished but was released as a book, you were supposed to team up with evil Jesus against the 'God' figure of Bahamut, whom controls destiny.
God spelled backwards is Dog.
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

Tweed wrote: February 13th, 2024, 18:58
God spelled backwards is Dog.
Alright, the point wasn't to focus on the naming--
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sefirot
The story itself tends to be anti-monotheist, or New Age with gnostic undertones, as already indicated by @Val the Moofia Boss
Last edited by ArcaneLurker on February 13th, 2024, 19:03, edited 1 time in total.
Hauberk

Post by Hauberk »

you were supposed to team up with evil Jesus against the 'God' figure of Bahamut
Japan in a nutshell.
KnightoftheWind

JRPGs are filled to the brim with this trope, that's why I tend to avoid about 98% of them. Even Dragon's Dogma pulled the same stunt with the "Seneschal", a character that was essentially the "god" of that game's world. And funnily enough, he was the ultimate form of the Arisen, the character you were playing as. In that sense it was very gnostic, but it goes a step further by stating that mankind are just glorified automatons, and that nothing truly had meaning etc etc. And yep, you end up having to kill the Seneschal and take his place as the "god" of the world. All in one fell swoop.

It's unfortunate because prior to that, the game was very based. The Dragon you were up against was unquestioningly evil, and was going to destroy the world if you did not face him or make a deal with him in a Faustian bargain. The final battle with him felt epic, but it was all undermined in the post-game. The Dragon still ends up damaging the kingdom, perhaps irreversibly, and the scene with the Senechal takes place almost directly after once you beat the last, tedious dungeon.

I suppose these games all reflect the state of the Japanese consciousness, a very atomized, nihilistic, and borderline demonic existence. When they aren't parading around anime boobas, they tend to promote darker themes in their games, reveling in the demonic and condemning anything Godly and Good. It is the proliferation of Japanese media in the west that perhaps led to millennials and zoomers being what they are today, also very atomised and nihilistic to the point of deconstructing everything and making a mockery of foundational values.
Slavic Sorcerer

Post by Slavic Sorcerer »

Oh, nice, a recommendation topic

We have:
- Diablo series
- Doom
- Dragon's Dogma and other JRPGs

Anyone more titles?
For research

Other demonic games that I recommend cause I'm a raging homosexual incubus corrupting your souls with my snake whispers people of faith should avoid due to strong demonic presence:
- Elder Scroll Online
- Bastard Bonds
- Alice: Madness Returns
- Elden Ring
- Baldur's Gate 3
- Dark Souls series - it literally has "Dark" in it's name
- Hello Kitty games
- Hogwarts Legacy - Harry Potter franchise, watch out!
- Grim Dawn

I'm just being glib, Knight, nothing personal :lol:

If someone believes an image of a demon or fighting demons is a threat to their faith and soul - that's completely fine by me
Whenever their concerns are serious or not it's up to each and everyone to decide for themselves
Last edited by Slavic Sorcerer on February 13th, 2024, 20:17, edited 2 times in total.
Nooneatall

Post by Nooneatall »

You could make this argument about anything.
This is usually where Christians lose me, that are really on point with a ton of morals and stuff but then we vear off into territory that doesn't make sense.
Why should we shun violence? Why shouldn't we be proud? Why should we not play a game where we fight and kill demons (ostensibly the enemies of God and Jesus)?
KnightoftheWind

This is about understanding and recognizing these themes when they appear, not turning a blind eye because of your dopamine hit (to use zoomer terminology). Superficially, yes, you may be killing demons and genuinely evil characters, but the game may also be preaching to you the doctrines of the demons themselves. "Killing demons" is quickly undermined when you are literally fighting God as a final boss and taking His place. In the SMT and Persona games, I hear you even recruit demons to fight for you and chat them up like they were your friends and allies. That's not what I would consider to be wholesome entertainment.

