We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

What game are you playing?

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Shillitron wrote: February 8th, 2023, 01:12
GhostCow wrote: February 7th, 2023, 22:46
level 1 npcs is the only mod I ever really felt the need to use. I've never cared for any of the kits that the party members have by default. It's also a huge shame that they didn't give us a single sorcerer, yet we got a ton of mages.
What does "level 1 npcs" do and why did you feel it was needed?
Does it really set all "random commoners" to level 1? Why is that important?
IIRC it makes party members join at level 1 so you can level them up manually.

Also, depending on how you feel about this, you might want to consider a mod that keeps NPCs who aren't partied appropriately leveled with the party. I don't find grinding XP in a D&D game to be good design.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

level 1 npcs is the only mod I ever really felt the need to use. I've never cared for any of the kits that the party members have by default. It's also a huge shame that they didn't give us a single sorcerer, yet we got a ton of mages.
What Rusty said but also you can change pretty much everything about them. Race, class, stats, ect. So if you like to power game but still want companions to talk to, there's your solution.
Barabus

Post by Barabus »

Squad and Sinking City
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

GhostCow wrote: February 8th, 2023, 01:20
What Rusty said but also you can change pretty much everything about them. Race, class, stats, ect. So if you like to power game but still want companions to talk to, there's your solution.

I am split on this.
Part of the flavor of BG1 / BG2 (vs IWD) is that you take NPC's with the good and the bad and work around their builds..

But also.. This mod sounds really fun.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Dungeon be gone is a pretty good mod for BG2 as well. It skips you straight to the end of the starting dungeon with all of the xp, gold, items, and companions you would have picked up along the way. It's a nice shortcut for people who have already played the game a dozen times.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

Fallout 2 with restoration project. Last time i played it was in 2015. This time i went for small arms sniper build and its pretty fun also this is the first time i ever explored EPA. For whatever reason i always ignored it.

I have plans to go through every fallout total conversion and maybe tactics.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

I'm oscillating between Patrician III: Rise of the Hanse, and a few other games, but that's mainly it.
agentorange

Post by agentorange »

RUNE. Cool setting even though I usually don't care for viking stuff, some good visual designs on the enemies and areas. But very very repetitive. Combat is simplistic and enemy variety is almost non-existent. Each area has a single type of enemy and you fight them over and over again in largely the same encounters. I don't know who thought it was a good idea to have the first few hours of the game consist solely of enemies that can only be killed by beheading them, and being that you can't aim your sword the process of trying to behead them involves a lot of finicky jumping around and luck.

That said I still am enjoying the game. It's nice to play a pre-Dark Souls third person action game, and I like the platforming maybe more so than the combat.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

I've been playing Fire Emblem Engage. It's ok. Normal mode is stupid easy though. I usually play games on normal because I assume that's how the devs intended the game to be played, but this is the first time I ever quit a game halfway through and started over to bump up the difficulty. I'm finally back to where I was before I restarted after two weekends of long sessions.

I'm currently using the Battle Outfits and More mod and the Exclusive Classes for Everyone mod. The first mod lets you make your girls cute regardless of class and the second one does what the name says. Good mod for if you want to use nothing but cute girls on your team, but still want a dancer.
Gastrick
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gastrick »

Have been playing the first Diablo, and it's a really fun and addictive game. Played a bit of it before, but for some reason stopped playing. Did melee fighter last time, and wanted to do a ranged character instead this time. Sorceror is a nigger here, but would rather play him than a woman (if those are the only options). Making sure only to save in towns to increase the tension. The lighting is pretty well done here, with how dark the dungeon appears.
viata

Post by viata »

Found a japanese book on "200 impossible/hard games to finish before dying", 100 of them are for NES and 100 for SNES. I'm doing the SNES games first.
I finished Parodius, which was the first game in that list and now I'm playing Bombuzal/Ka-blooey, a puzzle game first released on Amiga(or C64, can't remember which one). Since the game has 120 stages and I'm currently on stage 60, I decided to finish the easier games on that list on the side, which was Donkey Kong Country 1 and 3. I have no idea why it has no DKC2 when 2 is harder than 3. Each game took about 2 hours to finish. It's always a nice feeling to play a game you have not played for a long time and still remember everything about it.

Despite it being called "impossible/hard games", there are not that many hard games from the ones I know about. Each game has a few words that may explain why they were selected, but I decided to finish all SNES games first before reading it so I can have my opinion first before seeing why the author recommended that game. Funny enough, there is no Wizardry in the list, but Ultima VI is in the SNES list.
I plan to translate the book after finishing the games.
Gastrick
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gastrick »

viata wrote: February 12th, 2023, 18:12
Found a japanese book on "200 impossible/hard games to finish before dying", 100 of them are for NES and 100 for SNES. I'm doing the SNES games first.
I finished Parodius, which was the first game in that list and now I'm playing Bombuzal/Ka-blooey, a puzzle game first released on Amiga(or C64, can't remember which one). Since the game has 120 stages and I'm currently on stage 60, I decided to finish the easier games on that list on the side, which was Donkey Kong Country 1 and 3. I have no idea why it has no DKC2 when 2 is harder than 3. Each game took about 2 hours to finish. It's always a nice feeling to play a game you have not played for a long time and still remember everything about it.

Despite it being called "impossible/hard games", there are not that many hard games from the ones I know about. Each game has a few words that may explain why they were selected, but I decided to finish all SNES games first before reading it so I can have my opinion first before seeing why the author recommended that game. Funny enough, there is no Wizardry in the list, but Ultima VI is in the SNES list.
I plan to translate the book after finishing the games.
What is the title in Japanese? I am asking because looking it up in duckduckgo and google returns nothing.

