We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

What game are you playing?

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

Been playing "Cultic" for the past two days. As far as retro-inspired shooters go, it's one of the best. The animations, aesthetic and sound combine to form one of the finest FPS games I've played in a long time. The recent Warhammer 40K Boltgun comes very close as well.

It's more "Blood II" than the actual Blood II is, but make no mistake it's a very different game tonally. Blood is more tongue-in-cheek and parodies a lot of different horror films, while Cultic takes itself more seriously. The developer also lists Resident Evil 4 as an influence, but aside from being able to upgrade weapons and the design of certain enemies, there really isn't much of RE4's DNA to be found here. The game also insists on a particular graphical filter, but I quickly disabled it as I consider it an eyesore. The music isn't very atmospheric most of the time either, and the songs that were composed for it might as well be from any other game save for a few select moments.

Other than that it looks good, plays good, doesn't take up a whole lot of space, and it runs like a dream on my 240hz laptop.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

KnightoftheWind wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 01:05
Been playing "Cultic" for the past two days. As far as retro-inspired shooters go, it's one of the best. The animations, aesthetic and sound combine to form one of the finest FPS games I've played in a long time. The recent Warhammer 40K Boltgun comes very close as well.

It's more "Blood II" than the actual Blood II is, but make no mistake it's a very different game tonally. Blood is more tongue-in-cheek and parodies a lot of different horror films, while Cultic takes itself more seriously. The developer also lists Resident Evil 4 as an influence, but aside from being able to upgrade weapons and the design of certain enemies, there really isn't much of RE4's DNA to be found here. The game also insists on a particular graphical filter, but I quickly disabled it as I consider it an eyesore. The music isn't very atmospheric most of the time either, and the songs that were composed for it might as well be from any other game save for a few select moments.

Other than that it looks good, plays good, doesn't take up a whole lot of space, and it runs like a dream on my 240hz laptop.
96% positive reviews on Steam does say a lot. If you recommend it, that gives it an impressive resume. Cool stuff.
Ranselknulf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ranselknulf »

It's still Factorio for me. Got a game sesh tomorrow to kill even more alien bugs.
Priest

Post by Priest »

Ranselknulf wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 01:11
It's still Factorio for me. Got a game sesh tomorrow to kill even more alien bugs.
That's a long awaited game on my list to play. I'm afraid my autism will sprout and I'll commit ridiculous amount of time on it.
Maggot

Post by Maggot »

Duke Nukem Forever. None of the charm or good gameplay of DN3D and all of the cancer of various mid-late 2000s shooters. I don't think the devs understood the sleazy sci-fi feeling of DN3D because none of it is present with their shitty rendition of Vegas you can barely see through the blurry DOF effects. You just get random characters that fellate Duke then freeze in place completely until you get to the next scripted area and the gameplay involves waiting for waves of 2-3 aliens spawning in for you to fight.
Klerik

Post by Klerik »

Maggot wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 22:37
Duke Nukem Forever. None of the charm or good gameplay of DN3D and all of the cancer of various mid-late 2000s shooters. I don't think the devs understood the sleazy sci-fi feeling of DN3D because none of it is present with their shitty rendition of Vegas you can barely see through the blurry DOF effects. You just get random characters that fellate Duke then freeze in place completely until you get to the next scripted area and the gameplay involves waiting for waves of 2-3 aliens spawning in for you to fight.
Probably because you're playing the wrong version.

General Reign

Post by General Reign »

Tactics Ogre Remake just annoys the fuck out of me. Did someone mod it yet?
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I can't play a game that has those Precious Moments figurines your aunt collected looking portraits.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

You might be thinking of a different game like Disgaea or however it is spelled. The portraits do not look like anime shit since the game came out on the PS1 right before all that became super prevalent. Then again the tolerance level may vary. I hate the Tales series due to that.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

General Reign wrote: June 4th, 2023, 01:40
Somebody has made a mod that removes union levels. I heard someone is working on a port of that really popular Playstation version mod, too.

But, what really irks me is that class change doesn't have any meaning in the remake. Mixing and matching is one of the fun parts of these kinds of games and they removed it. Stopped playing it when I found that out.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

It's really lame and just makes me want to rush and beat it instead of enjoying playing it.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

General Reign wrote: June 4th, 2023, 02:13
You might be thinking of a different game like Disgaea or however it is spelled. The portraits do not look like anime shit since the game came out on the PS1 right before all that became super prevalent. Then again the tolerance level may vary. I hate the Tales series due to that.
No, I was thinking FF tactics. All the Tactics Ogre versions had good art.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

maidenhaver wrote: June 4th, 2023, 01:50
I can't play a game that has those Precious Moments figurines your aunt collected looking portraits.
Ha - in the 80s my aunt was the executive assistant for the guy that made them. The open secret about him was that he was a huge faggot.
SDG

Post by SDG »

Diablo 4. I'm chronicling my adventures on my youtube channel. It's pretty much everything I want from a Diablo game. Hits all the right dopamine receptors.
Incognito wrote: February 24th, 2023, 11:41
I'm * this * close to platinum on Dark Souls remastered. I usually find trophy hunting pretty boring, but I love this game so fucking much that even the most obtuse achievements (i.e. Knight's Honor) are manageable. Probably most of you hate trophies and dork souls and especially playing on consoles.

