We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Chronicling the inability of gamedevs to make video games

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
Rand

Post by Rand »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 19th, 2024, 02:07
Rand wrote: March 19th, 2024, 02:05
Oyster Sauce wrote: March 19th, 2024, 02:00

Cheats regularly advance and become more difficult to detect, guys watching replays to find evidence of cheating have peaked and will never get better.
Yeah. For example, the new triggerbots are hard for a human to detect since it just fires the weapon only when you manually line up the shot.
It just has effective perfect human accuracy, firing only when there's a possible hit and stops the instant the target is dead.
Add in normal weapon spread and some shots still miss. If you're smart, you program in just a little randomness to the bot.
I think I see it pretty often in BattleBit, but you can't be sure unless you watch someone play a match and be just too damned good all the time.
That's most likely something an AI model could detect easily. Anything that's abnormal gets picked up and flagged for review.
The guys who worked on it for Valve did a talk at GDC about it.
That's why AI anti-cheat has me feeling hopeful. AIs can already see shit humans at their best can't, and only improve with more data and examples.

Like I said before, what makes me happy is the idea that they can't even get away with new accounts after a ban, since the AI will quickly recognize them from their idiosyncratic playstyle, even with hacks.
Analogue Dreams

Post by Analogue Dreams »

Cheats regularly advance and become more difficult to detect, guys watching replays to find evidence of cheating have peaked and will never get better.
Who has peaked, the interns looking at the evidence they were sent? You don't know what you're talking about. I mentioned RTS, there's no one good who never watched their own replays to learn from them. if you check it and find e.g a cheater clicking on units outside the fog of war which is impossible without cheats, that is a dead giveaway. that's scouring a replay hard to find evidence, to you, I guess, clear sign they'll never improve.

There were more obvious cheats than maphack, too. There are two layers of detectability, it doesn't matter if something is undetected or undetectable when most cheaters are stupid. In any case, you had an offline record of the online game that took place and that could serve as evidence of cheating if need be (as opposed to dev logging everything you do) and it could be given to a person to look at it. Much better than the accepted malware and spyware of today, I'll take a few cheaters over that any day.
Oyster Sauce wrote: March 19th, 2024, 02:04
rusty_shackleford wrote: March 19th, 2024, 02:03
guys watching replays to find evidence of cheating have peaked and will never get better.
AI models are trained on cheaters and used to detect them. Valve already does this, don't know if others do.
Ok, but AI models aren't people watching replays. I agree that technology is the way forward rather than human intuition.
Human intuition is pretty good, much more trustworthy and far more reliable than anything based on neural nets—like LLMs—because they have fundamental flaws that have been known for devades and cannot be solved and are the cause of many of their issues, e.g.: if A equals B, then B equals A; obvious to a human, yet anything based on neural nets can not and will not ever comprehend it.

You really think LLMs that can't read the time on a watch with 100% reliability are the way forward with something way more complicated? If "technology is the way forward," then it's certainly not in neural nets, deep learning, or LLMs, what nonsense, and it's obvious to many who work on AI software. Unless you just think openAI is 7 trillion short. :roll:
Rand wrote: March 19th, 2024, 02:11
That's why AI anti-cheat has me feeling hopeful. AIs can already see shit humans at their best can't, and only improve with more data and examples.

Like I said before, what makes me happy is the idea that they can't even get away with new accounts after a ban, since the AI will quickly recognize them from their idiosyncratic playstyle, even with hacks.
More data and scaling hasn't improved the core problems one bit, why do you think LLMs never ended up replacing radiologists? Know what else they do? They see shit humans at their worst can't and make mistakes no human ever would. :lol:
► Show Spoiler
More data and scaling has brought us little other than multimodal hallucinations and spam, not to mention automated propaganda since the main interest in them is state interests. Everyone who actually works on AI software knows it's nothing but hype at this point. When reliability is lost from telling the time of statistically less common positions on a clock, how will LLMs ever be useful at detecting cheaters? It's pure fantasy because no matter how much data you throw at them, it's still next-token prediction; no understanding. It won't ever be useful for anticheat, it would be awful, not to mention the cost of training and running one for anticheat.

Just hire some real employees. low tech is the way to go. Like others pointed out, if they can get people to police their games for "hate speech" there is no reason they couldn't do better to stop cheating, but they want an easy, passive solution that avoids the hard work of human input.
PayStation

Post by PayStation »

It's easy to use replays to spot low-rank or obvious brain-rot cheaters, but when a cheat is used by a smart person with a high rank, it's very hard to know for sure. Back when I was still playing Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (I spent 300 hours playing that shit), there were replays that I watched for 10 minutes but couldn't tell if the person cheated or just got lucky. Using humans to detect cheats is very time-consuming and still unreliable for FPS games.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Analogue Dreams wrote: March 19th, 2024, 04:47
Who has peaked, the interns looking at the evidence they were sent? You don't know what you're talking about. I mentioned RTS, there's no one good who never watched their own replays to learn from them. if you check it and find e.g a cheater clicking on units outside the fog of war which is impossible without cheats, that is a dead giveaway. that's scouring a replay hard to find evidence, to you, I guess, clear sign they'll never improve.