I am not against depictions of monsters and evil things mind you, so long as their context is sound and if you are actively fighting against these. But one should always be cautious.
Slavic Sorcerer

Nooneatall wrote: February 13th, 2024, 20:15
You could make this argument about anything.
This is usually where Christians lose me, that are really on point with a ton of morals and stuff but then we vear off into territory that doesn't make sense.
Why should we shun violence? Why shouldn't we be proud? Why should we not play a game where we fight and kill demons (ostensibly the enemies of God and Jesus)?
Yeah
I like the part where the 5th commandment is "Thou shall not kill" cause life is sacred...
...but at the same time people were punished by death...
...death punishment was recommended for a lot of things...
...yeah those arguments tend lose their impact :notsureif:

I expressed my view before (rather disgracefully I might add, but I broke my nail that day, I paid good money to have it done), but to cut story short - it serves overzealous Christians no good to make mountains out of anthills.
Doom example is best. Calling it satanic is idiotic. You literally kill demons. Archangel Raphael would be proud.

To me, the greatest danger to one's soul is when they treat something demonic as legit
Like, reading Harry Potter and have fun reading a fun story, and reading Harry Potter and unironically believing if you attempt to cast Alohomora enough times you'll open your parent's secret stash
Element

Post by Element »

I'm not sure how widely the term satanic could be cast. If a game has dubious deities that accept offerings in exchange of granting powers to the player, would that be enough to qualify the game?

Regardless, Fear and Hunger belongs I think. It has the worshipping of evil deities, very dark imagery, and acclimatises the player to many abhorrent acts as simply game mechanics - cannibalism, flaying, torture, potential merging of flesh of two bodies into one etc. But I don't hold it against it - it does what it does well, depicting a bleak world without salvation.
Last edited by Element on February 13th, 2024, 20:31, edited 2 times in total.
KnightoftheWind

Those who make superficial, reddit-tier judgements about the Christian faith have no business discussing their "opinions" of it, that's a fact. And you misunderstand my position, I am not speaking as a protestant preacher who is upset about Harry Potter, but the themes of some works are questionable. I am not saying playing these games or watching those movies or reading those books will send you to hell, but you should always practice sound judgement and consider what these games are about, what the imagery is, and what themes they contain. Killing God as a final boss in any game is a no-go for me, some people might not mind that and can still enjoy the rest of the game, but it is a common enough occurrence in JRPGs to be concerning. And why I avoid the genre and recommend most others do.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

Games that encourage people to stop thinking and learning (strategy, ways to organize information in pleasing ways, etc.) are degrading; you could say they serve satanic roles, depending on your perspective.
Last edited by Dead on February 13th, 2024, 21:51, edited 1 time in total.
KnightoftheWind

I wouldn't go that far. Mindlessly staring at a minimap in an RPG for instance is just bad, lazy design. Not inherently evil. It just disrespects your intelligence and ability to be immersed in the act of actually playing the game (i.e situational awareness).

You could say that mindlessly killing realistically rendered soldiers in a Call of Duty game is questionable though, because it desensitises you to the imagery of seeing another man gunned down. In fact, I believe the U.S military did at one time use Call of Duty as a recruitment campaign of sorts. And I would imagine it has some impact on enrolment as well, prior to the military being trannified at least. People of course scoff whenever you bring this up, because they're apparently 2 samrt 2 be controled. But everyone is affected by media in someway, everyone. There's a reason trannies watch a lot of anime, after all.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I think that storyfags of all cultures are stupid and edgey and fall hard for the Hero vs GOD story, because it raises stakes without any effort. They also get off on showing off they read obscure occult shit, like /lit/ loves Guenon.
Slavic Sorcerer

KnightoftheWind wrote: February 13th, 2024, 20:34
Those who make superficial, reddit-tier judgements about the Christian faith have no business discussing their "opinions" of it, that's a fact. And you misunderstand my position, I am not speaking as a protestant preacher who is upset about Harry Potter, but the themes of some works are questionable. I am not saying playing these games or watching those movies or reading those books will send you to hell, but you should always practice sound judgement and consider what these games are about, what the imagery is, and what themes they contain. Killing God as a final boss in any game is a no-go for me, some people might not mind that and can still enjoy the rest of the game, but it is a common enough occurrence in JRPGs to be concerning. And why I avoid the genre and recommend most others do.
Your position is much more understandable when you explain it like this.
Aside from very not pro-free speech stance similar to our (possibly roleplaying as) orthodox co-user, I do agree - surprisingly.

