We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

What game are you playing?

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

I'm playing Diablo 1 again. Tried a bunch of newer games, couldn't stand them.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Dead wrote: February 10th, 2024, 23:04
Just Diablo 1 or modded?
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

Tweed wrote: February 11th, 2024, 17:19
Dead wrote: February 10th, 2024, 23:04
Just Diablo 1 or modded?
Tchernobog like you suggested.
Nooneatall

Post by Nooneatall »

Gran blue fantasy relink. It's good but it's extremely anime to where I almost can't stand it.
WaterMage

Post by WaterMage »

Finished Geneforge 1 yesterday. Playing Geneforge 2 today.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

Been playing Dynasty Warriors 8, it's the definition of "dumb fun" and it's great. I did try Warriors Orochi 3 before that, but it's nowhere near as good and isn't even dubbed in English. Given how much the characters in these games talk, that's a substantial turn-off for me. It's fun just laying waste to hundreds of soldiers in epic battles.

Also started a playthrough of Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana. I almost never play anime-themed games, but I heard good things about Ys so finally decided to give it a shot. So far so good, the action gameplay is fast paced and I've yet to encounter anything too off-putting. Graphics and animations aren't too great, but the location and aesthetics make up for those shortcomings, and it runs great on my PC at a locked 60FPS with little frame timing issues (unlike Dynasty Warriors).
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

I tried playing The Inquisitor. Don't know if it's a good game, but probably worth trying if you want to feel evil. e.g., mercy is considered a sin.
If the intent was to show how terrible society would be without Christian teachings, then the author succeeded.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

WaterMage wrote: February 11th, 2024, 18:32
I'll probably play Mutagen after Vogel releases the second game. 1 and 2 were the very best and Vogel's best work.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Tweed wrote: February 11th, 2024, 19:05
WaterMage wrote: February 11th, 2024, 18:32
I'll probably play Mutagen after Vogel releases the second game. 1 and 2 were the very best and Vogel's best work.
I'm about halfway through with Mutagen. Most of the changes are positive, although I think the new creatures overlap too much with the existing ones.
rusty_shackleford wrote: February 11th, 2024, 18:40
I tried playing The Inquisitor. Don't know if it's a good game, but probably worth trying if you want to feel evil. e.g., mercy is considered a sin.
If the intent was to show how terrible society would be without Christian teachings, then the author succeeded.
I'd forgotten about that new game, and I thought you were talking about this, which really confused me since (fantasy) Christianity is portrayed positively in it.

Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Tweed wrote: February 10th, 2024, 23:01
I'm iiiiiimmmmsiiimmming!! I finished Shock 2 and went on to Deus Ex.
When I was 14 I talked about Deus Ex in front of my mother and she thought I said "Dave's Sex" and was confused and concerned.
KnightoftheWind

I used to call it "Dooz Ex" :smug: Although I have no intentions of actually playing the game :scratch:
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I noticed Panzer Dragoon Saga was uploaded to vimm's lair, so I'm trying it. Don't have high hopes, as nobody's actually played it, but artfags love it.
WaterMage

Post by WaterMage »

Honestly, I"m playing Geneforge 2 and so far liked 1 much more.
DagothGeas5

Post by DagothGeas5 »

During sleepless nights I play a variety of games to pass the time, this one is one I would recommend for mindless carnage and shooting.

The soundtrack is also something I truly love

Main Menu Soundtrack
► Show Spoiler
There are destructible objects, increasingly huge hordes to maul, big guns, upgrades, scripted events and "goddamnit!" situations Alien movies style, detonations, secret destructible walls with upgrades and equipment stashed in, and no dialogue. There is a story in the form of written text, but aside from the character's screams when he (or she, as one can choose a female player as well) dies, there is only gameplay.
BobT

Post by BobT »

maidenhaver wrote: February 12th, 2024, 02:45
I noticed Panzer Dragoon Saga was uploaded to vimm's lair, so I'm trying it. Don't have high hopes, as nobody's actually played it, but artfags love it.
Brilliant game m8, though I only played the first part. I need to get the other bits and play them. Heavily recommend. Lovely soundtrack, too. Pretty long, interesting puzzles and environments, and the bond with the dragon is nice. Crazy just how GOOD older games were.

