We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Tipping Culture - Discussion and Entitled Zoomie Memes

Something not gaming related? Discuss it here!
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Tipping Culture - Discussion and Entitled Zoomie Memes

Post by Shillitron »

Is tipping a necessary incentive for quality service or an enforced corporate 'gibme' tax that is abused?
In <current_year> where a tip is expected and you work backwards from there evaluating good or bad service, do zoomzooms even deserve it?
Should corporations who pay their employee's Indian Call Center wages be allowed to thrive off charity?
If you can't TIP.. should you be allowed to partake in a restaurant / food delivery experience?

[glow=red]DISCUSS!! ~ ~[/glow]

Also..

[glow=orange]Memes[/glow]

Last edited by Shillitron on March 2nd, 2023, 02:48, edited 2 times in total.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

I don't tip and I don't feel bad about it because in my state businesses can't pay less than minimum wage for tipping jobs. I wish tipping would go away as a practice.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

That AC pizza picture really makes me angry because it points out one of the modern problems with tipping: the expectation of a tip before the service has been provided.
MadPreacher

Post by MadPreacher »

Acrux wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 03:32
That AC pizza picture really makes me angry because it points out one of the modern problems with tipping: the expectation of a tip before the service has been provided.
Be thankful that's all that happens to your food for being a cheapskate. I've heard of servers and staff doctor food for non-tippers. Not that I condone that practice, but if you, as a customer, chose to go to a restaurant that has servers with tipping then you should figure that cost into your bill. If they give you good service then you tip well. If they give shitty service give a penny to send a message. Not leave a tip? The staff will remember what you did the next time you come around and ensure that you get the worst service possible like you deserve.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Yeah, I don't have a problem with tipping, per se, and we tend to tip generously (at my wife's insistence). My point is that there's been a shift towards expecting a tip before the service is even provided, probably due to online ordering become the norm and they expect you to tip through that instead of cash in-person.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

MadPreacher wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 03:47
If they give shitty service give a penny to send a message. Not leave a tip? The staff will remember what you did the next time you come around and ensure that you get the worst service possible like you deserve.
What is the staff's job exactly?

I'm supposed to be happy that they brought me my food and and didn't shit on it or stab me first?
I don't expect waiting staff to do a backflip - but their job is literally to take food a cook made and bring it to the table. I ask for nothing more - why do I have to pay extra for that?

I'm already paying a premium on the food. A bowl of pasta costing 40 bucks.. You want me to tip 20% baseline on top of that.. just cause you did your job?

And tipping options are showing up on everything now.. I'm seeing tip prompts for subway now.
You made a sub and want a tip? Really?

Tips are a gimmick to subsidize the service industry for corporations / business owners. Prove me wrong.

EDIT

Oh and don't even get me started on 'mandatory gratuity' the "Service Access Fee" from your local cable company. IE - another hidden cost we squeezed onto the receipt hoping you wouldn't notice because we couldn't rip you off any more on the inflated meal costs.
MadPreacher

Post by MadPreacher »

Acrux wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 04:14
Yeah, I don't have a problem with tipping, per se, and we tend to tip generously (at my wife's insistence). My point is that there's been a shift towards expecting a tip before the service is even provided, probably due to online ordering become the norm and they expect you to tip through that instead of cash in-person.
As a former server, when I would go into a restaurant with servers I would set $20 in $1s on the table and let the server know that this was their tip. I'd tell them that their tip would increase or decrease depending upon how well they did their job for me. You would be amazed at how much more work the server would put into ensuring your needs were taken care of without you having to say anything.

Mind you this was 20 years ago before the rampant inflation.

I don't care for servers that assume that they can do the worst job in the world and get paid. They presume that they just get my money for showing up and doing the bare minimum.

One time, my mother took my best friend, my sister, and I out to a pancake restaurant. We got a woman server that would rather spend her entire time flirting with good looking guys than to do her job. We had to constantly ask her to come over to take care of our needs and she would ignore the requests half of the time.

When it came time for us to pay the bill, I put a penny on the table to let her know she fucked up big time. We paid our bill ourselves because our waitress was too busy chasing after guys or people that looked wealthy.

As we're heading across the parking lot this thot comes chasing us down screaming, "I'm worth more than this penny!" She threw the penny at us. My best friend and I walked up to the hostess and asked to speak to the manager. She goes, "I am the manager. What can I do for you?"

We explained everything that happened. She thanked us and apologized for the bad service. She gave us a coupon for a free meal for our next visit. Next thing we saw was her getting up from her hostess seat to go into the dining room to grab the server. She pulled the server off to the side and fired her on the spot. My best friend and I walked out to our car. Behind us was the thot server sobbing about how us terrible customers cost her her fucking job. She blamed us and didn't accept responsibility for her actions that caused her to get fired.