If killing God is a no-go zone for you due to faith, I can sympathize with that
I wouldn't touch a game that convinces me neogenders are real every step either
Or glorify communism

And people should exercise caution and keep in mind those are just games, not reality.
If someone's stance/opinion changes just because their fav fictional character said so...well, I dont think its a good thing, regardless what this stance is

Unfortunately, darkness good-holyness bad trend comes out of Berserk
Great manga in it's own right, but copycats of this theme dont know how to work with it as skillflly

I'm curious
Dark Souls series involves gods made up for the series, so not Christian one.
Message is murky as with every Miyazaki series, but it can be boiled down to "gods want to keep themselves in power, it's up to you to invoke age of mankind or age of gods"

Is it still okay in your books? Or the sole motif of killing god - no matter if it's made up, from other cultures, or Christian - still a no-go zone?
Slavic Sorcerer

maidenhaver wrote: February 13th, 2024, 22:22
I think that storyfags of all cultures are stupid and edgey and fall hard for the Hero vs GOD story, because it raises stakes without any effort. They also get off on showing off they read obscure occult shit, like /lit/ loves Guenon.
I do like my some human vs Eldritch Horror/God stories, but for the uncanny feeling as I'm a sucker for Lovecraftian horror

I agree it raises the stakes without any effort whatsoever. Its poor storywriting
If it reaches the level of hero vs godly power of creating the sun, the moon, and the stars...the only way it can end is with the failure of the hero
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Slavic Sorcerer wrote: February 13th, 2024, 22:30
I'm curious
Message is murky as with every Miyazaki series, but it can be boiled down to "gods want to keep themselves in power, it's up to you to invoke age of mankind or age of gods"

Is it still okay in your books? Or the sole motif of killing god - no matter if it's made up, from other cultures, or Christian - still a no-go zone?
Killing fallible pagan gods doesn't bother me at all. It's only when the enemy is a deliberate stand-in for the Christian God do I feel it extremely off-putting. I almost didn't play the SMT games because of it—the only way I could put up with it was remembering that Japs don't have a clue what Christianity is actually about and that the world presented is gnostic anyway, so the 'god' presented is their idea of the demiurge, not God.

Interestingly, I recall reading that the director—I think, can't find where I read it now—of the SMT series actually belives Hebrew myth is the root of all world mythology, which is why their false depictions of YHWH and Lucifer are given the prime positions.
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

Slavic Sorcerer wrote: February 13th, 2024, 22:36
maidenhaver wrote: February 13th, 2024, 22:22
I do like my some human vs Eldritch Horror/God stories, but for the uncanny feeling as I'm a sucker for Lovecraftian horror

I agree it raises the stakes without any effort whatsoever. Its poor storywriting
If it reaches the level of hero vs godly power of creating the sun, the moon, and the stars...the only way it can end is with the failure of the hero
Slavic Sorcerer

WhiteShark wrote: February 13th, 2024, 22:45
I'm curious

Killing fallible pagan gods doesn't bother me at all. It's only when the enemy is a deliberate stand-in for the Christian God do I feel it extremely off-putting. I almost didn't play the SMT games because of it—the only way I could put up with it was remembering that Japs don't have a clue what Christianity is actually about and that the world presented is gnostic anyway, so the 'god' presented is their idea of the demiurge, not God.

Interestingly, I recall reading that the director—I think, can't find where I read it now—of the SMT series actually belives Hebrew myth is the root of all world mythology, which is why their false depictions of YHWH and Lucifer are given the prime positions.
Made me think of this meme

Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

Slavic Sorcerer wrote: February 13th, 2024, 22:55
I'm curious

Westerners think Yin Yang and kung fu and pandas and katanas and samurai are cool but they don't almost always portray them villainously.
Slavic Sorcerer

Val the Moofia Boss wrote: February 13th, 2024, 22:58
Slavic Sorcerer wrote: February 13th, 2024, 22:55

Westerners think Yin Yang and kung fu and pandas and katanas and samurai are cool but they don't almost always portray them villainously.
I'd assume for Japs it's more important to write a story than the butthurt it may cause
Christian motif is portrayed in both good and bad lights; be it as the main story or having good characters with Christian theme

Gonna compose a list of anime where it's the good later on
Last edited by Slavic Sorcerer on February 13th, 2024, 23:08, edited 1 time in total.