RPGHQ Conan Exiles server

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Fedora Master wrote: March 21st, 2023, 06:11
The new Journey system seems bugged in parts though.
When it wants you to do something involving an item, such as putting one into a workshop bench: do not shift+drag to put in a certain amount, put the entire stack in, or else it won't recognize it.
Sometimes it also doesn't recognize you acquiring certain items if it's already in your inventory.

Also apparently the old journey system used to lead you to The Dregs, the new one does not at all. And there's nothing to suggest you should even go in that location, the map is even created to steer you away from there.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Is this game fun? It looks a lot like what I want TESVI to be. For $12 I'm tempted.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Emphyrio wrote: March 21st, 2023, 22:51
Is this game fun? It looks a lot like what I want TESVI to be. For $12 I'm tempted.
It's not much like the TES games at all. The story is subtle and you have to find it yourself. It's a survival/sandbox game with "RPG elements", good building system(with a couple helper mods), and a well fleshed out slave/follower system.

I'd say it's a decent 7.5/10 and worth grabbing if you think it's interesting.
SDG

Post by SDG »

Maces are indeed king. I found a godly one in some chest and it made Arena Champion a total breeze. It kept her stunlocked for like 99% of the fight.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Things that I dislike:
  • "RPG elements" are just window dressing. There's no real character building and it's trivial to reset your attributes. The choices presented in attributes are pathetic.
  • Agility weapons aren't fun to use. The daggers throw you all over the place with little control, the one-handed spears are gimped with no heavy attack(they're thrown instead), and the short sword(most usable) has a very tiny hitbox. They also seem to break very rapidly due to attacking faster and doing less damage per hit. First time I ever broke a weapon rather than just having to repair it when I returned to base was with the daggers.
    • And to add onto the previous, they really should add more weapon combinations. If you use a shield with a 1h, your attack combos change to a combination of attacks and shield slams. But it goes further than that: There's offhand throwing axes. If you put one in your offhand with a 1h, you start dual wielding it together and the throwing axe is used like a regular axe, unlocking special dual wielding combo attacks. Neat.
  • The survival elements are almost nonexistent for most of the map, then cranked up to 11 in the snow area. Before, at most you had to do was make sure you were staying hydrated to cool yourself down. You'll die in a couple minutes in the snow area without properly preparing gear, supplies, warming food, and so forth. Where was that earlier?!
  • The bonuses on armor should be more interesting, too many have the same bonuses, not enough different types of bonuses overall.
  • The game needs more utility gear like the Spiderclimb boots. It took a good deal of effort to even unlock the recipe for these, and they changed how I traverse the terrain altogether. I love when games add things that make you reconsider an important part of the game itself. With the climbing gloves and some light clothing, all with mods to reduce climbing energy usage, I can climb over most obstacles now.
    • For those that haven't played: you can climb on (almost) anything. There's no special ledges that allow you to climb, every single surface (outside of a few dungeons?) is completely climbable if you have the stamina to do it.
  • There's no way to tell your slaves to go do slave things for you. Why am I collecting rocks when I have actual slaves?
SDG

Post by SDG »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 21st, 2023, 23:15
[*] The survival elements are almost nonexistent for most of the map, then cranked up to 11 in the snow area. Before, at most you had to do was make sure you were staying hydrated to cool yourself down. You'll die in a couple minutes in the snow area without properly preparing gear, supplies, warming food, and so forth. Where was that earlier?!
Lol if the whole game was like the snow area I'd probably hate it. That place is tedious. I got sick of running back and forth for black ice. It was pretty satisfying finding my first star metal meteor though. As far as I know you can only get it in the mountains.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

The gameplay videos look very not fun. What do you like about this?
Fedora Master
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Fedora Master »

It's weird that they implemented golems that can harvest shit but slaves can't
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Fedora Master wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 05:35
It's weird that they implemented golems that can harvest shit but slaves can't
And they suck at it. They don't harvest if nobody is in the area because the server doesn't process areas devoid of players. Did they even test that shit? :headbang:
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

1 steel bar at smelter: 5 iron bars + 1 steelfire

1 iron reinforcement at smithy: 1 iron bar(w/ upgraded blacksmith bench)
1 steel reinforcement at smithy: 1 iron bar + 1 steelfire(w/ high tier smithing thrall)

1 steel bar at smithy: 1 steel reinforcement

kinda get the feeling someone didn't do their math here
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

I don't own this, but I have ARK. How much shittier is this over that?
Fedora Master
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Fedora Master »

So how did you progress so fast Rusty, especially with the thralls? I got idiots here that take an entire day to break and it won't work if nobody is nearby.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Fedora Master wrote: March 25th, 2023, 05:45
and it won't work if nobody is nearby.
Huh? It should work fine.

Also, those bounty hunter camps will sell you thralls from a limited pool. You can turn in sorcerer skulls or captured sorcerers(worth more) for good lewt + currency. Their currency is used to buy items.
https://conanexiles.fandom.com/wiki/Ancient_Obolus

I have something like 4 or 5 thrall camps set up around the map near where I enslave them btw. Carrying them all the way back to your base is for chumps.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

These games tout the lack of (non-enemy) NPCs as a virtue, but I strongly disagree… It seems more like it's just a cop-out to not have to actually bother with story or interesting characters.
SDG

Post by SDG »

Not once in my couple hundred hours of playing this did I stop and think "this game needs a story". Don't be retarded, it's bad for you!
MadPreacher

Post by MadPreacher »

SDG wrote: March 26th, 2023, 04:37
Not once in my couple hundred hours of playing this did I stop and think "this game needs a story". Don't be retarded, it's bad for you!
The thing is that Conan Exiles does have a story. It's one where your character does quests that will enable him/her to leave the exiled lands for good. It's just not in your face with quest markers.
SDG

Post by SDG »

Sounds like incline. You know what else was light on story and dialogue? One of the greatest American films ever made.