We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Chronicling the inability of gamedevs to make video games

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

Breathe wrote: March 26th, 2024, 03:32
Well I can basically forget about Bethesda for good now.
not to put too fine a point on it but you hadn't already after Starfield?
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

aweigh wrote: March 26th, 2024, 03:42
not to put too fine a point on it but you hadn't already after Starfield?
I knew starfield was going to be trash but ES is something I've always loved. I still hope that the game will be at least as good as Skyrim, but even that seems too optimistic now. And then throw in Redguard land? Bleak.
Rand

Post by Rand »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 26th, 2024, 03:01
Retroactively turning a single-player engine into a client-server architecture is impressive
The Creation Engine started out as Gamebryo which started out as NetImmerse which started out as (partially) multiplayer online RPG code.
What a long, strange trip it's been...
Last edited by Rand on March 27th, 2024, 04:55, edited 1 time in total.
Rand

Post by Rand »

aweigh wrote: March 26th, 2024, 03:07
and force them to release early and make every woman as ugly as possible
And virtually every woman in Skyrim is already ugly...
Rand

Post by Rand »

Breathe wrote: March 26th, 2024, 14:05
And then throw in Redguard land? Bleak.
If they did it like Daggerfall's Hammerfell, or even Redguard's... but it's the 2020s, and you know what they'll be doing with the darker skinned pseudo Arabs/Persians.
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

So I'd either need a mod to make every character killable, or a race change mod to change the whole game.

I need to get into modding again.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

i think the main problem with hammerfell will be the terrible and boring writing.

people always joke about how bad emil and bethesda writing is but it is undeniable that there were improvements going from Oblivion to Fallout 4, with each one having slightly better or more interesting writing than the last... however Starfield obliterated all of this by having the absolute worst writing ever seen, worst quests, worst characters, least story coherence, everything about it was abominable.

no reason to think there will be a sudden improvement for hammerfell, if anything it will be worse.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

It'll be a carbon copy of Black Panther. There's no way they can tell a story in that setting in the 2020s, without resorting to the tired old "We wuz Kangz, and wypipo want to steal our resources!". The fact that Hammerfall is known for having a sub saharan african and middle eastern aesthetic makes it all the more appealing for DEI, and they'll have a trump card against fans who can no longer claim 'X' is against Elder Scrolls lore, because hey, they're honouring the aesthetics of Hammerfell!. It was always there, duh!.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

KnightoftheWind wrote: March 26th, 2024, 16:31
It'll be a carbon copy of Black Panther. There's no way they can tell a story in that setting in the 2020s, without resorting to the tired old "We wuz Kangz, and wypipo want to steal our resources!". The fact that Hammerfall is known for having a sub saharan african and middle eastern aesthetic makes it all the more appealing for DEI, and they'll have a trump card against fans who can no longer claim 'X' is against Elder Scrolls lore, because hey, they're honouring the aesthetics of Hammerfell!. It was always there, duh!.
we wuz curved swords
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Finally, the sheeple are awaking. :bounce:

Edit: nevermind, read his further posts. Jeeze Louise :groan:
Last edited by Irenaeus on March 27th, 2024, 00:26, edited 1 time in total.
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

Irenaeus wrote: March 27th, 2024, 00:24
Finally, the sheeple are awaking. :bounce:

Edit: nevermind, read his further posts. Jeeze Louise :groan:
I haven't purchased a bethesda title since Skyrim. I just wanted another good ES game, but of course in this day and age it's too much to ask.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

WorthABuy summarized my opinion on the developer reaction to BG3 perfectly

developers from studios owned by EA, ubisoft, Sony, … saying "wahh we can't do that" is only true because yes, they can't do that, but not because they lack the funding or some magical circumstances Larian had that nobody else did. And sadly, Larian won't be able to do it again either.
This is the real reason they can't do it anymore:

And he's right that it was an attack on Larian. "How dare you?", they know games like BG3 threaten their livelihood because they simply cannot make a good product.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on March 27th, 2024, 15:25, edited 1 time in total.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

The Assassin's Creed: Red character reveal trailer is going to be a very fun time.