We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

In which we discuss visual entertainment products that are in episodic format designed for TVs

Movies? TV shows? Books? Comics? Music? It goes here.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

maidenhaver wrote: July 12th, 2023, 14:16
I haven't seen it, but if Lain is just a better version of NGE, like its fans claim, then the point would be to go outside, so how's that nihilism?
It's more downbeat than Evangelion, you'd know if you had actually seen it like I have.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

I have no idea why anyone would compare Lain to Evangelion. They have pretty much nothing to do with each other. Lain is one of those things where people interpret it to be whatever they want it to be and that's another reason so many people like it. I see it for what it is, which is shit.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

Maybe it is misanthropy and he missed the double word score.
Gastrick
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gastrick »

Val the Moofia Boss wrote: July 12th, 2023, 01:42
The premise of the show had my interest piqued (an anime protagonist who actually gets married? Can't think of any show in which that happens
This happens in most shonen shows (Dragon Ball Z, Naruto, Bleach).
Gastrick
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gastrick »

Dead wrote: July 12th, 2023, 04:17
How come people are so enamored with Serial Experiments Lain but not Texhnolyze?
It makes no sense, Texhnolyze is much better.

GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Gastrick wrote: July 13th, 2023, 00:37
The premise of the show had my interest piqued (an anime protagonist who actually gets married? Can't think of any show in which that happens
All of those happen at the end of their series. Not in the first 10 minutes of the first episode
Gastrick
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gastrick »

GhostCow wrote: July 13th, 2023, 01:09
All of those happen at the end of their series. Not in the first 10 minutes of the first episode
Goku marries just before the start of Dragon Ball Z, and Naruto continues into Boruto. I suppose these aren't meant as romances though, outside of the minds of shippers.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Gastrick wrote: July 13th, 2023, 01:59

Goku marries just before the start of Dragon Ball Z, and Naruto continues into Boruto. I suppose these aren't meant as romances though, outside of the minds of shippers.
Just before the start of DBZ, so you mean the end of Dragon Ball? :smug: Same deal with Boruto.
Gastrick
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gastrick »

KnightoftheWind wrote: July 12th, 2023, 00:23
I find that most anime made after 2010 are terrible. Bad plots, cringe and autistic characters, cheap animation without a shred of personality, the list goes on. Much has been lost since the transition to digital animation, and to this day I feel that the best anime shows and films/OVAs were made in the 80s and 90s. The old Lupin III films in particular are very entertaining and underrated.
There definitely are a lot more excellent anime made before 2010 than after it, usually the best the best modern anime can be is an entertaining rule of cool. The visuals also are really subpar in most modern anime, even among the most popular ones, and they over-rely on CGi for the backgrounds. The visuals are usually a lot more stylized in retro anime, where even random retro shows can have a lot of great-looking scenes. Cringe and autistic characters were unfortunately always a thing, like the casts of Eva and early Gundams.
Last edited by Gastrick on July 13th, 2023, 02:24, edited 1 time in total.
Gastrick
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gastrick »

GhostCow wrote: July 13th, 2023, 02:01
Gastrick wrote: July 13th, 2023, 01:59

Just before the start of DBZ, so you mean the end of Dragon Ball? :smug: Same deal with Boruto.
So that's the end of a different series, if you don't consider them to be the same thing; like how Clannad: After Story having characters already in a relationship with each other isn't nullified by them meeting at the end of Clannad, that it never mattered whether it happens at the start or halfway in.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

Gastrick wrote: July 13th, 2023, 00:40
How come people are so enamored with Serial Experiments Lain but not Texhnolyze?

I can think of two reasons right now. People tend to prefer anime girl protagonists over rugged male characters who don't have extraordinary and conspicuous visual characteristics. Viewers felt that the first few episodes were slow, and stopped watching.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Dead wrote: July 13th, 2023, 21:45
I can think of two reasons right now. People tend to prefer anime girl protagonists over rugged male characters who don't have extraordinary and conspicuous visual characteristics.
Lain isn't even cute though
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

GhostCow wrote: July 13th, 2023, 21:48
I can think of two reasons right now. People tend to prefer anime girl protagonists over rugged male characters who don't have extraordinary and conspicuous visual characteristics.
Lain isn't even cute though
I don't find Lain cute, but I'm guessing many people do. Also she's the type of character that female/transgender anime watchers tend to identify with.
Gastrick
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gastrick »

Strange, since there's a little girl as the secondary protagonist who doesn't act much differently from Lain:

Viewers felt that the first few episodes were slow, and stopped watching.
Must be low attention spans, never felt it was slow at all while watching.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

I can think of two reasons right now. People tend to prefer anime girl protagonists over rugged male characters who don't have extraordinary and conspicuous visual characteristics. Viewers felt that the first few episodes were slow, and stopped watching.
I wonder if that's the reason the anime-to-tranny pipeline exists.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

@Gastrick Texhnolyze doesn't focus on her nearly as much as Lain focuses on its main character. I liked the subdued intensity of the first few episodes, and liked how it didn't use dialogue excessively to introduce its setting.
ManjuShri
Turtle
Turtle

Post by ManjuShri »

Been watching the Netflix documentary on the Tour de France after a recommendation from a Formula 1 podcast, and there's one with Jack Aitken on how cycling makes him a better driver.

https://escapecollective.com/podcast-f1 ... ck-aitken/

Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

ManjuShri wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 02:38
Been watching the Netflix documentary on the Tour de France
Watch Icarus next.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

>Season 1

so they're doing a history rewrite entirely? The doctor always was a zesty buck?
BobT

Post by BobT »

Segata Sanshiro wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 14:18
>Season 1

so they're doing a history rewrite entirely? The doctor always was a zesty buck?
They're willing to re-write history itself, of course that would also include the series:
Faggot wrote:
And we’ve kind of got to tell a lie: we’ll go back into history and there will be black people where, historically, there wouldn’t have been, and we won’t dwell on that. We’ll say, ‘To hell with it, this is the imaginary, better version of the world. By believing in it, we’ll summon it forth.

Absolutely it would [be refreshing if the next Doctor wasn’t white]. Two non-white leads in Doctor Who would be amazing. In fact, a lot of people would barely notice … I certainly don’t think there’s ever been a problem with making the Doctor black, which is why it should happen one day.
https://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/moffat-on ... -80637.htm
Last edited by BobT on April 4th, 2024, 01:27, edited 1 time in total.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

In theory, a TV show airing new episodes weekly instead of dumping the entire thing at once should be stinky and anti-consumer, but in practice holy shit does the Netflix model ever ruin shows.
It's a weird feel.
Anon

Post by Anon »

I like weekly episodes, being able to discuss and consider each of them isolatedly is a good thing
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Anon wrote: April 11th, 2024, 23:45
I like weekly episodes, being able to discuss and consider each of them isolatedly is a good thing
I've never known anything else, because I don't stream.