We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

The book thread.

Movies? TV shows? Books? Comics? Music? It goes here.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

I have very particular taste, so I did a lot of re-reading this year. I usually have 2 books I'm reading and an audiobook/dramatization at any given time, so this isn't comprehensive:

Several Poul Anderson books.

Robert Louis Stevenson: Kidnapped, Catriona, and The Master of Ballantrae.

I also picked up some new things:

H. Rider Haggard's She. The only other of his I've read was King Solomon's Mines. She is better, I think (simps beware!).

I read several of David Gemmel's books on @Kalarion's recommendation. I started with Legend and it is excellent. His best book by far, I think. I also picked up most of the Drenai series, and I've read about halfway through those. Somewhere, I think the Gemmel's website, recommended reading in chronological order, which was a mistake. I started with Knights of Dark Renown and finished the 3rd Waylander book. I'm going to skip the Druss backstories - he seems most interesting to me as an old man - and hopefully finish the series next year. Comfortable reading.

I pre-ordered Tim Powers most recent book (My Brother's Keeper) in September, but realized that his next most recent books, the Vickery and Castile series, is now in paperback. I wanted to read those before starting on the new one. They are average, but an average Tim Powers book is a great book compared to most other authors. They feel like he is rehashing some of his themes from his older, better works.

For next year:

I've picked up an omnibus edition of the Lord Darcy books. There are some in there I've never read.

There's a newish book called Haelend's Ballad, which I admit to picking up based mostly on the title. It's a doorstop, but it has several good reviews, so we'll see.

I'm also planning on re-reading Augustine's Confessions next year, and maybe some Sherlock Holmes novels. I like ACD's historical fiction better than Holmes, so I might read those insstead.
Last edited by Acrux on December 30th, 2023, 05:24, edited 3 times in total.
Wretch

Post by Wretch »

I’m reading Art of Prayer by Igumen Chariton right now and it’s hands down the best primer on true prayer and the spiritual life I have read.

I recently finished God Where is the Wound and At the Ringing of the Bells. The first is a glimpse into what a genuine spiritual life in Christ looks like in our extremely confused and broken modern age by a Romanian Schema-nun and the second is about the new Martyrs of Optina, their lives, and subsequent miracles after their repose. I strongly recommend God Where is the Wound to everyone regardless of faith or denomination. The book really cuts through to the heart of what real faith and love looks like.

I think my next books will be The Arena and Unseen Warfare, as I keep getting recommended to read them and told they’re up my alley by people.

Death Object: Exploding the Nuclear Weapons Hoax Is a really interesting nonfiction read. It makes a pretty good case for nukes being a psyop and anyone clear sighted on the holocaust or zionists will recognize their influence in the matter through the evidence presented. Only other nonfiction I would read besides spiritual books are car manuals for cars I own.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Wretch wrote: December 30th, 2023, 05:15
I’m reading Art of Prayer by Igumen Chariton right now and it’s hands down the best primer on true prayer and the spiritual life I have read.

I recently finished God Where is the Wound and At the Ringing of the Bells. The first is a glimpse into what a genuine spiritual life in Christ looks like in our extremely confused and broken modern age by a Romanian Schema-nun and the second is about the new Martyrs of Optina, their lives, and subsequent miracles after their repose. I strongly recommend God Where is the Wound to everyone regardless of faith or denomination. The book really cuts through to the heart of what real faith and love looks like.

I think my next books will be The Arena and Unseen Warfare, as I keep getting recommended to read them and told they’re up my alley by people.