There were more obvious cheats than maphack, too. There are two layers of detectability, it doesn't matter if something is undetected or undetectable when most cheaters are stupid. In any case, you had an offline record of the online game that took place and that could serve as evidence of cheating if need be (as opposed to dev logging everything you do) and it could be given to a person to look at it. Much better than the accepted malware and spyware of today, I'll take a few cheaters over that any day.
Oyster Sauce wrote: March 19th, 2024, 02:04
rusty_shackleford wrote: March 19th, 2024, 02:03

AI models are trained on cheaters and used to detect them. Valve already does this, don't know if others do.
Ok, but AI models aren't people watching replays. I agree that technology is the way forward rather than human intuition.
Human intuition is pretty good, much more trustworthy and far more reliable than anything based on neural nets—like LLMs—because they have fundamental flaws that have been known for devades and cannot be solved and are the cause of many of their issues, e.g.: if A equals B, then B equals A; obvious to a human, yet anything based on neural nets can not and will not ever comprehend it.

You really think LLMs that can't read the time on a watch with 100% reliability are the way forward with something way more complicated? If "technology is the way forward," then it's certainly not in neural nets, deep learning, or LLMs, what nonsense, and it's obvious to many who work on AI software. Unless you just think openAI is 7 trillion short. :roll:
Rand wrote: March 19th, 2024, 02:11

More data and scaling hasn't improved the core problems one bit, why do you think LLMs never ended up replacing radiologists? Know what else they do? They see shit humans at their worst can't and make mistakes no human ever would. :lol:
► Show Spoiler
More data and scaling has brought us little other than multimodal hallucinations and spam, not to mention automated propaganda since the main interest in them is state interests. Everyone who actually works on AI software knows it's nothing but hype at this point. When reliability is lost from telling the time of statistically less common positions on a clock, how will LLMs ever be useful at detecting cheaters? It's pure fantasy because no matter how much data you throw at them, it's still next-token prediction; no understanding. It won't ever be useful for anticheat, it would be awful, not to mention the cost of training and running one for anticheat.

Just hire some real employees. low tech is the way to go. Like others pointed out, if they can get people to police their games for "hate speech" there is no reason they couldn't do better to stop cheating, but they want an easy, passive solution that avoids the hard work of human input.
A retard clicking units outside of revealed territory with recorded mouse movements would be easy to detect, sure. I don't think that's an accurate representation of how sophisticated cheats are in shooters these days though.

How did xXmEtAlGeArXx know that guy was coming around the corner? Was he wallhacking? Did he hear footsteps? Did he predict and time the rotation? Did he get lucky? Was it a good move to look there or was it the wrong move? Did he check the other angle 2 seconds prior because he knew from the wallhack he had the time and it would make it look more natural?
How did he line up that shot so fast? It looked natural, but was it an aimbot trained on player aim 100 ELO above him? Does that cursor movement match up with how he typically aims in his 600 hour career?
Did he pull the trigger as he swept the hitbox or was it a triggerbot? He did fire an extra shot after the guy died, but was that just the bot trying to make me doubt myself? Sure, he missed the shot last round but is he just toggling the bot conservatively to avoid suspicion?
Why did he aim for the torso instead of the head? Did a teammate call out that he did 99 damage in Discord? Was he just nervous because he was the last man standing and he didn't want to fuck up?
Whoops another 5000 cheating reports have come in, better decide whether or not to permanently ban this guy based on this one clip.

► Show Spoiler
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Overwatch 2's latest non-binary hero. They easily could have paid each individual employee a million dollar bonus if they had just kept making hot characters.

Breathe

Post by Breathe »

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 20th, 2024, 12:18
Overwatch 2's latest non-binary hero. They easily could have paid each individual employee a million dollar bonus if they had just kept making hot characters.

It's sad how AAA devs keep destroying their products further without realizing it. Or maybe they do and don't care about their jobs, idk. It probably doesn't cross their mind, though. They're too worried about putting signs up in bathrooms.
SoLong

Post by SoLong »

Oh look, it's time to play everyone's favorite game:

Feminine guy or really ugly chick?
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

SoLong wrote: March 21st, 2024, 11:46

I promise you that is not my favorite game. It's a game I hate with a passion tbqh
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Bonus points if you can guess the nationality
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

I noticed that the overwatch 2 picture on Steam has the female characters in masculine poses that makes them look ugly
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Breathe wrote: March 20th, 2024, 14:36

It's sad how AAA devs keep destroying their products further without realizing it. Or maybe they do and don't care about their jobs, idk. It probably doesn't cross their mind, though. They're too worried about putting signs up in bathrooms.
there are libtards who will, without a hint of irony, suggest that major publishers actually care about making money
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

I'm just happy Microsoft bought all these dying companies, so when they flop, and they will, all of them will come crashing down at the same time. Even now, Sony is SEETHING over their inept decision to purchase Bungie for $3.6 Billion. Yes, you heard that right, over three Billion dollars. One of the most successful, high profile conjobs in the corporate world if I do say so myself. And ever since, Bungie has not produced anything of value.

