Post by Ranselknulf »

I'm building a bunker, in Minecraft.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

Suissant wrote: March 16th, 2023, 21:56
Roguey wrote: March 14th, 2023, 16:44
Played the MSX Metal Gear here and there as a break from Wrathfinder, finished it. I liked the Metroid-like aspects, but did not care for the absurd item-restrictions (if you're in a room filled with gas, you have to take you gas mask off to use a keycard to unlock a door, always taking damage. If you're using a keycard, you can't equip armor). I wouldn't have minded needing to have the specific keycard selected to open a door if the passive items were always equipped and if the doors actually told you which number they are instead of making it a tedious trial-and-error process.

Regarding combat, the range on bullets for your character is too low for my liking, and lining up a shot is annoying. It was a bit buggy with the scripts too; a couple of NPCs were late in contacting me through the radio. Someone named Diane messaged me at the final boss to wish me good luck even though we had never spoken before. Despite all its primitive game issues, it showed potential. I'm going to be skipping Metal Gear 2, which requires emulation and doesn't seem to address any of my complaints, and heading right to Solid.
I played both a long time ago but I remember Metal Gear 2 being much more polished both in gameplay and story than the first one.
I watched an LP, and while this is true, it also fixed none of the things that annoyed me and added a ton of obnoxious design on top of that (extremely fast and heavy enemy spawning, silly chase through a forest maze, trial and error swamp maze, massive backtracking through larger levels), so I was right to skip it.
Rigwort

Post by Rigwort »

I had completed End of Dyeus and I can't recommend it. Nothing really inventive for such a short game and I can't say I cared for the world or the story that was presented. However, I have started to get into Tales of Maj'Eyal and am REALLY enjoying it. Infra Arcana made me realize I like roguelikes and ToME is completely hooking me. Currently playing as a halfling alchemist. Over and over again. (Also played as a dwarf berserker but he seemed overpowered).
BlueMemphis
Turtle
Turtle

Post by BlueMemphis »

Finished Wild Arms Alter Code f and moved on to Yakuza Kiwami. First impressions being positive but guess series is popular for a reason.

Initially thought game was too easy during the prologue so put it on hard (came in expecting a gta like so didn't realise there was a levelling system and that prologue kiryu is a maxed out monster), only for the timeskip to happen and kiryu getting reverted back to lvl0, then got my ass handed to me in almost every early fight.
As a result it's making me quite appreciate the fighting system as every incremental upgrade feels important, even the basic bitch +hp nodes.
Tweed wrote: March 14th, 2023, 20:09
My biggest interest in trying the redo out was the fact that they made Zed playable.
Just so long as you understand Zed as well as the other optional recruitable characters are only acquired right at the end (for zed in particular you need an item you can only get right before the final boss) and these extra characters have 0 impact in any cutscene.

Overall my opinion on WA: AC F soured greatly towards the end: the crappy dungeon design+layout really put me off and tainted both the entire ending and the optional end game content(that spooky super secret boss dungeon that houses the king of the demons? Yeah now it's 100 levels of tedium set on a featureless grid floating in a purple void).
Also random dialogue changes for the worst which just baffles me as they clearly had access to the original's script. Boomerang Flash fight is utterly butchered because of this, no more "I came dancing all the way from the fires of hell (...) Feel the power of the blade that has been forgotten to the far corners of legend!".

Initially was going to say the changes to the combat system also sucked but then Alter Code F is a shorter game so losing a lot of abilities from the OG goes along with the game being in the 30-40 hour mark as opposed to easily 70+ in the original. Overall 7/10, OG wild arms better but the remake is a decent nostalgia trip for the better models and cutscenes and that you can blitz through it means it doesn't outstay its welcome at least.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Well that sounds p.gay then. I might still play it some day for curiosity's sake, but otherwise just stick to the flawed, but SOVL original.
Derringer

Post by Derringer »

AC:F is like a really lame remake of 1 in 3's engine so the optional dungeon at the end being an empty void is just them copy pasting the extra dungeon in 3 completely along with the battle system and engine.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Gregz wrote: March 16th, 2023, 18:09
I'm playing Orcs Must Die! (2011)

