We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

DDO Free Dungeons Coupon

For RPGs that require a persistently online connection.
DagothGeas5

Post by DagothGeas5 »

Xenich wrote: February 27th, 2024, 20:36
One other thing, you get more points for stats on each reincarnation up to 36. I think it takes 3 reincarnations before you get to it, but this is a mechanic that has always been in the game from the start and I don't think they sell anything in the store to directly give this. Though there is I think a Veteran option that allows you to start your new character at level 7, but doesn't work for reincarnation, and it is earned in game at some point. Same with the Drow race, its earned by completing a certain quest line or getting to a certain total of quests can't remember.

Almost forgot, I think it is open to FTP... if it is, do borderlands rather than Korthos line, Korthos has been around from the start and doesn't represent the overall structure of the game as well as the new content. So if borderlands is available, most definitely do that.
I usually focus solely on playing for the sake of passing the time when I am sick, so unless I really grow attached, numbers and xp don't really matter to me as much as the story, how much mobs you can have the pleasure to exterminate at a time using simple means, and atmosphere.
As for the races, the Drow are classified as a free race in the wiki when I checked it, but it did not say anything about unlocking that I saw.
Thank you yet again for all the information!
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

DagothGeas5 wrote: February 27th, 2024, 20:45
Xenich wrote: February 27th, 2024, 20:36
One other thing, you get more points for stats on each reincarnation up to 36. I think it takes 3 reincarnations before you get to it, but this is a mechanic that has always been in the game from the start and I don't think they sell anything in the store to directly give this. Though there is I think a Veteran option that allows you to start your new character at level 7, but doesn't work for reincarnation, and it is earned in game at some point. Same with the Drow race, its earned by completing a certain quest line or getting to a certain total of quests can't remember.

Almost forgot, I think it is open to FTP... if it is, do borderlands rather than Korthos line, Korthos has been around from the start and doesn't represent the overall structure of the game as well as the new content. So if borderlands is available, most definitely do that.
I usually focus solely on playing for the sake of passing the time when I am sick, so unless I really grow attached, numbers and xp don't really matter to me as much as the story, how much mobs you can have the pleasure to exterminate at a time using simple means, and atmosphere.
As for the races, the Drow are classified as a free race in the wiki when I checked it, but it did not say anything about unlocking that I saw.
Thank you yet again for all the information!
Then this should be right up your alley then. The stories are fun, and massively diverse in topics due to the number of various settings available from AD&D and the modules they have implemented. There are lots of puzzles in the dungeons, secret walls, levels, traps, etc... The Ravenloft series is a blast.

Ok, it used to be locked, might be a change they made a while back and the previous system updates are still sending the text.

You will see various things in the mail about talking to a faction reward person. The first couple are just small little rewards, but I think some areas like Kundark lines open up bank space and other things. This used to be their primary method of opening up content as you played. I think they have more of a standard "Expansion" model now as their content release.

When you get in game, you should be able to open up the Adventure Compendium to look at various quests available to you.

Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Oh, here is a Character planner for you.

https://github.com/DDOCharPlanner/DDOCh ... 4/releases

I have used the first one previously, but there is another one here I saw.

https://forums.ddo.com/index.php?thread ... r-lite.97/

Second one has a crafting planner as well, so might be more up to date.
DagothGeas5

Post by DagothGeas5 »

► Show Spoiler
I am probably sounding like a broken record at this point, but thank you for all the information yet again!
I should probably get into the planner, as I have a tendency to make race and class combinations that prove to be a curse for my solo playstyle, no matter which game I play, but I wish to experience it as I usually do regardless and see where it goes. I am still cautious, but I will know for sure only after I start at this point.

EDIT: For the record, I am learning to place quoted messages into a spoiler because I fear I might take up unnecessary space by quoting everyone as I usually do, do not mind it :3
Last edited by DagothGeas5 on February 27th, 2024, 21:44, edited 1 time in total.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Also, if the quest is relatively simple and you did fine on Elite, give reaper 1 or 2 or even 3 a try. Reason is, unless they changed it, core enhancements work outside of reaper.

https://ddowiki.com/page/Reaper_enhancements

So, if you can make it work, it will help out a lot as you go up the levels.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

DagothGeas5 wrote: February 27th, 2024, 21:41
► Show Spoiler
I am probably sounding like a broken record at this point, but thank you for all the information yet again!
I should probably get into the planner, as I have a tendency to make race and class combinations that prove to be a curse for my solo playstyle, no matter which game I play, but I wish to experience it as I usually do regardless and see where it goes. I am still cautious, but I will know for sure only after I start at this point.

