We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

CD Projekt RED aka Polish Bioware thread

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

wndrbr wrote: March 21st, 2023, 02:29
yeah i know this guy doesn't work at CDPR anymore, but still.
Isn't that Marcin?
He's still CEO at CDPR - I believe he's transitioning to a new management role in Jan but he's still there..?
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

Releasing a mod editor for a game almost a decade old is way too late.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Val the Moofia Boss wrote: December 4th, 2023, 20:11
Releasing a mod editor for a game almost a decade old is way too late.
It's cynical corporate PR. CDPR's "brand" is being the good guy devs, the ones that care about their product. The absolute trainwreck that was 2077 on release, along with the preceding marketing campaign, made even the most inbred reddit mouthbreather take pause and call bullshit, so CDPR needed to take drastic measures to fix their failing brand.

Cue 2077 2.0, the DLC, 2.1, modding tools for Witcher 3 (and 2077?) et al.

They could have released the tools at any point in the past 5 years and ensured Witcher 3 had a thriving modding community, instead they do it now when it costs them nothing, since they're ditching the Red Engine. It's all just empty platitudes, and the usual morons are eating it up.
Last edited by gerey on December 4th, 2023, 20:26, edited 1 time in total.
SoLong

Post by SoLong »

Love this team and our dystopian IP!
I love how in this dystopian world everyone is sooooooo oppressed by the evil corporations but somehow everyone can also afford to look like they escaped from a futuristic circus. Don't even get me started on the tranny shit they shoved in.

The fact the annoying rich brat gets away with his bullshit in every ending except one only further tanked the game in my opinion. Never been happier not to pay for something.
Last edited by SoLong on January 10th, 2024, 09:55, edited 2 times in total.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

https://www.gamesradar.com/the-witcher- ... ing-block/
The Witcher remake was announced in October 2022, and is being developed by Fool's Theory, a studio of CDPR veterans. Those veterans include CEO Jakub Rokosz, who worked on The Witcher 2 and The Witcher 3. Speaking to Edge, however, Rokosz expresses his disappointment that he never got to work on the first game in Geralt's trilogy; "it always bothered me that I missed the first. I wanted a chance to give it the justice it deserves."

The Witcher does hold some degree of cult classic status - and has some genuinely excellent storytelling sections - but it's certainly difficult to recommend it in 2024 (personally, I'd opt for The Witcher 2, but The Witcher 3 is also a perfectly fine starting point). Those difficulties are multi-faceted - there are aspects of the game's visuals, gameplay, and pacing that definitely don't hold up, as well as tonal elements that raised eyebrows in 2007 and are almost certain to not be included in the remake.

Rokosz is already taking aim at some of those aspects, stating that "first and foremost, we need an honest, down-to-earth analysis of which parts are simply bad, outdated, and need to be remade." That will come at the same time as "highlighting the parts that are great, should be retained, or are direct key pillars that can't be discarded," but it's not hard to work out which aspects he's hinting will likely be removed.

Fans of The Witcher were quick to bid farewell to its most controversial feature - within a day after the project was announced, they were already bidding farewell to its 'sex cards', a bizarre spin on the romance options that helped shape subsequent games, in which players would collect artwork depicting Geralt's many, many paramours in various states of undress. Even the system's creator has expressed their regret over the system.

The Witcher's romance options aren't likely to be the only thing that gets left out of the remake. The confirmation that the remake will be open world is also likely to fix the notorious swamp section in the game's second chapter - some excellent storytelling marred by the need to travel, via a cutscene, back and forth between a large and broadly featureless stretch of marshland. I'll also posit that combat is in for an overhaul, the timing-based melee-fighting system pretty much guaranteed to be removed in place of something akin to The Witcher 3's combat.
i mean, if in your opinion the game is so shit you need to completely overhaul it, then why even bother with a remake?
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

gerey wrote: December 4th, 2023, 15:47
What the fuck is her job even?
Having sex with someone in a position of power in the company. It even has a built in retirement plan of accusing him of rape in 10 years.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

wndrbr wrote: January 31st, 2024, 01:03
https://www.gamesradar.com/the-witcher- ... ing-block/
The Witcher remake was announced in October 2022, and is being developed by Fool's Theory, a studio of CDPR veterans. Those veterans include CEO Jakub Rokosz, who worked on The Witcher 2 and The Witcher 3. Speaking to Edge, however, Rokosz expresses his disappointment that he never got to work on the first game in Geralt's trilogy; "it always bothered me that I missed the first. I wanted a chance to give it the justice it deserves."