I'm really beginning to think Sony had the idea that Bungie still owned the Halo IP, or that ANY of the talent from those days were still working there.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

Acrux wrote: March 21st, 2024, 12:45

I promise you that is not my favorite game. It's a game I hate with a passion tbqh
I remember being at Blizzcon 2014 when OW1 was announced and played the demo there. The excitement in the air was palpable. Game released without a ranked mode or a story mode. It was fun for a while when they added 3v3 team deathmatch, but then the updates slowed to a crawl and they started making weird balancing decisions that made the game unenjoyable to play. And then by 2018 I realized that four years had passed and they had done all of these events and comics and shorts but the actual story hadn't progressed past the announcement cinematic. Lost interest. Then they announced Overwatch 2 as being the PvE story experience... and then apparently that launched without the story campaign. Blizzard caught so much attention with Overwatch 1. They could've kept that momentum going, but they squandered it. :(
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

overwatch 1 had cute and sexy character designs. it was good.

overwatch 2 has ugly and mean character designs. it is bad.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

https://www.gamesradar.com/starfield-le ... hing-else/
Starfield lead says the RPG's ending twist was a "panic button" idea to tie things together since the team was "overbooked" making everything else
Reminder, they claimed Starfield was delayed to have the "most polished" version of it:
It was then delayed again:
https://www.polygon.com/23630506/starfi ... d-bethesda

Of course, nobody working at these outlets will point out how this new statement is in complete contradiction with their prior statements. Starfield was, of course, never anywhere near done at either of those announced release dates despite lies otherwise.
KnightoftheWind

Starfield was doomed to fail regardless of how much development time they could or should have had. Starfield already took years longer than any prior Bethesda title to release, nearly 8 years since the release of Fallout 4. They overpromised and undelivered to such an extent that the Bethesda/Todd Howard brand is unlikely to recover.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

I can see why something like Starfield could've taken so much time to develop, given Bethesda's technical debt and the fact that even without technical debt their engine and work pipeline were ill suited for a space rpg. But TES6 can be just Skyrim, but with better graphics. Can Bethesda fuck up "Skyrim with better graphics"?
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

wndrbr wrote: March 26th, 2024, 02:33
I can see why something like Starfield could've taken so much time to develop, given Bethesda's technical debt and the fact that even without technical debt their engine and work pipeline were ill suited for a space rpg. But TES6 can be just Skyrim, but with better graphics. Can Bethesda fuck up "Skyrim with better graphics"?
Did you forget TES6 is the nigger one? Game is doomed.
Last edited by aweigh on March 26th, 2024, 02:57, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

FO76 is more technically impressive than Starfield is IMO. Retroactively turning a single-player engine into a client-server architecture is impressive, even if they had a ton of issues along the way.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

aweigh wrote: March 26th, 2024, 02:57
having played Starfield - yeah. I just wonder how long will it take for Bethesda to release this game. Are they going to spend a decade on this again?

If I were in Todd's place, i'd kick devs' butts and force them to release a slamdunk in three/four years to fix bethesda's reputation.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

If you're in the west and own a gamedev company you're pretty much screwed. Ask a dev to actually do their job and they go running and crying to someone like schreier who starts writing hitpieces on you.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

wndrbr wrote: March 26th, 2024, 03:04
having played Starfield - yeah. I just wonder how long will it take for Bethesda to release this game. Are they going to spend a decade on this again?

If I were in Todd's place, i'd kick devs' butts and force them to release a slamdunk in three/four years to fix bethesda's reputation.
this may actually happen. I think a big part of the reason Starfield even released when it did was pressure from MS. Starfield was already underway before being bought by MS, but TES6 will be their first game fully under MS's whip. MS will crack the whip and force them to release early and make every woman as ugly as possible.
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

Say what now?
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Breathe wrote: March 26th, 2024, 03:09
Say what now?
It's assumed, but by no means confirmed that TES6 will take place in Wakanda in an attempt to cash in on ESG dosh.
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

wndrbr wrote: March 26th, 2024, 03:11
@Breathe it takes place in Hammerfell, land of Redguards.

I did not know this. That puts a damper on things.
KnightoftheWind

If it's confirmed, I'm not surprised even a little bit. I think all of us knew it was going to be Hammerfell/Redguard-centered, I mean cmon.
KnightoftheWind

I am not sure if it really is confirmed or not, all I'm seeing is that 30th anniversary tweet that was made, but no explicit confirmation of the game being set in Hammerfell.