I have some other good Saturn games to recommend. I used SSF Saturn for the Emulator. I owned all these, before some cunt burgled me back in the early 2000s:

RPGs:
Shining Holy Ark < First person Dungeon RPG. WOW.
Shining Force 3 < Tactical RPG, WOW.
Shining Wisdom < Zelda-esque RPG, WOW.
Dark Saviour < (Heavily Recommend this one! Fantastic RPG with "Fighting Game" combat style. Multiple playthroughs with vastle different stories due to the "Parallel" system)
The story of Thor 2 (1 was on MegaDrive)

Non-RPGs:
Alien Trilogy
Virtual-On < Mecha Arcade game.
Knights Into Dreams / Christmas Knights < Make sure you have an Analogue controller for this. Weird but fun. One of them most "Different" games I've played.
Magic Carpet
Sonic R - This is a "Racing" game but actually pretty fun, and Sonic actually fucking RUNS.
Saturn Bomberman - One of the best Bomberman games, but only really fun with multiplayer.
Blast Chamber - If you ever get multiplayer working, this is a "blast" with 3 more friends. One person is "it" with a bomb ticking down on them, they have to "push" other players down to stick the bomb on them, while the other players are trying to run away and wait out the timer by spinning the stage around and hiding behind other traps. Really fun as you're passing the bomb back and forth and shouting at eachother. Me, two of my mates and my mum all had a laugh with this, lol.
Street Racer - FUN multiplayer mariokart-esque game.

Some of my fondest memories are playing Saturn RPGs. I'll go back to play more when I'm done with my current games. Parts 2 8 3 of Shining Force 3 now have mostly done translation patches. I only got to play part 1 when I was younger.
Last edited by BobT on February 12th, 2024, 05:53, edited 5 times in total.
Pay Station

Post by Pay Station »

I'm currently playing Judgment, and I've put in 11 hours, reaching chapter 3. The game includes a significant number of fetch quests, tailing missions where you spend half of the time hiding behind a corner waiting, and an abundance of cutscenes that don't move the story forward much. I haven't encountered any attractive female characters (I know typical Yakuza games feature dating and clubs). Although I enjoyed Yakuza 0, Kiwami, and Kiwami 2, I must admit that I find the Ryu Ga Gotoku games to be overrated at this moment. They feel slow and bloated, and the stories are average at best. Despite this, they receive praise everywhere, even on the other RPG forum.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I've been curious about Saga for many years, so I hope it actually is a lost gem.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

DagothGeas5 wrote: February 12th, 2024, 03:05
During sleepless nights I play a variety of games to pass the time, this one is one I would recommend for mindless carnage and shooting.

The soundtrack is also something I truly love

Main Menu Soundtrack
► Show Spoiler
There are destructible objects, increasingly huge hordes to maul, big guns, upgrades, scripted events and "goddamnit!" situations Alien movies style, detonations, secret destructible walls with upgrades and equipment stashed in, and no dialogue. There is a story in the form of written text, but aside from the character's screams when he (or she, as one can choose a female player as well) dies, there is only gameplay.
Holy shit I remember playing this on my grandmother's computer back in the day on HP games
DagothGeas5

Post by DagothGeas5 »

Vergil wrote: February 12th, 2024, 04:00
DagothGeas5 wrote: February 12th, 2024, 03:05
► Show Spoiler
Holy shit I remember playing this on my grandmother's computer back in the day on HP games
If you want to try something almost the same without having to re-play it, I bought it on Steam (though I have the CD) with a bundle of other games made by the same company and, in there, I found they made this game but with zombies in the past. I personally still prefer this one, but it is something nice to change things up

This is the pack in question:
https://store.steampowered.com/sub/1645/
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Played The Hobbit: Prelude to LOTR and so far its the best LOTR game after War of The Ring and Medieval 2 mods.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

