We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Chronicling the inability of gamedevs to make video games

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
Element

Post by Element »

pickmeister wrote: June 28th, 2023, 05:35
As a graphics whore myself, I'd honestly appreciate them allocating resources to better endeavours than graphics unless they start making it actually good.

I remember being blown away when the first Assassin's Creed came out and wondered, how better it's going to get in just a few years. The game wasn't great but as a tech demo, it was solid.

15+ years later and all we got in terms of graphics is a step up in world clutter and less repeating models. There's almost no step in graphical fidelity. Instead we got the cartoony cancer that is plaguing the industry now, making every character look like a shitty wax sculpture.

Yes, Ubisoft does keep releasing games. But those games aren't anything to write home about. I was trying to play the nu-AC games in last two weeks (Origins, Odyssey, Valhalla) and the only thing I can say about them is they're huge. Graphically, it's a mixed bag. Looks great in screenshots but playing it, it's kinda meh.
What did impress me however is that they're jankier than their predecessors. Character attacking enemies behind camera (instead of those I'm directly looking at), grabbing ledges I don't want him to, getting stuck climbing, refusing to climb altogether, and so on).
I redownloaded Assassin's Creed 2 just to check if I'm remembering it right and that game feels much more solid than the new ones.

Speaking of Ubisoft, let's not forget Skull & Bones which is apparently in development for over a decade now.
I just wish they made a proper sequel to the PoP series, in the mould of Sands of Time. No open world, no endless skinner-box mechanics, back to proper level design and good combat.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

NOOOOOOOOOOO DON'T MAKE ME OPTIMIZE GAMES

Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

Another case of "fuck optimization n shiet"

Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Segata Sanshiro wrote: August 24th, 2023, 19:39

huh this game looks pretty coo
► Show Spoiler
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Emphyrio wrote: August 24th, 2023, 19:49
Segata Sanshiro wrote: August 24th, 2023, 19:39

huh this game looks pretty coo
► Show Spoiler
Just play Dark Messiah.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

I bet if you lowered the graphics on most modern titles to N64-level, it would still run at 20fps.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

This is how Immortals of Aveum manages to run on consoles

Humbaba

Post by Humbaba »

Slightly unfair jab at nintendo, from what I can tell their games are actually good.

-Humbaba
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

Humbaba wrote: September 3rd, 2023, 10:05
Slightly unfair jab at nintendo, from what I can tell their games are actually good.

-Humbaba
It could be argued that Nintendo no longer makes games since all challenge has been removed from them.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

J1M wrote: September 3rd, 2023, 13:13
It could be argued that Nintendo no longer makes games since all challenge has been removed from them.
I've found the Switch games I've played so far decently challenging.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

What is with devs being completely unable to handle memory management? This is similar to why a lot of other ports are bad on PC now. If the devs are too retarded to handle it, they need to go back to dx11 and give up on dx12 and vulkan.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

linuxchads literally cannot stop winning

(same patch also implements directstorage support)
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

J1M wrote: September 3rd, 2023, 13:13
Humbaba wrote: September 3rd, 2023, 10:05

-Humbaba
It could be, but nobody would listen. If your galaxy brain needs challenge, go play chess with an old library nigger.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

GhostCow wrote: September 10th, 2023, 17:11
What is with devs being completely unable to handle memory management? This is similar to why a lot of other ports are bad on PC now. If the devs are too retarded to handle it, they need to go back to dx11 and give up on dx12 and vulkan.
The answer is, was and will be... Pajeets. I keep saying this, people are angry about what the Jews and swarthoiods get up to, but very few people are actually talking about the looming apocalypse threatening to consume and destroy the global IT sector as the industry is flooded with more and more Pajeets (that keep getting hired due to ethnic in-group preference).
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

rusty_shackleford wrote: September 10th, 2023, 17:14

checked out the pr and built it, 20-30% perf boost
Rand

Post by Rand »

Atlantico wrote: March 12th, 2023, 13:05
J1M wrote: March 11th, 2023, 15:03
wndrbr wrote: March 11th, 2023, 02:50

the technological bloat is actually making things harder, not easier. Modern development has a low entry barrier, but in order to make something that's not shit you need an enormous amount of knowledge and competence. It's not surprising that back in the day games took one year or sometimes even months to develop - devs didn't need to be skilled in a million of various tools, they didn't need to merge together multiple huge middlewares, they didn't have to know the various custom scripting engines, they didn't have access to asset databases or indian sweatshops. The limiting factor of needing to write your own engine and tools is what made games good, because it kept away the incompetent idea guys, worthless humanities students and other freeloaders.
If you target a graphical fidelity a couple of years back from the bleeding edge, a lot of that technical complexity goes away.
This is true, but where are the simple pixelart games that rival Ultima V?
Oh! Let me introduce you to Spiderweb Software. The product of ONE DEVELOPER!
https://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Rand wrote: September 11th, 2023, 02:21
Atlantico wrote: March 12th, 2023, 13:05

This is true, but where are the simple pixelart games that rival Ultima V?
Oh! Let me introduce you to Spiderweb Software. The product of ONE DEVELOPER OLD MAN!
https://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/
Rand

Post by Rand »

1) why the fuck is one player's client loading another player's stash?