I'm relaying these stories because I've known servers that really worked hard and others that assumed that they could put in the bare minimum to get a tip.
Shillitron wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 04:27
I'm supposed to be happy that they brought me my food and and didn't shit on it or stab me first?
Yes, you are supposed to pay them for the work they do. Do you get paid for the job you do?
I don't expect waiting staff to do a backflip - but their job is literally to take food a cook made and bring it to the table. I ask for nothing more - why do I have to pay extra for that?
I see you started with the hyperbole. That's always a sure sign that you're mentally stable enough to have a conversation with on this topic.

Their job is to ensure that your food is within the safe serving temperature and to ensure that you have a pleasant dining experience. On top of this there is the matter of them providing your food, drinks, etc...

You aren't paying extra for it. It's baked right into the cost of you going to said restaurant. This is why many restaurants now are using the default 20% tip baked into your bill before you even get it. If you don't want someone to wait on you then go cook your own meal at home.

If you choose to steal labor from another that shows you have no problem stealing from others.
I'm already paying a premium on the food. A bowl of pasta costing 40 bucks.. You want me to tip 20% baseline on top of that.. just cause you did your job?
I'm already paying x amount for the service your company provides. You want me to pay extra for your labor just because you did your job?
And tipping options are showing up on everything now.. I'm seeing tip prompts for subway now. You made a sub and want a tip? Really?
Well you decided to go to their restaurant. Why don't you save yourself the trouble of paying someone else to make your food for you and you do it yourself? I mean it's a cost you just can't possibly bear to pay right?
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

MadPreacher wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 04:34
Yes, you are supposed to pay them for the work they do. Do you get paid for the job you do?
Do they get a paycheck from their employer?
Your already paying a premium eating out.
I see you started with the hyperbole. That's always a sure sign that you're mentally stable enough to have a conversation with on this topic.
Non-statement, worthless.
Their job is to ensure that your food is within the safe serving temperature and to ensure that you have a pleasant dining experience.
You aren't paying extra for it. It's baked right into the cost of you going to said restaurant. If you don't want someone to wait on you then go cook your own meal at home.
If you choose to steal labor from another that shows you have no problem stealing from others.
The cook ensures the food is within safe serving temperature.
If I eat at a restaurant I am already paying an overhead cost. I want to know the costs upfront, not have magical line items show up after I've finished.

"Hello, here is the costs of your food & drink items.. but you know you should pay more right?"

If they charged a service fee at the door I would be much more in favor of that. Then let the market sort it out.
And tipping options are showing up on everything now.. I'm seeing tip prompts for subway now. You made a sub and want a tip? Really?
Well you decided to go to their restaurant. Why don't you save yourself the trouble of paying someone else to make your food for you and you do it yourself? I mean it's a cost you just can't possibly bear to pay right?
I wonder how that will work for an already crippled service industry when no customers walk through the door for entitled waiting staff to bitch about. :eyebrows:
MadPreacher

Post by MadPreacher »

Shillitron wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 04:42
Do they get a paycheck from their employer?
Irregardless of them getting a paycheck or not, it's your responsibility to pay for their labor. In using the tipping model a business is telling you as a customer have control over how well you want to pay your server. This is to reward good servers for doing a good job and punishing bad servers doing a terrible job. This is the market model showing how it works. You, as a customer, are still paying their wages.

It's nice of you to ignore the fact that the server is responsible for paying the taxes etc... on their tips that you as a customer provided.
Non-statement, worthless.
Much like your entire opinion on this subject.
The cook ensures the food is within safe serving temperature.
No, the cook ensures that he fixes the food that you order is done properly in a restaurant that uses servers. He also ensures that the food is still fresh and not spoiled. The server's job is to ensure that the food is still at 165 F and above before it gets to you. You haven't worked in a restaurant and that's quite obvious since there are times that food will sit up under a heat lamp either due to a shitty server or a very busy restaurant.
If I eat at a restaurant I am already paying an overhead cost.
Incorrect. When you go to a restaurant you are agreeing to participate in the commerce model established by the company. You aren't paying any overhead.
I want to know the costs upfront
You do know the costs upfront. You know that you will be required to a pay a tip that is based entirely upon what you order. That is a cost that only you determine at the time of when you order. It's up to you to ensure that you pay the fair market wage of the employee serving you as per your agreement to engage in commerce with the restaurant. You agreed to it the moment you entered the premises and sat down to place an order.
"Hello, here is the costs of your food & drink items.. but you know you should pay more right?"
Only if you're a retard that doesn't know that you are in a restaurant that uses servers. Are you a retard? I ask because it sounds like you are.
If they charged a service fee at the door I would be much more in favor of that.
They do. It's called tipping where you as a customer agree to use the company's service and pay the 15-20% tip for the amount of goods you ordered. It sounds like you enjoy a bit of breach of contract where you expect others to do all this work as a slave and you not pay them.
I wonder how that will work for an already crippled service industry when no customers walk through the door for entitled waiting staff to bitch about
As I said if you don't want to deal with the tipping as per the contract of eating in a restaurant that uses it then don't use that company. Don't sit there and try to justify you wanting to be a slaver and exploit people for free labor. Do you work for free? No, you don't, so don't expect others to do what you won't.