That's pretty gay though that Donkey Kong Country 1 and 99 other SNES games are included. Outside of shmups, Super Ghosts n Ghouls and the U.S. port of 7th Saga, all SNES games are easy to normal in difficulty.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Gastrick wrote: February 12th, 2023, 20:01
What is the title in Japanese? I am asking because looking it up in duckduckgo and google returns nothing.
死ぬ前にクリアしたい200の無理ゲー ファミコン&スーファミ編
GothGirlSupremacy

Post by GothGirlSupremacy »

The_Mask wrote: February 8th, 2023, 23:25
I'm oscillating between Patrician III: Rise of the Hanse, and a few other games, but that's mainly it.
Why did you type, "oscillating?"
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

GothGirlSupremacy wrote: February 13th, 2023, 02:01
The_Mask wrote: February 8th, 2023, 23:25
Why did you type, "oscillating?"
Because that's how I thought the sentence in my head. LOL
SharkClub

Post by SharkClub »

I am playing Bloodborne for the first time, after just beating King's Field 1, 2, 3 and Shadow Tower... going from what are the slowest FromSoft games to the fastest is only a little bit jarring...
viata

Post by viata »

Turned out the Japanese version of the Ka-blooey/Bombuzal was so hard you can't even finish it without using password or "cheating":
この作品の80面はクリア不可能に設定されていた。これは当時、1面~100面までの面でクリア不可能な面を見つけ、ハガキに書いて応募するとプレゼントが貰える、というキャンペーンが行なわれていた為である[2]。しかしリモコン爆弾・ディゾルバータイル・カウントダウンを活用すれば、プレイヤーは爆風に巻き込まれるがなぜかクリアした事になってしまうために事実上キャンペーンが成立していなかった(1~100面までのパスワードが別紙に付属しており、81面のパスワードは『VASE』)[1]。
The VASE there is the password for stage 81.

Stage 80 in the Japanese version:
Now in the European version:
The difference between these two is the size of the bomb in the right side, the reddish ball in the middle. The japanese version has the big size, which will explode the teleport below it while the european version has the middle size which will not explode the teleport. The teleport has to stay intact to clear the stage.
However, as the japanese text above says, there is a way to clear it by "cheating", which is done as the video below shows:

The video should start at 6:26. The character is standing in a falling tile and so doing what the player does there is not expected to solve the puzzle(it's also a lot of trial-and-error since you could be throw into the water since that spinner direction is random.) First time reading the wikipedia page taught me something kek
Derringer

Post by Derringer »

Okage Shadow King, I was just going through some older throwaway blobbers I had some sort of interest in playing.
Lucky

Post by Lucky »

I've been playing Hollow Knight for a couple of days. It's the first non-turn-based game I've played in years so I was making some embarrassing mistakes while platforming in beginning, but it's been okay so far.

I'm not sure it justifies having the 4.7/5 rating yet, but I've also just started so I'm guessing it gets better which is why I'll stop myself from complaining about the few issues I have with the game (though you could argue that a separate complaint would be that, if it does get better, it could do a better job at making a first impression because as it stands the more I play of the game the less I want to continue on.)
Ratcatcher
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ratcatcher »

DW, I understand you perfectly. When I play Cataclysm Bright Night my dick keeps oscillating the whole time. It's distracting af.
Watser
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Watser »

Just completed Heroes Chronicles: Clash of the Dragons.
Since I got hooked on the Might and Magic games my autism took control and have since been playing through the NWC games in a somewhat chronological order following Sceptic's list (the latest rendition https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/the ... st-4346410). The Chronicle games is a set of 8 'expansion packs', for lack of better word, for HoMM III, each one centered on a specific faction. Each game contain 8 maps which are quite short to play through. The games are ridiculously easy though and will offer anyone familiar with HoMM III little to no challenge.
Just installed M&M VII with Grayface patch, party consisting of knight+paladin+cleric+sorcerer. Or maybe change out the paladin for another sorcerer.

I know @v2rus set out on a similar path many years ago but got quickly filtered by M&M book one, the scrub.
Gastrick
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gastrick »

Near the end of the game now of the first Diablo at dungeon level 15. Level 13 with the new level pattern and the blood knights really shocked me at first with how none of my magic could kill them, but I eventually figured out by testing my accumulated fireball scrolls that fireball is effective on them. Reloaded the town until I found Book of Fireball being sold at the witch house and bought it to progress.

Update:
Beat the final boss, wish I hadn't read spoilers of
► Show Spoiler
Wore a +20% light item for most of the game, which I suspect lowered the horror and "atmospheric" value of it.
Last edited by Gastrick on February 19th, 2023, 01:39, edited 3 times in total.
Gregz
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gregz »

Watser wrote: February 18th, 2023, 17:15
Just installed M&M VII with Grayface patch, party consisting of knight+paladin+cleric+sorcerer. Or maybe change out the paladin for another sorcerer.
Do it. Spamming shrapmetal is very satisfying.
Last edited by Gregz on March 11th, 2023, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.
Galdred
Developer

Post by Galdred »

I have eventually returned to King Arthur: Knight's Tale. The overworld strategic part feels a bit static, but the combat is pretty good indeed. I find it hard to avoid getting wounds, though, so I am not sure this attempt will end too well (I'm playing VH).