We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

RPG release/entered early access thread. Also upcoming.

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Both of these just released within an hour of each other today. I liked the demo for Wandering Sword, I might check it out this weekend if I have any time.

Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Been keeping an eye on Fading Afternoon, still need to play Ringo Ishikawa.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Released to early access. This is from the same guy who made Inferno: Beyond the 7th Circle. IMO there were two things holding that game back: single character DRPG and UI scaling. Both of those are things he's updated for Ludus Mortis.

rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Obviously Ultima-inspired game, don't know if it's good or shit, riding a very fine line.
A free game by the co-creator of the XBox's Fable series.

Five hundred years ago, the land of Caldera was plunged into endless darkness. Decades later, five moons rose in the sky, bringing light to the world and strange Gods with it. With them came the Dreams: calls to Devotion promising supernatural Gifts.

Thus, the new Calderan civilisation was born; a world of Devotion and Dreamers, Gods and Gifts, with a Dreamless Archon acting as the Gods' mortal representative. But Archons are not eternal, and a successor must be found.

You are Dreamless: free to choose your own destiny, to ask questions others dare not, or even become Archon yourself.

What will you do, Dreamless one?

Moonring is a retro-inspired open-world, turn-based, tile RPG in the style of the classic Ultima games, but created from the ground up with modern design sensibilities.

The world's geography is hand-designed, but the deadly dungeons beneath the surface reconfigure each time you leave... or die.

Travel, trade, sneak, fight and sail the world of Caldera. Speak with the townsfolk, learn Caldera's secrets, and challenge the Archon for his throne... or even overthrow the Gods themselves!
Features:
- Large, hand-designed open world
- An infinite supply of dungeons generated using your character name
- Over 100 varied enemy types, from fodder to bosses
- 35 unique Gifts from the Gods, their usage changing with the moon phases
- Sailing, ship-to-ship combat and boarding
- A Dungeon Synth OST with over 50 tracks, all made using retro Mod Trackers!
- A hidden magic system and many other mysteries
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

rusty_shackleford wrote: September 29th, 2023, 17:45
Obviously Ultima-inspired game, don't know if it's good or shit, riding a very fine line.

Five hundred years ago, the land of Caldera was plunged into endless darkness. Decades later, five moons rose in the sky, bringing light to the world and strange Gods with it. With them came the Dreams: calls to Devotion promising supernatural Gifts.

Thus, the new Calderan civilisation was born; a world of Devotion and Dreamers, Gods and Gifts, with a Dreamless Archon acting as the Gods' mortal representative. But Archons are not eternal, and a successor must be found.

You are Dreamless: free to choose your own destiny, to ask questions others dare not, or even become Archon yourself.

Moonring is a retro-inspired open-world, turn-based, tile RPG in the style of the classic Ultima games, but created from the ground up with modern design sensibilities.

The world's geography is hand-designed, but the deadly dungeons beneath the surface reconfigure each time you leave... or die.

Travel, trade, sneak, fight and sail the world of Caldera. Speak with the townsfolk, learn Caldera's secrets, and challenge the Archon for his throne... or even overthrow the Gods themselves!
Features:
seemed cool until i saw the actual footage.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

rusty_shackleford wrote: August 31st, 2023, 02:09

Dev for this made fun of canadian government game funding in one of his videos saying he'd never get it because his game doesn't feature a story about an indigenous bi-gender protagonist, so I'm going to shill it. He's been working on it for six years.
whoa wtf, where did this come from? I've been itching for some RTwP for a while now. Downloading the demo now.
this one also looks interesting. Doesn't look as immediately interesting as Journey for the Crown, but I've been really jonesing for RTwP lately. Harder to get a 3d RTwP right though, it's easier for the devs to manage when they restrict the camera.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Here's a shitty immersive sim that's not going to release until 2026 :lol: and has a dev that argues with people who say that it seems stupid to release your game that early.

rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

rusty_shackleford wrote: September 29th, 2023, 17:45

Features:
zoomer games look like they're designed to give people seizures because they lose interest the moment there isn't a bouncy, flashing animation constantly going off

looks like absolute dogshit
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

This is a mobile port, right?