EDIT: For the record, I am learning to place quoted messages into a spoiler because I fear I might take up unnecessary space by quoting everyone as I usually do, do not mind it :3
Its helpful, but race/class isn't going to be a big mistake, the issue is more if you decide to multi-class, then it gets messy and you can seriously gimp yourself. They have balanced the classes fairly well where most classes can do well as a primary class (you can use a hireling to shore up some issues). Though if you start splitting off into other classes, DDO can be very unforgiving and you can seriously gimp yourself (I think this is the gimmick as people don't consider this, then start branching out, screw up and then have the problem of finishing up to 20 to before they reincarnate, or using the store to fix their mistake, its a hard choice).

Also, if by chance you ever decide to spend your points to buy a reincarnation to fix this issue, remember its not True reincarnation you are looking for, but Lesser and the +1, +2, etc.. signifies how many multi-class breaks you are dealing with as a simple Lesser Reincarnation will just allow you to start over your base class selection and modify things like skills, feats, etc.. each level). Ultimately, if you do this, make sure you read closely on the wiki about the process.

Edit: Be sure to check the DDO forums on various types of builds. You can use their advice as a template to work from. Should help for a more enjoyable play, though I would advise to stay simplistic. Its like the same advice with Underail and doing some types of builds that require extreme meta knowledge of the build and the approach to play. You could build it right, but playing it as a new player not fully understanding all the mechanics might produce a frustrating experience.
Last edited by Xenich on February 27th, 2024, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

As I said, monk is the easiest. Simple, interesting system, very powerful and has lots of tools for play (works great with a hireling as well). Most melee is going to be straight forward.

Careful on rogue, remember its an AD&D rogue, not a WoW one, it was very difficult to play when I played it last, but I think they have added some things to the enchantment trees to make it better suited for general combat. Keep in mind DDO's stealth game is a component of both visual and sound. You can be hidden, but make too much noise and they will hear you and come looking for you. Traps are the biggest issue, but many classes have a way to deal with them, though some very trap focused dungeons might be too rough at higher levels and you may need to step the difficulty down to finish it. Also, some modules have failure conditions and you can't simply bully through it. This can create difficulties for some class makeups. There is nothing wrong with skipping a dungeon that is not fit right for your class, plenty of content to be had.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

rogue is quite weak, but being able to detect traps is very strong. On higher difficulties those are instant death to anyone but barbarians.

If you've played other MMOs, it's nothing like those. Its closest comparison is probably NWN.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on February 27th, 2024, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Biggest mistake I see with DDO is players treating it like its an average MMO. You can't blow through the dungeons until you understand them really well, or at least have a character powerful enough which often takes numerous reincarnations, through heroics and epics. While DDO is much faster paced than it used to be, it was designed for parties to be careful in their approach, like they would if they were in a real AD&D adventure.

Oh, and don't forget to do the dungeons where Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson are narrating. They even have memorials to them at certain areas within their modules of the game.
Last edited by Xenich on February 27th, 2024, 22:26, edited 1 time in total.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 27th, 2024, 22:18
rogue is quite weak, but being able to detect traps is very strong. On higher difficulties those are instant death to anyone but barbarians.

If you've played other MMOs, it's nothing like those. Its closest comparison is probably NWN.
Yeah, straight rogue is rough. Most people just splash into it for various things and move on, though the recent enhancement changes they made a while back does have some interesting possibilities.

As for if someone wants all the balancing, and to be able to deal with traps like a rogue, Artificer is a great choice, lots of utility and balance, spells for healing, pew pew with the crossbow, etc...
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Xenich wrote: February 27th, 2024, 22:33

Yeah, straight rogue is rough. Most people just splash into it for various things and move on, though the recent enhancement changes they made a while back does have some interesting possibilities.