As for entitlement, the only one that thinks they're entitled to free labor are slave owners and those that think certain professions are below the standards for earning a wage to live on. That would be you.
MadPreacher

Post by MadPreacher »

Tweed wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 05:38
Tipping is complete bullshit and needs to end as a practice.
I agree and everyone should be forced to pay the higher prices of the restaurant.

How much higher?

According to one article where a restaurant actually did it the prices went up by 21-25% more. That's because the company is now on the hook for the collecting of taxes from payroll to FICA plus worker's comp and other insurance that is tied to wages of an employee.
The facts of the plan are pretty straightforward: Starting with a trial run at its midtown Manhattan restaurant the Modern, USHG will roll out Hospitality Included to all its restaurants by the end of 2016. TL;DR: Prices go up for diners 21-25 percent, wages go up for non-tipped staff, and formerly tipped staff will see their take-home pay remain the same, if not rise.
Source

Enjoy your higher priced eating out.
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

I tip for deliveries, depending on distance, and dine-in service, depending on quality of service and whether there's no "service" or "recovery" charge added to the bill. I never tip when picking up food from a place.
Last edited by Nemesis on March 2nd, 2023, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

American moment.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

Does tipping even exist outside of North America. I know in several countries it's actually rude to tip, it's considered belittling.. meanwhile we've got employee of the month over here screaming "PAY ME FOR MY LABOUR!!"..

AFAIK nowhere else in the world is tipping so prevalent - although maybe these delivery services are changing that?
MadPreacher

Post by MadPreacher »

Shillitron wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 18:39
"PAY ME FOR MY LABOUR!!"..
Yeah getting paid for your work is so terrible. Do you work for free? I want to see if you are willing to do what you demand others to do that you won't.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

Does tipping even exist outside of North America. I know in several countries it's actually rude to tip, it's considered belittling.. meanwhile we've got employee of the month over here screaming "PAY ME FOR MY LABOUR!!"..

AFAIK nowhere else in the world is tipping so prevalent - although maybe these delivery services are changing that?
In most of Europe we tip for outstanding service if we feel like it, and the amount is up to the client. We often tip small amounts to round up the bill as a convenience. Asians are the ones that consider tipping rude or weird.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

MadPreacher wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 18:47
"PAY ME FOR MY LABOUR!!"..
Yeah getting paid for your work is so terrible. Do you work for free? I want to see if you are willing to do what you demand others to do that you won't.
Customer pays your employer.
Your employer pays you.
MadPreacher

Post by MadPreacher »

Shillitron wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 19:24
Your employer pays you.
Again you don't work for free so why do you expect a server to do the same? When you enter a restaurant with a server you agree to the terms of said service. That includes paying a tip for the work done. Why do you demand people to work for free? Do you work for free?

Personally, I think you're fucking retarded and defective in the brainpan.

EDIT: By being for slavery of servers and being a miser I'm going to declare you to be a Jew. Only Jews are so greedy that they are for slavery of others.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

I assume servers spit in my food regardless of what I do and tip accordingly
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

MadPreacher wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 20:42
Again you don't work for free so why do you expect a server to do the same?
Your employer pays you.
MadPreacher

Post by MadPreacher »

Shillitron wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 21:57
MadPreacher wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 20:42
Again you don't work for free so why do you expect a server to do the same?
I'm a Jew and hate paying people for their labor.
You don't say. Hi Tovi.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

Americans even tip their foreskins to their doctors as an act of gratitude for being born.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

Segata Sanshiro wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 23:00
Americans even tip their foreskins to their doctors as an act of gratitude for being born.
Goy that's different.. Your penis will get dirty if you don't let rabbi hutzpah bite it off.. Oy vey... Tipping is one thing.. but drop this subject immediately.
GothGirlSupremacy

Post by GothGirlSupremacy »

I only tip barbers and plumbers.

Waitresses that are hot can get a tip. But they gotta grab it from out my pocket themselves, EHEHEHEH.
Gastrick
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gastrick »

Tipping means you are poorer than you were if you didn't tip. That is reason enough for me to never tip.
MadPreacher

Post by MadPreacher »

Gastrick wrote: March 4th, 2023, 02:57
Tipping means you are ethical and moral than you were if you didn't tip as that means you enjoy slavery and making other people poor.. That is reason enough for me to never tip because I'm a dirty stinking Jew that wants to enslave the world.
You don't say. ;)
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

MadPreacher wrote: March 4th, 2023, 04:07
Gastrick wrote: March 4th, 2023, 02:57
Tipping means you are ethical and moral than you were if you didn't tip as that means you enjoy slavery and making other people poor.. That is reason enough for me to never tip because I'm a dirty stinking Jew that wants to enslave the world.
You don't say. ;)

Take your pills.
MadPreacher

Post by MadPreacher »

Shillitron wrote: March 4th, 2023, 06:36
I take my pills to avoid the guilty feelings of being a Jew.
You should not take drugs as they can be extremely unhealthy.