A hundred years have passed since the gate to Hell opened, deep in the Black Forest of southern Germany. The world has since been infested by beasts and fiends of all kinds, but portents tell of a greater threat on the horizon – your Witch Hunters are all that stand between humanity and certain doom.

An RPG with real-time exploration and turn-based tactical combat, Hexxen: Hunters takes you to a dark alternate history where the fate of the world rests on your shoulders. Liberate a remote hamlet from the clutches of an evil cult and establish your base of operations, developing it to arm your Hunters with everything from weapons and alchemical concoctions to arcane research and magical devices. Train your Hunters to overcome seemingly insurmountable odds, and prepare to sacrifice your very soul in the defense of humanity.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Despite using asset store assets for characters that are incredibly ugly, this looks like a niche-filling game.

Last edited by rusty_shackleford on October 10th, 2023, 05:13, edited 1 time in total.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Yeah. Actually finished is the operative. Tired of early access ghostware.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

DavidBVal says that Archaelund will be available in early access by 2 months from today.
I'm pleased to announce that in two months from today (by december 21st if all goes according to plan) we will press the magic button and release the Early Access version of Archaelund on the Steam Store.

This first release will feature the initial chapter of the Archaelund's main quest, plus a large region to explore freely with plenty of side-quests, dialogues, challenges and secrets. By our estimates, this means 12-15 hours of content.

We look forward to add more of the beautiful areas we've been working on, and let you explore all the secrets of Archaelund, but we believe it is better to limit the initial content until the areas have been properly tested and given the detail they deserve. Of course, once you purchase the Early Access version, you will get all the future updates of the game at no extra cost.

The Early Access already includes a good measure of Archaelund's rule system. There are five playable races, fifteen careers, fourteen skills, over 60 Talents (unique abilities), and over 50 spells. All of this to cover just the early levels of character development.

I'm immensely excited to share Archaelund with the players, and we count on you to make this game better. Don't hesitate to ask any questions in the Steam Discussions, or at our forums.

Thank you!

David
4 Dimension Games
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Acrux wrote: September 29th, 2023, 17:38
Released to early access. This is from the same guy who made Inferno: Beyond the 7th Circle. IMO there were two things holding that game back: single character DRPG and UI scaling. Both of those are things he's updated for Ludus Mortis.

Does this maintain the distance mechanic of his other two games?
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

I didn't see it in the first dungeon, but I set it aside for now after completing that. He said some mechanics will open up in later areas.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

This game went under my radar, seems like it has a lot of Gothic influence from going through the dev updates, been in development for a while.
Element

Post by Element »

rusty_shackleford wrote: October 23rd, 2023, 17:56
This game went under my radar, seems like it has a lot of Gothic influence from going through the dev updates, been in development for a while.
The spin attack was unintentionally amusing.
Looks significantly worse than some of the DS knock offs that have appeared over the years, whatever its inspiration may be.
Last edited by Element on October 23rd, 2023, 18:11, edited 1 time in total.
Sweeper

Post by Sweeper »

Element wrote: October 22nd, 2023, 16:06
Is there anything even semi-decent coming out?
Let me check my wishlist.
Code of the Savage RELEASE DATE: 9 Jun, 2018
Call of Saregnar RELEASE DATE: To be announced
SKALD: Against the Black Priory RELEASE DATE: 2023
Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen RELEASE DATE: To be announced
Underrail Infusion - Doesn't even have a steam page.
All of these are guaranteed kino.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Sweeper wrote: October 26th, 2023, 10:15
I heard this is coming out soon. Can anyone confirm?
Sweeper

Post by Sweeper »

rusty_shackleford wrote: October 26th, 2023, 10:52
Sweeper wrote: October 26th, 2023, 10:15
I heard this is coming out soon. Can anyone confirm?
It'll come out one day, shut up, I'm not taking it off my wishlist. I BELIEVE!
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

This rolled across my desk, looks interesting, releases into early access in 2 days.