It saddens me that games like these aren't being made anymore.
Great game. Make sure you play on hard mode after you finish the first campaign. Hard mode is the real game. OMD2 is also fun because it changes the balance around so that you can rely on spells and weapons a lot more and traps a lot less, if you want to.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

I've been playing Wargame Red Dragon. After you spend a hundred hours memorizing all of the stats of nearly identical units, you can start having fun in multiplayer.
Thor Kaufman
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Anno 1602 endless game.
Didn't really plan for a game this "hardcore" but then went for it. Fell 160 aristocrats (four houses) short of a dude on youtube who did a TAS. And I think he may not have doctors covering the whole area. Maybe with even more optimisation it's possible to squeeze in a couple more houses. ;)
But in my playthrough everything except jewelry is fulfilled. It is impossible to have jewelry fulfilled for this many people. Pretty sure the cap is 10 gold mines for a map.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Thor Kaufman wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 07:59
Anno 1602 endless game.
Didn't really plan for a game this "hardcore" but then went for it. Fell 160 aristocrats (four houses) short of a dude on youtube who did a TAS. And I think he may not have doctors covering the whole area. Maybe with even more optimisation it's possible to squeeze in a couple more houses. ;)
But in my playthrough everything except jewelry is fulfilled. It is impossible to have jewelry fulfilled for this many people. Pretty sure the cap is 10 gold mines for a map.
I played this when it first came out, hated it. I tried to replay it again recently, with the benefit of being older and wiser. Still hated it. Anno 1404 clicked for me and I finished that one but something about 1602's mechanics makes all my shit death spiral.
Thor Kaufman
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Thor Kaufman »

That's cool. Different blokes, different strokes and all that. I only ever tried Anno 1503 after 1602, didn't like it. Last time I played Anno was like ten years ago or so.
I actually just replayed it for some cool relaxing time but of course it ended up like it always ends up when I play a game.
Trithne

Post by Trithne »

Tried to play New Vegas again, decided I couldn't be arsed with all that nonsense and the mods and shit, and on a whim installed Jedi Knight 2.

Having a fucking blast with that one.
Thor Kaufman
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Alright. Broke the record of youtube guy with new street layout.
*Achievement unlocked*
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

Starting a new playthrough of Dragon's Dogma. Despite the game having a rather muddied look, it's aged well artistically and the combat is enjoyable. The pawns never shutting up is just as annoying as I remember though.
Ranselknulf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ranselknulf »

Nobody played the Diablo IV open beta this weekend?
BlueMemphis
Turtle
Turtle

Post by BlueMemphis »

Beat Yakuza 1, awesome game, onto number 2.

Sorely missing mesuking and pocket racer already, we lost that for goddamned toylets?
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

I beat PoE 1. I just started PoE 2. Let's see how far I can make it this time. *grinds teeth*
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

I finished Mechwarrior 5 over the weekend, which is finally a good game after over 3 years of updates and DLC. I'm having a ton of trouble finding something else to play for now. I have a lot of half-finished games that I don't feel like going back to and everything seems like shit. The next game that I'm looking forward to is Star Wars Jedi: Survivor on April 27th.
Gregz
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gregz »

GhostCow wrote: March 28th, 2023, 21:54
I finished Mechwarrior 5 over the weekend, which is finally a good game after over 3 years of updates and DLC. I'm having a ton of trouble finding something else to play for now. I have a lot of half-finished games that I don't feel like going back to and everything seems like shit. The next game that I'm looking forward to is Star Wars Jedi: Survivor on April 27th.
What's your mod/DLC configuration? Is there any part of MW5 that you would recommend avoiding?
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Gregz wrote: March 28th, 2023, 21:57
GhostCow wrote: March 28th, 2023, 21:54
What's your mod/DLC configuration? Is there any part of MW5 that you would recommend avoiding?
I'm not using any mods. Yet Another Mech Lab was tempting, but it makes more changes than just adding the extended mechlab, which is gay. It gives all the tanks way more armor from what I read somewhere and I don't want to deal with that. There's not really anything in the game I would say to avoid, but the most fun I had came from doing the missions in the Rise of Rasalhague DLC. Make sure you don't miss those as they show up at a specific date and must be accepted/started within a certain time frame or you will miss out on them. I have all of the DLC and would say you should get all of them for the hand crafted missions they add, but you can skip Call to Arms if you don't care about melee weapons.
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