2) every item in a stash and their amounts in any game can be coded in 32 bytes or less per item, and by someone barely competent. 8 or less if they have no significant variable properties.
Last edited by Rand on September 11th, 2023, 03:13, edited 1 time in total.
Rand

Post by Rand »

rusty_shackleford wrote: September 10th, 2023, 23:50

Any possible utility for making the Windows version better despite Microsoft's retarded little Bethesda?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Rand wrote: September 11th, 2023, 03:03
rusty_shackleford wrote: September 10th, 2023, 23:50

Any possible utility for making the Windows version better despite Microsoft's retarded little Bethesda?
unlike dxvk I don't think vkd3d offers compatibility with non-linux systems
Nevergrind Online

Post by Nevergrind Online »

To be honest, gamedevs don't have to know how to make games to be successful. We live in an age where the power of marketing far surpasses the importance of the quality of the actual product. Most people just live their entire lives chasing some new thing and never look in the margins of life because that requires independent research.
Norfleet

Post by Norfleet »

Rand wrote: September 11th, 2023, 02:53
1) why the fuck is one player's client loading another player's stash?
Lazy devs who don't want to implement proper data security and need-to-know. This is the kind of thing which enables fog of war exploits and inventory scanning where players with external tools are able to extract information about the gameworld that they couldn't normally see. In a game like Diablo, without meaningful PvP, this can be mostly benign, but data leaks like this can be quite bad in games where players can directly benefit from this information. And, of course, it results in unnecessary network load.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

Don't they realize they don't need to do any of this?

rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Segata Sanshiro wrote: September 18th, 2023, 07:13

"The expectations […] has increased"

It has not. You can make a game that is one of the best selling games of all time just by maintaining a stable 60 FPS and not crashing.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

rusty_shackleford wrote: September 18th, 2023, 07:18
Segata Sanshiro wrote: September 18th, 2023, 07:13

"The expectations […] has increased"

It has not. You can make a game that is one of the best selling games of all time just by maintaining a stable 60 FPS and not crashing.
but Starfield doesn't have a stable 60 fps.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Increased visual fidelity - Then they need to explain why Among Us and other indies sell like hotcakes, why the Nintendo Switch is a success, while the PS5 and XBox are floundering, or why FROM and Bethesda games sell despite not being at the bleeding edge of graphics.

Improved online experience - How come games from 20 years ago had incredibly powerful and advanced server browsers and a slew of other features that allowed for decentralized gaming? Why not just admit the "improved online experience" exists so they can fleece their users with cosmetics and lootboxes?

Building for more platforms - All modern consoles are either gimped PCs or glorified mobile phones using well-documented hardware. Porting and optimizing has never been easier or more convenient.

Better support for the game's ecosystem - Stop shoveling MTX shit into your games.

Faster cadence of updates - How come games 30 years ago did not require dozens of patches and hotfixes to be playable despite taking 1/3 of the time to develop? How come CA is seemingly incapable of patching their flagship title, TW: Warhammer 3, more than 4 times a year despite the game suffering from game-breaking bugs that haven't been addressed since launch? Why haven't the stuttering issues in Jedi Survivor been fixed to this day?

New laws, regulations - Don't shove faggots and troons into your games, don't try to spy on your costumers and mysteriously these issues go away.

New tools - They have so many tools and middleware at their disposal that gamedev pretty much comes down to crayon drawing.

New processes - Then why do so many AAA games launch in a broken state, either unplayable due to bugs or due to poor optimization?

More people are needed - Sure, because devs keep hiring fags, troons, women and swarthoids instead of White and East Asian men, so what would take a team of a dozen heterosexual men one or two years to accomplish now needs multiple development teams across the globe numbering in the hundreds close to a decade.

EDIT: lmao, just looked up this guy - turns out he works for 343 as a senior community manager. The same 343 that were handed one of the most popular and well-liked IPs on the globe and access to MS's bottomless coffers and proceeded, over the span of a decade, to drive Halo into irrelevance due to sheer incompetence.