Pay Station wrote: February 12th, 2024, 03:37
I'm currently playing Judgment, and I've put in 11 hours, reaching chapter 3. The game includes a significant number of fetch quests, tailing missions where you spend half of the time hiding behind a corner waiting, and an abundance of cutscenes that don't move the story forward much. I haven't encountered any attractive female characters (I know typical Yakuza games feature dating and clubs). Although I enjoyed Yakuza 0, Kiwami, and Kiwami 2, I must admit that I find the Ryu Ga Gotoku games to be overrated at this moment. They feel slow and bloated, and the stories are average at best. Despite this, they receive praise everywhere, even on the other RPG forum.
I literally fell asleep during one of 0's many long cutscenes about real estate so I can understand this sentiment.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Roguey wrote: February 12th, 2024, 10:58
Pay Station wrote: February 12th, 2024, 03:37
I literally fell asleep during one of 0's many long cutscenes about real estate so I can understand this sentiment.
7 should have been done with by the time you get the real estate game. Most longplays of normal games are over in three hours. An open ended game should have about eight hours of game in one playthrough, that can be padded out if there are minigames like in yakuza games, or a big dungeon to explore. New games are stupid long for no reason than storyfagging.
Element

Post by Element »

Replaying vtmb. NPC dialogue is good to great, but I've forgotten how bad some of the pc lines are. Early 00s angst. Needs a rewrite.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

Finished Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning. There's a core of a decent game here, but it's buried beneath mounds of filler content. If I had more respect for my time I just would have done the House of Ballads questline and the Legend of Dead Kel and Teeth of Naros DLCs and then called it a day, but since it wasn't outright bad I kept at it.
Last edited by Roguey on February 12th, 2024, 22:11, edited 1 time in total.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Element wrote: February 12th, 2024, 13:46
Replaying vtmb. NPC dialogue is good to great, but I've forgotten how bad some of the pc lines are. Early 00s angst. Needs a rewrite.
Early 00s angst is kino and the game would be way worse if it was made with modern sensibilities. Frankly I think VTM should always be set in a late 90s/early 2000s era.
KnightoftheWind

Really quite enjoying my time with Ys VIII, the game is way faster paced compared to other RPGs. Combat is fast and decently fun, and despite the game being "open world" it's a very structured one. Areas of the map are sectioned off, and the map even keeps a tally of how much you've explored a certain area, how many chests are left to open, etc. It's a pretty great way of making an open world more fun to explore and less overbearing for new players. I wish a lot more games did it like this.

And despite the game featuring a minimap and fast travel, I don't think they take anything away from the experience. Areas in the game are never flat and dull, and can be somewhat challenging to traverse, so it comes in handy when story-related events force you to return to the hub frequently. The story is also engaging, with pleasant characters that don't get on your nerves, and there have been some interesting twists so far. As someone who's only played Ys I, II and Origin to completion prior to this, it feels far removed from that timeline which means new players can jump right in and not get lost. That gap also extends to the storytelling, as those previous games had much more of a supernatural flair which seems to be absent here, for better or for worse. That may change as I progress further in though, who knows.

My rating as of now is a 7/10 (Good).
Element

Post by Element »

Vergil wrote: February 13th, 2024, 00:06
Element wrote: February 12th, 2024, 13:46
Early 00s angst is kino and the game would be way worse if it was made with modern sensibilities. Frankly I think VTM should always be set in a late 90s/early 2000s era.
Yeah modern sensibilities would be an awful addition. But the 'asshole' dialogue they give you in the base game isn't great.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Playing Ghost Recon: Breakpoint with some friends has put me in the mood for Splintercel so I'm replaying Double Agent after years. Used to be a big favorite of mine on the 360 back in the day. I miss when these games fulfilled a "ghost" stealth style niche before becoming mark and execute press one button to win hell that ultimately killed the series and relegated Sam Fisher to a cameo character in other Ubislop games.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Vergil wrote: February 15th, 2024, 06:24
Playing Ghost Recon: Breakpoint with some friends has put me in the mood for Splintercel so I'm replaying Double Agent after years. Used to be a big favorite of mine on the 360 back in the day. I miss when these games fulfilled a "ghost" stealth style niche before becoming mark and execute press one button to win hell that ultimately killed the series and relegated Sam Fisher to a cameo character in other Ubislop games.
Breakpoint was such a disappointing sequel for me. I miss sniping vatos and calling in hordes of rebels to get mowed down on the other side of the base while I sneak in.