Death Object: Exploding the Nuclear Weapons Hoax Is a really interesting nonfiction read. It makes a pretty good case for nukes being a psyop and anyone clear sighted on the holocaust or zionists will recognize their influence in the matter through the evidence presented. Only other nonfiction I would read besides spiritual books are car manuals for cars I own.
Fiction. All of it.
Wretch

Post by Wretch »

Rand wrote: December 30th, 2023, 06:30

Fiction. All of it.
God is very real and He will forgive you if you would only humble yourself and ask Him.
A Chinese opium den

Post by A Chinese opium den »

Death Object: Exploding the Nuclear Weapons Hoax Is a really interesting nonfiction read. It makes a pretty good case for nukes being a psyop and anyone clear sighted on the holocaust or zionists will recognize their influence in the matter through the evidence presented.
I always was interested whenever I would see someone who claimed nukes were bullshit, but never actually saw anyone explain it so I just vaguely thought it could be true. Nice to finally have something to read about it.
Acrux wrote: December 30th, 2023, 04:38

H. Rider Haggard's She. The only other of his I've read was King Solomon's Mines. She is better, I think (simps beware!).
Delightful taste
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

I read several of David Gemmel's books on @Kalarion's recommendation. I started with Legend and it is excellent. His best book by far, I think.
Interesting. I thought it was cringe and dropped it pretty fast.
SiMtRy

Post by SiMtRy »

Reading Pynchon's Mason and Dixon to end the year, and start the new year.
Wretch

Post by Wretch »

A Chinese opium den wrote: December 30th, 2023, 07:45
Death Object: Exploding the Nuclear Weapons Hoax Is a really interesting nonfiction read. It makes a pretty good case for nukes being a psyop and anyone clear sighted on the holocaust or zionists will recognize their influence in the matter through the evidence presented.
I always was interested whenever I would see someone who claimed nukes were bullshit, but never actually saw anyone explain it so I just vaguely thought it could be true. Nice to finally have something to read about it.

Delightful taste
That was exactly my experience until reading it. Mind you I’m not some diehard “all nukes are fake” type but the evidence unfortunately follows the same pattern as the typical zionist trickery. Even including hefty prison time for Japanese people who deny nukes exist.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Wretch wrote: December 30th, 2023, 13:38

Delightful taste
That was exactly my experience until reading it. Mind you I’m not some diehard “all nukes are fake” type but the evidence unfortunately follows the same pattern as the typical zionist trickery. Even including hefty prison time for Japanese people who deny nukes exist.
if nukes are fake then space travel is also fake
Wretch

Post by Wretch »

Emphyrio wrote: December 30th, 2023, 14:51

Delightful taste
I don’t believe in space and NASA is just as reputable as a three letter agency.
Hauberk

Post by Hauberk »

Even including hefty prison time for Japanese people who deny nukes exist.
Do you have any source for this? Not that I deny your claim, but it would be interesting (and potentially useful) to have it in print. I mean, some direct translation of a law or similar other than that book.
Last edited by Hauberk on December 30th, 2023, 20:54, edited 1 time in total.
Wretch

Post by Wretch »

Hauberk wrote: December 30th, 2023, 20:52
Even including hefty prison time for Japanese people who deny nukes exist.
Do you have any source for this? Not that I deny your claim, but it would be interesting (and potentially useful) to have it in print. I mean, some direct translation of a law or similar other than that book.
My only source is the book. It seemed reputable to me and I’m pretty sure it cited where it’s from. I encourage you to read it, the book is good regardless of if you believe the contents or not. The reason I first read the book was some college professor got kicked out of his uni for being a moon landing and nuke denier and people claimed that made him racist and no different than holocaust deniers. So I said to myself hey this guy might be onto something and read this book.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Wretch wrote: December 30th, 2023, 21:53
It seemed reputable to me and I’m pretty sure it cited where it’s from.
If you have the book on hand, can you post the citation? I may read it myself at some point (I already think nukes aren't real) but search engines aren't giving me any useful hits on the topic of a law forbidding nuclear weapons denial in Japan.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I stopped believing in nukes when they said Indiana Jones survived one by hiding in a refrigerator.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

You can also just go to libgen.
ManjuShri
Turtle
Turtle

Post by ManjuShri »

Garth Marenghi’s TerrorTome: Dreamweaver, Doomsage, Sunday Times Bestseller is the funniest book I've read. I always wanted a full Garth Marenghi book back in the day, and this is pretty much it, in a Clive Barker's Hellraiseresque psycho-sexual BDSM horror about an ancient Tang dynasty cursed, yet highly erotic, typewriter. The audiobook is also read by Matthew Holness, so it's the best way to consume it.