As for if someone wants all the balancing, and to be able to deal with traps like a rogue, Artificer is a great choice, lots of utility and balance, spells for healing, pew pew with the crossbow, etc...
My first reincarnation was to a Warforged artificer, it was quite strong. They get spells that let them heal constructs, and you are a construct.
Race matters a lot, btw. Way more than any MMO on the market.
Jordy

Post by Jordy »

I've got 61 mins playtime in this and zero recollection of it. Is it worth diving into for a new Father that has about 1 hour a week for gaming?
Last edited by Jordy on February 27th, 2024, 22:48, edited 2 times in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Jordy wrote: February 27th, 2024, 22:48
I've got 61 mins playtime in this and zero recollection of it. Is it worth diving into for a new Father that has about 1 hour a week for gaming?
Each 'quest' is a self-contained adventure, most take probably 15-45 minutes.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 27th, 2024, 22:35
Xenich wrote: February 27th, 2024, 22:33

My first reincarnation was to a Warforged artificer, it was quite strong. They get spells that let them heal constructs, and you are a construct.
Race matters a lot, btw. Way more than any MMO on the market.
Its important, for sure, just that the way they toned some things down, most primary classes of the race of your choice won't be a massive issue. You are right though, I did forget about the Warforged issue, Rusty is right... Heal spells are specific to postive, negative and mechanical. Warforged need specific spells designed to them like Repair or the like to have "full" healing. Normal positive cleric spells have partial healing on mechanical.

Also, you can't heal a player in lich form because they need negative energy so spells that do this will heal the undead, and for NPCs, damage them etc...

So yes, you are correct, race is important, but they said they were doing FTP and I think warforged is paywalled, and didn't think it would be an issue. Good to know though.

That is why I love this game. How many MMOs games out there have such systems of complexity? Not very many.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

hmm... 1 hour? You should be ok, though some of the longer instances may be an issue. You have to complete the instance to get the exp, so if you get 3/4's of the way and log out, no exp.

That said, you can control that by looking at the time length of many of them Short, Medium, long and plan accordingly.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 27th, 2024, 22:51
Each 'quest' is a self-contained adventure, most take probably 15-45 minutes.
Usually, though my first time through Temple of Elemental Evil's first part on elite took my friend and I all night to complete it. Though admittedly that was mid MRR/PRR change and we kept getting one shot by several of the mobs. Very frustrating.

Hmm... all this talk about it is making me want to play it again.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

By the way, any of you if you are interested in the long term.. If you play each class that is currently available, and reincarnate... You get.. (ie all of the classes)

You gain +2 stats and +2 skills which stacks with all tomes, abilities, etc..

I believe you also get each classes past life feat as well, which also stacks its features and can be obtained 3 times each class.

Add in racial past life feats (also stacks 3 times) and you can see how crazy it gets. This isn't even getting into the 20-30 past life game which I think adds destiny points each round (giving you more points to put in the skill trees). There is also a completionist for this as well.. same as the class one, stacks.

And add in Iconic past life feats as well (forgot this one) Correction this one I am unclear on, I think they can count to race and class in some way, but they are not their own category.

All of these are auto-granted so, once they are done, each new toon has all the benefits.

You can quickly see how powerful characters can get and the long road it takes to obtain it.
Last edited by Xenich on February 27th, 2024, 23:34, edited 4 times in total.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Oh, forgot to add, because this is new... they have been adding Arch-type classes for the base classes that have different focuses as well, expanding the number of classes greatly and opening some interesting play styles. They are releasing the Dragonlord (fighter) this month I believe.

Havitner

Post by Havitner »

I still have the collector's edition box from back when the game released in 2006, long before it went F2P.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Havitner wrote: February 28th, 2024, 00:53
I still have the collector's edition box from back when the game released in 2006, long before it went F2P.
Yeah, way different game back then.

I somehow got into the "Friends and Family Alpha" back then (must have been my essay I wrote in the application) and played it when it was only a tavern and a single dungeon. Was interesting even back then, but I was heavy into other things and didn't get to give it the time I wanted (though there wasn't a lot of things to do).
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

By the way, if any of you find yourself really getting into it, but don't want to search for a guild that may have requirements or conditions, let me know. I have my own guild, its 33, and an Air ship with buffs that will help a little.

Just let me know, I am on Orion
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Update 66 released today, once servers are up. First Gift: Dragon Lord Archetype! for the year, should be one gift every month. Be sure to get it or you will have to sub/pay for it down the road.

https://www.ddo.com/update-notes/ddo-up ... ease-notes
Last edited by Xenich on February 28th, 2024, 19:09, edited 1 time in total.
DagothGeas5

Post by DagothGeas5 »

Xenich wrote: February 28th, 2024, 19:07
Update 66 released today, once servers are up. First Gift: Dragon Lord Archetype! for the year, should be one gift every month. Be sure to get it or you will have to sub/pay for it down the road.

