We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

In which we discuss visual entertainment products that are in episodic format designed for TVs

Movies? TV shows? Books? Comics? Music? It goes here.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

Space Germany vs space USA featuring space Griffith and space Drunken Master-era Jackie Chan
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

Something I was doing reminded me of Shigurui the manga and the anime, which is a brutal samurai rivalry story with underlying homoerotic themes. Does anyone know others that feel like this?
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

I've been semi-watching Vinland Saga with my brother-in-law. I like the historical setting and politics as well as the properly long-lasting and debilitating injuries. I dislike some of the typical anime personalities with their unrealistic behaviors, motvations, and various superhuman feats, all of which are especially jarring in contrast to the otherwise somewhat grounded setting. I especially hate that every Christian depicted is mad, ignorant, cowardly, and/or faithless. Particularly egregious is the shy and effeminate prince's suddenly becoming bold and manly (in attitude, if not appearance) by renouncing his faith under the tutelage of his nihilistic and alcoholic priest. Now that my favorite character is dead I have little hope for the rest of the show, but I'll probably keep watching anyway as it's a good excuse to hang out with my brother-in-law.

@rusty_shackleford if this was meant to solely be a western TV or live-action TV thread, I won't mind if you split this post into an anime thread.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Don't you know anime is a weapon to trannify American men? The last good anime was show was the romeo and juliet one about the two ninja families.
Suissant

Post by Suissant »

maidenhaver wrote: June 13th, 2023, 08:08
Don't you know anime is a weapon to trannify American men? The last good anime was show was the romeo and juliet one about the two ninja families.
Which anime is that? The only anime I genuinely liked was Maison Ikkoku when I was 14 years old. I'm curious because I do like the romeo and juliet theme.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Basilisk and the spin-off about the grandmasters who kill themselves in the beginning.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

This looks bad. Plus the plot is Rogue Trip not Twisted Metal. Ironic.meme.
Gunnar

Post by Gunnar »

Cyberpunk: edgerunners is solid. Giving some neuromancer vibes which is a good thing, and the missions feel like shadowrun, also good.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

I find that most anime made after 2010 are terrible. Bad plots, cringe and autistic characters, cheap animation without a shred of personality, the list goes on. Much has been lost since the transition to digital animation, and to this day I feel that the best anime shows and films/OVAs were made in the 80s and 90s. The old Lupin III films in particular are very entertaining and underrated.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

I've been watching anime for 30 years and honestly I think there is more good modern stuff than old stuff. I've completed somewhere around 240 anime. Out of those 240 I've rated 26 of them a 10/10. Out of those 10s, 21 of them were made after 2010. All of them were made after 1999 except for Kachou Ouji.
Gunnar

Post by Gunnar »

GhostCow wrote: July 12th, 2023, 01:25
I've been watching anime for 30 years and honestly I think there is more good modern stuff than old stuff. I've completed somewhere around 240 anime. Out of those 240 I've rated 26 of them a 10/10. Out of those 10s, 21 of them were made after 2010. All of them were made after 1999 except for Kachou Ouji.
What are your top titles?
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Gunnar wrote: July 12th, 2023, 01:32
What are your top titles?
Here's my full list sorted by rating: https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Ghost ... 4&order2=0

My list tends to enrage people. Expect to see me give your favorite anime a bad rating.

My personal top 5 out of the 10s:

1) Mushoku Tensei
2) Golden Kamuy
3) Oshi no Ko
4) Kill la Kill
5) Odd Taxi

Somewhere in my top 10, but unranked: Welcome to the NHK, Isekai Ojisan, Tonikaku Kawaii, Urusei Yatsura (2022), Panty and Stocking

Mushoku Tensei just started a new season and if it isn't as great as the last one, it's going to drop to #3 and Oshi no Ko will move to the #1 spot.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

Knights & Magic (2017)

I prefer to watch older anime. They usually have higher production values, and I prefer the aesthetic of the cel painted characters with higher levels of detail and three levels of shading and the painted backgrounds. I do agree that most modern anime aren't very aesthetically pleasing, with the samey moeface character designs, two-tone shading, photorealistic backgrounds, plethora of filters pasted over the show, etc. There are a few good new shows, though. Fate/Zero had a distinct color palette and a good story. Knights & Magic and Made in Abyss had some imaginative fantasy environments. Kekkai Sensen season 1 had a decent story and some well animated fights. The first season of Log Horizon was neat plot wise and had an above average English dub. Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans had crunchy melee mech combat.

Here's my MAL list.

Edit:
GhostCow wrote: July 12th, 2023, 01:38
Tonikaku Kawaii
The premise of the show had my interest piqued (an anime protagonist who actually gets married? Can't think of any show in which that happens besides Fate/Zero, LoGH, and Clannad), but then they didn't act like a married couple, and then later on he got a harem of girls vying for his attention.
Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss on July 12th, 2023, 01:45, edited 1 time in total.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Val the Moofia Boss wrote: July 12th, 2023, 01:42
The premise of the show had my interest piqued (an anime protagonist who actually gets married?
This alone is why it gets a 10/10 from me. It's my favorite romance anime of all time. There is also a really interesting side story going on kind of in the background that makes it a little more interesting too. I won't spoil it for you.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

Shillitron wrote: July 12th, 2023, 01:46
@Val the Moofia Boss

What game is your avatar from?
Mueller from Trails in the Sky. He is an optional party member at the end of the second game, and gets more screentime in the third one.
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

Out of those 240 I've rated 26 of them a 10/10.
Can you list them?
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

How come people are so enamored with Serial Experiments Lain but not Texhnolyze?
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

General Reign wrote: July 11th, 2023, 07:12

This looks bad. Plus the plot is Rogue Trip not Twisted Metal. Ironic.meme.
this looks fucking ATROCIOUS and I'm glad because it's going to piss off David Jaffe and I fucking despise him. Love that his baby will be massacred like this, and he'll have to pretend that it's good so he stays in good graces with his fellow SJWs.
KnightoftheWind

Dead wrote: July 12th, 2023, 04:17
How come people are so enamored with Serial Experiments Lain but not Texhnolyze?
Lain is one of those nihilistic, schizo animes that really shouldn't be as "popular" as it is.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

KnightoftheWind wrote: July 12th, 2023, 05:00
Lain is one of those nihilistic, schizo animes that really shouldn't be as "popular" as it is.
lain has a great opening song tho

i remember as a young weeb i even bought the Boa album it was on. not a bad album btw
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

You like calling everything nihilistic.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

It's popular because people think it's deep, but it's just pretentious garbage written by someone who lacks basic understanding of computers and the internet.
KnightoftheWind

maidenhaver wrote: July 12th, 2023, 10:23
You like calling everything nihilistic.
Because it is?
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I haven't seen it, but if Lain is just a better version of NGE, like its fans claim, then the point would be to go outside, so how's that nihilism?