We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

What game are you playing?

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

Vergil wrote: March 15th, 2024, 18:35
Why do these games never let you make your man and walk around on ships :sad:
Star Citizen is like that, but we'll never enjoy its full potential in our lifetimes.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Nemesis wrote: March 15th, 2024, 23:44
Star Citizen is like that, but we'll never enjoy its full potential in our lifetimes.
I said games not naked scams/money laundering schemes.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Isn't Starfield just like that?!
Envergence

Post by Envergence »

I've gotten re-addicted to Elder Scrolls Online, so I've been having a good time with that. :toot:
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

Envergence wrote: March 16th, 2024, 00:31
I've gotten re-addicted to Elder Scrolls Online, so I've been having a good time with that. :toot:
I've considered playing this so many times, but I just can't see myself getting into an MMO again anytime soon.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

How do you have fun in that game.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Vergil wrote: March 16th, 2024, 00:38
Drugs, probably.
Envergence

Post by Envergence »

Breathe wrote: March 16th, 2024, 00:34
I've considered playing this so many times, but I just can't see myself getting into an MMO again anytime soon.
I play it as if it was single-player; its structure allows for a relaxing pace, and you can ignore the MMO elements of it if you wish.
By being a max-height, max-buff masterrace Altmer templar and palling around with Bastian Hallix. Honestly, all the classes have fun elements to them. I am well aware the game isn't for everyone, though. :lol: I genuinely enjoy the story and exploration, but I do wish the dialogue layout was better, so you could more easily focus on the speaker, rather than the text.

@rusty_shackleford, druggies would be envious of the level of mellow I naturally possess.
Last edited by Envergence on March 16th, 2024, 20:33, edited 2 times in total.
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

Vergil wrote: March 15th, 2024, 23:50
You can play Star Citizen. There's not much there.

Edit: Speak of the devil: https://www.ign.com/articles/star-citiz ... lion-later
Last edited by Nemesis on March 16th, 2024, 14:33, edited 2 times in total.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Nemesis wrote: March 16th, 2024, 14:11

Edit: Speak of the devil: https://www.ign.com/articles/star-citiz ... lion-later
Do you know if they are planning to license out the engine eventually?
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Think I'm going to give Valkyria Chronicles a go on the Steam Deck. Lost my old save when a hard drive failed and kind of abandoned it, but I was having fun.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Xenich wrote: March 19th, 2024, 18:16

Doubt it, but the 'engine' itself is FOSS, just not their customized fork of it. It's just CryEngine which became Amazon Lumberyard which became Open3DEngine.
I don't think it has caught on anywhere near as much as Godot. However, I suspect Amazon is probably using it internally for as-of-yet unannounced games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_3D_Engine
https://o3de.org/
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on March 19th, 2024, 18:23, edited 2 times in total.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 19th, 2024, 18:19
Xenich wrote: March 19th, 2024, 18:16

Doubt it, but the 'engine' itself is FOSS, just not their customized fork of it. It's just CryEngine which became Amazon Lumberyard which became Open3DEngine.
I don't think it has caught on anywhere near as much as Godot. However, I suspect Amazon is probably using it internally for as-of-yet unannounced games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_3D_Engine
https://o3de.org/
I wish there were some game engines with preset design (though customizable) where a person could just develop or implement a game using that engine with customizable tools and assets. I know Unity and others have it to an extent, but it is designed more on the technical side of implementation. It would be nice to see something like FRUA in its concept (not style) where it would be easier for the average joe to pick up and create (ie game engines designed for certain styles and genre). I think if that were achieved, you would see a lot more games coming out that have really good game play design by people who either don't have the skills, or can't devote that amount of time to learning the cores to create their own.

Something similar to what Larian did with Divinity toolset. It isn't bad, and you can create entirely new adventures with it, but it does have many limitations if you wanted to adapt its mechanics and features. Maybe a more flexible engine that is modular in its design would be nice. I think that would open up the market a little allowing more traditional focused games to be produced by independents than the slop that is out now.
Norfleet

Post by Norfleet »

Probably because either the game is about walking around or the game is about ships. Walking around ON the ships serves little purpose. Either it's busywork that you are forced to do and/or micromanage to get on with the business of flying the ship, which is the actual interesting part, or the ship is just a thinly-veiled fast travel system.