The_Mask wrote: March 28th, 2023, 20:31
I beat PoE 1. I just started PoE 2. Let's see how far I can make it this time. *grinds teeth*
I'm in the same boat. I'm finding the sequel much better. Exploration and maintenance of your ship is fun, but the combat is complete shit.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

Nemesis wrote: March 29th, 2023, 15:26
I'm in the same boat. I'm finding the sequel much better. Exploration and maintenance of your ship is fun, but the combat is complete shit.
The real problem that I am having with the game is that Perception is so obviously OP. But other than that... let's see how this will go...
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

I have not played Mech 5 or Battletech but I played MW2-4 and MC1. In all of the games it seemed that light mechs were useless and the winning strategy was to just keep accumulating heavier and heavier mechs. There's a part in MW4 Mercenaries in the arena, where you have to work your way up from light mechs to assault mechs. The announcer comments on one of the lighter weight classes, "These are more fun to watch than the assault mechs, which are basically just turret matches". Yeah, that's the basically the late game every time.

The games would be more fun if they were a bit more simulationist. An armor penetration and degradation system instead of the armor as HP bars for body parts. More vehicle and infantry enemies to add variety. More missile variety- laser-guided, heat-seeking, MLRS, thermobaric. More weapons, like automatic grenade launchers, recoilless rifles, cluster bombs. Imagine if you had to fight an assault mech who was protected by infantry with anti-mech guided missiles. Now you actually have a puzzle to solve. The assault mech's front torso armor would need a gauss rifle or heavy missile to pierce through. Lasers and PPC could degrade the armor to make it easier to pierce, or a heavy autocannon could pierce the weaker arm or leg armor. Those weapons wouldn't be very useful against the infantry though, who are more vulnerable to things like flamers, machine guns, pulse lasers and AGLs. A lighter mech could move fast enough to dodge the AMGMs and shoot the assault mech in the thinner side or rear armor with a medium autocannon, recoilless rifle or light missile, but it would be difficult.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Mechwarrior does have an armor penetration system. Machine guns have a chance to pierce armor and do internal damage. Or it may be that machine guns do internal damage on crit. They also have a high chance to make ammo explode, which does a ton of internal damage. It's been a while since I read up on all the nuances and I'm more of an SRM boat brawler. I'm pretty sure flamers are another way to bypass armor and do internal damage. It's been like this since at least MW2. I'm not sure how what you're asking for is different from that.

There are plenty of missions in MW5 that you can't complete without a light or at least a medium mech. There are two mission types in the randomly generated missions that specifically favor the two and a few scripted DLC missions that do as well. The best way to do demolition missions is to load up a Firestarter with machine guns and flamers as both do bonus damage to buildings.

Heat-seeking missiles have always been a thing. LRMs and SSRMs both have target locking. I don't really think grenade launchers or cluster bombs would really add anything to the game and they don't really fit with Battletech imo. VTOLs and tanks are also annoying enough as it is. I don't need even more vehicle types to deal with.

There are a ton of weapons in Mechwarrior 5 as it is https://www.sarna.net/wiki/MechWarrior_ ... /Equipment

Infantry are fun to step on. I don't really think you need infantry in a game about big stompy robots punching and shooting each other.
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

The_Mask wrote: March 29th, 2023, 20:13
let's see how this will go...
Good luck :salute:
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

Nemesis wrote: March 30th, 2023, 02:06
The_Mask wrote: March 29th, 2023, 20:13
let's see how this will go...
Good luck :salute:
Same to you, my friend. Same to you.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Did you play Whitemarch? The series peaks there and Deadfire isn't much better than the first game.

Whitemarch is quite good. It's probably the snow, snow makes everything better.