We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Hogwarts Legacy — That RPG that's really upsetting people who liked Harry Potter

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Prediction: gamedevs will use those mods as an excuse to lock down modding capabilities to prevent "spreading harm" or somesuch nonsense, and use it as the basis to sell approved mods.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

Maybe that's why they didn't let people make pale or very dark characters. This was an unusual omission in character creation.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Shillitron wrote: February 15th, 2023, 14:51
I wonder if a new modding site will erupt from all this. All the current ones have been completely co-opted.
Nexus, ModDB, LL are all guilty.
Already has
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Tweed wrote: February 16th, 2023, 01:01
I wonder if a new modding site will erupt from all this. All the current ones have been completely co-opted.
Already has
Somehow I don't think this is going to work very well as a long-term solution but I am glad to see these preserved.
NEG
Turtle
Turtle

Post by NEG »

Tweed wrote: February 16th, 2023, 01:01
Already has
lol, even the voice mod just pitches up the voice got removed? trannies are so sensitive.

That AI voice sounds pretty decent though. The AI is actually a better voice actor.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Dead wrote: February 16th, 2023, 00:50
Maybe that's why they didn't let people make pale or very dark characters. This was an unusual omission in character creation.
Pretty cool that a game set in Scotland can't even make characters that represent some of the native inhabitants.

https://www.pcgamer.com/players-are-mod ... ers-paler/
Yet another fantasy world that lacks Nordic representation?
Nordic
Have these people ever seen a Scottish or Irish person in their life?
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

Highly unlikely.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Some thoughts from my friend (slightly condensed) who has recently evolved from just sort of liking things to having critical thoughts about games:
Friend wrote:
everything in it is surface level and could be better
That's probably the best description, I suppose
it's certainly not an RPG despite having many elements
I was literally just having a long conversation with friend about this game from a development perspective. We agreed that almost everything misses the mark. Combat is pretty fun and definitely the best feature, but at times it's pretty frustrating to control
it's the best Harry Potter game that I know anything about and I think it does the pandering a bit too much, but
it's like the movie remake of anything: casual fans will feel nostalgia about bits and pieces of the universe, the script is w.e that's not really the draw, and it's kind of what you would expect.
Hype aside, I don't think anybody thought "THIS IS GONNA BE SOOOO MUCH BETTER THAN ELDEN RING"
this game does like to hit you with the "ooh! shiny thing over there!"
before heavily disappointing you with the loot
it's like beyond worthless
there's field guide pages to find in this
but you only need maybe 75 to complete the full challenge for unlockable stuff
and the school alone has 150
im at like 100 and it's not even keeping track any more
sort of
it tracks total, but there's no milestone popups any more
im just impressed that I've found so much and done "everything" and it's still giving me old dried up crumbs of things to find
Me wrote:
Can't let anybody feel left out because they didn't get enough things to unlock everything
Friend wrote:
mmmmm
yeah i don't like that
And a fun bug:

Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

Wow, turns out people outside of twitter don't care about twitter outrage
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of those outraged twitter people bought the game.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

Dead wrote: February 16th, 2023, 17:21
I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of those outraged twitter people bought the game.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

Segata Sanshiro wrote: February 16th, 2023, 17:33
Dead wrote: February 16th, 2023, 17:21

Lmfaooo
Luckmann
Hamster
Hamster

Post by Luckmann »

Hahaha, he couldn't even wait for it to be pirated.
Lhynn
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Lhynn »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 16th, 2023, 03:13
Dead wrote: February 16th, 2023, 00:50
Pretty cool that a game set in Scotland can't even make characters that represent some of the native inhabitants.

https://www.pcgamer.com/players-are-mod ... ers-paler/
Yet another fantasy world that lacks Nordic representation?
Nordic
Found this little site with all the removed controversial mods, for this game and a few others.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

I can probably add a downloads section to HQ for mods if there's interest, depending on how much bandwidth it would use. The forum isn't even using .1% of the server's bandwidth allotment.
NEG
Turtle
Turtle

Post by NEG »

Decided to look up some reviews after seeing someone play it on YT. Imagine my shock. When I saw all the puzzles people were solving and how you could just spam spells, I realized this was probably going to be an adventure game with some DS-lite combat sprinkled in. No consequence to choices. Combat looks easy. Again, I see no reason to play it other than to larp Harry Potter.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

Latest Ass Creed games are probably more of an RPG than this one
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 17th, 2023, 02:41
I can probably add a downloads section to HQ for mods if there's interest, depending on how much bandwidth it would use. The forum isn't even using .1% of the server's bandwidth allotment.
You could always try it and then deal with it at a later date if it's using too much bandwidth? I doubt it would be a problem if it's limited to members only.
Stavrophore

Post by Stavrophore »

Barring all this drama, is this game a good game on its own, if you are not harry potter fan and has basically no knowledge of the lore?
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

Stavrophore wrote: February 22nd, 2023, 18:56
Barring all this drama, is this game a good game on its own, if you are not harry potter fan and has basically no knowledge of the lore?
Seems pretty popamolish from what I've seen
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

seems like a competently made, but barebones ubisoft-like collectathon game. Mainstream likes it because it's peppered with tons of fanservice.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

These negative reviews have nothing to do with the game which goes against Steam's policy, but they won't be removed.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

No. The game is mainly a giant collectathon except the loot is worthless; it's full of pozz and loaded with (unskippable) custscenes; combat is the best part but still laughably easy on hard; and your own character handholds you through puzzles via voicelines.