The Septerra Core Thread

And related anime RPGs go here.
UwU
The_Mask

The Septerra Core Thread

Post by The_Mask »

I just wanted to express my undying love towards this utterly mediocre title by starting this thread, *and* also by pointing out that I've found a channel of the designer of the game, and I have found several gems he has recorded back in the day:

Now... I doubt Rusty'll want to make a newspost out of this, but if there is *anyone* else that is excited about this, just 1 more person, then I am more than happy I've informed someone else that this exists!
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Septerra Core may be the first JRPG I ever played on the PC. I remember finding it in a $1 bargin bin at some shop. I was really into it for a few weeks and getting into the lore and all the different characters you can play. Then one day I realized what an unimpressive game it was and uninstalled it, never thinking about it again. Thanks for the reminder.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Cool videos, wish there were more videos like these for other games but I suspect a lot of the types of material that was saved for this game does not exist for many other games.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

I remember playing the game back in the day, but not if I actually liked it - felt similar to Anachronox in a way - an attempt by a Western developer to create a jRPG, and while there are plenty of examples of that today, those early efforts feel far more genuine and unique. Most modern Western "jRPGs" always feel like they're designed with a checklist in mind and come across as generic, even when the production values are clearly very high.
rusty_shackleford wrote: February 28th, 2023, 07:03
Cool videos, wish there were more videos like these for other games but I suspect a lot of the types of material that was saved for this game does not exist for many other games.
Depends on what was salvaged by singular developers, since companies seem to be awful at properly archiving assets and code for their projects. It's amazing what people can find laying around in some dusty box or overlooked floppy or CD. I imagine there's a lot of this stuff around, but the individuals with access to the data either forgot, aren't particularly interested in sharing or don't share because of copyright issues.
Cedric

Post by Cedric »

The game,. although passable, did have both an annoyingly high encounter rate AND no special boss music. It just used the normal encounter music. I never forgave it for that. Imagine being in charge of making a jrpg and not adding sick boss music?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Some guy maintains a port of this game to modern platforms btw(along with a few other games)
It's statically recompiled from the binary itself.
https://github.com/M-HT/SR/releases/tag ... _v1.04.0.9

Grab a copy of ' SepterraCore-Windows-x86-v1.04.0.9.zip ' if you're on windows. Check the readme-windows.txt file inside the zip.