We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Sweeper

Post by Sweeper »

rusty_shackleford wrote: December 14th, 2023, 12:16
This is the greatest game ever created
Good to see you've finally seen the light Rusty.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

don't understand in the least what people find fun about this game
owlscat games are the ubisoft formula of rpgs
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

I'm only playing it because I'm bored and there's not many games out atm worth playing. It's not like I got a huge backlog of games I haven't touched, it's quite the opposite with me - I got a gaming PC that's hardly being used for gaming at all.

I didn't find Rogue Trader to be all that woke, at worst it's fairly minimal - a few niggers, and strong women, but you can take the giga-based [Dogmatic] options and purge these heretics if you want, or send them packing.

I admittedly didn't read 80% of the dialogue, so I can't really comment on the writing, so it's possible I missed some really cringe stuff. Owlcat's track record on writing is one of the reasons why I didn't bother reading most of it, so I expect it's more of the usual, so anyone here who's taken the time to read literally everything can confirm or deny that.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

it has nothing to do with it being "woke", it just sucks
pillows of eternity tier dialogue combined with very easy and boring combat
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

I never found the combat to be all that difficult in any of these run of the mill cRPGs. The more build faggy a game is, the more options you have for "creative usage of game mechanics" to trivialize the said game's combat. So, Rogue Trader is guilty of being more of the same in that regard.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Their pathfinder games at least had access to things like the large D&D spell lists to help add depth. Each combat in this game I'm just going through the motions, then get healed up when combat is over and go walk to the next combat.

There's no resource management or long term thinking involved, no macro or micro. Consume combat encounter and get excited for next combat encounter, followed by skipping over pages upon pages of useless dialogue.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on December 15th, 2023, 03:17, edited 1 time in total.
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

I agree that It required a little bit more knowledge and effort (reading mostly) to make busted builds in pathfinder games, but the end result was more or less the same as in Rogue Trader.

In games with limited resources, whether that's consumables or high tier spells you can't use every fight, you just learn to use them sparingly. It doesn't require any long term thinking or plan if you're used to playing these types of games. I find that my inventory ends up loaded to the brim with "finite" consumables I'll never use, so I end up hording them instead. It's a matter of figuring out how to minimize the damage or status effects you take during encounters, while minimizing the reliance on finite, or semi-finite (spell) resources.

Early game Rogue Trader, you were very limited on medkits, I went with a warrior heavy group for reasons posted above. Later on after getting actual healing spells, and medkit availability improves, I favored more ranged characters over warriors. But *even if* hypothetically speaking, the resource crunch of early game remained the same throughout the rest of the game, and psykers and navigators spells were semi-finite resources (like D&D mage spells), and ammo for gunners was semi-finite, I could have still teabagged every encounter using warriors, it would have been less efficient, but it would have gotten the job done, but it wouldn't have enhanced the gameplay in any meaningful way.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

rusty_shackleford wrote: December 15th, 2023, 03:16
Their pathfinder games at least had access to things like the large D&D spell lists to help add depth. Each combat in this game I'm just going through the motions, then get healed up when combat is over and go walk to the next combat.

There's no resource management or long term thinking involved, no macro or micro. Consume combat encounter and get excited for next combat encounter, followed by skipping over pages upon pages of useless dialogue.
Honestly having to plan out highly specific spells from a massive list of mostly meaningless abilities every day is one of the gayest forms of resource management and something I always loathed about dnd and its descendants, glad they got rid of it. Do people actually enjoy having to lose an encounter because your mage, who's capable of producing explosions with their brain, forgot to bring two uses of the piss-your-pants spell?
WaterMage

Post by WaterMage »

Psyker powers in this game where made by d&d 4e fans. Seriously. In evey single game control allows you to take control over enemies, in this game only to waste resources.Molten Bean deals less dmg than any sniper and the gameplay is all about stacking 5758r8575586574755766 buffs and debuffs

Hell even pf2e and starfinder rules would be a improvement over it
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

The only reason to be a psyker is to set yourself on fire, and then melee enemies to death. Just as the Emperor would have wanted.

"Mage" psykers absolutely seething at this game though
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

I guess this will be my final post here, since the thread is pretty much dead. If anyone else is interested in the rest of the OST, just look at the composer's YT channel.

rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

The_Mask wrote: January 26th, 2024, 21:41
since the thread is pretty much dead.
found the game to be somewhere between bad and mediocre tbh
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I guess this will be my final post here, since the thread is pretty much dead. If anyone else is interested in the rest of the OST, just look at the composer's YT channel.

I think its a boring ost fit for a cyberpunk game, not gothic space cathedral.
Lhynn
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Lhynn »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 26th, 2024, 21:44
since the thread is pretty much dead.
found the game to be somewhere between bad and mediocre tbh
Bad it isnt, its miles ahead anything nuobsidian has shat out. Wouldnt call it good, but it has its moments, and does the setting justice.

J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

Is it some sort of meta joke that Rogue Trader is a heritidary position in 40K sanctioned by the government? Or does everything need a loicence because the IP is from the UK?
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

What is it? Is it a kingmaker or a nuxcom?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

maidenhaver wrote: January 27th, 2024, 02:18
What is it? Is it a kingmaker or a nuxcom?
it's pillows of eternity dialogue combined with babby's first rpg combat and no exploration
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Fallout 1 with gay dialogs.

Post by 1998 »

And once again it's falling completely apart in the second half, dropped it after ~60h.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

1998 wrote: January 27th, 2024, 03:06
And once again it's falling completely apart in the second half, dropped it after ~60h.
I've been reading Steam and GOG user reviews, and apparently you get stripped of your gear at the start (or near the start) of Act III. This seems to be such a major inconvenience that most people feel irked.

Is this valid criticism or people crying like little bitches? I can't tell.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Its valid, and the game is shit. Just like the music.

Post by 1998 »

The_Mask wrote: January 27th, 2024, 03:26
I've been reading Steam and GOG user reviews, and apparently you get stripped of your gear at the start (or near the start) of Act III. This seems to be such a major inconvenience that most people feel irked.

For me, it's mostly that the little exploration the game had in the beginning gets less and less. You eventually will spend more time in loading screens and doing random bs than actually exploring/questing.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

The_Mask wrote: January 27th, 2024, 03:26

It's valid. First two acts were okay in my opinion but act III is where it falls apart. You lose all your items and its extremely vague about how to get them back. When you do, you now have to re-equip your entire party. That means every weapon, trinket, piece of armor etc. You can also permanently lose half of your companions in said section (not through combat, you just have to luck out and run into them, assuming you don't use a guide to determine the exact time and place they spawn during act III). It is essentially a repeat of the WOTR abyss section except somehow even worse. The worst part though is that afterwards, regardless of decisions, all the companions just act like it was no big deal and don't have much to say. What should have been an interesting change of scenery ended up just being a massive headache and waste of time.
Last edited by Nammu Archag on February 21st, 2024, 03:02, edited 1 time in total.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

If anyone wanted a good laugh: