We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

We Who Are About To Die — Gladiator RPG

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

We Who Are About To Die — Gladiator RPG

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Any of you played this? Saw it on Steam because Update 2 just released.

Thoughts?
Lhynn
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Lhynn »

Ive played it extensively for a while, maybe 15 hours in.

Its a very challenging game with a strange physics based gameplay, basically the direction and speed of your swings matter, all controlled by your mouse and your skillpoints in said weapon.

Id say its barely more than a tech demo now, but very fun and addictive. Mastering the physics is the game, skill matters, git gud, etc. If you are into that, its very fun. Speed, reactions, gear, all gladiators become stronger and stronger as weeks go by, and you need to be able to keep up with the challenge and reach your goal, which depends on the backstory you chose, the character will die if he ever gets brought down, so prepare to lose many, many characters.
Luckmann
Hamster
Hamster

Post by Luckmann »

I haven't played it myself, and I'm not sure I'd categorize it as a CRPG, but I've only heard good things about it. I've got a friend that's been going mental over how good it supposedly is for about two weeks or so, so it can't be that bad.

I make it a point not to play or buy Early Access games, though, so I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I think I've only broken that principle once, and that was for Colony Ship.
Lhynn
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Lhynn »

Its a roguelike, the areas are the dungeons.
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

Lhynn wrote: February 5th, 2023, 23:14

Its a very challenging game with a strange physics based gameplay, basically the direction and speed of your swings matter, all controlled by your mouse and your skillpoints in said weapon.

Id say its barely more than a tech demo now, but very fun and addictive. Mastering the physics is the game, skill matters, git gud, etc. If you are into that, its very fun. Speed, reactions, gear, all gladiators become stronger and stronger as weeks go by, and you need to be able to keep up with the challenge and reach your goal, which depends on the backstory you chose, the character will die if he ever gets brought down, so prepare to lose many, many characters.
Is the combat anything like Exanima? In Exanima, you could step or turn/rotate into a swing to give it more impact.
Lhynn
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Lhynn »

somerandomdude wrote: February 8th, 2023, 20:09
Lhynn wrote: February 5th, 2023, 23:14

Is the combat anything like Exanima? In Exanima, you could step or turn/rotate into a swing to give it more impact.
Havent played Exanima, but from the blurb, yeah, should be similar at least.