Can't think of any games I can directly compare it to right off the top of my head, more like a mix of games. Seems interesting.

The UI reminds me quite a bit of something but I can't put my finger on it. A few games, actually.

[edit]
gameplay:

looks fun
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on October 28th, 2023, 21:34, edited 2 times in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Feels like we're in some sort of turn-based dungeon crawler revival era. What's going on?
And yes despite the UI resembling Dungeon Master, it's tagged turn-based. Quite beautiful graphics, too.
UnfairTradeCoffee

Post by UnfairTradeCoffee »

Small Saga is finally out

I'm always on the lookout for non-woke games and since all the characters are rodents so there's absolutely no opportunity to insert niggers. The game takes place seemingly our the modern world but from the perspective of mice, also has a fantasy and heavily medieval flair with jrpg mechanics, honestly reminds me of the Redwall book series a bit. This game feels like a first of its kind in combining these traits.

addendum: Seems that the dev is a troon, by his own admittance on cohost.org and and by the fact that he changed his steam username from Jeremy to Darya sometime during the development of Small Saga apparently. Does RPGHQ separate the artist from the art, the dev from the game? Can't say for sure just how much poz made it into the actual script of the game game, but I am very cautious about these things. Fuck this mind virus bullshit.

Also, Backpack Hero!

Wow, 3 animal games??? Backpack Hero seems more like what you expect from an indie game. I was also waiting for this release, but finally allowing myself to look at the gameplay, the lack of attack animations really dissapointed me. The gameplay is presented in a simple style where you just sidescroll symbolically according to your map on the top of the screen, the backgrounds leave a lot to be desired. There's also a nice town building section in between dungeon dives. The music though, the music, it reminds me of a several snes games.
Last edited by UnfairTradeCoffee on November 19th, 2023, 02:32, edited 1 time in total.
Lhynn
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Lhynn »

UnfairTradeCoffee wrote: November 16th, 2023, 21:55

I'm always on the lookout for non-woke games and since all the characters are rodents so there's absolutely no opportunity to insert niggers. The game takes place seemingly our the modern world but from the perspective of mice, also has a fantasy and heavily medieval flair with jrpg mechanics, honestly reminds me of the Redwall book series a bit. This game feels like a first of its kind in combining these traits.

addendum: Seems that the dev is a troon, by his own admittance on cohost.org and and by the fact that he changed his steam username from Jeremy to Darya sometime during the development of Small Saga apparently. Does RPGHQ separate the artist from the art, the dev from the game? Can't say for sure just how much poz made it into the actual script of the game game, but I am very cautious about these things. Fuck this mind virus bullshit.

Also, Backpack Hero!

Wow, 3 animal games??? Backpack Hero seems more like what you expect from an indie game. I was also waiting for this release, but finally allowing myself to look at the gameplay, the lack of attack animations really dissapointed me. The gameplay is presented in a simple style where you just sidescroll symbolically according to your map on the top of the screen, the backgrounds leave a lot to be desired. There's also a nice town building section in between dungeon dives. The music though, the music, it reminds me of a several snes games.
Are you a furry?
UnfairTradeCoffee

Post by UnfairTradeCoffee »

Lhynn wrote: November 19th, 2023, 23:29
UnfairTradeCoffee wrote: November 16th, 2023, 21:55

Also, Backpack Hero!

Are you a furry?
No, just someone who grew up enjoying Disney's Robin Hood and Richard Scarry children's books. Thinking it over, probably should include The Cat Returns and The Rescuers. There's just something about telling a story with animals as a backdrop to be so charming.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

A good time to add this. Another rpg with anthropomorphic animals, but plenty of choice and consequences. Furries and faggots are freaking out because there's no gay romance in it.