The Witcher does hold some degree of cult classic status - and has some genuinely excellent storytelling sections - but it's certainly difficult to recommend it in 2024 (personally, I'd opt for The Witcher 2, but The Witcher 3 is also a perfectly fine starting point). Those difficulties are multi-faceted - there are aspects of the game's visuals, gameplay, and pacing that definitely don't hold up, as well as tonal elements that raised eyebrows in 2007 and are almost certain to not be included in the remake.

Rokosz is already taking aim at some of those aspects, stating that "first and foremost, we need an honest, down-to-earth analysis of which parts are simply bad, outdated, and need to be remade." That will come at the same time as "highlighting the parts that are great, should be retained, or are direct key pillars that can't be discarded," but it's not hard to work out which aspects he's hinting will likely be removed.

Fans of The Witcher were quick to bid farewell to its most controversial feature - within a day after the project was announced, they were already bidding farewell to its 'sex cards', a bizarre spin on the romance options that helped shape subsequent games, in which players would collect artwork depicting Geralt's many, many paramours in various states of undress. Even the system's creator has expressed their regret over the system.

The Witcher's romance options aren't likely to be the only thing that gets left out of the remake. The confirmation that the remake will be open world is also likely to fix the notorious swamp section in the game's second chapter - some excellent storytelling marred by the need to travel, via a cutscene, back and forth between a large and broadly featureless stretch of marshland. I'll also posit that combat is in for an overhaul, the timing-based melee-fighting system pretty much guaranteed to be removed in place of something akin to The Witcher 3's combat.
i mean, if in your opinion the game is so shit you need to completely overhaul it, then why even bother with a remake?
How amusing that they left out the fact that the original American version of Witcher already had them censored.
I'm sure the response would be something like "nooo but we do it for righteous reasons!!!!!"
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

Remaking bad or mediocre game with a lot of potential is why you would even 'do' a remake in the first place. Remaking something that people already like, and is already good, is just a waste of time and resources.

I haven't played the first Witcher, but it looks like it could benefit from a remake if done well.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 31st, 2024, 04:21
How amusing that they left out the fact that the original American version of Witcher already had them censored.
I'm sure the response would be something like "nooo but we do it for righteous reasons!!!!!"
American journalists still got mad about it because of the act of collection itself. It's a mechanic that encourages you to sleep around with as many women as possible to fill that collection.

Post by 1998 »

KnightoftheWind wrote: January 31st, 2024, 04:54
Remaking bad or mediocre game with a lot of potential is why you would even 'do' a remake in the first place. Remaking something that people already like, and is already good, is just a waste of time and resources.

I haven't played the first Witcher, but it looks like it could benefit from a remake if done well.
I have replayed it just last year. Still the same game. Looks, runs and plays exactly like in 2007. Only reason to "remake" it, is to actually make a new game while not having to worry about the story.
BobT

Post by BobT »

I never get why they can't just do a simple fucking REMASTER. Tuned up graphics and bugfixes, that's it.
Now unless there's something gamebreaking, they should even leave any "hated" bits alone, because that was the bloody game! Want to fix them? Make a new game!

Post by 1998 »

Have you played it? There are no consecutive 10 min of gameplay that wouldn't get you arrested on hate crime charges today.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Played Witcher 1 around 8 years ago and really liked it, especially the atmosphere, story and quest design, didn't mind the rhytm based combat as well. Overall, I have pretty positive memories of it. Can't say the same about Witcher 2, which I started playing right after completing the first game in the series. They almost completely killed the atmosphere with the high contrast and bright color palette, the combat seemed too chaotic for me and the consolized general design of the game was not to my liking. Tried to get into Witcher 2 twice and both times I quit without getting far due to those reasons. I plan to someday replay Witcher 1, move to the next entries and finally finish the whole trilogy. I don't intend to ever touch the remake based on what kind of people are developing it, unless I'm severely wrong in my judgement.
revenant

