We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Hogwarts Legacy — That RPG that's really upsetting people who liked Harry Potter

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 8th, 2023, 08:43
Dead wrote: February 8th, 2023, 08:42
Why wouldn't the bartender make his voice higher pitched with magic? Makes no sense
Same reason he didn't just magic himself a vagina, it's clownworld logic. Like putting a transgender person in a game with magic that allows you to swap your sex.
It'd be insensitive. This is the voice actress (formerly actor). It's this person's natural voice (though the game seems to be recorded/mixed poorly and makes it sound deeper than it should)

Fargus wrote: February 8th, 2023, 08:53
7 years ago people were asking the same question about tranny from Siege of Dragonspear. Like, why didnt that retarded tranny used the magic or some item of gender swap or asked some wizard to trannify her or whatever?

Because they have an agenda to push down your throat. Thats why.
I'm pretty sure that character did? It's actually pretty expensive for normies in the setting. Adventuring parties are exceptional.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

Roguey wrote: February 8th, 2023, 12:43
rusty_shackleford wrote: February 8th, 2023, 08:43
Dead wrote: February 8th, 2023, 08:42
Why wouldn't the bartender make his voice higher pitched with magic? Makes no sense
Same reason he didn't just magic himself a vagina, it's clownworld logic. Like putting a transgender person in a game with magic that allows you to swap your sex.
It'd be insensitive. This is the voice actress (formerly actor). It's this person's natural voice (though the game seems to be recorded/mixed poorly and makes it sound deeper than it should)

Fargus wrote: February 8th, 2023, 08:53
7 years ago people were asking the same question about tranny from Siege of Dragonspear. Like, why didnt that retarded tranny used the magic or some item of gender swap or asked some wizard to trannify her or whatever?

Because they have an agenda to push down your throat. Thats why.
I'm pretty sure that character did? It's actually pretty expensive for normies in the setting. Adventuring parties are exceptional.

You can literally find gender swap belt on some trash mob or you can piss off some grand wizard and claim how you're the most masculine man (just act like andrew tate) ever lived so he will transition you as a punishment. I'm sure there are ways if one wants to.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

Fargus wrote: February 8th, 2023, 13:07
You can literally find gender swap belt on some trash mob or you can piss off some grand wizard and claim how you're the most masculine man (just act like andrew tate) ever lived so he will transition you as a punishment. I'm sure there are ways if one wants to.
That belt sells for 200 gp. Like I said, that's quite a lot of money for a normie.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

Roguey wrote: February 8th, 2023, 15:19
That belt sells for 200 gp. Like I said, that's quite a lot of money for a normie.
Wasn't that guy a priest in full armor though? Not just some scrub peasant. 200 gp is a joke for someone like that. At the very least he could whore himself to perverts to save up some money for drugs and tranny belt.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

Fargus wrote: February 8th, 2023, 15:28
Wasn't that guy a priest in full armor though? Not just some scrub peasant. 200 gp is a joke for someone like that. At the very least he could whore himself to perverts to save up some money for drugs and tranny belt.
The SoD tranner had already transitioned. The problem is that initially in your very first conversation you'd get the "btw I used to be a guy" dialogue. They changed it so you didn't get that until well into the game after you returned a missing item.
Ratcatcher
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ratcatcher »

There's a similar item in Pathfinder, the cost is higher but one could argue it's much easier to come up with the money, if you're not a complete bloke.
That didn't stop the authors of Wrath of the Righteous (the module) from writing that cringe dialogue about Anevia requiring a costly supply of alchemical concoctions (never specified nor named anywhere else in the setting).
I remember there was some tepid demand for an explanation but the usual accusation of "you secretly want to fuck spiders" flew all around and the best we got was "it was made to make her experience special, unique and meaningful" or smth like that. Literally just because.

I had written it before already but I think Owlcat realized how fucking cringe that whole blurb is and hid it away in a decently deep dialogue tree, as to only allow those truly interested in Anevia' backstory to read it. It's very much in-your-face in the module. Ofc a GM can ignore it but there's the opportunity cost, on top of the moronic takes on gender issues.
The module is deeply pozzed all the way through tho, this is only one of the most blatant pandering.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

Roguey wrote: February 8th, 2023, 15:31
The SoD tranner had already transitioned. The problem is that initially in your very first conversation you'd get the "btw I used to be a guy" dialogue. They changed it so you didn't get that until well into the game after you returned a missing item.
At least you could gib them...
"Sorry thought you were a doppleganger spy from the crusade.."

In Hogwarts I can't do anything but smash a few pots, I knew they wouldn't let me kill important NPC's, but I thought I could at least float people in the air and throw them around. Missed Opportunity.
Mortmal

Post by Mortmal »

Segata Sanshiro wrote: February 8th, 2023, 18:25
Is this an RPG or an "RPG"?
Its very rpg lite, no stats besides your gear, some dialogue choices. But it's a game you can have some fun with, lot more than can be said with most AAA releases.
Konjad

Post by Konjad »

The most discussed game in RPG forum on this site. This tells a lot.
Ratcatcher
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ratcatcher »

Konjad wrote: February 8th, 2023, 19:44
It's currently one of the Hot Topics on the codex too. The only difference is there you have people unironically praising it and others lamenting that all the memes and fun shit posted about the game are "ruining game discussions".

