We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Elden Ring and Shadow of the Erdtree expansion

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
SDG

Post by SDG »

You are not worth seeing. Congrats on being my first ignore.
madbringer
Turtle
Turtle

Post by madbringer »

KnightoftheWind wrote: May 30th, 2023, 05:42
SDG wrote: May 30th, 2023, 05:37
KnightoftheWind wrote: May 30th, 2023, 05:31
Why do they think a massive open world game even needs DLC?. It's wasted effort and just adds more bloat to an already bloated experience. Maybe instead of making this crap they could've made a smaller, more unique game instead. Something like a Lost Kingdoms or a Shadow Tower.

From Software basically turned themselves into a meme with the Souls franchise.They now exist only to make the same game over and over again until the autists get tired of it.
I can't roll my eyes any harder. This is the Oblivion lover criticizing From Software of all things.
Oblivion is fantastic, and you don't see Bethesda making Oblivion 2, Oblivion 3 and Oblivion 4 in the span of a decade.
► Show Spoiler
. From Software is milking this gameplay formula for all it's worth, churning out sequels and rehashes like it's a fire sale. It's to the point where "Souls" is basically a Japanese fantasy version of Call of Duty. You know, I know, everyone knows it. We just don't like to point it out because for some reason we think From Software is above such a comparison.
Not sure why SDG is raging, it's true. Make a vague backstory that is kinda sorta Christian, paint over it with some random fantasy tropes, use the same mechanics over and over again, and boom - Souls games.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 30th, 2023, 05:59
maidenhaver wrote: May 30th, 2023, 03:48
still in the wrong forum.
I trust wunderbar's judgement.
Shame. This pure land has already fallen to nepotism. I knew it was only a matter of time.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

maidenhaver wrote: May 30th, 2023, 06:03
rusty_shackleford wrote: May 30th, 2023, 05:59
maidenhaver wrote: May 30th, 2023, 03:48
still in the wrong forum.
I trust wunderbar's judgement.
Shame. This pure land has already fallen to nepotism. I knew it was only a matter of time.
It's definitely not a JRPG.
Dork souls and its (true) derivatives are examples of games that implement choice and consequence in a non-terrible way, that is, not crappy dialogue options. Many(not me) consider it to be a prime requisite for RPGs.

If I were to make the thread, I'd probably put it in general video games. But it probably also ticks enough boxes to vaguely fall into RPG.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

maidenhaver wrote: May 30th, 2023, 06:26
Its a japanese rpg, dude.
JRPG is a genre, there are JRPGs made outside of Japan e.g., Anachronox.
madbringer
Turtle
Turtle

Post by madbringer »

Would you call Undertale a jrpg?
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 30th, 2023, 06:43
JRPG is a genre, there are JRPGs made outside of Japan e.g., Anachronox.
Yes, but they suck. Besides, jrpg also fits any rpg from japan. DRPGs are often called jrpgs.
madbringer wrote: May 30th, 2023, 06:48
Would you call Undertale a jrpg?
Isn't it just Earth Bound? Yeah, why not?
jcd

Post by jcd »

JRPG is a genre unto itself. It's more of a japanese-style RPG than any RPG originating from Japan. Calling Dark souls a JRPG is a misuse of the term, considering there are western JRPGs. Example:

A JRPG features turn based team combat, random encounters, typically simple equipment, heavy emphasis on story, etc. You've got to be a special breed of retard to call fromsoft games JRPGs. It's more of a western-style action RPG originating from Japan.
Ratcatcher
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ratcatcher »

I'm gonna but this crap pronto and play the shit out of it multiple times, all the while laughing at a good portion of you faggotz.

Just sayin'
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Oh, I'm still playing it. I tried quitting but I'm hooked.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

jcd wrote: May 30th, 2023, 11:26
It's more of a western-style action RPG originating from Japan.
There's nothing western styled about these games. No, I'm not watching your niggerfaggot inflooooencer tell me what I know is right is wrong. They're jrpgs, and that's final.
jcd

Post by jcd »

What niggerfaggot influencer? Are you high?
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Your youtube. I'm not watching it.
jcd

Post by jcd »

Oh ok, you're just clinically retarded
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

No son, I'm right and there's no avoiding my correctness. See this post: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=274-elden-ring-and- ... =12162#top
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

When I first read Yoshi P saying that the term JRPG is derogatory, I thought the complaint was ridiculous, but the more I read people calling Japanese games they don't like JRPG when those games have nothing to do with the genre, it looks like he was right.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

I definitely prefer how it's done with the codex where anything remotely Japanese goes in the jrpg forum
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

GhostCow wrote: May 31st, 2023, 15:15
I definitely prefer how it's done with the codex where anything remotely Japanese goes in the jrpg forum
Then a discussion on final fantasy 9 would go in the "RPGs" section because it was made in America.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Also reminded me of that time I played a Lord of the Rings game that was a blatant copy of Final Fantasy X.

I really do mean blatant copy:

IIRC it was pretty good, and I would recommend it based on what I remember.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 31st, 2023, 15:19
Then a discussion on final fantasy 9 would go in the "RPGs" section because it was made in America.
No, because FF9 is a jrpg. You're trying to delineate these strict categories based on mechanics only. JRPG had never been understood that way, as boxes that needed to be checked off, until youtubers needed something to talk about to themselves for ten minutes. RPGs made in Japan are jrpgs. Undertale is a jrpg, because its weeaboo trash. FF9 is a jrpg because its final fucking fantasy. Fire Emblem is a jrpg. SMT is a jrpg.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

maidenhaver wrote: May 31st, 2023, 20:18
No, because FF9 is a jrpg. You're trying to delineate these strict categories based on mechanics only. JRPG had never been understood that way, as boxes that needed to be checked off, until youtubers needed something to talk about to themselves for ten minutes. RPGs made in Japan are jrpgs. Undertale is a jrpg, because its weeaboo trash. FF9 is a jrpg because its final fucking fantasy. Fire Emblem is a jrpg. SMT is a jrpg.
FF9 is an American jrpg
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

JRPGs subforum should be merged with RPGs subforum so people can keep crying about JRPGs being in the wrong forum. Technically both are RPGs so it wouldn't be incorrect to merge them.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Dead wrote: May 31st, 2023, 20:34
JRPGs subforum should be merged with RPGs subforum so people can keep crying about JRPGs being in the wrong forum. Technically both are RPGs so it wouldn't be incorrect to merge them.
i kinda hate jrpgs
the early ones tended to be much better before they deviated significantly from their roots
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 31st, 2023, 20:27

FF9 is an American jrpg

See? That wasn't hard. We agree I'm right, and Dark Souls is a jrpg.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

maidenhaver wrote: May 31st, 2023, 21:15
rusty_shackleford wrote: May 31st, 2023, 20:27
FF9 is an American jrpg

See? That wasn't hard. We agree I'm right, and Dark Souls is a jrpg.
dark souls is a japanese action-adventure game
jcd

Post by jcd »

Georgia will be begging Putin for mercy within the next 12 months and there's nothing you can do
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

jcd wrote: May 31st, 2023, 21:26
Georgia will be pegging Putin for lulz
fify
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Dead wrote: May 31st, 2023, 20:34
This will probably create massive amounts of butthurt so I approve.