So the question is, what shall I play next (with keyboard and mouse) to redeem myself? From my backlog:

1) Tyranny
2) Torment: Tides Of Numenera
3) Wastland 3

Why tf would you think most of us hate Dark Souls? Anyways don't play Torment: TON. It's poopy reception is very well justified. I tried it and I don't talk about it.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

You would not like Planescape Torment either and it is one of the top games in the genre. You just hate lots of text.
SDG

Post by SDG »

General Reign wrote: June 4th, 2023, 03:28
You would not like Planescape Torment either and it is one of the top games in the genre. You just hate lots of text.
That's just the thing, if I played Planescape Torment I would bother to tell people about it. ToN I just never bothered to talk about, lol. It is blocked from memory, like a poop stain on a 3 year old piece of underwear.
BlueMemphis
Turtle
Turtle

Post by BlueMemphis »

Starting a new Dragon Age Origins run, been enough years since my last one.

Installed 50+ mods, let's goooo.
Last edited by BlueMemphis on June 4th, 2023, 08:19, edited 1 time in total.
SDG

Post by SDG »

Morrigan is my 2nd favorite mage slut, behind Yen of course.
Priest

Post by Priest »

Thought it had a slow beginning but ramps up. Never played the other versions though. What's annoying?
KnightoftheWind

From what I've seen Tactics Ogre has the same art style it always had. Which is great because I hate it when JRPGs go full animu.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

I've been playing We Love Katamari REROLL+. It's exactly what you'd expect and that's a good thing.
Priest

Post by Priest »

KnightoftheWind wrote: June 4th, 2023, 17:18
From what I've seen Tactics Ogre has the same art style it always had. Which is great because I hate it when JRPGs go full animu.
Same. Big reason I like FFXII
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I had to install the neutral color palette and no glaucoma screen borders mods to continue playing Elden Scroll.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

Priest wrote: June 4th, 2023, 17:07
Thought it had a slow beginning but ramps up. Never played the other versions though. What's annoying?
No random battles and a gimped class system.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

I was playing System Shrek, but then I beat it. Now I'm playing The Swoocer again.
Klerik

Post by Klerik »

I fucking love Silent Hunter 3. I can't deny that I have an unhealthy affection for this game. Even though I don't have time to really play the game like I want to, it's always in my rotation.

It's just so likeable too me.

First of all, it's a submarine game during ww2 from the German perspective. The whole idea of a submarine is just fucking insane to begin with, and the fact that poor klaus is scrapping the bottom of the Atlantic ocean and running into giant squids while the entire North Atlantic fleet from England and the US is running around in zig-zags dropping bombs on you.... Yeah survival horror at it's best.

It's up there with Resident Evil and Dino Crisis.

Also the fact that if you go to the North Pole the sun doesn't go away and all of your instruments go crazy makes me sexually aroused.

You think Metal Gear Solid is a stealth action game? LOL. Try sneaking into New York harbor during 1944.

Yes the time-compression navigation map is basically Fallout with trigonometry.

About to sink an ammunition ship. Very rewarding gameplay. There's other games on steam trying to improve the Silent Hunter 3 experience, but they are all over the place. UBOAT has the ability to board other vessels which I would really love to do. Hope they update the game more. RPG at sea is a good idea.

And when an ammunition ship catches on fire... You get a customary astronautical program for the sailors.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

You have talked about that game for the last time....I might play it.
Klerik

Post by Klerik »

General Reign wrote: June 5th, 2023, 01:05
You have talked about that game for the last time....I might play it.
I'll probably blab on about it for decades.

Gregz
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gregz »

Tweed wrote: June 4th, 2023, 21:44
I was playing System Shrek, but then I beat it. Now I'm playing The Swoocer again.
Why the fuck can't you use real names like a grown man?
KnightoftheWind

Klerik wrote: June 4th, 2023, 23:11
I fucking love Silent Hunter 3. I can't deny that I have an unhealthy affection for this game. Even though I don't have time to really play the game like I want to, it's always in my rotation.

It's just so likeable too me.

First of all, it's a submarine game during ww2 from the German perspective. The whole idea of a submarine is just fucking insane to begin with, and the fact that poor klaus is scrapping the bottom of the Atlantic ocean and running into giant squids while the entire North Atlantic fleet from England and the US is running around in zig-zags dropping bombs on you.... Yeah survival horror at it's best.

It's up there with Resident Evil and Dino Crisis.

Also the fact that if you go to the North Pole the sun doesn't go away and all of your instruments go crazy makes me sexually aroused.

You think Metal Gear Solid is a stealth action game? LOL. Try sneaking into New York harbor during 1944.

Yes the time-compression navigation map is basically Fallout with trigonometry.

About to sink an ammunition ship. Very rewarding gameplay. There's other games on steam trying to improve the Silent Hunter 3 experience, but they are all over the place. UBOAT has the ability to board other vessels which I would really love to do. Hope they update the game more. RPG at sea is a good idea.

And when an ammunition ship catches on fire... You get a customary astronautical program for the sailors.
I'm sorry I fell asleep, can you exaggerate the game a little so it's more exciting?.