Trying to combine these two very different scopes is hard because there's almost certainly not going to be something happening in both at the same time.
Last edited by Norfleet on March 19th, 2024, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Norfleet wrote: March 19th, 2024, 18:47
Probably because either the game is about walking around or the game is about ships. Walking around ON the ships serves little purpose. Either it's busywork that you are forced to do and/or micromanage to get on with the business of flying the ship, which is the actual interesting part, or the ship is just a thinly-veiled fast travel system.

Trying to combine these two very different scopes is hard because there's almost certainly not going to be something happening in both at the same time.
Make a coop space trucker sim where every member of the ship gets their own customizable room and is able to walk from the cockpit to the turret to the engine room and you'll be a trillionaire. It doesn't even need gameplay beyond zooming along a pre-charted course.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 19th, 2024, 18:52
Norfleet wrote: March 19th, 2024, 18:47

Make a coop space trucker sim where every member of the ship gets their own customizable room and is able to walk from the cockpit to the turret to the engine room and you'll be a trillionaire. It doesn't even need gameplay beyond zooming along a pre-charted course.
Iit's not coop but it has everything else you're asking for
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Outer Wilds lets you walk around while flying, but it's a very tiny ship. Just a cockpit, computer, your spacesuit, and some charts.
rusty_shackleford wrote: March 19th, 2024, 18:54
it's not coop but it has everything else you're asking for
What an unexpected treat.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Being able to walk around your ship helps it feel like an actual vehicle rather than your hat in a bethesda game. Especially so if it's a larger ship that should be crewed by many people.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

The Bay12 SS13 server has a map designed around being a ship rather than a space station. I'm not a transsexual so I haven't played it.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 19th, 2024, 18:58
Outer Wilds lets you walk around while flying, but it's a very tiny ship. Just a cockpit, computer, your spacesuit, and some charts.
Misread this as Outer Worlds at first and was going to call you a cocksmoker of the highest degree.
TKVNC

Post by TKVNC »

Doesn't One Man's Lie let you create your guy then walk around ships?

Never played it, but I'm fairly sure it does, or something.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

TKVNC wrote: March 19th, 2024, 19:56

I don't recall, I haven't played it since pirating it on release.
Norfleet

Post by Norfleet »

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 19th, 2024, 18:52
I didn't say it was impossible, but it's definitely not gonna be easy. Because in all likelyhood, one of these activities is going to end up being busywork. IIRC, Eve tried this and it was generally regarded as an annoying distraction compared to just the menu dialogs.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Being able to walk around your ship is about making the world feel more lived in and less like a bunch of numbers. It does not necessarily need to serve a purpose beyond existing, but it should.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on March 19th, 2024, 20:26, edited 1 time in total.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 19th, 2024, 20:25
Being able to walk around your ship is about making the world feel more lived in and less like a bunch of numbers. It does not necessarily need to serve a purpose beyond existing, but it should.
The Ebon Hawk serves little purpose besides being a hub to talk to your companions and pick where to travel but it has some of my fondest memories due to being such an enjoyable location.
TKVNC

Post by TKVNC »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 19th, 2024, 20:25
In that capacity, Zomboid does a very nice job. Especially with the new multiplayer, you can waltz around a vehicle while someone else drives it.

I can't comment on whether it's pozzed or not though, I haven't looked into it in that capacity.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Envergence wrote: March 16th, 2024, 00:50
Breathe wrote: March 16th, 2024, 00:34
I play it as if it was single-player; its structure allows for a relaxing pace, and you can ignore the MMO elements of it if you wish.
By being a max-height, max-buff masterrace Altmer templar and palling around with Bastian Hallix. Honestly, all the classes have fun elements to them. I am well aware the game isn't for everyone, though. :lol: I genuinely enjoy the story and exploration, but I do wish the dialogue layout was better, so you could more easily focus on the speaker, rather than the text.

@rusty_shackleford, druggies would be envious of the level of mellow I naturally possess.
I used to play ESO but it sorta ruins one of the only appealing aspects of the Elder Scrolls, the world. Back in the day, I played PVP in Cyrodil when it first came out and it was actually pretty fun, but now just seems super daunting to get into. The constant world expansions make it seem hard to get back into without being a whale as well.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

TKVNC wrote: March 19th, 2024, 19:56

Only the massive carrier ships do I think and they are just empty last I played a few years back
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

TKVNC wrote: March 19th, 2024, 20:40
In that capacity, Zomboid does a very nice job. Especially with the new multiplayer, you can waltz around a vehicle while someone else drives it.
Project Zomboid with the mod that gives RVs real interiors gives a great vibe similar to what I want with a ship. Any sort of mobile base is very kino to me.