Make of it what you want. I posted 3 times ITT and I feel the shame.
Lhynn
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Lhynn »

Its new and it makes troons seethe.
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

This game wouldn't have gotten the attention or the sales it's gotten if it wasn't for the woke mob going after it. The real irony here is that this game is more woke than Forspoken, yet that game gets attacked by the right and praised by the left.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

Wait a few more months for Starfield and BG3 to dwarf the discussion.
somerandomdude wrote: February 8th, 2023, 19:51
This game wouldn't have gotten the attention or the sales it's gotten if it wasn't for the woke mob going after it. The real irony here is that this game is more woke than Forspoken, yet that game gets attacked by the right and praised by the left.
There are millions of Potter fans who don't care one way or the other about the creator. The reason she can say those unorthodox things without reprisal is because she retained ownership of a thing that continues to bring in massive amounts of money.
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

Roguey wrote: February 8th, 2023, 20:14
There are millions of Potter fans who don't care one way or the other about the creator.
That's besides the point, it's the controversy surrounding this game that has gotten it more attention than it would have otherwise gotten. And even non-HP fans have been drawn into it, and that can only equate to more sales IMO.
The reason she can say those unorthodox things without reprisal is because she retained ownership of a thing that continues to bring in massive amounts of money.
Other than getting death threats daily by the woke mob, her speaking out created a firestorm of controversy that led to her label getting more attention = more money.
viata

Post by viata »

Mortmal wrote: February 8th, 2023, 19:06
Segata Sanshiro wrote: February 8th, 2023, 18:25
Is this an RPG or an "RPG"?
Its very rpg lite, no stats besides your gear, some dialogue choices. But it's a game you can have some fun with, lot more than can be said with most AAA releases.
Should move this thread to General Video Games, then. Or make a sub-forum called "RPG" for any game that dev says it's an RPG when it's not. This image defines those games:
Mortmal

Post by Mortmal »

I just unlocked a bit more of the game you get talents points to invest in trees, so there's some build to be made. Like going full dark magic and get combos of maledictions. All in all it's as much a rpg or more than witcher 3, with in my opinion much better combat.Chain attacks like levitate enemy, pull them to you and close incineration for exemple, or push them away and use range spells. When it comes to action rpgs its fairly good.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

Mortmal wrote: February 9th, 2023, 00:44
I just unlocked a bit more of the game you get talents points to invest in trees, so there's some build to be made. Like going full dark magic and get combos of maledictions. All in all it's as much a rpg or more than witcher 3, with in my opinion much better combat.Chain attacks like levitate enemy, pull them to you and close incineration for exemple, or push them away and use range spells. When it comes to action rpgs its fairly good.
Witcher 3 had quite a bit of reactivity. Reading https://www.dualshockers.com/hogwarts-l ... ot-an-rpg/ this is barely a step above Horizon Zero Dawn.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

I watched 3 streamers going through the beginning area of this game, and they all made different decisions, but still ended up in the same place. I mean, I understand I've probably watched the tutorial section of the game, but, so far, this game seems to have VERY poor C&C.

Again... this feels a lot like an action-adventure game, rather than an RPG.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

The_Mask wrote: February 9th, 2023, 21:35
I watched 3 streamers going through the beginning area of this game, and they all made different decisions, but still ended up in the same place. I mean, I understand I've probably watched the tutorial section of the game, but, so far, this game seems to have VERY poor C&C.

Again... this feels a lot like an action-adventure game, rather than an RPG.
The link I posted up above says it doesn't have any. It has a Good Ending and an Evil ending which is based entirely on a single decision you make before the final boss and after that they both get the same True ending once you've done all the sidequests (also the same major character dies in both scenarios to make things easier for the writers/scripters).

Not even any Persona-style high school sim mechanics. They kept the scope narrow to Ubi-style collect-a-thon.
Mortmal

Post by Mortmal »

There's nothing depresing, its a very polished and fun console game, it's way above the usual, sometime i'd say it reach the quality of a zelda . Of course it could get better plot with less tropes and be more adult, but i guess its too risky and viewed as not viable anymore.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

Mortmal wrote: February 9th, 2023, 23:29
There's nothing depresing, its a very polished and fun console game, it's way above the usual, sometime i'd say it reach the quality of a zelda . Of course it could get better plot with less tropes and be more adult, but i guess its too risky and viewed as not viable anymore.
Is gaming in that bad of a state??

It's got some great graphics and the combat is impressively fairly good as a representation of what you'd expect from the world..

But the "Open World" is shit.. and the game is almost 90% a linear story line. The idea of like making friends or enemies and actually being a student of hogwarts that attends class, goes to events in the school, competes in house shenanigans - AKA "The immersive experience 99% of Harry Potter fans want.." is thrown away in the first 10 minutes.

It's a big budget game but they should of diverted that budget more into the immersion of being a student at Hogwarts vs some "Le Epic Pulled From Ass" story.. also shrink the "Open World" by half and add way more content..