Anyone have recommendations for books which don't just have comedic elements, but are outright full comedies?
Last edited by ManjuShri on January 18th, 2024, 02:27, edited 1 time in total.
A Chinese opium den

Post by A Chinese opium den »

I've been listening to a lot of audiobooks as I work or exercise lately so I've got some recommendations for anyone interested and will have youtube available audiobooks linked where applicable if you don't mind TTS or AI voice models reading some of them
On the nonfiction front I've been listening to a fair bit, but its mostly in the realm of what you'd expect a bigtime professional racist to read

The Art of Controversy by Schopenhauer is a good short read for anyone who enjoys arguments or at least cares to win them, the first half is basically a rundown on bad faith argument tactics and why everyone even the honest need to use them or at the least recognize them, and the last half are some of his unrelated essays
► Show Spoiler
The Mystery of the Grail and The Hermetic Tradition both by Evola are very good if your into that kind of thing and surprisingly easy to follow as long as you've got some prior knowledge in esoteric topics, it also helps if you have read some of his other work
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
The Curse of Canaan by Eustace Mullins is an entirely Christian angle on the JQ with the main points being that adamites were/are Aryans and the modern day jew is actually the canaanite tribe who have changed names many times infiltrating and eternally warring with the adamites, there's definitely some things frequent viewers of The Jew thread will already know in here but its worth reading for what you didn't already know or to just help connect things/as a refresher
► Show Spoiler
The Art of Being Ruled by Wyndham Lewis is a book I can't figure out how to describe it other than saying it's a very interesting and dare I say it, based book that covers a lot of subjects. I would recommend finishing it to anyone who is inclined to read/listen to more than 10 minutes of it.
► Show Spoiler
Unrestricted Warfare by 2 Chinamen is a Chinese military treatise written in 1999 about the emerging forms of warfare and the unprecedented way america wages war by spending exorbitant amounts on munitions and tech in an attempt to eliminate american casualties, and how to possibly counter this, a lot of applicability to the modern day, really makes you think about how much stock the CCP put in this :scratch:
► Show Spoiler
I haven't read as much fiction recently but here's a few I'd say are worth your time

Tai-Pan and Shogun by James Clavel are both historical fiction about the Orient and European characters interacting with it, both are fantastic at characterization and historical accuracy
Assorted Arthur Conan Doyle short stories all put together here, they're just fun and engaging reads. Greg Wagland has read almost everything the man has ever written, and he's got a great voice
► Show Spoiler
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

"It is a good thing to engage in philosophy just so far as it is an aid to education, and it is no disgrace for a youth to study it, but when a man who is now growing older still studies philosophy, the situation becomes ridiculous, Socrates, and I feel toward philosophers very much as I do toward those who lisp and play the child. When I see a little child, for whom it is still proper enough to speak in this way, lisping and playing, I like it and it seems to me pretty and ingenuous and appropriate to the child’s age, and when I hear it talk-ing with precision, it seems to me disagreeable and it vexes my ears and appears to me more fitting for a slave, but when one hears a grown man lisping and sees him playing the child, it looks ridiculous and unmanly and worthy of a beating. I feel exactly the same too about students of philosophy. When I see a youth engaged in it, I admire it and it seems to me natural and I consider such a man ingenuous, and the man who does not pursue it I regard as illiberal and one who will never aspire to any fine and noble deed, but when I see an older man still studying philosophy and not deserting it, that man, Socrates, is actually asking for a whipping. . . . Now I am quite friendly disposed toward you, Socrates, and I suppose I feel much as Zethus, whom I mentioned, felt toward Amphion in Euripides.
For I am moved to say to you the same kind of thing as he said to his brother, “You neglect, Socrates, what you most ought to care for, and pervert a naturally noble spirit by putting on a childlike semblance, and you could neither contribute a useful word in the councils of justice nor seize upon what is plausible and convincing, nor offer any brilliant advice on another’s behalf.”
DagothGeas5

Post by DagothGeas5 »