Post by revenant »

Agree with all that except I would suggest against replaying The witcher 1 if you did that years ago, I made the mistake by doing it recently and the game seemed much smaller than I remembered it being from playing it back in the day. In addition, the sequels aren't worth playing as The witcher 1 is the only good witcher.
WaterMage

Post by WaterMage »

wndrbr wrote: January 9th, 2024, 14:11
CDPR is no longer a Polish dev studio.
This since they adopted the ESG crap. Now, Polish man will face discrimination in a company created by Polish man and incompetent diversity hires will only produce woke bugfests.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

The Witcher sucks I really hope this company collapses and people completely forget about it like with Soy of Thrones.
Consul

Post by Consul »

revenant wrote: January 31st, 2024, 19:34
Agree with all that except I would suggest against replaying The witcher 1 if you did that years ago, I made the mistake by doing it recently and the game seemed much smaller than I remembered it being from playing it back in the day. In addition, the sequels aren't worth playing as The witcher 1 is the only good witcher.
Isn't Witcher 3 also considered a good game? Aren't the story, having multiple solutions to quests, choices and consequences praised there? What about the exploration? Is there even a point to having an open world or is everything marked on the map? I liked the open world in Elden Ring, precisely because it allowed the freedom to explore due to the lack of map markers. I would assume that Witcher 3 went in the direction similar to Skyrim in this regard? I also like the Slavic and general European folklore vibe the game has, which is one of the many reasons why I would want to play it eventually. Not to mention the fact that human racial demographics in this game resemble medieval Europe, which at the time of this game's release was a thing developers were slowly moving away from in favor of creating modernized race mixed worlds in which it's impossible get immersed in. It's the world themed after European folklore, free from diversity, that primarily draws me into this game, it's something that's impossible to find in a huge budget games with large production values nowadays. I guess there is also Kingdom Come: Deliverance, which I also look forward to playing one day.

Post by 1998 »

Witcher 3 has its good parts. Exploration, reactivity, quests. Obviously, there is also a lot of filler content (monster nests...) but you can easily ignore them and still find tons of interesting things to discover. Hearts of Stone is not only easily much better than anything W2 offers but also by itself a really good quest line.

But of course, the gameplay still sucks. It's further dumped down from W1, many systems don't really matter and are more flavor than substance. You will likely end up Quen-Fast-Rolling through the whole game, and even if you chose another style, there is no need to change or adapt it at any point.

Witcher 2 is only that storyline split gimmick. It's great that they tried their hands with some non-linear progression, but that isn't the way. There is way too little overlap between both parts for it to be interesting. Other than that the gameplay also is shit, plus additional QTE.

Easily W1 > W3 > W2
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Speaking of Witcher 3, did anyone ever make a companion mod?
It's obvious it existed at some point but was cut, because there's a quest with Keira that has a full companion system. It even includes a party HP bar for her that (iirc) never shows up again:
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 1st, 2024, 04:11
It's obvious it existed at some point but was cut, because there's a quest with Keira that has a full companion system. It even includes a party HP bar for her that (iirc) never shows up again:
I remember being very confused in TW1 when Shani didn't join the party.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Oyster Sauce wrote: February 1st, 2024, 04:22
You need to change that pfp dawg almost blasted nut all over my computer screen :?

This is not a very evergreen post :sad:
Last edited by Vergil on February 1st, 2024, 04:42, edited 1 time in total.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Vergil wrote: February 1st, 2024, 04:24
Oyster Sauce wrote: February 1st, 2024, 04:22
You need to change that pfp dawg almost blasted nut all over my computer screen :?
Happy Nigger Worship month!
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

probably already posted but i don't read threads before posting in them, i post and then i read the thread backwards like a normal person.

Breathe

Post by Breathe »

I played W1 only three years ago. You get used to the combat pretty fast and I enjoyed the playthrough immensely. I'll continue to never purchase remakes as I think they're a waste of time and dev power when they could be working on something new.
BobT

Post by BobT »

Just another example of them rewriting history, so they can say to younger ones that the world has always been like this..