We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

RPG release/entered early access thread. Also upcoming.

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Breathe wrote: February 16th, 2024, 04:59
2.976k games in account... What the fuck.
@krokodil has something like 12k games iirc
or I'm misremembering and it's 1.2k
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on February 16th, 2024, 13:47, edited 1 time in total.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Acrux wrote: February 16th, 2024, 05:07
Wow, almost 3 whole games!
Out of almost 3 thousand games, maybe 3 would be memorable in a good way.
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

If I didn't use the k maybe that would've worked.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 15th, 2024, 18:39
1998 wrote: February 15th, 2024, 18:29
Interesting, I never played the games, but considering they also release this one, I assumed it is a new game.

That might also be a remaster of yet another Sea Dogs.
I think @wndrbr knows something about the series.

Either way, I'll download their newest release and check it out. Never played any of them before.

[edit]
After checking again, I think Sea Dogs Legendary Edition is the same game as Caribbean Legend. It seems like an IP issue.
This also apparently has some homebrew DRM attached to it :pirate:
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Watching him play a game where you're supposed to read descriptions is infuriating, and this is someone who plays roguelikes/RPGs for a living.
Do most people really just not read abilities or equipment information?
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

I can't really stand watching him much anymore. I just skim through the video to see if the game looks interesting with the sound off.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I haven't seen anything from indie games that I liked in a long time, the indie scene could call itself AAA and I wouldn't notice.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Acrux wrote: February 18th, 2024, 00:26
I can't really stand watching him much anymore. I just skim through the video to see if the game looks interesting with the sound off.
Nobody else seems to play as many games of this type as he does, so choices are limited.

KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

maidenhaver wrote: February 16th, 2024, 13:52
I'd say that's a big issue with modern gaming: oversaturation. When you're a kid and have to rely on your parents for every game you get, you tend to have a very small selection to choose from. This meant you played only a handful of games, and played each one to completion to get the maximum enjoyment factor possible. Now?, games are a dime a dozen and cheap as chips (if not cheaper). There are more Metroidvanias, roguelikes, RPGs, FPS's, TPS's, platformers than you can ever play in your entire life. This means the hobby gets less interesting and more disposable.
Element

Post by Element »

Only the top end triple A stuff still seems to make people take a prolonged interest, but that is getting pozzed beyond belief so
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

KnightoftheWind wrote: February 18th, 2024, 18:52
maidenhaver wrote: February 16th, 2024, 13:52

I'd say that's a big issue with modern gaming: oversaturation. When you're a kid and have to rely on your parents for every game you get, you tend to have a very small selection to choose from. This meant you played only a handful of games, and played each one to completion to get the maximum enjoyment factor possible. Now?, games are a dime a dozen and cheap as chips (if not cheaper). There are more Metroidvanias, roguelikes, RPGs, FPS's, TPS's, platformers than you can ever play in your entire life. This means the hobby gets less interesting and more disposable.
Normal people pirated games.
KnightoftheWind

That devalues games even more though. Thousands of 'free' games?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

KnightoftheWind wrote: February 18th, 2024, 19:13
Which means your theory is bunk. Old games were significantly better on average.
Even if 99/100 were crap then, 9999/10000 are crap now.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 18th, 2024, 18:46
Nobody else seems to play as many games of this type as he does, so choices are limited.

I do have that one, I don't remember if I found out about it from him or not. Still has a long way to go, but the new faction update is a big help.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

I really hate this dude but he's the only consistent poster that airs up-and-coming indie titles. I have to put his videos on mute because he's so annoying and also a bumbling idiot. When I was younger there used to be dozens of channels(of decent quality as well) that previewed and even reviewed indie titles like this, but they all switched to normgroid streaming or vanished.
KnightoftheWind

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 18th, 2024, 19:14
KnightoftheWind wrote: February 18th, 2024, 19:13
Which means your theory is bunk. Old games were significantly better on average.
Even if 99/100 were crap then, 9999/10000 are crap now.
That has nothing to do with that I'm saying. What I'm saying is that the quantity of available games, paid or free, good or bad, is too damn high. And they're sold for such low prices it doesn't matter if you pirate them or not, you can get hundreds of games and not spend much money. And if you do pirate, well the only limit is your storage space. Every game ever made is available right at your fingertips, a fun thought but that's it.

The supply of video games has far outpaced it's demand, and developers are sorely lacking in creativity to even come close to mitigating this problem. We're still seeing games play the same as they did 20+ years ago, we haven't really advanced a whole lot past the PS2 era in anything besides graphics. If anything, a lot of stuff has gotten worse and not better. This means people get burnt out of video games, because they all look and play more-or-less the same, and they'd sooner just download a rom for free. The amount of choice available is overwhelming.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Forgot about Nookrium, only downside is he has his face on the screen for whatever reason.
https://www.youtube.com/@Nookrium/videos
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

I thought that stupid fucking soap was going to be their most disappointing announcement
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Have any of you played this?

Full game releases March 6th, btw.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on February 22nd, 2024, 06:45, edited 1 time in total.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Yes, been playing regularly since EA release. One of the better DRPGs released recently. It's by the same developer of Inferno, but is much more polished. It has a good selection of classes and skills. I like the way nearly everything is done - class limitations, dungeon scaling, character/party management. There's a lot of game packed into it.
BobT

Post by BobT »

Goddamnit you cunts are filling up my wishlist even more!