EDIT

Full Day / Night cycle but there's a "Wait for Random NPC" waypoint next to every quest. The cycles of days means nothing. You attend class purely as a quest progression, everything is pre-canned cutscenes, you have basically zero agency or choice in anything.

You rarely get to experience hanging out in your dorm room and bullshitting with your friends or plotting to fuck around with another house.

In fact your house is 99% cosmetic. It purely changes your clothing styles and <insert house here> dialogue. AKA it's meaningless.

Huge missed opportunity. The story is shit too - I wish they would of diverted half the money that went into the story towards everything else.

► Show Spoiler
The_Mask wrote: February 9th, 2023, 21:59
Depressing that it sold so much...
Having it sell a lot means a few things:

- Harry Potter games of this magnitude (vs cheap movie adaption trash) are financially viable
- Trans communities don't affect sales much when they REEEE.

I don't think anyone is correlating sales to the gameplay that they hid in marketing. If anything, high sales means we get another kick at the can - although I would hope the people who bought it are very vocal about the ubishit experience they got out of it.

If Harry Potter Part 2 : The exploration of Empty World - sells gang busters, we are fucked. It means any horse shit with the HP brand on it will make huge profits - so no need to try.

TL;DR - I have hope.. but not holding my breath.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Shillitron wrote: February 9th, 2023, 23:33
Having it sell a lot means a few things:

- Harry Potter games of this magnitude (vs cheap movie adaption trash) are financially viable
- Trans communities don't affect sales much when they REEEE.

I don't think anyone is correlating sales to the gameplay that they hid in marketing. If anything, high sales means we get another kick at the can - although I would hope the people who bought it are very vocal about the ubishit experience they got out of it.

If Harry Potter Part 2 : The exploration of Empty World - sells gang busters, we are fucked. It means any horse shit with the HP brand on it will make huge profits - so no need to try.

TL;DR - I have hope.. but not holding my breath.
The game was going to sell well regardless, since this was the first HP game not directly tied to the movies. I'm actually amazed it took this long for WB to decide to cash-in on something like this, instead of doing so years back when the Potter craze was at its height.

Unless they fuck up in major way, the sequel is going to sell well too. But that is to be expected from AAA releases with even a modicum of polish, especially if they offer something "fresh".

I am more interested in the ramifications, if any, of troons going absolutely insane over this game, hysterically screeching to the high heavens and telling the whole internet that buying the game is equal to asking for genocide of the most holy (current) sacred cow of the West, and still not impacting the sales at all, or perhaps even boosting exposure and units sold since lots of people seem to have bought the game simply to spite the troons.

Will the industry look at this and realize that trying to pander and mollify these people only makes things worse and that they have no power to actually affect sales unless you decide to listen to their demands? Perhaps a few developers will try to distance themselves from virtue signaling, especially with the worsening economic situation, but I doubt most of the woke apparatchiks infesting the industry will much care.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

These companies are not including woke ideology for profit, although profit may be the justification they use to promote it. They have an agenda that's becoming obvious to everyone except the braindead, and they would've tried to make it subtler if they had been less out of touch.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Being surprised this sold well is like being surprised a half-way decent LotR game would be a top seller. Video games with a popular IP don't need to be great to sell well, they just need to not suck and the IP carries the rest.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 10th, 2023, 13:46
Being surprised this sold well is like being surprised a half-way decent LotR game would be a top seller.
i wouldn't be so sure about LotR videogame being top sellers, not after the damage the brand have sustained due to years of EA fuckery and the recent fiasco from Amazon. Even the supposedly good Assassin's Creed: Middle-Earth games from Monolith, while being financially successful, didn't break any records.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

wndrbr wrote: February 10th, 2023, 14:00
rusty_shackleford wrote: February 10th, 2023, 13:46
Being surprised this sold well is like being surprised a half-way decent LotR game would be a top seller.
i wouldn't be so sure about LotR videogame being top sellers, not after the damage the brand have sustained due to years of EA fuckery and the recent fiasco from Amazon. Even the supposedly good Assassin's Creed: Middle-Earth games from Monolith, while being financially successful, didn't break any records.
Shadow of Mordor did very well, Shadow of War was just a rehash of their previous title and didn't do so well.
Mortmal

Post by Mortmal »

Shillitron wrote: February 9th, 2023, 23:33
Mortmal wrote: February 9th, 2023, 23:29
Is gaming in that bad of a state??
Mainstream gaming ? Yes in a catastrophic state,i think the latest AAA game i bought was elden ring. Look at latest new releases, forspoken, high price, unimpressive graphics, absurd specs requirements and woke enforced. That's coming from square enix . The line up of next gen consoles was far from impressive , the pS5 ? no exclusivity, pS5 vr has a line up of quest 2 games.
Have a look at ubisoft stocks, if it collapsed there's reasons, many games delayed, the new release dont sell that much , of course they dont its the same gameplay reskinned.

So hogwart legacy despite the lack of reactivity and intrigue, that i completely agree with you, looks like a wonder in this day and age. It's a very railroaded, hardly open world as everything get slowly unlocked once at a time. But a polished and fun game still with lot of attention to details.