We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

RPG release/entered early access thread. Also upcoming.

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Lhynn
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Lhynn »

2023 goty, easily, got released a few days ago, been hammering it since.

UnfairTradeCoffee

Post by UnfairTradeCoffee »

Lhynn wrote: November 20th, 2023, 22:37
2023 goty, easily, got released a few days ago, been hammering it since.

Just from the release trailer alone, I find the art style to be quite charming, but the pixel art quality is stunning. Also the content seems to be rich in Chinese culture and mythology. It's always nice to see Chinese games not be mobile gacha games. (Looking at you Black Myth: Wukong, not posting it here because it's not an RPG I think)

How's the translation though? Reviewers say it's not that good.
Lhynn
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Lhynn »

I have found the translation to be great on release, so far I havent found rough dialogues, but maybe it is because im too used to reading MTL nonsense that I find this shit easy to understand. The game gets revealed to the player at the players own pace, as you explore and increase your affinity with people and find scenes. So far im finding it just plain great.
SpellSword

Post by SpellSword »

The developer of Legends of Amberland: The Forgotten Crown has announced that the sequel Legends of Amberland II: The Song of Trees will be released on 5th December 2023.

Platforms: GOG, Steam, Nintendo Switch & XBOX.

Silver Lemur Games's official site:
https://www.silverlemurgames.com/2023/1 ... -of-trees/
► Screenshots
Rand

Post by Rand »

Independent thread for this also started for updates in the coming months
SpellSword

Post by SpellSword »

I haven't heard of this one before. SNEG is re-releasing a bunch of older games on GOG including an RPG called: Prophecy of the Shadow
A 1992 fantasy role-playing game developed by Strategic Simulations for MS-DOS. In this title, the land is slowly dying, and it is your mission to find out why. Your character is a disciple of Larkin of Bannerwick, but when he is murdered, you are blamed for his death. What’s also unfortunate is that you possess magical powers, but the king has outlawed all magic.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

• Level scaled itemization
  • "Genderlocked" classes, but They/Them to appease the ravenous wolves who wanted male Valkyries
  • Unskippable prologue
  • Combat is about 1 step down from Battle Brothers
Yeah, there's a reason I skipped this one.
Last edited by Acrux on December 19th, 2023, 04:11, edited 2 times in total.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

SpellSword wrote: December 1st, 2023, 14:19
I haven't heard of this one before. SNEG is re-releasing a bunch of older games on GOG including an RPG called: Prophecy of the Shadow
A 1992 fantasy role-playing game developed by Strategic Simulations for MS-DOS. In this title, the land is slowly dying, and it is your mission to find out why. Your character is a disciple of Larkin of Bannerwick, but when he is murdered, you are blamed for his death. What’s also unfortunate is that you possess magical powers, but the king has outlawed all magic.
Did a video on this one. Very simplistic Ultima 6 style clone, interesting magic system, terribly easy to die or miss vital quest objects. I owned it when it was new, but didn't finish it till about 5 or 6 years after the fact because I didn't realize you could walk on certain tiles in the swamp. Nothing stellar, but comfy.
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

The Iron Oath
So, Battle Brothers.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

My Gamer Senses are telling me this will be an early access scam at best.

Kinstrife is a non-linear singleplayer medieval RPG with physically simulated combat – become a knight errant in tumultuous 13th-century Germany!

Journey through immersive landscapes filled with castles, monasteries, villages and forests. Travel with your sword at your side and your trusted retinue behind you, as you build up your skill, renown and wealth. Fight your way through realistic medieval battles, duels and sieges, rise up among the lords of the land and take part in tournaments to win fame and riches.

Our cutting-edge physically simulated combat system makes the impact of each swing count – weapons don’t simply clip through but instead deliver staggering blows, characters fall when losing their balance and horse charges knock down your opponents. Feel like you’re wielding a sword yourself, mastering your moves with various historical weapons: Each attack, feint or parry creates unique, interesting, natural situations – rewarding experimentation, different playstyles and replayability.
Last edited by Oyster Sauce on December 23rd, 2023, 14:38, edited 1 time in total.
Goblin_Hammer

Post by Goblin_Hammer »

Looks interesting, last update about was from July of last year.
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

Goblin_Hammer wrote: January 6th, 2024, 23:10

What is this "art style" called? Flat textures? Idk but for years I've instantly disliked games with this visual style, and there are lots of them.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

We need a moratorium on using the word Fall in any new game titles.
Goblin_Hammer

Post by Goblin_Hammer »

Breathe wrote: January 7th, 2024, 02:31

What is this "art style" called? Flat textures? Idk but for years I've instantly disliked games with this visual style, and there are lots of them.
Yeah, this art style is as bad as pixel or voxel art of how much it's used in indie gaming space. It looks like maybe trying to go for an early 3D RPG like King's Field but without the PS1 aesthetic.
Rand

Post by Rand »

What is this "art style" called?
Default Unity engine.
Last edited by Rand on January 7th, 2024, 03:36, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Untextured.
Mortmal

Post by Mortmal »

rusty_shackleford wrote: December 19th, 2023, 00:40
Any of you played this?
Ok but very repetitive and there's nothing else than combat in darkest dungeon style exploration, which means not much exploration. Wouldnt recommend unless heavily discounted.
Element

Post by Element »

Is that morrowind pre alpha?
Lhynn
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Lhynn »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 17th, 2024, 03:47
Any of you played this?
Had my eye on it, ill try it later and let you know my thoughts.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

rusty_shackleford wrote: August 31st, 2023, 02:09

Dev for this made fun of canadian government game funding in one of his videos saying he'd never get it because his game doesn't feature a story about an indigenous bi-gender protagonist, so I'm going to shill it. He's been working on it for six years.
This game just changed it's name to Worldstone Chronicles for some reason.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Neocore announced a DLC for WH40k Inquisitor Martyr, appears to still be selling well years after release.
Don't know if it's anywhere official, but this is from their newsletter:
That's not all, we have a pretty cool surprise for today! You have enjoyed the Sororitas Class as much as we did, and this enthusiasm has inspired us to create something new for Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr.

We are happy to announce that a new class DLC will be available later this year, namely, the Hierophant Class! You will assume the role of an Inquisitor who can call in multiple acolytes to form a squad. Use your faith and authority to inspire your acolytes to carry out the Emperor's will, manage them like a true leader, and teach the Imperium's truth to all the heretics in the Caligari sector!

We will reveal more details in the time leading up to the release, we hope you will like the new features and abilities!
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Oyster Sauce wrote: December 23rd, 2023, 14:32

My Gamer Senses are telling me this will be an early access scam at best.

Kinstrife is a non-linear singleplayer medieval RPG with physically simulated combat – become a knight errant in tumultuous 13th-century Germany!

Journey through immersive landscapes filled with castles, monasteries, villages and forests. Travel with your sword at your side and your trusted retinue behind you, as you build up your skill, renown and wealth. Fight your way through realistic medieval battles, duels and sieges, rise up among the lords of the land and take part in tournaments to win fame and riches.

Our cutting-edge physically simulated combat system makes the impact of each swing count – weapons don’t simply clip through but instead deliver staggering blows, characters fall when losing their balance and horse charges knock down your opponents. Feel like you’re wielding a sword yourself, mastering your moves with various historical weapons: Each attack, feint or parry creates unique, interesting, natural situations – rewarding experimentation, different playstyles and replayability.
Literally identical to Kingdom Come: Deliverance in every way.