We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Best character relation system in a video game?

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Best character relation system in a video game?

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Not romance, but how other characters perceive your character and each other.

Deadfiya had this:
Which I thought was neat. It also extended to companions themselves, who had relation scores with each other:

Too bad it didn't also extend to major characters, could have been interesting to see their relations change over the story and how it was impacted by your decisions or lack thereof.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

I prefer for such things to stay hidden.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

wndrbr wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 05:50
I prefer for such things to stay hidden.
Didn't quite mean the UI itself, but the mechanics behind it. A picture of the UI felt like the best way to represent what I meant.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

tbh I don't even know rpgs with similar mechanics. Chartable relations between characters is more of a VN/romance/anime harem thing.

Еhe only game that comes to mind is Alpha Protocol, but even then it's just a "good relations/bad relations" bar.
Thor Kaufman
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Jagged Alliance series
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Relationship mechanics in games are somehow both girly and autistic.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

Yeah, I'm playing PoE 2 right now as well, and I was actually thinking it's a pretty cool thing that you can sort of see how the game is trying to make you understand that the characters you pick up are their own, and that they develop relationships based on what they go through, and your own input.

I'm turning around on PoE 2 a bit. I used to think it was complete shit. Now I'm ranking it up to mediocre.

Maybe I'll end up liking it by the end? We'll see.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

The_Mask wrote: April 4th, 2023, 00:46
Yeah, I'm playing PoE 2 right now as well, and I was actually thinking it's a pretty cool thing that you can sort of see how the game is trying to make you understand that the characters you pick up are their own, and that they develop relationships based on what they go through, and your own input.

I'm turning around on PoE 2 a bit. I used to think it was complete shit. Now I'm ranking it up to mediocre.

Maybe I'll end up liking it by the end? We'll see.
It has a few good mechanics + is one of the best looking videogames ever created, but as a whole it's not very good imo.

Discarding mechanics for a moment, it really underscores how hard a bad story can hurt an RPG. Having a barebones story is a significant improvement over a bad one.