I used to read a lot before, and had books on occultism that I do not recall much of (herbs and alchemy and the likes as well, just recall a few of the pictures and the scent they had), also read short stories by Edgar Allan Poe, Heart of Darkness, and other such things, but mostly read history books that, though, alas, are now all lost to my memory. What I recall more are the 1000 Arabian Nights (which I also found here with, I think, a good translation) and some Turkish (I believe Turkish, but I am not certain) poetry. One such verse that I found again a few years ago was something like: "The trees kept voting for the axe, because it convinced them it was one of them for it had a handle made of wood." . I would love to read again when my mind will be clearer, this topic is so full of interesting reads I am overwhelmed! <3
Red7

Post by Red7 »

Emphyrio wrote: December 30th, 2023, 14:51

Delightful taste
this retard is actually semi correct tho. nukes are fake and by fake i mean energy is not based on break of atom core, its just non atomic, chemical reaction. ive read the guy who inveted "nukes" went along with jews that wanted to peddle narrative that khazarian clown known as albert ensitein had some contribution in "nuke" bomb development to promote his (mostly/largely) dogshit theory.

academics is utterly corrupted, incompetent and conformity based, quasi religious, jew run institution filled with retards. non retards usually cant handle the conformity bit.
Last edited by Red7 on January 25th, 2024, 14:27, edited 2 times in total.
Red7

Post by Red7 »

Wretch wrote: December 30th, 2023, 06:32
God is very real and He will forgive you if you would only humble yourself and ask Him.
im thinking about those space niggers that manifested entire star system with hostile aliens with their focus and thinking about all those retards like wretch and their pathological obsession of submission and servitude to superior non identified entity.

and im thinking about that "elemental et pehomon", ufos that even aliens cant identify and can project matter directly in any form. supposedly leak from another universe bubble rather than just parallel frequnecy layer.
but maybe its just manifested by retards like wretch cumulative focus. that would be really fucked up cause there is no telling what poorly defined interference like this could do, its possible even non hostile alien direct intervention could fail to contain situation.

either way its complete and utter clusterfuck.
Wretch

Post by Wretch »

DagothGeas5 wrote: January 24th, 2024, 16:06
I used to read a lot before, and had books on occultism that I do not recall much of (herbs and alchemy and the likes as well, just recall a few of the pictures and the scent they had), also read short stories by Edgar Allan Poe, Heart of Darkness, and other such things, but mostly read history books that, though, alas, are now all lost to my memory. What I recall more are the 1000 Arabian Nights (which I also found here with, I think, a good translation) and some Turkish (I believe Turkish, but I am not certain) poetry. One such verse that I found again a few years ago was something like: "The trees kept voting for the axe, because it convinced them it was one of them for it had a handle made of wood." . I would love to read again when my mind will be clearer, this topic is so full of interesting reads I am overwhelmed! <3
I think you would really enjoy a book called “The Brothers Karamazov”. It would make me very happy if you read it.
DagothGeas5

Post by DagothGeas5 »

Wretch wrote: January 25th, 2024, 03:03
I think you would really enjoy a book called “The Brothers Karamazov”. It would make me very happy if you read it.
I will! Thank you! For some reason I got up in the middle of the night with a feeling to check this site, I will take it as an added "call" for me to read it. I am also sorry the author's son died so young from what I read on Wikipedia about it.
Will let you know when I finish it if you wish, though it may take QUITE some time with me as I read for the pleasure of it, and when a book ends I am usually left stunned that it's over.