I installed the game and named a character (paladin) and was ready to start when it said the name was in use. I changed the name and then the update hit, destroying all I created by having the server go offline and get me stuck in an unending loading screen. Not a nice start for me, but I will try again later on XD
So far, it does not seem too bad, even though I could only "play" the Main Menu and character creator. I love the details they put in it and how it truly does feel like D&D (the Snake Blood feat got me smiling in nostalgia, the first time I saw it was when I played Icewind Dale 2, and how my love for D&D started).
Last edited by DagothGeas5 on February 28th, 2024, 19:29, edited 1 time in total.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

DagothGeas5 wrote: February 28th, 2024, 19:28
Xenich wrote: February 28th, 2024, 19:07

I installed the game and named a character (paladin) and was ready to start when it said the name was in use. I changed the name and then the update hit, destroying all I created by having the server go offline and get me stuck in an unending loading screen. Not a nice start for me, but I will try again later on XD
So far, it does not seem too bad, even though I could only "play" the Main Menu and character creator. I love the details they put in it and how it truly does feel like D&D (the Snake Blood feat got me smiling in nostalgia, the first time I saw it was when I played Icewind Dale 2, and how my love for D&D started).
Wed is patch day, so lots of issues on that day usually.

Interface can seem a bit clunky, but hot key binding and the like is very configurable and it will take a while to get your feel right, so don't let that discourage you.

The tutorial start that eventually puts you in Korthos is good to show some of the features, but its is very dated. I liked all of the original Korthos content, but the newer stuff is a better representation. I would play it just to experience it, but don't judge it too harshly. Korthos is a town connected to a wilderness area which has several instances throughout it. They are often much larger wilderness areas with the newer stuff and the complexity of the dungeons ramp up.

Once you get out of Korthos (you can go straight there if you head to the docks), you have several city zones that connect together Harbor-Marketplace-Houses (ie Denieth, Phalarian, Kundark, etc..) and each all have their own lore, makeup, and story progressions. There is a lot more on top of that if you explore out to various areas, but you get the idea.

The Harbor quests are the next step for the traditional content, but there are several low level module paks around (Borderlands 1-3, Saltmarsh 3-6, etc...). The early stuff will give you a very D&D vibe of the city like modules, and the later stuff gets really elaborate (especially epic content). Most things tend to follow a "series" of modules such as the Saltmarsh starting with the first "Secret in Saltmash" and eventually ending with "Final Enemy". Lots of nuiances in play, and the narrators of various modules are often guests, original creators of the modules, etc...

Pay attention to the randomly generated gear though, you can shore up a lot with it, especially the PRR/MRR stuff as it will help you reduce NPCs doing tons of damage on you.

Enjoy!
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

One other thing. I used to use the player trade, but its overblown, over priced and honestly, mostly dead anyway. You don't need it to be honest. There is a spot in the market place where the vendors sell gear for normal currency which some players will drop off a bunch of stuff that they pick up allowing new players to purchase from a range of the RNG items they have gathered. It isn't always stocked well, but from time to time you can find something that will aid your build.

Most of the quest instances require that you first talk to someone to start them, so if you run to some instance and it won't let you in, its because you need to find the quest NPC. Korthos will seem easy to navigate and figure things out, but once you get to the Harbor and the Market place, its gets overwhelming for some as there is so much content there. Use the Wiki and the Adventure compendium to help you find the level appropriate content, or just explore, talk to NPCs and take it as you go. Your choice.

In the end, for most questions, wiki will explain and get you back on track.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Ok, I have been playing a bit again, and I noticed something that has changed which lines up with what @rusty_shackleford was saying about 15-45 mins runs. Temple of Elemental Evil on release was one HUGE dungeon broken into two parts. Even with that, each part was serious time spent. It looks like at some point, they went and broke it up into sub parts so the time spent won't be required in one big chunk.

I think they have been doing this a lot with the really long dungeons, so those with less time should be able to more easily handle various dungeons (though this does not take into account time spent if you are trying a difficult dungeon at a higher level as you will have to move slower or you will get run over).

Another note is that some of the series of dungeons (ToEE, Slavers, etc...) have a crafting component to their design which allows you to collect base items, and then slot them with various augment gems to tailor them for specific use and function).

There is a lot more of that in the 20+ game with sentient weapons and the like, but I haven't done 20+ much since they originally added Destiny points way back, so it has certainly changed a lot in terms of what is available and the depth of the systems.