This reminds me, other good reads I recommend, though they were read to me, are: "Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog)" and "Il raggio verde" (the green ray).
I also hold a dear place for "Around the World in Eighty Days", but have no memory of the story, just of the feeling it left me with, which fills me with a dear nostalgia I can neither explain nor put to words.
Last edited by DagothGeas5 on January 25th, 2024, 04:11, edited 2 times in total.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

DagothGeas5 wrote: January 25th, 2024, 04:09
"Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog)"
2 recommendations if you like Jerome K. Jerome:
"Told After Supper" is a short collection of Christmas Ghost Stories that he wrote and incredibly funny
"To Say Nothing of the Dog" is a Connie Willis book set in her Oxford Time Travel series. It's a pastiche of JKJ and enjoyable if you like Victorian/Edwardian novels.
Wretch

Post by Wretch »

I will! Thank you! For some reason I got up in the middle of the night with a feeling to check this site, I will take it as an added "call" for me to read it. I am also sorry the author's son died so young from what I read on Wikipedia about it.
Will let you know when I finish it if you wish, though it may take QUITE some time with me as I read for the pleasure of it, and when a book ends I am usually left stunned that it's over.

This reminds me, other good reads I recommend, though they were read to me, are: "Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog)" and "Il raggio verde" (the green ray).
I also hold a dear place for "Around the World in Eighty Days", but have no memory of the story, just of the feeling it left me with, which fills me with a dear nostalgia I can neither explain nor put to words.
Thank you, friend. I look forwards to talking with you about it. Also, here is a song I like that always invokes a feeling of nostalgia in me. I hope you enjoy it too.

DagothGeas5

Post by DagothGeas5 »

Wretch wrote: January 25th, 2024, 04:18

Thank you, friend. I look forwards to talking with you about it. Also, here is a song I like that always invokes a feeling of nostalgia in me. I hope you enjoy it too.

I was browsing about in case I cannot find it locally, and noticed many celebrating about "new revised translations". With how the world is right now, I am very skeptical their "translations" are not "corrections" of what they dislike, so I wanted to ask: is there a version I should look for in particular? I would prefer reading it in the original language, but, though I can speak a little Polish and understand a bit of Russian, I am not fluent in cyrillic as of now.
Thank you for sharing the music as well! As for speaking, I, though I type/speak bricks of text, am actually quite a private person for many reasons, even if I love people, so I am unsure how much of a conversationalist I can be.
► Show Spoiler
Wretch

Post by Wretch »

DagothGeas5 wrote: January 25th, 2024, 04:29

I was browsing about in case I cannot find it locally, and noticed many celebrating about "new revised translations". With how the world is right now, I am very skeptical their "translations" are not "corrections" of what they dislike, so I wanted to ask: is there a version I should look for in particular? I would prefer reading it in the original language, but, though I can speak a little Polish and understand a bit of Russian, I am not fluent in cyrillic as of now.
Thank you for sharing the music as well! As for speaking, I, though I type/speak bricks of text, am actually quite a private person for many reasons, even if I love people, so I am unsure how much of a conversationalist I can be.
► Show Spoiler
Great choice. I listen to Gigli a lot when I shower. He’s definitely my favorite tenor.

Edit: I read the Garnett translation and liked it, think it was penguin classics published.
Last edited by Wretch on January 25th, 2024, 04:44, edited 1 time in total.
DagothGeas5

Post by DagothGeas5 »

Wretch wrote: January 25th, 2024, 04:32
DagothGeas5 wrote: January 25th, 2024, 04:29

► Show Spoiler
Great choice. I listen to Gigli a lot when I shower. He’s definitely my favorite tenor.
If I could, I would listen to Opera every second I live :lol:
" Lamentations ease the heart only by straining and exacerbating it more and more. Such grief does not even want consolation; it is nourished by the sense of its unquenchableness. Lamentations are simply the need to constantly irritate the wound. " a quote from the book I found, I can already tell this book will teach me much about things I cannot express, and help me see differently on many more. Thank you once more for bringing it to my attention! Also, seems the best translation is from Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsk, hope it will be alright.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

I just finished Who Fears the Devil, which I think is the fully collected Silver John stories by Manly Wade Wellman. There are actually several different collections of these stories and they all have a different set, so I'm not quite sure. I'd read a few of them in the past.

The main stories evoke the folklore of Appalachia and those areas really well. In between each one there's a one or two paragraph micro-story - those are excellent. The drawing for each story are very expressive in the 1st Edition Monster Manual kind of way. There's a nice Christmas story included, too.

Lots of good fun country talk. @rusty_shackleford you'd like it as it's stories about your people.